Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
It worked in the new matrix. Neo tried to jump off a building and girls with blue hair thought he was cool and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Readers beware:
This does not work. Dont run into traffic expecting to come out with a waifu
What about all the shitheads buying slaves in these things? Anyone dumb enough to expect that would fit right in.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Doesn't everyone start out by being isekaied into some pussy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Doesn't everyone start out by being isekaied into some pussy

Not when there's a caesarean section.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A probably unwanted serious response: There's also the times reincarnation doesn't happen, whether it's going over in their original body, given a new (but already born) one or they take the place of someone else that existed before them. There's some wiggle room with that last one, since there's a question of whether suppressed memories counts or not. There's still the situations where they get out into the body of someone that died, or occasionally not.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in most chinese isekai webnovels it's transmigration, not reincarnation. that is, they avoid the unsettling adult mind in a baby thing (good) but instead take over a stranger's body and relationships like a pod person (bad).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bongo Bill posted:

Not when there's a caesarean section.

No man of isekai born can defeat macbeth

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I liked one concept, where the body basically was on autopilot and until the person returned or awakened basically wasn't fully aware or active. Leading to the mc waking up wondering why everyone thought he was an idiot that barely could tie his own shoes and the fail son

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dongicus posted:

why dont you try isekaiing into some pussy

"wait, I'M A *$#*@?! Reborn as Part of the Chaos Lord's Body!"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

"wait, I'M A *$#*@?! Reborn as Part of the Chaos Lord's Body!"

I would not doubt that there's some isekai buried on a website about just this scenario. I will not go looking for it.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Readers beware:
This does not work. Dont run into traffic expecting to come out with a waifu

I Got Hit By a Truck But I Wasn’t Sent to Another World! What the Heck?! (note: this was an April Fools posting by J-Novel Club)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I would not doubt that there's some isekai buried on a website about just this scenario. I will not go looking for it.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Just read this, and the most hilarious part is that it's better written than any other LN I've previewed on there.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Brought To You By posted:

Does Midori Days count as body part isekai? Comatose girl's spirit "incarnates" into the hand of the guy she has a crush on (actually replacing the hand with her upper body). Comedy ensues as he tries to fix everything and live his life without anyone seeing his person-hand.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Does Midori Days count as body part isekai? Comatose girl's spirit "incarnates" into the hand of the guy she has a crush on (actually replacing the hand with her upper body). Comedy ensues as he tries to fix everything and live his life without anyone seeing his person-hand.

I read that one a bit. Not isekai for obvious reasons but that does put Evil Dead on the table as some demon was sent from hell into Ash's hand. I guess we can also count Idle Hands as a similar example. That is assuming people accept The Divine Comedy as isekai.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Log Horizon is good. That is all.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jomo posted:

Just read this, and the most hilarious part is that it's better written than any other LN I've previewed on there.

Take a look at the tags if you didn't already. Supposedly they snuck in hints for some stuff they were going to announce shortly after, but I'm too lazy to look for that.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 6, 2022

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Monolith. posted:

Log Horizon is good. That is all.

Started a few weeks ago and currently on episode 6; will take this as advice to continue watching.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Jomo posted:

Started a few weeks ago and currently on episode 6; will take this as advice to continue watching.

Even though I liked it, people are down on season 2. And even though the OP in season 3 is good, it's not Database.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The modern Anime pipeline being Twitter posts > Web Novel > Webtoon > Manga > Anime Cour > OVA is wild

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

The modern Anime pipeline being Twitter posts > Web Novel > Webtoon > Manga > Anime Cour > OVA is wild

Rudoku posted:

Even though I liked it, people are down on season 2. And even though the OP in season 3 is good, it's not Database.

I'll update once I get there; still a while away. I will say however, the whole "hey, if you cook food normally, like you always have in the real world, it doesn't taste bland compared to summoning it with magic" plot is real dumb. Like, wow guys, must really take 300+ IQ to think of testing that out.

Otherwise it's been filling that fun fantasy action itch for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jomo posted:

I'll update once I get there; still a while away. I will say however, the whole "hey, if you cook food normally, like you always have in the real world, it doesn't taste bland compared to summoning it with magic" plot is real dumb. Like, wow guys, must really take 300+ IQ to think of testing that out.

Otherwise it's been filling that fun fantasy action itch for me.

IIRC, if you don't have enough cooking skill, then the food turns out bad even if you follow the recipe perfectly, which is what was confusing people.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Clarste posted:

IIRC, if you don't have enough cooking skill, then the food turns out bad even if you follow the recipe perfectly, which is what was confusing people.

Correct, you need to have the chef sub-class active as well. But...give they say there are 15000 players and 30ish (I think) classes available you'd think some of the players would of figured it out in the first day or two. I've got no issues setting aside my disbelief for the sake of plot, but it's just funny that everyone's either portrayed as either being a sulky depressed layabout or murderhobo the first couple of episodes.

Like, everyone dumped into this mystery world with obvious leftover technology (cars, modern buildings and windmills etc.) Is all "wow, everything sure is a mystery!" And then proceed to do absolutely no investigate work.

Anyway, I'm making the critical mistake of applying logic to an isekai show.

Currently on episode 11.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB1GosykLuM&t=581s

And there's probably been Spider-Man stories of him having just a little bit of Symbiote on him and having to fight off his evil leg or something at points in the comic or something.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jomo posted:

Correct, you need to have the chef sub-class active as well. But...give they say there are 15000 players and 30ish (I think) classes available you'd think some of the players would of figured it out in the first day or two. I've got no issues setting aside my disbelief for the sake of plot, but it's just funny that everyone's either portrayed as either being a sulky depressed layabout or murderhobo the first couple of episodes.

Like, everyone dumped into this mystery world with obvious leftover technology (cars, modern buildings and windmills etc.) Is all "wow, everything sure is a mystery!" And then proceed to do absolutely no investigate work.

Anyway, I'm making the critical mistake of applying logic to an isekai show.

Currently on episode 11.

If you are suddenly in a world where dying has consequences (known or unknown) against you, you are not going to take Chef as a subclass. You would take a subclass to assist your main class/guild in combat. Game logic is why bother with Chef if you can just summon food ? Other better things to put your subclass in like blacksmith, armorer, or anything to let you keep fighting longer.

Switching subclass in the game also dumped all experience and levels for that subclass so it was not as easy as something like FFXIV /WoW /EQ where you could not lose crafting skill. So only weirdos trained Chef and most of them did not even try to cook. I think the cat was one of a handful that discovered if you go through the motions (like a big larp nerd they were), and know how to cook the specific things, and have the ingame subclass at a high enough level, you get good food.

Plus you are assuming that everyone is just open to sharing everything. the city the main characters based out of is the rarity where everyone is trying to make it a good place. If the town they visit is an example of what else is out there, then open pvp, exploitation of the weak, and absolute guild take over are just the start you can assume lovely humans would also do elsewhere.

I like Log Horizon because the MC is an Enchanter. Played only enchanters in EQ and while it doesn't do damage, healing, or tanking turning your enemies to sludge from dps debuffs and making your party demigods is the amazing feeling I fought for and always got. Enchanter as it was in EQ or Log Horizon will never be implemented again because a group with an Enchanter and without an Enchanter is a vast difference.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To discover cooking you need somebody that a) was willing to take a mostly-RP subclass, b) level it up, c) knows how to cook IRL, d) has the specific disposition to larp out the act of cooking despite being completely unnecessary as far as you can tell and e) hasn't fallen into depression and ennui.

This is surprisingly difficult to find, especially among the population segment that's willing to stay awake past midnight to day 1 a new MMORPG patch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
to look at it another way, people who enjoy cooking might well take the useless rp subclass because of their interests. then when stuck in a mmo world where everyone is depressed, they might try cooking manually because that's something they enjoy doing regardless of the outcome. it's not the rare confluence of factors lh presented it as because most people cook to some degree and many enjoy it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kyte posted:

This is surprisingly difficult to find, especially among the population segment that's willing to stay awake past midnight to day 1 a new MMORPG patch.

quote:

it's not the rare confluence of factors lh presented it as because most people cook to some degree and many enjoy it.

As someone that has played and has been stayed up with other people for day 1 expansion releases since 1998 and having made small talk from asking "what did you eat for dinner" the answers are mainly "McDs" or "instant noodle" or "tv dinner".

To put it plainly, the Venn Diagram of people that "wait until midnight to be the first to play MMORPG patches/expansions" and "I made a five course meal with Duck A L'Orange" has an intersection best described as "maybe one person in another timezone and it's like 8pm for them"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the Cat was a serious cat roleplayer, so of course he picked up cooking because he liked doing it IRL and of course he's the kind of guy who, after several bland meals, would go "gently caress it" and try doing cooking the old fashioned way to see if it made any difference.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

As someone that has played and has been stayed up with other people for day 1 expansion releases since 1998 and having made small talk from asking "what did you eat for dinner" the answers are mainly "McDs" or "instant noodle" or "tv dinner".

To put it plainly, the Venn Diagram of people that "wait until midnight to be the first to play MMORPG patches/expansions" and "I made a five course meal with Duck A L'Orange" has an intersection best described as "maybe one person in another timezone and it's like 8pm for them"

I've been sitting here cackling to myself for the past 5 mins because this is 100% true and completely slipped my mind. For context: my one roommate whom I share the house with never uses the kitchen, and I've heard tales of him failing to cook the most simple things to a comical degree. He also averaged 40-50+ hours a week in an mmo at one point (on top of his job) and only chooses classes based on optimal min-max math that he cribs off reddit.

Sometimes you're so use to the blindspot you completly forget it exists. He also would 10000% just be a layabout in the town square if he ended up isekai'd into Log Horizon's game.

I retract my previous statements your honour.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be honest I'd be one who maxed out the cooking skill but doesn't know how to boil water using a campfire.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This all sounds pretty weird out of context. Do the ingredients themselves taste fine and the automation just turns it into gruel?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy tea

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jackard posted:

This all sounds pretty weird out of context. Do the ingredients themselves taste fine and the automation just turns it into gruel?

It's an MMO, so the way it works is that you have ingredients in your inventory, click a button, and then it deletes those ingredients and creates a new "finished product" in your inventory. There's no, like, physical interaction between the objects, it all happens on a menu. And the resultant food item looks perfect but tastes like cardboard, because ultimately it's just an inventory icon.

And conversely, if you try to cook normally without the subclass/skill level, the dish just poofs into a designated failure item (burnt charcoal or whatever) no matter what you do.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 8, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jackard posted:

Yes, an apple does taste like an apple.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Today I found out that Isekai Uncle already has five books published in English under the title Uncle From Another World

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Jackard posted:

Almost. Raw ingredients taste like raw ingredients, but combining or manipulating them beyond applying some seasoning counts as cooking and would turn into mystery mush for most adventurers.
Conversely, picking a dish outta the cooking menu would deduct your ingredients and give you a very pretty but entirely flavorless finished dish.

So people would have to rely on flavorless food with salt or get used to whatever fruits they have on hand. Can't even chop some veggies for a salad.

There was also the secondary issue that most people could not really handle the transition from "fighting monsters on a screen" to "I am personally stabbing that thing in the head" so there was a huge population of combat-specced characters who wouldn't bring themselves to do the one thing they could do, which would contribute to their depression.
And there was body dysphoria to boot.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 8, 2022

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kyte posted:

Almost. Raw ingredients taste like raw ingredients, but combining or manipulating them beyond applying some seasoning counts as cooking and would turn into mystery mush for most adventurers.

So people would have to rely on flavorless food with salt or get used to whatever fruits they have on hand. Can't even chop some veggies for a salad.
They can still add salt and pepper? What about other things like sauce or butter? Cheese on a cracker? This plot point seems dumber the closer you look at it.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's specifically things that count as ingredients in the inventory system. So things like raw vegetables, salt and pepper, raw fruits. Sauce isn't an ingredient under this system, nor is butter or cheese, but milk is.