Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Antonymous posted:

The Rehearsal is just a drooling mouth'd synechdoche new yrok

yeah, its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Antonymous posted:

The Rehearsal is just a drooling mouth'd synechdoche new yrok

A Dumb Synechdoche New York, if you will

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Synec-douche, New York

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

indigi posted:

we all know that Hollywood has an overabundance of trained bears that can mimic fighting an invisible alien, in fact they’re so cheap I own two personally

Reminds me how Nope is basically all about how training animals for showbiz is incredibly more difficult and hazardous than it looks, isn't good for the animals, and ultimately just not really a good idea.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

buster keaton film "seven chances" is p good. basically it's just him trying and failing to pick up women (he has to marry someone by 7pm to inherit his uncle's fortune, it's not that creepy). most of the women turn him down outright but he gets one or two bites only for something to turn up wrong with the bride to be. but what do you guys make of this gag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnflTNU8cbA&t=1690s

i think she just doesn't speak english but I swear I thought it was that she was reading a hebrew newspaper and he was like "eh maybe not her"

e: oh gently caress literally the next scene goddam lmao

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Aug 8, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ayup

Thatns racist

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Funny you can see how even back then the American comedy was already taking form, I. E. All setup no punchline

"what if you tried to marry someone but they turned out to be black?"
"ok it's ye olden days so that could be pretty funny, what's the joke?"
"thats it"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

are you telling me that White Chicks didn't have a moral

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Everything is to be taken at face value

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

just gonna post the clip instead of posting about it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwO-k-RqNA

It was a good movie but I might have preferred 90 minutes of the John Glenn Singers

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its a goddamn great movie

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I know this isn't the thread to discuss it, and I'm Down With China, but I've always wondered and I gotta ask: official diplomatic positions aside, why is China "taking back" Taiwan supposed to be a good thing? My limited understanding of the history paints a pretty dire picture of the split, and for all I know Taiwan is just an island full of cocksuckers, but they don't seem all that enthusiastic about getting pulled back into the mainland fold, and I don't know why the old historical claims should outweigh what the Taiwanese actually, y'know, want.

Okay, just gonna drop this here and roll on with my day! Thanks in advance!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I know this isn't the thread to discuss it, and I'm Down With China, but I've always wondered and I gotta ask: official diplomatic positions aside, why is China "taking back" Taiwan supposed to be a good thing? My limited understanding of the history paints a pretty dire picture of the split, and for all I know Taiwan is just an island full of cocksuckers, but they don't seem all that enthusiastic about getting pulled back into the mainland fold, and I don't know why the old historical claims should outweigh what the Taiwanese actually, y'know, want.

Okay, just gonna drop this here and roll on with my day! Thanks in advance!

if china "took back" mississippi i'd support it so taiwan isn't much of a stretch

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

i say swears online posted:

if china "took back" mississippi i'd support it so taiwan isn't much of a stretch

I mean, ethically speaking, if they're as lovely in Taiwan as they are in Mississippi, China can take both with my blessing. I'll cop to asking the question here purely out of 1) laziness and 2) ignorance, so I'll probably be an easy convert to whatever C-SPAM decrees.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i liked "prey". the predator fistfights a bear, the lead character invents one of the dumbest weapons i've ever seen outside of sword-chucks, and the movie does not skimp on the violence and gore. the cgi is a little wanting in places, but watching sci-fi weaponry do all sorts of terrible poo poo to the french will never get old

also any movie that depicts the french as the animals they are can't be too bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

idiot sauvage!!

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I mean, ethically speaking, if they're as lovely in Taiwan as they are in Mississippi, China can take both with my blessing. I'll cop to asking the question here purely out of 1) laziness and 2) ignorance, so I'll probably be an easy convert to whatever C-SPAM decrees.

from the chinese perspective, taiwan is the last refuge of a civil war faction that decisively lost. it's the last outpost of a foreign power occupying a part of the chinese homeland, kind of akin to hong kong and macau. these are perceived to be huge wounds inflicted by colonial powers, and teh PRC gained a lot fo prestige by taking them back (HK and Macau). Now why does China percieve taiwan to be a colonial possession if it's administered by chinese/taiwanese? It only exists because of american arms. imagine if after the civil war, the confederates retreated to virginia, and it only continued existing because the UK promised a war if america pressed its claims. although that's not really a good analogy because USA was a colonizer, not a colonist. A large part of chinas national narrative involves the century of humiliation, and taiwan is (rightfully imo) seena s the last vestige of western control over china.

Clear?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

could be a good premise but we're getting near parity of super hero/anti super hero media

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1556695251028418560

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

could be a good premise but we're getting near parity of super hero/anti super hero media

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1556695251028418560

his last hbo show sucked. maybe he gets his groove back

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

iannucci can do whatever he wants until the end of time for bringing me "eatin' so much pussy i'm shittin' clits, son"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

his last hbo show sucked. maybe he gets his groove back

avenue whatever? it wasnt bad but it certainly failed to reach its full potential

this premise seems like a slam dunk tho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
yeah it didn’t suck suck but compared to Iannuci’s other outings it was a massive downgrade

i say swears online posted:

iannucci can do whatever he wants until the end of time for bringing me "eatin' so much pussy i'm shittin' clits, son"

the loving congressional inquiry where the senator wants to establish a pattern of abuse regarding Jonah

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
https://youtu.be/eETuZBeSxuA

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I love Avenue 5. The airlock scene was perfect for our pandemic world. As far as I'm concerned, pretty much everything Armando Iannucc has done has been great. And I have a special/sad memory of the Death of Stalin because it was the last film I watched with my grandfather because his health deteriorated.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nichael posted:

I love Avenue 5. The airlock scene was perfect for our pandemic world. As far as I'm concerned, pretty much everything Armando Iannucc has done has been great. And I have a special/sad memory of the Death of Stalin because it was the last film I watched with my grandfather because his health deteriorated.

The airlock scene is really really really good, very accurate for post 2020 America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the airlock bit is very good but its the first time the shows really lives up to its premise and then it ends almost right away

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

babypolis posted:

the airlock bit is very good but its the first time the shows really lives up to its premise and then it ends almost right away

I don't know, I think the orbiting ring of poo poo and corpses is an amazing recurring joke. It's just so appropriate.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/frozenaesthetic/status/1556440138191966211?cxt=HHwWhsC88eWDy5krAAAA

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I was wondering why norphius didn't just start with hope because I'm fairly certain hope can't be killed by a wolf, but im also very dumb. The whole duel seemed like it would have been way more interesting if you had two reasonably smart people going immediately to nuclear weapons and climate change instead of futzing around with snakes and hunters

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I was wondering why norphius didn't just start with hope because I'm fairly certain hope can't be killed by a wolf, but im also very dumb. The whole duel seemed like it would have been way more interesting if you had two reasonably smart people going immediately to nuclear weapons and climate change instead of futzing around with snakes and hunters

yeah but hope can’t “overcome” a wolf either, but it can overcome despair at the end of all things

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

indigi posted:

yeah but hope can’t “overcome” a wolf either, but it can overcome despair at the end of all things

Aaaaah, that makes sense!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Aaaaah, that makes sense!

kind of but it’s still not clever, which it needed to be since Samael is supposed to be the cleverest mf out there. once the universe ends there’s no hope anymore, the Devil should of argued that technicality

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
It's the undergrad English student equivalent of

Ur dumb
Ur dumb x 1000
Ur dumb x infinity
Ur dumb x infinity +1 :smugissar:

I don't think there's much that would have made it especially clever one way or another

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
after Lucifer said I am anti-life, the end of all things Dream should of said “I am a Boltzmann brain. in fact… we all are” and then all the demon princes and countesses of hell stand up and clap and award Dream victory by acclamation

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In the comics at least the whole point of the game isn’t to come up with the most powerful thing, it’s to cause your opponent to hesitate for a instant, the rules being that if you don’t immediately respond, no matter how briefly, you lose. So making your opponent go “Wait give me a minute” is the win condition. The whole point of “hope” in the comic was that it was completely from left field and Dream tricked his opponent into trying to win by “infinity+1” .

To wit, in the comic Dream isn't going against Lucifer, but a lesser demon, and specifically notes said demon is the kind of chump who tries to win by going "Infinity +1" and Dream lures him into going for anti-life so he can flummox him with something unorthodox.

galagazombie has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Aug 9, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/fielderfits/status/1556319308690534400?s=20&t=VjhPrFf4Tjqmbm11FO1bYw

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Head like a hole
Black as your soul
I rather die then give you control
Bow down before the guy who remade your life
You're gonna get what you deserve .

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Does "Anti-Life" hit hard for people who aren't into comics?

The best part of early Vertigo were these flirting references to the mainstream cape comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

War and Pieces posted:

Does "Anti-Life" hit hard for people who aren't into comics?

The best part of early Vertigo were these flirting references to the mainstream cape comics

almost certainly not, it isn’t a phrase that occurs in the wild