Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rules question: I'm running Norman Withers through Dream Eaters and I have his weakness on the top of my deck, that says I can't interact with my deck in any way except to discard the weakness. I draw a swarming enemy where I'm supposed to use my cards from my deck as swarming enemies. Does the swarming keyword just fail and no card go under it?

Also, Livre d'Eibon can't swap weaknesses, right? That would be overpowered, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yes, no cards go under the Swarming enemy. "Cannot" is absolute.

Yes, you can swap non-Hidden weaknesses but they're just immediately drawn again.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nephthys posted:

Rules question: I'm running Norman Withers through Dream Eaters and I have his weakness on the top of my deck, that says I can't interact with my deck in any way except to discard the weakness. I draw a swarming enemy where I'm supposed to use my cards from my deck as swarming enemies. Does the swarming keyword just fail and no card go under it?

Also, Livre d'Eibon can't swap weaknesses, right? That would be overpowered, right?

I would say that The Harbinger does stop swarm; it's a weird accidental benefit, but the wording seems pretty clear to me.

And Livre d'Eibon can't swap a weakness that's on top of your deck, because it's either The Harbinger or something you should have already drawn via Norman's forced ability. I believe that it can swap a weakness from your hand to the deck, which would then force you to re-draw it. So if you have The Tower or something, you can use Livre d'Eibon as a card-draw engine, I guess, so long as you have that weakness in hand.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The chalice has a lot of fun uses:
The new mystic can play it for free then heal trauma to get to get rid of the doom.

Ashcan can take it and play it twice in the witching hour by readying it.

It’s also reusable money healing for Carolyn. And it gives her the ability to heal damage, which her kit is lacking in a reusable way. And there’s always moonlight ritual in case things are going very badly and you’re in an encounter deck that doesn’t add doom.

The thieves kit is nice because lockpicks are super expensive to set up, along with an ally, accessory, second ally…

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kalko posted:

Yes, no cards go under the Swarming enemy. "Cannot" is absolute.

Yes, you can swap non-Hidden weaknesses but they're just immediately drawn again.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I would say that The Harbinger does stop swarm; it's a weird accidental benefit, but the wording seems pretty clear to me.

And Livre d'Eibon can't swap a weakness that's on top of your deck, because it's either The Harbinger or something you should have already drawn via Norman's forced ability. I believe that it can swap a weakness from your hand to the deck, which would then force you to re-draw it. So if you have The Tower or something, you can use Livre d'Eibon as a card-draw engine, I guess, so long as you have that weakness in hand.

Thanks, that's a really neat interaction. It was funny getting it at the end of the scenario and not really caring but even better when I realised that it probably actually helped me. I wanted to check though because good lord did I gently caress up a lot last time I ran Dream Eaters.

Ah, I'd missed the Forced effect on Norman's card somehow. His weakness is Reckless, which is soft as gently caress when you have 5+ Intellect so I might benefit from eating the -1 resources a turn for a bit to get some more cards.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Since Vincent Lee has a non-standard design here's the set's actual Seeker. 5/2 Survivor/Seeker, as everyone predicted, and it really doesn't take much more than Seeker 0-2 to make a powerhouse cluever (see: Trish Scarborough). Looks pretty fun.

edit: higher-res images.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 12, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fun fact: there are two cards that currently exist in the game that use Evidence. Darrell can't use one of them. The other is also a camera.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kalko posted:

Since Vincent Lee has a non-standard design, here's the set's actual Seeker. 5/2 Survivor/Seeker, as everyone predicted, and it really doesn't take much more than Seeker 0-2 to make a powerhouse cluever (see: Trish Scarborough). Looks pretty fun.

His camera not taking up a slot is amazing. 2 willpower is rough, but he's got good sanity and access to Peter Sylvester. Probably the first investigator from this box I'm building, I'm sure I'm not the only one who waited forever for a 5/2 red/yellow.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

His ability will help with fail-by X treacheries, too, and it also lets you use stuff like "Look what I found!" on higher shroud locations more reliably, not to mention Eucatastrophe. It's really good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Worth the wait, but he needs triple cameras. So much fun evidence. But also flashlights.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 12, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kalko posted:

Since Vincent Lee has a non-standard design here's the set's actual Seeker. 5/2 Survivor/Seeker, as everyone predicted, and it really doesn't take much more than Seeker 0-2 to make a powerhouse cluever (see: Trish Scarborough). Looks pretty fun.

edit: higher-res images.

I'd seen the spoilers that he'd have 5 Intellect but I was skeptical because holy poo poo does that make him strong. With Scavenging, Ice Picks, Winging It and Sharp Vision he's going to be a clue beast. Add to that Seeker 0-2 and he might be the strongest Survivor in the game. Two Willpower can be rough but he has good Sanity and can run Survivor soak (plus Hawk-Eye Folding Camera is likely going to be a must with him) so it doesn't really matter. The fact that he can just make tests easier just by getting clues is just icing on the cake. His ability is going to be crazy strong in certain cycles that have tons of treacheries that stay on the board.

I predict that this guy is going to be insanely strong when he releases.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Pair him with Roland for those awkward moments when one is taking snaps while the other is doing Cover Up.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Then Darrell can play Chance Encounter (2) to put Micheal Leigh into play, the 'evidence' card he can't take himself! It's a match made in heaven.

I do agree that Darrell is going to be very strong, much like Trish, but hopefully he won't be too busted to be interesting.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Darrel Simons having basically a whole bunch of Unexpected Courages but better seems real strong. The more players the more evidence also, should be able to reliably trigger his camera every turn with 3 or 4 players. Might play similar to a cluever Mark Harrigan but without the card draw. Except he's got yellow cards so actually all the card draw.

Looks like a very strong investigator.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 12, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

He’s limited by the amount of evidence he can collect, even with cameras, it’s once per camera per clue location, assuming he spent the six bucks to get them both out.

And he doesn’t need chance encounter to get Michael, that’s what teamwork is for!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oh also, reducing the difficulty of tests instead of getting +2 really helps with stuff like Rotten Remains. Who cares you got only 2 will (more if the camera's get online though) if you only take 1 horror max anyway? I'm not even sure if he wants Pete Sylvester rather than a Seeker ally. Especially with Keepsake and Coat access for soak anyway.

Edit: yeah no thinking about it further, he's going to have such an easy time Scavenging, plus with effectively 5 evade he might be the most resilient cluever to date. No way this guy needs Peter to stay alive.

Also also, this is one of the first difficulty reductions that you can stack with others right? Like, he could theoretically use a flashlight plus ability to reduce shroud by 4. Now I don't think he actually wants to do that (or use Old Keyring for similar), but it's potentially very strong.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 12, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This guy just seems strong as hell

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you don’t draw your cameras and only get treacheries resolve without entering play/no enemies, or enemies that are hard to kill, that’s slower than any yellow investigator. But he is one of the few people who is rewarded by using the alter fate.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Again though, any investigator drawing an enemy or a treachery that goes in play will do the trick for him.

This guy going to be taking photos of locked doors and mist for evidence.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Daryl seems like the strongest investigator in the box.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I guess considering how weird the other 4 investigators have been it's a good thing to have a guy who is just Very Good in an obvious way.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Just the other day my playgroup was lamenting how there aren't any Survivors who can investigate well. Well, that's fixed now.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Just the other day my playgroup was lamenting how there aren't any Survivors who can investigate well. Well, that's fixed now.

Lockpicks or thieves kit Wendy? Magic Patrice? Failure Stella?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The wacky thing about a Survivor with 5 Intellect is that generally Survivor cards aren't built for your stats to be that high. Like Rogues, you have to use tricks to lower the value of the test, boost your way up or succeed by failing. Darrell is the first Survivor* who can just basic investigate his way to victory like a Seeker, but also has a poo poo-ton of cards that make him very good at getting clues on top of that.

*Except Calvin but you have to risk death and put in a lot of set-up to get your stats that high. But a Calvin with 6 Int, Scavenging and Ice Picks is a nutty preview to Darrell.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 12, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Orange Devil posted:

This guy going to be taking photos of locked doors and mist for evidence.

Aren't locked doors really hard to photograph because they stop you from investigating? I know some events can get around then but they aren't free evidence.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I was just certain his ability would allow him to move clues onto his camera, making the photographer the only investigator who can use Newspaper worth a drat.

Still, I’m stoked to try out the pipeline:

Evidence—>Drawing Thin—>’Free’ card/resources.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Lockpicks or thieves kit Wendy? Magic Patrice? Failure Stella?

Ashcan Pete too. Yeah, there are some survivors who can do a hybrid/support type role that includes some investigating, but what I meant was that Darrell is the first one who can be the main dedicated investigator. The sort of character who could hold their own in a 2-player team with Mark Harrigan or Nathaniel Cho or something. All of the options before Darrell can't really get more than 1-2 clues per round, at most, and some of them also struggle with high-shroud locations.

It just stood out to us because every other color has at least one good dedicated investigator. Even Guardian, the class focused on fighting, has Carolyn Fern.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

This Wendy Adams erasure will not stand!

Edit: Considering how good survivors are at investigating if you build them for it having a base value of 5 is going to be really good. I can't imagine him being better than Minh though, seeker 3-5 is significantly better than survivor 3-5.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 12, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Aren't locked doors really hard to photograph because they stop you from investigating? I know some events can get around then but they aren't free evidence.

Sometimes you just gotta Work a Hunch about a Locked Door totally being Evidence! ok?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Edit: Considering how good survivors are at investigating if you build them for it having a base value of 5 is going to be really good. I can't imagine him being better than Minh though, seeker 3-5 is significantly better than survivor 3-5.

Yeah but Minh is a legit busted investigator.

Like this deck broke the game over it's knee and that was 3 years ago. She must've only gotten stronger since. At least they made a lot of the engine cards for setting this up cost more XP, but the principle still applies.
https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/12038/minhfinity-stones-hard-mode-1.0

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 12, 2022

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Wendy is quite good; her ability is amazing and her defensive stats are very serviceable. Her intellect + survivor tricks are fine on standard.
I'd be pretty hesitant to run her as the primary clue-getter on Hard though,.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I tried Wendy as main cluever in TIC on Hard and it just doesn't work because she can't get more than one clue per turn. I wonder if Thieves' Kit will open her up in that regard. Either way, I agree that she's still a good investigator and she has a bunch of neat tricks.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Can anyone explain what Sixth Sense and it's upgrade do if you pull a symbol? The text is kind of ambiguous.

Like, can you get two clues for one action with Sixth Sense (0) if you pull a symbol?

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 13, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nebrilos posted:

Can anyone explain what Sixth Sense and it's upgrade do if you pull a symbol? The text is kind of ambiguous.

Like, can you get two clues for one action with Sixth Sense (0) if you pull a symbol?

Sixth Sense (0) lets optionally you choose a connecting location to pull a clue from instead of where you are currently investigating. You only get one clue, but you can pull it off that different location and/or use the shroud of that other location if you like.

Sixth Sense (4) explicitly lets you pull multiple clues from multiple locations as you investigate in the second location in addition to your own location. Sixth Sense (0) lets you choose one or the other, (4) gives you both.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Sixth Sense (0) lets optionally you choose a connecting location to pull a clue from instead of where you are currently investigating. You only get one clue, but you can pull it off that different location and/or use the shroud of that other location if you like.

Sixth Sense (4) explicitly lets you pull multiple clues from multiple locations as you investigate in the second location in addition to your own location. Sixth Sense (0) lets you choose one or the other, (4) gives you both.

If I decide to investigate the other location, do I have to pull a second token?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nebrilos posted:

If I decide to investigate the other location, do I have to pull a second token?

No. If you decide to investigate as if you're at that other location you apply the effect of the token and resolve the test as normal, though the difficulty may change if you use a different shroud which could let you succeed when you otherwise would not have. Either way, that token is what you've got.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Could I ask the thread to PEACH my new Monterey Jack deck? It's meant to be the primary clue-gatherer in a three player game.

Other players are Daniela as full chainsaw violence, and Bob going support / secondary clue-gatherer.

Cardpool: RCore, Starters, Dunwich, Edge of the Earth. No taboos (save no Double or Nothing).

General plan is survive first encounter so I can get Higher Education, then just draw cards and money and use Higher Education to solve clues.

After using magic to gather clues with Jacqueline, I feel like only scooping one clue per action seems weak, but I'm not sure how to solve that with Monterey Jack.

Can I build a 3-player primary clue-gatherer with Jack? Or should I pivot and pick and actual Seeker? Bob will be able to help, but my main job will be clues.

Thanks in advance.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If you're playing without taboo I'd say it's easily worth taking In the Thick of It to start with upgraded Higher Education; it'll make a huge difference to your ability to pass willpower tests in the first scenario, could easily be life and death.

Definitely add Lucky Cigarette Case from Wini's starter, it's honestly better than like half the cards in the deck. Personally I'd probably drop Lockpicks or Pickpocketing for it, I don't think either of them are great value at level 0.

While one clue per action is usually enough in practice, upgraded Deduction and Eon Chart would help him a lot; I'd prioritise them over most of the other upgrades that aren't Pathfinder and maybe Gene? Though Eon Chart clashing with Cigarette Case isn't ideal.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lockpicks are only good if you are a hybrid backup or playing solo. 1 clue a turn is way too slow in a three player game.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Could I ask the thread to PEACH my new Monterey Jack deck? It's meant to be the primary clue-gatherer in a three player game.

Other players are Daniela as full chainsaw violence, and Bob going support / secondary clue-gatherer.

Cardpool: RCore, Starters, Dunwich, Edge of the Earth. No taboos (save no Double or Nothing).

General plan is survive first encounter so I can get Higher Education, then just draw cards and money and use Higher Education to solve clues.

After using magic to gather clues with Jacqueline, I feel like only scooping one clue per action seems weak, but I'm not sure how to solve that with Monterey Jack.

Can I build a 3-player primary clue-gatherer with Jack? Or should I pivot and pick and actual Seeker? Bob will be able to help, but my main job will be clues.

Thanks in advance.

Considering your cardpool it looks good. Right now you have a lot of hand slot cards, but the one you probably actually want the most is Magnifying Glass. Jack needs to get his Intellect up to make his investigate actions reliable since he's starting at 4 and you're going to be doing basic investigations 95% of the time. Only getting one clue per investigate action doesn't matter if you're saving actions with Hiking Boots and Pathfinder (+ another card from EotE), so you're on the right track there. Add in Eon Chart (4) when you can afford the XP as well. Even without Araidne's Twine, you're getting a net + 5 actions out of it. Get Higher Education + all of those as your first priority imo. I would also consider Scientific Theory just to get your Intellect score up even higher and because you need the horror soak. You want to be at 6 or 7 when investigating whenever you can.

The only real change I'd suggest right now is dropping a handslot card for Lucky Cigarette Case. You also don't have a way to handle horror, so consider Smoking Pipe.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Dump Leo de Luca imo.