Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the author who came up with that premise left almost immediately and simonson was stuck with it for a while. maybe it was originally supposed to be sincere attempt and not cameron hodge sabotaging warren, but who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

someone needs to check on Chris Claremont. Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1555684681806499845

My personal favorite of this whole weird meltdown was "yeah a panther God was going to ask Kitty Pryde if she wanted to be black, since she was actually the daughter of Storm and T'challa"

EDIT: my dude dissed Tessa Thompson *and* drunk pirate Kitty.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 6, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

someone needs to check on Chris Claremont. Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1555684681806499845

My personal favorite of this whole weird meltdown was "yeah a panther God was going to ask Kitty Pryde if she wanted to be black, since she was actually the daughter of Storm and T'challa"

EDIT: my dude dissed Tessa Thompson *and* drunk pirate Kitty.

I read some of his Ms Marvel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read his awful JLA run.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
:wtchris:
https://twitter.com/ComicsXF/status/1555694470204637186?t=M6juTrhB4z8xqLSblN0Z8g&s=19

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well. those are certainly ideas.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I always got the vibe that the logic behind pairing Storm and Black Panther was at least in part just because they were the biggest black characters in Marvel and I just realized that a similar logic probably applied to Rogue and Gambit, being Marvel's biggest southern characters.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

I always got the vibe that the logic behind pairing Storm and Black Panther was at least in part just because they were the biggest black characters in Marvel and I just realized that a similar logic probably applied to Rogue and Gambit, being Marvel's biggest southern characters.

a lot to unpack here

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Rogue and Gambit were paired up as part of Sinister's scheme to breed the most impenetrable accent in comics history.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m reading a Silver Surfer collection. Not a lot going on with that guy, is there?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Silver Surfer was invented because Jack Kirby just threw him into the art he sent to Stan because he looked cool, and Stan had to invent him on the fly in the lettering stage after the script was done.

Norinn just hanging around looking cool and not really doing much is on brand.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They announced a Mary Jane/Black Cat ongoing at a convention this weekend. No creative team announced but it's a crime if it's not written by Vulpes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

They announced a Mary Jane/Black Cat ongoing at a convention this weekend. No creative team announced but it's a crime if it's not written by Vulpes.

Vulpes will be key to me adding it to my sub immediately or waiting to see what people think.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dawgstar posted:

Vulpes will be key to me adding it to my sub immediately or waiting to see what people think.

I'm kind of interested either way, to be honest. Does Mary just want to delve into the life of crime now?

What's Spidey's relationship status anyway? Did they break up again at some point?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

What's Spidey's relationship status anyway? Did they break up again at some point?

Yep. They were together at the end of the last run but then when the new writer (Wells) came on they're broken up for ~mysterious reasons~ that I'm sure will be flashed back to eventually.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

Yep. They were together at the end of the last run but then when the new writer (Wells) came on they're broken up for ~mysterious reasons~ that I'm sure will be flashed back to eventually.

Wells wasn't really a new writer, he was running it during the entire Ben Reilly thing. They had a team of writers and he was in charge.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Oh, so they did that off panel and just mentioned that they're done? That sure feels like immersive story telling.
Honestly, if that was a tv show I'd assume the actress did not renew her contract between seasons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Wells wasn't really a new writer, he was running it during the entire Ben Reilly thing. They had a team of writers and he was in charge.

:doh: When will I learn that failing to do the slightest research leads to me looking like a fool?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Do they know that they were married but Peter made a deal with satan to end it? Or do they still think they were never married?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Do they know that they were married but Peter made a deal with satan to end it? Or do they still think they were never married?

The latter. It really really seemed like Nick Spencer was gonna do something to address it/bring it up to Peter in his run but then it swerved hard into his stupid Kindred plot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

The latter. It really really seemed like Nick Spencer was gonna do something to address it/bring it up to Peter in his run but then it swerved hard into his stupid Kindred plot.

I wonder if that's something writers are chomping at the bit to fix but editorial keeps pulling the leash on.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I was commenting on it over in the Good/Bad Art thread, but does anyone know why War Machine is wearing his MCU armor in the current Iron Man book? Its a weird choice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if that's something writers are chomping at the bit to fix but editorial keeps pulling the leash on.

it's more than likely the opposite. I don't think most writers are invested in the marriage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TwoPair posted:

I'm just saying, if there was one thing guaranteed to put your long-term on again off again relationship into an off again phase, it would be finding out your boyfriend did that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Black Cat is the only person brave enough to call out Mary Jane on her dump truck rear end.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Silver Surfer collection I read wasn't very impressive in terms of story of characters, but the art blew me away. These are probably my favorite depictions of Storm, Wonder Man, and the Silver Surfer himself

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I see Norrin has *not* been skipping leg day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Black Cat is the only person brave enough to call out Mary Jane on her dump truck rear end.

Vulpes out here doing the Lord's work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

I was commenting on it over in the Good/Bad Art thread, but does anyone know why War Machine is wearing his MCU armor in the current Iron Man book? Its a weird choice.

You gave the answer over there: the artist traced an action figure. That's it. That's the reason.

As far as I'm aware, he's only appearing in Iron Man, so it's not like there's some "correct" armor that he should be currently wearing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

You gave the answer over there: the artist traced an action figure. That's it. That's the reason.

As far as I'm aware, he's only appearing in Iron Man, so it's not like there's some "correct" armor that he should be currently wearing.

I think he's showing up in Captain Marvel too. But I don't remember his suit looking all that different from this one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe Tony just likes to troll rhodey by making his suit look like Legos

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Endless Mike posted:

He also appeared to have used the Marvel Selects Titanium Man in a recent book. Nothing wrong with photo references at all, but change some stuff so its not as jarring, or keep the styles consistent at least. There are greebly bits on Rhodey that I think only exist on the figure. Oh well. I do enjoy the art in the book.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think he's showing up in Captain Marvel too. But I don't remember his suit looking all that different from this one.

I'd like to see what he looks like in that book too. Anyone have a panel?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Joe Fisto posted:

I'd like to see what he looks like in that book too. Anyone have a panel?

I searched for Captain Marvel War Machine, and to no big surprise it mostly shows panels with both of them.

Honestly, they're cute together.

But yeah, he has been wearing that suit at least since Kelly Thompson's run began, since he was in the first issue. And apparently, it's his only one.

Conversely, Carol is so much better at conjuring outfits. This was during her magician phase. I guess, just making it appear is a bit easier than having Tony built you a complicated high tech suit.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 8, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Ah, thats definatley the MCU suit, just toned down. I like that better. Thanks!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Actually what do you guys think of the Kelly Thompson Captain Marvel run? I feel like the characters and jokes are quite enjoyable and the art is pretty, but some of the story arcs go a bit to deep and take to long. I feel like I'd want shorter, less epic stories.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't remember where i fell off (it was a while ago) but honestly i always felt like Carol herself was the weakest part of her book and just stopped caring about it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

site posted:

i can't remember where i fell off (it was a while ago) but honestly i always felt like Carol herself was the weakest part of her book and just stopped caring about it

Interestingly, she's not really in the last few issues.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I agree with this 100%. Carol's supporting cast are just better/more entertaining than Carol.

And after seeing Ms. Marvel I think they're adapting that to the MCU too! :v:

radlum
May 13, 2013
Vulpes’ work on Black Cat is getting an omnibus next year and I’m really happy for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I agree with this 100%. Carol's supporting cast are just better/more entertaining than Carol.

What made it awkward before Thompson is they didn't really give her much of a supporting cast and kept taking her away from Earth. Thompson sort of does that but she's better at making Carol likable and she's been playing with elevating the cast Captain Marvel does have.