Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Tried to play Graveyard Keeper this past week and I was really disappointed. Don't know if it was me having all the dlc or something but I felt kind lost where to go / everything felt like it took too long. I gave the game a good chance too, probably around 15 hours or so and I felt like I was still going nowhere and producing barely nothing. I got to the point where I unlocked some sort of dungeon and I was like I hate the combat in this game why am I doing this to myself. Like if run speed was just a bit higher and production was maybe a bit more productive I'd probably would have stuck around another 15 hours. Was really disappointed since it seemed like it was going to scratch the management itch I've been having lately. (Also I was recommended it by a coworker who told me Travelers Rest, which I had just recently played and enjoyed until I ran out of content, sounded similar in mechanics)

Anyways I replaced it with Gas Station Simulator from this month's humble monthly and that's pretty much the exact nonsense I was looking for, even if it's janky af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

is this the game that blasts sjws or maskwearers or something in the patch notes? its hard to keep track

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

buglord posted:

is this the game that blasts sjws or maskwearers or something in the patch notes? its hard to keep track

The very same. Also openly transphobic and homophobic too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Yup. And transphobia.

e: f;b

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah that developer is a real piece of poo poo and this is some satisfying reaping what you sow type business

edit:

:cawg:

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 7, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"What a shame" - jc denton

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah that developer is a real piece of poo poo and this is some satisfying reaping what you sow type business

edit:

He's been such a piece of poo poo on other platforms that he's been banned and blacklisted, it's pretty funny yeah.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
How do you even get banned from Bandcamp?

Edit: Bannedcamp

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lmao something good actually came of epic buying bandcamp

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Originally posted by FASCES:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

How do you even get banned from Bandcamp?

Edit: Bannedcamp

well this one time,

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Thank you for the Myst recs. I already played The Guest and GOAT Outer Wilds, but didn't know about that free URU game!

Protocol7 posted:

Apparently I needed some Hedon Bloodrite in my life. Good mix of combat, exploration, light questing, and the story seems interesting enough so far.

Also yes, there's orc women with tiddies, though not as prevalently as the art may have you believe.

It's legitimately a blast. I played through it twice recently (2nd time with the alternative melee weapons :black101:) and I'm really hoping for a follow-up from that team. Juggling a bunch of hotkeys for all the weapons AND potions took some getting used to though. For a throwback shooter, it's huuuuge as well. Steam tells me that two runs took me 60 hours.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
lol, just got a friend request from a random guy for my Holy Grail of... a giftable copy of Sonic the Hedgehog. I didn't know why the gently caress somebody would just randomly hit me up for that until I realized you can't get it on Steam anymore.

I assume it's just a weirdo who has to own every single game that it's possible to own on Steam. Sorry, guy!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
lmao imagine being a homophobe and making a gladiator game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just like looking at sweaty muscly guys being sweaty and muscly together for perfectly straight reasons.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Trickyblackjack posted:

[Hedon] is legitimately a blast. I played through it twice recently (2nd time with the alternative melee weapons :black101:) and I'm really hoping for a follow-up from that team. Juggling a bunch of hotkeys for all the weapons AND potions took some getting used to though. For a throwback shooter, it's huuuuge as well. Steam tells me that two runs took me 60 hours.

Hedon owns bones and has gotten me back into gzDoom stuff. There's a bunch of cool-looking other games in the engine coming up too, like Selaco, Vomitoreum, Apocalyptic Vibes, and Beyond Sunset.

I don't think it's quite as good as Hedon, but you might also enjoy Ashes 2063 and sequel Ashes Afterglow; the latter in particular has a lot of huge, sprawling, interconnected levels similar to Hedon, albeit in a mutant-infested radioactive wasteland aesthetic.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 7, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StarkRavingMad posted:

edit:

I had that on my wishlist for a long time. Glad I never actually bought it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

anyone played The Slormancer recently?

curious how it stacks up content wise, reviews seem pretty positive

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Trickyblackjack posted:

It's legitimately a blast. I played through it twice recently (2nd time with the alternative melee weapons
How the hell did you manage to make it through Bloodrite? The first episode is fine but then they just start putting snipers absolutely everywhere.

Also, yes, this is another Hedon rec. The awful fetish art hides a really good shooter.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jack Trades posted:

I just like looking at sweaty muscly guys being sweaty and muscly together for perfectly straight reasons.

Welcome to the forums, Comrade Stalin

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He's been such a piece of poo poo on other platforms that he's been banned and blacklisted, it's pretty funny yeah.

"i believe strongly in freedom of speech but only mine, not yours or steam's"

Truly incredible job of just shredding your good will over idiot bigotry in record time.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Vin posted:

Tried to play Graveyard Keeper this past week and I was really disappointed. Don't know if it was me having all the dlc or something but I felt kind lost where to go / everything felt like it took too long. I gave the game a good chance too, probably around 15 hours or so and I felt like I was still going nowhere and producing barely nothing. I got to the point where I unlocked some sort of dungeon and I was like I hate the combat in this game why am I doing this to myself. Like if run speed was just a bit higher and production was maybe a bit more productive I'd probably would have stuck around another 15 hours. Was really disappointed since it seemed like it was going to scratch the management itch I've been having lately. (Also I was recommended it by a coworker who told me Travelers Rest, which I had just recently played and enjoyed until I ran out of content, sounded similar in mechanics)

Anyways I replaced it with Gas Station Simulator from this month's humble monthly and that's pretty much the exact nonsense I was looking for, even if it's janky af.

When i played Graveyard Keeper a couple of years ago there was a mod with a config file I used to make the run speed 5-10x default, definitely helped me get through it, the base gameplay was interesting enough but getting around was just a chore.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Evil Vin posted:

No, that's just Graveyard Keeper's aesthetic.

Really whack rear end pacing and having far to many things to do that also barely do anything, all very slowly.

it's a poo poo aesthetic.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Graveyard Keeper was such a grind it physically hurt me to play.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Does anyone here have any experience with the Sacred series? (specifically the first two, I know the third one is bad)

I've been pressing through Sacred 1 for the last couple of days. I started it about two years ago, but dropped it before the end of the tutorial section. Earlier today, I finished the main campaign and started the expansion campaign (Underworld). I went with the Gladiator class, and while I got gear and abilities that let me tank a good amount of damage and deal with large hordes of enemies, I feel like I should have gone with a different class that allowed for more ranged and AOE attacks, or could pull off more cheesy strats.

I think I'll be able to get to end of Underworld without issue, but I thought about starting Sacred 2 once I was done with it. I was hoping someone here was familiar with the game, because I wanted to know what class or classes I should go with starting out. I know the game has two campaigns (Light and Dark), and I didn't know if it was necessary to play through both to get the whole experience.

I'd also like to know if there's a thread specific to ARPG/Diablo-likes in general, because I've got a few other ARPGs sitting in the backlog that I wanted to ask about, as well as some hang ups about I have with the genre that I wanted to vent about. I know there's threads specific to certain games (Diablo 2, Grim Dawn, etc.), but if there isn't a general thread for them, I could just ask/talk about them here.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Max Wilco posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with the Sacred series? (specifically the first two, I know the third one is bad)

I've been pressing through Sacred 1 for the last couple of days. I started it about two years ago, but dropped it before the end of the tutorial section. Earlier today, I finished the main campaign and started the expansion campaign (Underworld). I went with the Gladiator class, and while I got gear and abilities that let me tank a good amount of damage and deal with large hordes of enemies, I feel like I should have gone with a different class that allowed for more ranged and AOE attacks, or could pull off more cheesy strats.

I think I'll be able to get to end of Underworld without issue, but I thought about starting Sacred 2 once I was done with it. I was hoping someone here was familiar with the game, because I wanted to know what class or classes I should go with starting out. I know the game has two campaigns (Light and Dark), and I didn't know if it was necessary to play through both to get the whole experience.

I'd also like to know if there's a thread specific to ARPG/Diablo-likes in general, because I've got a few other ARPGs sitting in the backlog that I wanted to ask about, as well as some hang ups about I have with the genre that I wanted to vent about. I know there's threads specific to certain games (Diablo 2, Grim Dawn, etc.), but if there isn't a general thread for them, I could just ask/talk about them here.

Hi, I'm your gal.

So on Sacred 2, this is a serious suggestion: play each opening area. Everyone starts in a different chunk of the world, and the first few quests you get will let you discover "oh, these guys have entirely different gear and skills". One dude just has a Megaman arm cannon as a weapon slot. Some of your build is going to come down to what skill runes drop, but everyone's base kit has some real distinct tricks to it and it's kinda hard for me to go "The best move is definitely a Seraphim" based on the amount of RNG a build can entail early on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
TIL that Re-Volt, a forgotten arcade racer from 2001 still has an active community complete with tournaments and like a billion custom maps.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Mordja posted:

TIL that Re-Volt, a forgotten arcade racer from 2001 still has an active community complete with tournaments and like a billion custom maps.

I actually have played this game back in the day.

I feel old.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

How the hell did you manage to make it through Bloodrite? The first episode is fine but then they just start putting snipers absolutely everywhere.

Also, yes, this is another Hedon rec. The awful fetish art hides a really good shooter.

The spear's secondary attack is a really strong pull with a surprisingly long range that can send enemies flying and splattering if they are on a high ledge most of the time. Though if that doesn't work because of a small wall or something and you don't have any orc babes backing you up, then yeah you just have to run away

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You can play an Egyptian robo-cat with a gun for an arm in Sacred 2. I don't think there are any other classes in the game.

Similarly, I am confused how you started a campaign in Underworld without picking the Dwarf. There's a bug/feature that causes cannon shots to apply their damage twice to large creatures, so at some point you can one-shot dragons with it and roast lesser enemies with life-leaching fire DOT by socketing some skills from the vampire class. :science:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm curious how the performance for Sacred 1 is on a modern system, because when I played it a decade ago the zoomed out view felt like it ran at 10 fps. I wonder if that was a hardware thing or whether the game engine itself just has trouble managing it.

It also crashed quite frequently, I guess my dwarf was just blowing things up too hard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm curious how the performance for Sacred 1 is on a modern system, because when I played it a decade ago the zoomed out view felt like it ran at 10 fps. I wonder if that was a hardware thing or whether the game engine itself just has trouble managing it.

Probably a bit of both - Sacred 2 on PS3 is a slideshow for instance

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mierenneuker posted:

It also crashed quite frequently, I guess my dwarf was just blowing things up too hard.

Unless there was a community patch I recall at one point in time the game refused to open on 64-bit systems. So yeah, that code was nuts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Games > Steam Thread: Also yes, there's orc women with tiddies

https://twitter.com/mcnostrilcom/status/1514657112844120073?s=20&t=HApKjRwtpCceFZGwKEZlVg

also shame about domina because it had a great soundtrack, but lol at the dev's brainworm fuelled meltdown

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/mcnostrilcom/status/1514657112844120073?s=20&t=HApKjRwtpCceFZGwKEZlVg

also shame about domina because it had a great soundtrack, but lol at the dev's brainworm fuelled meltdown

It's a good game all round, and not quite like anything else, but yes: lmao at the perfect selfdirected nutshot

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Chorvs? I keep hearing conflicting stuff, and it's really hard to figure out if it's a tight and polished indie spaceship thingie, or a bizarre and janky mess that trips into some real fun here and there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't think I've ever actually enjoyed the combat in a Sacred game, which is a shame because they* seem ambitious as hell compared to most other ARPGs.

*Well, the first two...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mordja posted:

Never forgotten :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

I don't think I've ever actually enjoyed the combat in a Sacred game, which is a shame because they* seem ambitious as hell compared to most other ARPGs.

*Well, the first two...

Sacred always felt like the eurojank version of the dungeon looter- all the pieces are there and the game is very sprawling and weird and ambitious... but everything also feels sloppy to control and aimless and very poorly balanced for the player experience. If Diablo was Super Mario and Titan Quest was Sonic, Sacred was... I dunno, Zool or Wizards and Warriors.