Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The wheelbase of the ioniq5 is apparently longer than the pallisade but I don’t understand how the rear cargo can be tiny where the pallisade has a poo poo ton of room even behind the 3rd row. Overhangs I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Normal Barbarian posted:

I love Volvos and want an electric car, but I have been told that the Polestar is way overpriced for the performance it offers (particularly the range).
Given you’re not into the SUV/crossover lifestyle, have you actually priced it vs comparable-battery-stat cars (including Volvo’s offerings, like the C40 which looks on the smaller side for a crossover) and considered that shape/size has its own value?

I was pretty happy to pay what I did for my Polestar given the dearth of non fugly and/or non gigantic EVs available Stateside, and the fact that all the truly small EVs (Bolt, Mini, etc) have even worse battery size / charging speeds. And it’s a nice (as in fit, finish, engineering) car on its own merits. I’ve found the 150 kW charge speed to be just good enough that I don’t feel like I’m the one waiting for it, given my stops always involve two or more of pee/eat/call/research/shop.

The Ioniq 5 is the next gen newer re: battery / charging speed, but really is a huge loving barge in person. It has a cool shape vs equivalently long/wide actual-SUVs, but it is still real big inside and out. (As noted just upthread, part of the size is the width.)

Def worth sticking your head in one though. And a Polestar 2 if you’re near a Polestar Space. And the C40 since you’re Volvo inclined.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Normal Barbarian posted:

I love Volvos and want an electric car, but I have been told that the Polestar is way overpriced for the performance it offers (particularly the range).

I was pointed toward the ID.4 and Ioniq 5. Ioniq 5 looks better (in several ways).

An electric V50 would be my ideal car. I dislike SUVs but lol America.

I have a 5 mile daily commute and access to free chargers at work. I drive the 350 miles from LA to Oakland every 1-2 months, and I would prefer a car that doesn't have to stop multiple times along the way. I am not militantly anti-Tesla, but I hate the lack of dash and physical controls.

Does Ioniq 5 fit? Are there alternatives I'm overlooking? This is a new consumer space for me.

It doesn't need to be zippy. I'm trying to talk myself down from AWD and HUDs and such. I've lived without those things my whole life; my 2005 S40 2.4i is the best thing I've ever driven.

Range is only one of the things to consider with a 350mi drive periodically - few will do that range even one way.
None will get away without charging and you might not want to stick around for how long it takes to not have to charge on the way home.
Some options will even need three or four charges.
For these sorts of trips you should look into charging times - you will have to stop, but the car you are in and the charging station you are at determines how long it'll take.
Volvo has the C40 and XC40 EVs, but their charging curves are not so great as far as I have heard, and their battery range is probably 4 charges over a round trip to be safe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Normal Barbarian posted:

I was pointed toward the ID.4 and Ioniq 5. Ioniq 5 looks better (in several ways).

I have a 5 mile daily commute and access to free chargers at work. I drive the 350 miles from LA to Oakland every 1-2 months, and I would prefer a car that doesn't have to stop multiple times along the way. I am not militantly anti-Tesla, but I hate the lack of dash and physical controls.

Does Ioniq 5 fit? Are there alternatives I'm overlooking? This is a new consumer space for me.

It doesn't need to be zippy. I'm trying to talk myself down from AWD and HUDs and such. I've lived without those things my whole life; my 2005 S40 2.4i is the best thing I've ever driven.

Polestar owner here: you should really test drive some vehicles and decide for yourself, the performance is actually what led me to choose the Polestar 2 over other options. At 350 miles you're probably looking at 1-2 long charging stops; this is going to be route and EV dependent. Check out A Better Route Planner, you can see how various EVs perform on the specific routes you use

Another thing to keep in mind is that Polestar doesn't do dealer markup; I ordered through the website, paid MSRP, and never once went to a dealership or had to deal with haggling or upcharging. I looked at the Ioniq 5, but my local dealer didn't know when they would get any and was charging $7k markup for other EVs, plus god knows how much dealer bullshit would get added to that. Ford was doing $10k markup for the Mustang, which seems absolutely not worth it. Tesla was a better price than the Polestar, and no markup, but the federal incentive shrank that gap considerably and I preferred driving the Polestar so that's what I went with.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Normal Barbarian posted:

Like was previously mentioned, you should check out A Better Route planner, you can get a quick idea on what the long distance drive would be like in different cars. For example I just threw in LA to Oakland in the Ioniq 5 RWD: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=c0668336-543b-46d5-b3b8-85fd2288b46a

You can see you'd need 2 charging stops, one for 6 minutes, and one for 15 minutes. Or put in the ID.4 RWD: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=27324a38-a72b-4353-8d51-0482e2e6f13f 2 stops, one for 20 minutes, the other for 39 minutes. Tesla model 3 LR https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=7f5e54e8-efa2-4604-9a1c-e2898eb7a019 only 1 stop, 23 minutes. Polestar https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=ba07e1e3-05f7-460c-9809-8beea3a439ab 2 stops, 12m and 36m, and so on with the different cars out.

Charging really varies a lot right now (the Leaf would take 3 stops, for 32m, 25m, and 34m).

If you're not looking to buy right this second, hate SUVs, and aren't a fan of the buttonless Tesla, the Ioniq 6 is supposed to be out the beginning of next year which is a sedan full of physical buttons, and should be practically a clone of the electrical system in the Ioniq 5 while priced lower than the 5.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

The wheelbase of the ioniq5 is apparently longer than the pallisade but I don’t understand how the rear cargo can be tiny where the pallisade has a poo poo ton of room even behind the 3rd row. Overhangs I guess.

The Palisade is still longer, and wider.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bitprophet posted:

I was pretty happy to pay what I did for my Polestar given the dearth of non fugly and/or non gigantic EVs available Stateside, and the fact that all the truly small EVs (Bolt, Mini, etc) have even worse battery size / charging speeds. And it’s a nice (as in fit, finish, engineering) car on its own merits. I’ve found the 150 kW charge speed to be just good enough that I don’t feel like I’m the one waiting for it, given my stops always involve two or more of pee/eat/call/research/shop.

The Ioniq 5 is the next gen newer re: battery / charging speed, but really is a huge loving barge in person. It has a cool shape vs equivalently long/wide actual-SUVs, but it is still real big inside and out. (As noted just upthread, part of the size is the width.)

The Ioniq 5 is basically one inch longer and one inch wider than the Polestar 2. They have nearly the exact same footprint. They are also pretty much the same weight comparing AWD to AWD. The Ioniq is taller but I don’t think it call it a barge if the Polestar is your point of reference.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Fellow Polestar 2 owners: Do you ever get a periodic noise from behind the center console/vents that sounds like the car is beatboxing some House music? It's a rhythmic, "oom pah, oom pah" noise, about once a second, usually shortly after I start driving and it can be a just a couple of times, or dozens. It sounds to me like some louver/solenoid that can't decide whether it wants to stay open or shut, but :iiam:

I guess while I'm at it I'm curious if anyone else's cooling fan seems especially boomy when it's running?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Some people are so weird about the size of the ioniq for some reason. It’s like an inch longer and wider than a rav4. I guess because of the way it looks they expect a golf but it’s an extremely average compact cuv size

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Infinotize posted:

Some people are so weird about the size of the ioniq for some reason. It’s like an inch longer and wider than a rav4. I guess because of the way it looks they expect a golf but it’s an extremely average compact cuv size

It's funny because I was hoping it was going to be bigger and was a little disappointed :haw:

Oh my that sounds rude

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Infinotize posted:

It’s absolutely insane to me that people keep acting like it’s a loving Expedition. Similarly, it blows my mind when I see people describe the Polestar 2 like it’s an SUV just because it rides slightly higher than an Accord.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

umbrage posted:

Fellow Polestar 2 owners: Do you ever get a periodic noise from behind the center console/vents that sounds like the car is beatboxing some House music? It's a rhythmic, "oom pah, oom pah" noise, about once a second, usually shortly after I start driving and it can be a just a couple of times, or dozens. It sounds to me like some louver/solenoid that can't decide whether it wants to stay open or shut, but :iiam:

I guess while I'm at it I'm curious if anyone else's cooling fan seems especially boomy when it's running?

Haven't experienced this, sorry. Could be worth calling in?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
US centric, but apparently the Inflation Reduction Act is actually for real going to happen, has anyone seen how the final language is going to change the EV tax credit situation?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Three Olives posted:

US centric, but apparently the Inflation Reduction Act is actually for real going to happen, has anyone seen how the final language is going to change the EV tax credit situation?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40760444/electric-car-ev-incentives-legislation/

* $7500 rebate on new EVs
* Can be applied at time of sale
* Valid through 2032
* No cap on number of vehicles sold
* Upper income limit of $150k (single) or $300k (filing jointly)
* Upper MSRP limit or $80k (vans, trucks, and SUVs) or $55k (anything else)
* 40% of the vehicle's materials must be sourced from the US, increasing by 10% to year to a max of 80%
* Vehicle's battery components must be assembled in the US, starting at 50% and eventually increasing to 100%

There's going to be a rebate on Used EVs as well
* Used EVs receive a rebate of $4000 or 30% of sale price, whichever is smaller
* Vehicle must be at least 2 years old and selling for no more than $25k.
* Upper income limit or $75k (single) or $150k (filing jointly)

The language may also apply to other kinds of vehicles, like those that run on hydrogen

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Applying the rebate instantly instead of some hosed up maybe tax credit is great.

LA DWP also does a limited Used Electric/Plug In Hybrid rebate so this is great.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Applying the rebate instantly instead of some hosed up maybe tax credit is great.

Hell yeah it is. What’s not nice is the $50k car and $80k truck limits. They should diminish in values over their respective amounts rather than vanish entirely.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

So if the act passes, Tesla 3 becomes a no-brainer, in part because nothing else will be available. Will it go into effect immediately?

everyone posted:

Just the info/guidance I needed

You are all amazing and beautiful and I love you.

In general it looks like I need to get over my aversion to SUVs and Teslas. gently caress this stupid country for only offering giant idiotmobiles. I want a small idiotmobile, goddamnit. I'm annoyed that other places get things like the ID.3 and Q2. Bleh.

I'm gonna test drive the Ioniq and Polestar, for sure. It's a 15 minute drive to the LA Polestar space. Renting a car for a weekend is definitely also doable. The one-stop Oakland trip in the Model 3 is really hard to ignore.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Normal Barbarian posted:

So if the act passes, Tesla 3 becomes a no-brainer, in part because nothing else will be available. Will it go into effect immediately?

In general it looks like I need to get over my aversion to SUVs and Teslas. gently caress this stupid country for only offering giant idiotmobiles. I want a small idiotmobile, goddamnit. I'm annoyed that other places get things like the ID.3 and Q2. Bleh.

I'm gonna test drive the Ioniq and Polestar, for sure. It's a 15 minute drive to the LA Polestar space. Renting a car for a weekend is definitely also doable. The one-stop Oakland trip in the Model 3 is really hard to ignore.

It probably won't go into effect until '23. e: Yup looks like it applies to purchases made after December 31, 2022

When I test drove a Polestar someone drove one to a place that I specified, didn't even need to go to a space. My person was pretty chill, she answered any questions that I had about the vehicle and was apparently just driving Polestar 2s around as a full-time job

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 7, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Normal Barbarian posted:

The Ioniq 5 is going to charge faster than anything else out there assuming you’ve got 350kW chargers on the route which I’d imagine is the case.

Inside EVs does highway range tests at 70mph which you should take a look at to get a better idea of which cars can probably make the drive with one stop. Keep in mind that you’ll only realistically charge up to about 80% at stops.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I’m still new to the whole fast charging thing. But is the goal literally to just try to get from 0-80% inside of 5-10 minutes the way you would filling up your tank of petrol? People poo poo on chademo but for 200 mile trip it seemed fine to grab 30% in 20-30 mins. Obviously unsustainable for longer road trips I guess.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I’m still new to the whole fast charging thing. But is the goal literally to just try to get from 0-80% inside of 5-10 minutes the way you would filling up your tank of petrol? People poo poo on chademo but for 200 mile trip it seemed fine to grab 30% in 20-30 mins. Obviously unsustainable for longer road trips I guess.

You can fast charge or slow charge. Slow charge means you push a "normal" amount of amp to the battery pack, providing a minimal amount of wear on the battery pack. Fast charge means providing the battery values close to the maximum design amperage, providing increased wear and tear. Fast charge should be done now and then if you are in a hurry, while doing slow charge where possible. Doing fast charge every time will lead to the battery pack being damaged over time.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

SlowBloke posted:

You can fast charge or slow charge. Slow charge means you push a "normal" amount of amp to the battery pack, providing a minimal amount of wear on the battery pack. Fast charge means providing the battery values close to the maximum design amperage, providing increased wear and tear. Fast charge should be done now and then if you are in a hurry, while doing slow charge where possible. Doing fast charge every time will lead to the battery pack being damaged over time.

Right I get all that. My question is related to the gradations of fast charging. 50kw seemed pretty fast to me so 350kw on a 50ish kWh seems stupid fast. If my math is right that’s like 8 minute?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Right I get all that. My question is related to the gradations of fast charging. 50kw seemed pretty fast to me so 350kw on a 50ish kWh seems stupid fast. If my math is right that’s like 8 minute?

Range has become the main metric on new electric cars so you have increasingly big battery packs, bigger the pack, the more time you need to fill it up. The new breeds of fast charging cars with 350kw chargers have 70+ kWh packs, meaning that slow charging will take a lot of time. Also the battery pack cannot go full speed charging for long times unless you want it to melt, so it will run on a curve, flat out if the battery pack temperature is warm, slowed down if hot.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

SlowBloke posted:

Range has become the main metric on new electric cars so you have increasingly big battery packs, bigger the pack, the more time you need to fill it up. The new breeds of fast charging cars with 350kw chargers have 70+ kWh packs, meaning that slow charging will take a lot of time. Also the battery pack cannot go full speed charging for long times unless you want it to melt, so it will run on a curve, flat out if the battery pack temperature is warm, slowed down if hot.

Also the battery chemistry makes it so batteries cannot charge as quickly, especially at higher states of charge. Regardless of temperature charging is going to slow down as state of charge rises.

350 kW is a pipe dream with current pack sizes, chemistry, and cooling systems. No current 50kWh pack is going to be able to take anywhere near 350kW, even at optimal temperature and state of charge.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

pun pundit posted:

350 kW is a pipe dream with current pack sizes, chemistry, and cooling systems. No current 50kWh pack is going to be able to take anywhere near 350kW, even at optimal temperature and state of charge.

Sure it can. Once.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems like that just means there’s a market for premium fast chargers where your cars are parked in a drive-in freezer and the chargers can go 350kw with no consequences.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vegetable posted:

Seems like that just means there’s a market for premium fast chargers where your cars are parked in a drive-in freezer and the chargers can go 350kw with no consequences.

Costco’s dairy room is quite cavernous.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

pun pundit posted:

Also the battery chemistry makes it so batteries cannot charge as quickly, especially at higher states of charge. Regardless of temperature charging is going to slow down as state of charge rises.

While it isn't approaching 350kW the 58 kWh Ioniq 5 can do over 150kW on a sufficiently fast charger at low SoC (and will maintain over 100 up to 80%)

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Another question: I rented a Tesla model 3 and while there are a few annoyances I could probably deal with the thing I really dug and would probably push me over the edge on a purchase was the 3D overhead display that shows all the cars around you while driving as little avatars. I think it’s called FSD preview or something? Is there another EV with a similar feature or is that exclusive to Teslas?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Another question: I rented a Tesla model 3 and while there are a few annoyances I could probably deal with the thing I really dug and would probably push me over the edge on a purchase was the 3D overhead display that shows all the cars around you while driving as little avatars. I think it’s called FSD preview or something? Is there another EV with a similar feature or is that exclusive to Teslas?

I drove a friends Y and the way cars faded in and out of the sensors view was amazing. It would even read and display turn arrows on the ground. It would also show the light you’re stopped at and render the green/yellow/red changes in real time. Between that and one pedal driving I was sold immediately.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nuts and Gum posted:

I drove a friends Y and the way cars faded in and out of the sensors view was amazing. It would even read and display turn arrows on the ground. It would also show the light you’re stopped at and render the green/yellow/red changes in real time. Between that and one pedal driving I was sold immediately.

What Tesla has done with machine vision is seriously impressive, despite the detractors here and elsewhere. The FSD package is not nearly as capable as Tesla and its die hard fan boys seem to think it is, but the machine vision itself is incredible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I’m still new to the whole fast charging thing. But is the goal literally to just try to get from 0-80% inside of 5-10 minutes the way you would filling up your tank of petrol?
It's the "should get you through the next leg of your trip in the time it takes you to grab a bite/get snacks/do the AMPM rest stop" thing.

Normal Barbarian posted:

Please don't buy a Tesla, unless your only point of concern is range . The dumb Yoke design they're pushing, the general construction, basic interior... If you're spending the cash look at the competitors at least.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

the 3D overhead display that shows all the cars around you while driving as little avatars.
No one'# really pushing that yet because the confidence level of 'this is a car, no wait, it's a truc-- oh poo poo it's a motorcycle ' isn't good enough and no major manufacturer wants to have people rely on a system that isn't acceptably reliable.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 7, 2022

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Yup totally. And machine vision comes standard right?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Its not nearly as advanced as what tesla does with a full 3d thing and lots of data, but I know the hyundai/kia/genesis hda2 package at least has as one of the display modes where it shows the cars around you visualized on it. I had a really hard time finding a picture of it, so heres a screenshot from a video. You can see they're just generic icons that move around and you can't rotate or zoom the display or anything, but they do accurately show all the cars around you on it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Yup totally. And machine vision comes standard right?

You get the basic visualization if you don't buy any packages, to get the full FSD visualization you're likely referring to you need the full FSD package AFAIK

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I can set some jingling keys on my EV6 and it'll be about the same in terms of helpfulness while driving. It's real-time machine learning image/object recognition and it showing something does not mean the car is doing anything about it.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Buff Hardback posted:

You get the basic visualization if you don't buy any packages, to get the full FSD visualization you're likely referring to you need the full FSD package AFAIK

Really? This was on a hertz rental and I very much doubt it had full FSD package enabled. In fact I’m pretty sure I checked in the menu. I would think this was the bare bones implementation.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Given the Tesla only has a couple of 1 megapixel webcams and no radar I wouldn’t put too much stock in what’s on the display.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Nah, I've got none of the software add-ons for my Y, and I get the visualization. I wish it was a little better about things in my blind-spots (especially because there's practically zero view out the back), but it's still a really nifty party trick for when new people get in the car.

Tesla as a company still has a lot going for it, so I'd argue not to write it off entirely. But there are a TON more competitors now than there were a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

FilthyImp posted:

Please don't buy a Tesla, unless your only point of concern is range . The dumb Yoke design they're pushing, the general construction, basic interior... If you're spending the cash look at the competitors at least.

Disclaimer: I have a 3 on order. That being said, lol cmon, the yoke thing is only available on a 120 thousand dollar model S afaik.