Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I rode in a friend’s model Y and vehicles on the display didn’t really line up with what was around with them just blinking in and out as well. Seemed like an irritating gimmick to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So if I understand this new bill provisions, the EV market is about to have an earthquake. Tax credit on used EVs should make them significantly more desirable and maybe even drive the price up for people that currently own them up a bit, who cares if it costs $2k more if the government is giving you $4k, plus $7,500 upfront, you don't need to float a tax credit for up to a year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shelf or semi truck? Who can say

https://old.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/comments/v8onwc/apparently_semi_trucks_have_invaded_my_garage

I don’t think the visualization is meant to serve as a blind spot monitor, and if it’s not that then I don’t understand what makes it a “deal maker.”

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

knox_harrington posted:

Given the Tesla only has a couple of 1 megapixel webcams and no radar I wouldn’t put too much stock in what’s on the display.

It seemed pretty accurate for the week I drove it. It was nice to glance down at the screen for basic peripheral awareness but I still checked my blind for a lane change. If nothing else it made me feel safer, justified or not.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Really? This was on a hertz rental and I very much doubt it had full FSD package enabled. In fact I’m pretty sure I checked in the menu. I would think this was the bare bones implementation.

to clarify: there’s two visualization stacks

The regular one and the FSD one, I’m pretty sure to see the FSD one you need to have the FSD package, but I’ll defer to an actual Tesla owner

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Rivian's dashboard also does the traffic visualizer thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Buff Hardback posted:

to clarify: there’s two visualization stacks

The regular one and the FSD one, I’m pretty sure to see the FSD one you need to have the FSD package, but I’ll defer to an actual Tesla owner

This is correct. The AP visuals are cool, but a little gimmicky. The FSD visualization is much, much better.

However FSD is bad and dumb and don’t spend money on it. Anyone who gave them ten or twelve k needs to have their head examined.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hi all, please note that all thread bans have been lifted. Also because the nature of EV chat has changed to being more about present/contemplating owners talking, article sourcing rules are also out as being irrelavent at this time. Muskchat and excessive fanboi-ism is still frowned on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
from Aussieland, but the EV6 has a Blindspot turn signal camera that should be more practical than the Tesla cams.
That said, there's maybe one other manufacturer that has a Sentry Mode copy.

Also, I think Rivian said they're not supporting CarPlay/Android Auto, and Tesla doesn't have it either? I'd likely skip any vehicle without both just because they're so handy.

Three Olives posted:

So if I understand this new bill provisions, the EV market is about to have an earthquake.
I checked for fun and unless I want a Leaf or Fiat most other EV models would be out of my price range even with the 4k used credit. But I'm sure the credits will make a lot of difference for people that were going to look for a new Hybrid. It'll be an interesting lead-uo to the bill being enacted anyway.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 7, 2022

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I love the blind spot pop up cameras. That is definitely, along with a HUD, the biggest new car features I never knew I wanted, but now incredibly miss not having in my own car.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I’m still new to the whole fast charging thing. But is the goal literally to just try to get from 0-80% inside of 5-10 minutes the way you would filling up your tank of petrol? People poo poo on chademo but for 200 mile trip it seemed fine to grab 30% in 20-30 mins. Obviously unsustainable for longer road trips I guess.

Yes, that is the goal, no one wants to be forced to sit at a charging station if they have nothing else they would want to do. Often this isn't a problem since people can eat or take some other break, but this works better if the charging can be done quick.

But realize that we are nowhere near achieving those numbers. One EV comparison test mentioned how they managed to charge 300 km of range in 18 minutes for, I thnk it was Hyndai Ioniq 5. That is much less than the 1000 km in 5 minutes ICE can manage.

Also, those maximum charging powers listed in ads and specs are possible only for limited time. Teslas can charge at 250 kW, but only until the battery is at 20-35% charge, depending on model, then the charging power reduces significantly. The charging power of Ioniq 5 fluctuates in interesting manner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pun pundit posted:

Also the battery chemistry makes it so batteries cannot charge as quickly, especially at higher states of charge. Regardless of temperature charging is going to slow down as state of charge rises.

350 kW is a pipe dream with current pack sizes, chemistry, and cooling systems. No current 50kWh pack is going to be able to take anywhere near 350kW, even at optimal temperature and state of charge.

The benefit of 350kW chargers for the Ioniq 5 is that that it will spend a decent portion of the charge curve at or above 200kW if that speed is available. The 150kw fast chargers can’t max it out.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I guess I downloaded a new brake pedal as well as a recall on my Mustang Mach E last night. That was very cool, but annoyingly it erased all my saved charging configurations and charge stations from history. My chargepoint is right on the edge of range for my wifi, so I'm now waiting 15 minutes before it starts charging so I can add a charge location, which is really dumb. Mind numbing that I can't just set a blanket rule like "never past 90% unless I explicitly tell you to" but instead have to set a location profile etc etc.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

FilthyImp posted:

from Aussieland, but the EV6 has a Blindspot turn signal camera that should be more practical than the Tesla cams.
That said, there's maybe one other manufacturer that has a Sentry Mode copy.

Also, I think Rivian said they're not supporting CarPlay/Android Auto, and Tesla doesn't have it either? I'd likely skip any vehicle without both just because they're so handy.

I checked for fun and unless I want a Leaf or Fiat most other EV models would be out of my price range even with the 4k used credit. But I'm sure the credits will make a lot of difference for people that were going to look for a new Hybrid. It'll be an interesting lead-uo to the bill being enacted anyway.

Tesla is a 100% hard no for Android Auto / CarPlay.

Rivian is a "maybe???????" (I strongly suspect once their Amazon Alexa bucks start not being 80% of their total income they'll reconsider?)

CarPlay (as well as the new WWDC next-gen CarPlay) is a pretty "gotta have it" for me, so when it's time for me to replace my car in 2026 I might go Polestar or Ford (for the fourth time) since both of them are confirmed for working on the next-gen CarPlay functionality.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I got an email from ford saying my MME won’t get the recall software update and I need to take it into the dealer again, despite having it in there for three weeks while they tried to install the update that would supposedly un-gently caress OTAs.

edit - successfully installing said fix, I should note, which makes me extremely curious as to what the gently caress they fixed if it’s still broken

really got half a mind to unload this stupid thing

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 8, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I caught myself pricing out an iX xDrive50 and it does the usual bmw/Audi thing of the car seems reasonable but adding any stuff I want on it pushes it beyond where I’d want to go. Plus it didn’t even have around view it seemed?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

excessive fanboi-ism is still frowned on.

So much for my CAT INTERCEPTOR IS AWESOME mega-post. :(

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I wouldn’t use the Tesla visualization at all. I have FSD Beta and when I’m in a drive-thru it thinks the building is a semi. Use the side pop-up camera on initiation of the turn signal if you want to double check your blind spot. Or turn your head.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Tesla visualization stuff is neat but completely useless. Way more useful to have a map there

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

FilthyImp posted:

BMW i3

Absolutely love mine, moving to a Mach-E, as soon as it delivered out of complete complicated pragmatism involving being able to collect the tax credit because our our income level and the state of the used EV market.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We had one for 3-4 years. Loved it but grew out of it thanks to kids and range anxiety. The media controls were some of the best, but definitely shows it's age in an era where CarPlay/Surround Cams make everything easier.

Surprisingly they've popped up in price. I rember some in the 15k range and now more of the are 19k or so.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I wanted an i3 but I couldn’t get over the look of it. It’s…unique to say the least. The only cars in my budget were really the eGolf, Bolt, Leaf and the i3. It’s only gotten more ridiculous since January.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FilthyImp posted:

We had one for 3-4 years. Loved it but grew out of it thanks to kids and range anxiety. The media controls were some of the best, but definitely shows it's age in an era where CarPlay/Surround Cams make everything easier.

Surprisingly they've popped up in price. I rember some in the 15k range and now more of the are 19k or so.

My Kia Soul has gone up in price about $7k. And that's two years after I bought mine. Crazy

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kirios posted:

I wanted an i3 but I couldn’t get over the look of it. It’s…unique to say the least. The only cars in my budget were really the eGolf, Bolt, Leaf and the i3. It’s only gotten more ridiculous since January.
Kona? Niro?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Buff Hardback posted:

Tesla is a 100% hard no for Android Auto / CarPlay.

:yeah:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't understand why they are so adamant about that. It's such a dumb hill to die on. You don't realize how awesome AA/Carplay until you've got it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kirios posted:

I don't understand why they are so adamant about that. It's such a dumb hill to die on. You don't realize how awesome AA/Carplay until you've got it.

It ensures all apps and navigation go through a 3rd party who owns 100% of that user data. Tesla is a software company as much or more-so than a car company, so it makes sense they would push against those walled gardens.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The big draw for Tesla with these new point of sale credit is you don’t have to deal with an annoying dealership that’s going to markup every EV by 5k+, “but you’re saving 7.5k!”. I guess polestar is another option.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, and Polestar all adopted an online sales model and it owns. I read that Ford is talking about implementing a similar approach for their EVs that almost completely cuts out dealerships; it's bullshit that you can order a car through a website and may still have to pay a dealer markup for the privilege of having some douchebro try to upsell you for an hour.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

This is correct. The AP visuals are cool, but a little gimmicky. The FSD visualization is much, much better.

However FSD is bad and dumb and don’t spend money on it. Anyone who gave them ten or twelve k needs to have their head examined.

I noticed zero difference between the visualizations with AP vs FSD.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Am I missing anything in that the only options for a new EV if I want a small car is a Bolt, Leaf, or Model 3 (not sure I’d call it small)?

It looks like the Ioniq 6 is on the horizon but anything else?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Thwomp posted:

Am I missing anything in that the only options for a new EV if I want a small car is a Bolt, Leaf, or Model 3 (not sure I’d call it small)?

How small?

My understanding is that the Ioniq 6 will be a solidly mid-sized sedan -- it's within about an inch of a Ford Fusion in length and width. If that's in your size range, and you're looking to buy before 2023, what about a Polestar 2?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Thwomp posted:

BMW I4

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nuts and Gum posted:

It ensures all apps and navigation go through a 3rd party who owns 100% of that user data. Tesla is a software company as much or more-so than a car company, so it makes sense they would push against those walled gardens.
It doesn't ensure, it allows. Almost every vehicle that offers AA/CP also offers its own Nav solution, media players, etc. It just gives the user the choice to use a different interface.

Also at least on the Android side it doesn't inherently mean you're forced to use Google apps, you can use any mapping app, any media players, etc. that have built support for the platform.

Tesla's not pushing against a third party walled garden, they're pushing for their own.

At this point AA/CP on a touchscreen infotainment system should be looked at like Bluetooth. If it's not standard, the OEM is being intentionally lovely and should not be excused.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

How small?

My understanding is that the Ioniq 6 will be a solidly mid-sized sedan -- it's within about an inch of a Ford Fusion in length and width. If that's in your size range, and you're looking to buy before 2023, what about a Polestar 2?

Sorry, I should've been more specific.

I've currently got a Sonic (subcompact) and I like smaller compact cars. The biggest I'd go is maybe a Model 3 (but as others are currently discussing, lack of CarPlay is a dealbreaker).

I'm looking at the Bolt (but may delay getting one on order for a month or two to ensure 2023 delivery). I like it but was wondering if there was anything also around its size and cost (or costs no more than $40k).

I've looked at the Leaf but Nissan seems intent to let it die soon which puts me off. Also, I live where it snows so I need something with the range capacity to handle range less due to below freezing temps.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Is the current tax credit income capped? I think that's an unfortunate part of the new legislation. Not that anyone needs to watch out for rich people, but 300k family income isn't that wild in these coastal areas where we could really make substantial inroads toward EV adoption, and I suspect that in practice the cap will put a bunch of people into ICE cars that might otherwise buy EVs. That's particularly so when you look at the price of a lot of these EVs, which surely are being sold disproportionately to rich people.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Popero posted:

300k family income isn't that wild in these coastal areas

300k family income isn't considered rich in coastal areas? Holy poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cruft posted:

A lot of that is a function of the housing market being "900k for a 2b/2ba in a location that isn't 45 minutes from work is a STEAL"

But there's also the dumb "look, after daycare, private school, college fund, vacation fund, retirement accounts, savings, my $800 For Fun spending, car loans, and the Takeout Fund + Groceries we barely have $705 left over every month!" budgeting.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 8, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

A lot of that is a function of the housing market being "900k for a 2b/2ba in a location that isn't 45 minutes from work is a STEAL"

But there's also the dumb "look, after daycare, private school, college fund, vacation fund, retirement accounts, savings, my $800 For Fun spending, car loans, and the Takeout Fund + Groceries we barely have $705 left over every month!" budgeting.

We gave cruft jr the option of going to an out-of-state school or footing the down payment on a house after graduation. Jr picked in-state.

New Mexico now has universal free in-state college tuition. This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

cruft posted:

Well, goes to the question of 'what rich is' I suppose.

Median household income in SF is like $130k and the poverty line is $115k (for a family of 4) or something. 3x being defined as low income doesn't feel like 'rich', but in an absolute definitely is. HENRY or whatever, I guess.

EVs are still expensive cars, and the tax credit definitely does still impact decision making for that cohort.