Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bald faced hornets are generally pretty chill for a wasp.

For me, today was fly day.

A horse fly, maybe Tabanus sackeni:

A tiger bee fly, Xenox tigrinus:

Both of them were maybe an inch long. Absolute units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

McGavin posted:

Bald faced hornets are generally pretty chill for a wasp.
lol no

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They are absolutely among the most mild tempered of yellowjackets.

That said, they are still yellowjackets and will defend their hives just as valiantly as their cousins if they feel the need to.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

their little white faces are so cute/fierce

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bald-faced hornets do seem to be generally more chill than yellowjackets but they are way too big for me to be comfortable around. Yellowjacket stings hurt - I can only imagine what bald-faced hornets' would feel like.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They're equally painful according to the Schmidt Pain Index, but I wouldn't know because bald-faced hornets are so chill I've never been stung by one.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Makes me really happy my paper wasps keep coming back and that seems to be enough to keep the other kinds out of their territory.

They have never seemed to give a single poo poo about the barking dogs and slamming doors on the porch, for at least three years running.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

Makes me really happy my paper wasps keep coming back and that seems to be enough to keep the other kinds out of their territory.

They have never seemed to give a single poo poo about the barking dogs and slamming doors on the porch, for at least three years running.

I had to knock down a couple paper wasps this year and felt bad about it, but they seem to have a knack for starting nests in really bad places. I knocked a small nest off the umbrella on my patio table earlier this year, and while doing so saw evidence they had already tried there once and the nest came down on its own.

Paper wasps in general seem really chill, and the only time I've been stung by one was entirely my fault. And the sting was super mild, like surprisingly so.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Paper wasps in general seem really chill, and the only time I've been stung by one was entirely my fault. And the sting was super mild, like surprisingly so.

One nearly stung me once but I was actively herding her around with my finger for clear photos so scraping her stinger on my fingernail was pretty patient tbf

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Red Queen posted:

I live in the midst of a civilization of mud daubers, and they have always been incredibly chill & good neighbors

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

McGavin posted:

They're equally painful according to the Schmidt Pain Index, but I wouldn't know because bald-faced hornets are so chill I've never been stung by one.
We have a ton of bald-faced hornets around here. Ever since we had some landscaping done this year it seems to have destroyed all the nests on my property, which is fantastic, because the ones here were angry little jerks. I'd been stung by multiple, and chased by quite a few, so they had at least one nest somewhere in my yard. they hurt a bit more than a yellowjacket, which I've been stung by...probably at least a hundred times over the years. regular yellowjackets are of course the king shits of rear end in a top hat stinging bugs.

now if you want a chill-rear end hornet, european hornets are about as cool as they come. even handled one bare-handed a few times, and caught one right out of the air with my hand as well, no problems ever. they're really just interested in going about their business rather than picking a fight.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

poverty goat posted:

I live in the midst of a civilization of mud daubers, and they have always been incredibly chill & good neighbors
One stung me when it landed on my shirt and I happened to brush at it without seeing it. That hurt.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Huh, i thought mud daubers didn't sting

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I flooded out some red paper wasps while working on an irrigation system in South Carolina. Those stings suck, whole different level compared to yellowjackets and honey bees.

Sea nettles and Portuguese man'o'wars suck too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I will never know pain like when I had two red paper wasps from an in-ground nest I stepped on fly right up in my shorts and into my boxers and stung me twice directly in the nuts

kill them all, I say

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

lmao

your poor past self... glad you survived

meanwhile i am thinking about how i can befriend the bald faced hornets with oranges and jelly, like i have befriended the orioles

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ground squirrels! They’re like tree squirrels but on the ground

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Are those babies or is this species always that cute!?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

those little spots and stripes!!! adorable

their camouflage reminds me of coturnix quail

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfNvyxFs_a4

This guy's videos got me interested in bald faced hornets, they definitely seem more chill than other hornets he deals with. Despite living out in the middle of nowhere most of my life I've only been stung by a bumblebee (accidentally grabbed one on a flower once) and a yellowjacket and that's it so I don't really get the "gently caress wasps" thing. We get paper wasps getting into the house almost every summer and never had an issue getting them back outside.

Maybe they're allergic to me :thunk:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I can't have hornet nests on my house, but I am always extremely upset by having to have someone come and kill them.

Each nest is made by one hornet that starts it, all of the eggs are genetic clones of the hornet the starts the nest.

They make paper by chewing bark and other woody plants.

I like them, but not on my house or over my garage, where they will attack me. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3sj6edu3Go

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Each nest is made by a queen hornet and all of the eggs are her daughters, just like in honeybees.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Red Queen posted:

Are those babies or is this species always that cute!?

The third picture is a little baby one I think. It was smol and had bigger eyes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MagpieConcept posted:

I don't really get the "gently caress wasps" thing.
in addition to having a shitload in the general neighborhood and their frequent escapades into the interior of my house, my mom is deathly allergic to bee/wasp venom. so that definitely increases the propensity for "kill them all" mentality

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

Ground squirrels! They’re like tree squirrels but on the ground

They really look more like chipmunks than tree squirrels

Huh

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Thirteen-lined ground squirrels in this case, some other species look more like a normal squirrel

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ooh, ooh! I found a picture of that rad orb weaver we found on our porch awhile ago! Look, look, very rad spider! (I think she's an orb weaver, anyway. She is very bright and round.)

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 8, 2022

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Silver Falcon posted:

Ooh, ooh! I found a picture of that rad orb weaver we found on our porch awhile ago! Look, look, very rad spider! (I think she's an orb weaver, anyway. She is very bright and round.)

Yup, that's a marbled orb weaver, Araneus marmoreus. She's gorgeous!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Silver Falcon posted:

Great stockings :3

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

my cat is norris posted:

pretty cool assassin bug that was cleaning his antennae

these milkweed beetles have grown considerably in the last couple of weeks

The bug is a leaf-footed bug, Coreidae, and the milkweed insects are true bugs, Hemiptera.

Beetles go through larval stages and pupate. True bugs have a number of nymph stages which look kind of the grown insects, but with useless wing pads where the wings will be.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh dang, thank you! Tripping all over myself this week.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those thick thighs are the tell for Coreidae afaik

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Camping this weekend and this vole hung out with us for hours:

Also saw this wood frog:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

On Milkweed Bugs vs Milkweed Beetles, there are Milkweed Beetles:

This one was sticking around for a while, always in the same spot. Haven't seen it in a few weeks though. Hopefully it laid some eggs and the grubs will enjoy the new patch it found.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that is a very unwell-looking vole, especially if it was just hanging around for a while

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I found this weird cat.

Very friendly, eager for petting, but a little bit too big for laps.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

that is a very unwell-looking vole, especially if it was just hanging around for a while
That’s possible. He was snrfing around in the grass eating things also, but then just sitting. It was 100 degrees so I think he may have just been too hot to stay inside his usual nest.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

I'll never be as happy as this wasp slurping up a smashed peach is

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Neon Noodle posted:

Also saw this wood frog:

I think that's a pickerel frog, not a wood frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Bula Vinaka posted:

I think that's a pickerel frog, not a wood frog.
:doh: you are correct