Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

How do those compare with the K-sigs?

No idea, I've heard the latest kirklands are higher spin than the OG model? I pretty much only buy a bunch of 4* used titleists from lostgolfballs and then raid the lost/used ball fishbowl for any non-top flites, which is how I found out I liked Vice Pros.

e: Other than Titlelist and Vice I have no idea what the other brand sub-designations mean, so if I end up with a Callaway or Srixon or Bridgestone in my bag, it could be any kind and I usually pull those only when I'm hitting a 2nd after an OB or hazard.

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

I like Vice Pros and Pro Plus when I find them, but I generally drive 270-280 when I'm playing well (not currently unfortunately). Vice Pro Soft might be a better ball for your swing speed, or Vice Tour for a cheaper option. They also have a variety pack of 2 each of 5 models for like $20

The pro soft look good and I like the color options. I should probably do some research if there’s a specific ball color that’s best for colorblind players but white shouldn’t be an issue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There's plenty to work with here. For future reference, center the camera on your hands at address, not the ball.

There are 3 interlinked issues that you can work on. I'm not saying you should work on all 3 at the same time because that's a lot (unless you want to), but changing the first will affect the second will affect the third, and your body will react to being in different positions which may lead to worse shots until you correct the subsequent issues.

1) Grip/takeaway: Your grip is too strong* and your first move is a counterclockwise rotation + forward press to move your hands into a more neutral position (you also take your right thumb off the club during this motion which isn't really a problem, it's just unusual). From here, you take the club too far inside.

I'd like to see you with a more neutral grip. For some reason, a lot of people think this means gripping the club with their strong grip then rotating their hands into a neutral position at address. This is obviously wrong. Have your hands in a neutral position, THEN grip the club.

To help with a less inside takeaway, you can either use an alignment rod stuck into the ground that you would hit if you go too far inside, or just do the same straight-back takeaway preshot routine that Justin Thomas does.

*When we talk about strong/weak grips, we mean whether your hands are rotated on top vs under the grip, NOT grip pressure. That said, you regripping the club during setup makes me think your grip pressure is also too strong.

2) Transition: Because of your grip/takeaway, your clubface is extremely closed at the top (clubface pointing up at sky):

This combined with an over the top move leads to inconsistent strikes. The first part of this video addresses your right arm/shoulder feeling (timcoded link 1m52s). In the second part, he talks about the split hand drill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWnkBNyRnE&t=112s

3) Impact: Your body doesn't rotate enough through impact. Instead, your pelvis moves toward the ball and you stall out, so the only way to avoid shanking it is to stand up, raising the handle through impact. This is sometimes called humping the goat. The best way to see this is to save both these images on a desktop and then flip back and forth between them.

We should be able to see more of your left buttcheck at impact.

The easiest drill for this is to put something behind you (like one of those metal bag stands at the range) so that your butt is touching it at address. Try to keep your butt touching it all through the backswing and impact.

You can also try flaring out your left toe at address. This will facilitate clearing your left hip out of the way through impact.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 5, 2022

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
I thought about Kirkland stuff but sadly there are no Costcos in Sweden.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Autistic Speculum posted:

The pro soft look good and I like the color options. I should probably do some research if there’s a specific ball color that’s best for colorblind players but white shouldn’t be an issue.

I bought a box each of the white and neon red, but I'm also mildly colorblind. The neon red is ok for me, but I'm terrible at finding any ball because once I take my eyes off where I hit it, my brain just forgets all landmarks and I might as well be looking for an easter egg someone else hid somewhere on the course

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

I bought a box each of the white and neon red, but I'm also mildly colorblind. The neon red is ok for me, but I'm terrible at finding any ball because once I take my eyes off where I hit it, my brain just forgets all landmarks and I might as well be looking for an easter egg someone else hid somewhere on the course

I’m the same way. When hitting a bad shot I look away in frustration and lose the ball. I have to work on that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

How do those compare with the K-sigs?
I found a Vice ball once and it seemed okay compared to my usual Pro V1x but I didn't get to test it properly.

For the Costco balls, TXG did a launch monitor test of the Performance+ V2.0 which is the one currently being sold. I bought a box of them and found the same results: good off the driver, way short on irons, short on wedges.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Josh Lyman posted:

good off the driver, way short on irons, short on wedges.

Hah! and all this time I thought it was me hitting like poo poo. I've been short on everything with those.

Also thanks for that write up dude. That's going to help me a lot.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 5, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Hah! and all this time I thought it was me hitting like poo poo. I've been short on everything with those.

Also thanks for that write up dude. That's going to help me a lot.
Hit refresh on my swing fix post, I tried to simplify/clarify some of the suggestions.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I found a Vice ball once and it seemed okay compared to my usual Pro V1x but I didn't get to test it properly.

For the Costco balls, TXG did a launch monitor test of the Performance+ V2.0 which is the one currently being sold. I bought a box of them and found the same results: good off the driver, way short on irons, short on wedges.

I've had a similar experience, but I simply adjusted my club choice with them and have been having a good time with them. Their quality/price ratio is just so drat good, and I lose too many balls to want to roll something nicer

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I suspect that my on course swing is even worse. This shot turned out quite nice but was a lesser version of my pulled fades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UEvikiJdTQ

That Arkon phone mount works really well.

I'm quite happy with that walking setup. May have to put some sound dampening on the water can, it sounds like a harbor bell.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 5, 2022

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Autistic Speculum posted:

Can anyone recommend a ball for a middle aged high handicapper who drives around 225-240? I’m getting back into golf and haven’t played since the late 90s. I’m a bit clueless with all the different options but at my level it seems like I should just pick something weird like the Srixon Q star tour divide so I always recognize my ball and it’s easier to find.

I play srixon Z-stars because they’re ~$1.20 a ball used in lost golf balls.com. I can’t imagine paying $3-4 a ball with as many as I lose as a 16 hdcp.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

xsf421 posted:

I play srixon Z-stars because they’re ~$1.20 a ball used in lost golf balls.com. I can’t imagine paying $3-4 a ball with as many as I lose as a 16 hdcp.

I play the q-stars, as I find a spin less when I slice the f****** ball.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Q-Star in the winter, Z-Star XV in the, uh, not winter.

Tour Yellow only baby.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

Their review only had the KSig 2.0 about 5 yards shorter for Matt with his PW and 7i but also had 700-1000 more spin. For $1.10 a ball or whatever the price works out to be, the current KSig is pretty easily the best value golf ball there is even if you have to pay for shipping and the $5 non member fee.

The only negative I've had with this version of the KSig is cover durability doesn't seem to be quite as good as the real premium tour balls, but considering the difference in price it really doesn't bother me at all.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Yeah, K-Sig is probably gonna be my winter ball. I have a few dozen lying around. Head to head with my summer balls (Z Star XV or, more recently, Diamond), I found the same thing: slightly less distance and much increased spin, but the price is impossible to beat.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
maxfli tours/tourx's are really nice and you can get em for around $2 a ball new, not quite as cheap as kirklands but their covers seem a bit more durable and they feel like a premium ball to me

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Played 18 with my brother and soon-to-be brother-in-law. Course was in rough shape; range was closed, tee boxes mostly sand, greens with dead spots and massive divots, and sadistic pin placement. Shot a 112, losing to my brother by six strokes. Pro shop didn’t even have logo balls for my collection

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

wyoak posted:

maxfli tours/tourx's are really nice and you can get em for around $2 a ball new, not quite as cheap as kirklands but their covers seem a bit more durable and they feel like a premium ball to me

Agreed. This is what I game and I found them to be a great performance to price ratio.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Do instructors typically offer a sort of “play x holes with me” option? I have a few times come in for a lesson and was just striping balls on the range the whole time.

I have two very different swings between the course and the range and I just can’t seem to make what I do on the range stick on the course.

I hit the first two fairways and went to poo poo afterwards. That is a tight tight course but man. So many 1 or 2 putt bogies

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 7, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dude I felt that 3 putt bogey on hole 8. That's the most infuriating result to me in all of golf.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Farking Bastage posted:

Do instructors typically offer a sort of “play x holes with me” option? I have a few times come in for a lesson and was just striping balls on the range the whole time.

I have two very different swings between the course and the range and I just can’t seem to make what I do on the range stick on the course.

I hit the first two fairways and went to poo poo afterwards. That is a tight tight course but man. So many 1 or 2 putt bogies

I know a few local instructors will do that. A buddy got a short game lesson from a guy who kept him on the practice green, but my buddy realized that OF COURSE he's gonna play better than normal if he continues to pitch from the same spot.

So he asked about a playing lesson, and he was hooked up with a different instructor who rode with him for 9 holes.

He credits that experience for his most recent transformation. The guy correctly identified shortcomings in his game in full swing, short game, putting, and course management. He's a better player now for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FINALLY FUCKIN BROKE 80 :toot: okay I did once before but it was on a piss easy muni like 6 years ago

Good lord the new short irons and wedges just throw absolute lawn darts now, it's like a cheat code.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

FINALLY FUCKIN BROKE 80 :toot: okay I did once before but it was on a piss easy muni like 6 years ago

Good lord the new short irons and wedges just throw absolute lawn darts now, it's like a cheat code.
What are the new clubs are obviously post pics

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

What are the new clubs are obviously post pics

Ping G425 MAX driver
G425 hybrid 3-5
G425 6i-9i, PW, UW
Glide 4.0 wedges in 54 and 58

Same big rear end WACK-E putter.

I'll get pics next time I play.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Guys, I need a vibe check on my new ball marker:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh that's dumb as hell

and I love it

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean I rock a goomba ball marker so I can’t exactly say I’m the coolest guy on the course, but it is pretty awesome.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I have my club championship next week and man, last few rounds have not been inspiring.

I’ve been working on some swing changes that have definitely made the good shots great, but the bad shots are still bad. On the bright side, my path is so much better and consistent. I went from 3 degrees on the low end and 8+ on the high end (duck hook city) to between 0.5 and 2.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. This is actually a different son than the one that was banned from Augusta for using Lee Elder's ceremonial tee shot to hawk his lovely golf balls or whatever it was. Gary apparently knows how to raise 'em.

https://twitter.com/garyplayer/status/1556644069551624196

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

Guys, I need a vibe check on my new ball marker:

I lost my cool Vegeta Villains marker I posted about recently at my final summer league round :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well gently caress

https://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/p...e19c66aebfb87b1

Cam Smith to Liv

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
First one I’ve been bummed about

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

LIV's going to make people pay attention at this rate.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Goddamn, that's a poorly written article.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah that seemed pretty likely at this point. Kind of surprised Adam Scott wasn’t mentioned in there - there was talk of him, Leish and Cam all going at once.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

LIV's going to make people pay attention at this rate.

I still can't, it's exhibition golf at this point still and I don't see how they can change that.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The product is absolute garbage and it’s honestly bullshit how all this is happening. Greg Norman can gently caress himself

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

I still can't, it's exhibition golf at this point still and I don't see how they can change that.

-tv deal, redesign the entire broadcast approach. getting feherty helps, before that they had *checks notes* a hanger on to a mildy successful youtube pro that hadn't been seen in years before popping up to do commentary
-stop the shotgun starts
-develop a rankings system

at an absolute minimum, would still probably look like hit and giggle poo poo

the team aspect will never matter and will always be a joke as long as you can go 75-75-75 and still earn nearly a mil

honestly i only really pay attention to majors and liv will never have anything that matches those so gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
One of these LIV players needs to leak their contract terms in full like maybe some of them like Cam Smith are just thinking it's going to last 3 years and they'll get to keep a bunch of the signing bonus and then wheeze back into the reg PGA tour.