Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i like seagulls, theyr big softies and scaredy cats really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

So Grant Shapps has said that the London Underground needs to move towards 'driverless trains' in order to modernise like 'other European cities', which reminds me of my favourite seagull story.

I've heard it from anarchists about a couple of places with new automatic trains, so it may be an urban legend or it may be a tall tale or it may be a thing that multiple people have actually done independently, but anyhow there's a light rail that has gone all automatic doors, no guards, busy business district. Storyteller catches eye of an older fellow in a suit sat eating a bag of chips at the end of the platform. Every now and again he throws out a chip for the seagulls. But never enough, only one every few minutes. The rest he's holding tight against him. The gulls are scrapping over the chips. They're not happy. Storyteller is transfixed because it seems so odd, either feed them or don't. Train eventually arrives, doors open, folks get off and on, old man is checking his watch. He stands up, wellies the chips through the doors, half a dozen enraged seagulls follow. Doors close.

So if they go driverless and someone ends up on the tracks no one's going to realise until the poor sod is spread across half the Circle line?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

So if they go driverless and someone ends up on the tracks no one's going to realise until the poor sod is spread across half the Circle line?

A few paups getting meat-crayoned is well worth reducing payroll and breaking those damned unions. Y'know, if you're a sociopath. Yes, some of us may die, but it's a sacrifice they're willing to make.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Our center right policy focus will be

Boris continuation but LARGER budget cuts and privatization.
Greener. With the help of corporate scientists (lists BP as a source of scientists) we will make major strides in renewable energy.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Even with driverless you need someone on the train and staff on the platform, just look at DLR

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dabir posted:

Isn't he the guy out of Giant Days

I knew the name sounded familiar! Ed, what have you done?

(Although at least they're looking to target Tories)

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I knew the name sounded familiar! Ed, what have you done?

(Although at least they're looking to target Tories)

Yeah, I'm 109% on board with the existence of more spinoff Tory parties to split the vote tbh. Maybe I give their viewers too much credit but I've always felt the Lib Dems were more detrimental to Labor than the Tories for example.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mourning Due posted:

I've always felt the Lib Dems were more detrimental to Labor than the Tories for example.

The only times Labour won, in my rather long adult life, were when the LibDems were strong; and since their collapse we have total Tory hegemony.

Don't get me wrong, I do not welcome any LibDem resurgence there might be, because they function (like Starmer's Labour) as a trap for left wing votes - but Labour would have a better chance of winning if the LibDems recovered in their previous strongholds.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 8, 2022

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Mourning Due posted:

Yeah, I'm 109% on board with the existence of more spinoff Tory parties to split the vote tbh. Maybe I give their viewers too much credit but I've always felt the Lib Dems were more detrimental to Labor than the Tories for example.

I think this has as much chance of splitting the Tory vote as Change UK had for lefties but we live in hope.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does seem a bizzare position, "I like the tories on everything except the fact that they're not green enough"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

It does seem a bizzare position, "I like the tories on everything except the fact that they're not green enough"

Yeah, the Lib Dems already exist.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

There's a certain strain of conservatism that realises it should also be about conserving the earth

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Microplastics posted:

There's a certain strain of conservatism that realises it should also be about conserving the earth

I remember (maybe naively) believing David Cameron's green conservatism campaign and thought that tackling environmental destruction could be a true cross party issue but I'm not sure it's ever been more than a talking point. The conservative stance towards the economy and regulation in general is incompatible with respecting the earth.

Plus some of the biggest donors are involved in industries actively destroying the planet. They'd never really go against those interests.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Oh sure they exist but just... I find it hard to believe that it is a remotely meaningful demographic in this day and age when the overwhelming bulk of right wing messaging for years has been "gently caress you I am not responsible to anyone or anything now lower my taxes"

I find it hard to believe there is a significant constituency of "gently caress the young, gently caress the poor, gently caress foreigners, but we have to do something about climate change even though I hate everyone who would be affected by it"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

piano chimp posted:

I think this has as much chance of splitting the Tory vote as Change UK had for lefties but we live in hope.

The Independent ChUKlefuck Party might not have split Labour, but they definitely hit their vote share hard and played a role in the scale of the 2019 loss. Even though they were a joke by the time the election happened, the votes that they'd leeched went to Greens or Libs instead of back to Labour, while the Brexit Party largely went back to the Tories where they needed to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mourning Due posted:

You're making the same mistake Starmer is making (on the assumption that he isn't doing it deliberately). The Tory vote doesn't split. This is why Cameron was so terrified of the Eurosceptics in his party that he offered them a referendum; it's the one time in history that the party ever has risked splitting. But that split was a risk because the full fash Tories only vote Tory as it is the furthest right legitimate option, and Johnson mended it by ensuring there was nobody further to the right.

However, a Tory will never do the reverse and vote for a different party because the Tories aren't left wing enough; they'll just stay at home. And if the choice is between a Tory and "Tory, but slightly less poo poo and/or in a different colour rosette", they always vote Tory.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TBH it's not about peeling off the Tory base, it's about getting those dumb floating voter cunts who normally gravitate lib dem but vote Tory if Labour offer anything left of Mussolini.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Seagulls are the devil. I may or may not have a paintball gun specifically for seeing off seagulls that harass my poor garden chikkuns.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

Seagulls are the devil. I may or may not have a paintball gun specifically for seeing off seagulls that harass my poor garden chikkuns.

Curious about how effective this is. Do you ever see the same paint-spattered gulls still lurking around?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Seems a bit cruel, you could easily cripple or blind a gull that way

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

TBH it's not about peeling off the Tory base, it's about getting those dumb floating voter cunts who normally gravitate lib dem but vote Tory if Labour offer anything left of Mussolini.

Those people see themselves as sensible adults and will not vote for a new party that will never have power. Much better to work for change from the inside, so vote Tory.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

How do you think the trains will recharge? Blood for the Blood Train!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mourning Due posted:

Yeah, I'm 109% on board with the existence of more spinoff Tory parties to split the vote tbh. Maybe I give their viewers too much credit but I've always felt the Lib Dems were more detrimental to Labor

Not sure that taking votes away from am Australian political party is that helpful tbh

As for Tory spinoffs - UKIP and then the Brexit party are about rhe most successful political parties of the last decade so ummmmm

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 8, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Correct. They are called the (English and Welsh) Green Party.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Salisbury Snape posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should use a net gun and eat the evidence.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The beak and feathers are still evidence.

Oh... you mean.. oh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How are seagulls protected by law when they reject it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

How are seagulls protected by law when they reject it?

In fairness, big fan of the shoplifting seagulls

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I will vote for whatever politician pledges to send seagulls back where they belong (the sea).

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
holiday chat: tallinn is a nice, mostly cheap place to spend a short week in. there is a cool tall TV tower, outdoor museum and some remnants of the 1980 Moscow olympics around the seaside. there is a museum called kiek in de kok. if you're not spending enough money, a cheap ferry to expensive helsinki takes only 2 or 3 hours.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Shared more than 45! times. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for news, huh?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's heating up again.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
IT'S CALLED SUMMER

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's 69 degrees here. It's nice.

See, the woke Celsius taliban can't make that joke until at least 2150, when we're all dead and two unmanned rovers crawl across the scorched surface of the earth.

"Unit 2ef7 report external thermal telemetry" "It is 342K or 69 degrees Celsius. Humanity is dead. Only bacteria survives." "Nice."

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Hope this picks up - feels like a good clear articulation to hopefully cut through to the many…?

https://twitter.com/eiecampaign/status/1556551243765514240?s=21&t=OyUaGU7NSDQGShSVu8cz8A

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Our center right policy focus will be

Greener. With the help of corporate scientists (lists BP as a source of scientists) we will make major strides in renewable energy.
Oil is a renewable resource, we keep buying it off the saudis so it's renewable. :colbert:

Gort posted:

Seems a bit cruel, you could easily cripple or blind a gull that way

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jimmy Cordless never watched the Anton Deck show, how can you trust him to lead your country?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Seperate post for seperate thing but please god don't let this get co-opted by dickheads:

https://twitter.com/eiecampaign/status/1556551243765514240?t=PKdWl0eJu7eEw_6G44vQbA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Miftan posted:

Shared more than 45! times. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for news, huh?

To be fair it may be the most interesting thing that's ever happened in Barnstaple.