Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

At the very least Dems are taking what they learned from the PACT Act skirmish and absolutely hammering the GOP on the insulin cap.
https://twitter.com/SenWhitehouse/status/1556321089600495622

Republicans going after the IRS enlargement but the IRS never killed anyone while diabetes has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

At the very least Dems are taking what they learned from the PACT Act skirmish and absolutely hammering the GOP on the insulin cap.
https://twitter.com/SenWhitehouse/status/1556321089600495622

We also saw Dems overwhelmingly vote down Sander’s amendments for much needed financial relief for average Americans as well as child tax credits.

But Dems and their supporters lack a moral compass, as evident by their actions and this incredibly watered down bill. It’s incredibly gross that folks are not only viewing this as a major win (instead of a small step in the right direction in some areas while a step backwards in others, especially allowing the continuation of drilling in vulnerable lands) but also scolding Bernie for having the audacity to support those most vulnerable to the financial mess America is in.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

We also saw Dems overwhelmingly vote down Sander’s amendments for much needed financial relief for average Americans as well as child tax credits.

But Dems and their supporters lack a moral compass, as evident by their actions and this incredibly watered down bill. It’s incredibly gross that folks are not only viewing this as a major win (instead of a small step in the right direction in some areas while a step backwards in others, especially allowing the continuation of drilling in vulnerable lands) but also scolding Bernie for having the audacity to support those most vulnerable to the financial mess America is in.

Giving money to private businesses to solve climate change is like adding gasoline to a lawn mower to make it fly.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 8, 2022

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Giving money to private businesses to solve climate change is like adding gasoline to a lawn mower to make it fly.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DopeyShockingBabirusa-mobile.mp4

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I'm sorry this bill doesn't have everything you want in it, but this bill does still do a lot of good stuff, it's a bill everybody thought was dead, and the bill that passed got unanimous support from Senate Democrats....from Manchin's wing of the party to Sanders's. It is a major win, and it's ok to say that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Most of the climate change money goes to subsidies for green power generation, new construction, and research; but here's a list of some of the consumer rebates you can get personally/directly.

Some of them are automatic and don't require you to do anything, but are generally very small benefits. A few of them are very specific and require you to actively do something, but could potentially be very large (although they obviously don't benefit you at all if you don't want that specific thing).

Most of these are available through 2029.

The large, but specific, rebates are:

1) The big obvious one is the $7,500 discount on a new electric vehicle purchase or $4,000 on a used electric vehicle purchase.

2) There's a lot of up-front rebates for different home energy upgrades. There's a fixed amount of money for these ($4.5 billion), so they only last as long as the money is still there.

quote:

Installing rooftop solar: The Inflation Reduction Act provides for 30 percent off the cost of rooftop solar, which amounts to average savings of $7,000.

The bill also offers 30 percent off the cost of home batteries for the first time.

They also approved loans for solar programs that structure the up-front installation costs so that you pay nothing up front and your energy company will cover all the upfront installation costs, but you have to agree to sell a portion of the energy you generate with your solar panels to your local power company for X years to pay them back.

The most generous/significant rebates are for energy-efficient electric appliances to replace gas-powered appliances. You can get some of them covered up to 100% if your household makes less than ~$55k and 50% covered if you make more.

quote:

Switching to electric appliances: The Inflation Reduction Act offers homes up to $14,000 in rebates to switch over to electric appliances—covering up to 50 percent of the costs for moderate-income households and 100 percent of the costs for low-income households. The total program is capped at $4.5 billion. This includes up to:

$8,000 for a heat pump, which serves as an air conditioner in the summer and heater in the winter
$1,750 for a high-efficiency, all-electric heat pump water heater
$840 for an electric induction cooktop
$840 for a high-efficiency all-electric heat pump clothes dryer
Up to $9,100 for enabling improvements to the electric panel, wiring, and home insulation

The automatic, but small, benefits:

1) If you get your energy from nuclear power, then you get an automatic 3 cent per kilowatt hour credit to your energy bill.

2) Even if you don't opt for any of the specific rebates, the IRA will reduce the average energy prices for a household by $63 on electricity bills and $105 on gas and other energy bills per year. That's only ~$14 a month on average, but you don't have to do anything to get it :shrug:

Not sure how many goons are/will be in the market for any of those sometime between now and 2029, but might as well put it out there.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...ill-11659901660
https://www.businessinsider.com/what-inflation-reduction-act-means-finances-tax-health-climate-democrats-2022-8
https://www.americanprogress.org/article/5-major-benefits-of-the-inflation-reduction-acts-climate-investments/
https://www.americanprogress.org/article/decarbonize-households-america-needs-incentives-electric-appliances/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 8, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will take it over nothing. It's disappointing that the good BBB was sliced down into a much much smaller bill, but clearly the Manchins and the Sinemas weren't going to allow us to have anything better. It's just a super hosed up system and it's going to get worse as the inherent GOP advantage in the Senate due to over-representation of smaller states grows.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Epicurius posted:

I'm sorry this bill doesn't have everything you want in it, but this bill does still do a lot of good stuff, it's a bill everybody thought was dead, and the bill that passed got unanimous support from Senate Democrats....from Manchin's wing of the party to Sanders's. It is a major win, and it's ok to say that.

A bill thought to be dead that does very little to combat the incredibly fast approaching apocalypse and even gives away protected land to those that hastened the destruction of the earth and its inhabitants is not something worthy of praise in my book. Maybe those that praise the Dems who voted in lockstep kill amendments that would have actual meaningful impact just see the world differently thanks to their lack of ethics.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will take it over nothing. It's disappointing that the good BBB was sliced down into a much much smaller bill, but clearly the Manchins and the Sinemas weren't going to allow us to have anything better. It's just a super hosed up system and it's going to get worse as the inherent GOP advantage in the Senate due to over-representation of smaller states grows.

It’s why I find it disgusting that folks would praise the party in power when they are rolling out the red carpet for fascists to remove the tiny sliver of “good” this bill does.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) The big obvious one is the $7,500 discount on a new electric vehicle purchase or $4,000 on a used electric vehicle purchase.

They also approved loans for solar programs that structure the up-front installation costs so that you pay nothing up front and your energy company will cover all the upfront installation costs, but you have to agree to sell a portion of the energy you generate with your solar panels to your local power company for X years to pay them back.

This will surely help families struggling with inflation and not translate to a giveaway to corporations :jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 8, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Irl lol

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm excited about the Electric Vehicle tax credit, what do I have to do to qualify for it? And how do I know if it applies to a car I'd like to buy?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

A bill thought to be dead that does very little to combat the incredibly fast approaching apocalypse and even gives away protected land to those that hastened the destruction of the earth and its inhabitants is not something worthy of praise in my book. Maybe those that praise the Dems who voted in lockstep kill amendments that would have actual meaningful impact just see the world differently thanks to their lack of ethics.

The bill, climatewise, gets us to about 70% of our goals under the climate agreement. It makes Medicare cheaper. It makes sure companies have to pay a minimum tax. Maybe it's just my lack of ethics, but I think those are good things.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sharkie posted:

I'm excited about the Electric Vehicle tax credit, what do I have to do to qualify for it? And how do I know if it applies to a car I'd like to buy?

You have to make less than $150k or $300k if you file jointly.

If it's an SUV or truck, it has to cost less than $80k.

If it's a sedan or crossover, it has to cost less than $55k.

The car has to be assembled in North America.

It's applied as a rebate for $7,500 off purchase price at purchase.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This will surely help families struggling with inflation and not translate to a giveaway to corporations :jerkbag:

You don't have to take them and you can pay for it upfront if you want.

But, yeah, it is essentially a way for the government to have the power company pay all of the upfront costs for installation and get paid back over time because they think many more people will adopt if there is no upfront cost and the goal of the program is to get as many people to install solar panels as possible.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Does the vehicle credit re-up for cars that bad previously lost it like the Bolt and Leaf?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Riven posted:

Does the vehicle credit re-up for cars that bad previously lost it like the Bolt and Leaf?

Yes. It eliminates the cap to the credit that was applied when a company sold at least 200,000 electric vehicles and replaces it with qualifications based on price and manufacturing origin.

Tesla, Nissan, and Toyota EVs will qualify again.

The car now has to cost less than $80k if it is an SUV or truck and less than $55k if it is a sedan to qualify for the rebate. It also has to be assembled at least 50% in North America.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I found this page online a week ago because I've been wanting to get an EV for my next car, and recently learned about the rebate. This is from 7/29 and has a list of cars that qualify and the amount of rebate you get.

https://electrek.co/2022/07/29/which-electric-vehicles-still-qualify-for-us-federal-tax-credit/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Velocity Raptor posted:

I found this page online a week ago because I've been wanting to get an EV for my next car, and recently learned about the rebate. This is from 7/29 and has a list of cars that qualify and the amount of rebate you get.

https://electrek.co/2022/07/29/which-electric-vehicles-still-qualify-for-us-federal-tax-credit/

Just FYI: They mention it later in the article, but that list is based on the current eligibility standards. It doesn't include the new standards.

It says they will update the page when the law changes, so it is probably a good page to bookmark.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Epicurius posted:

It's also OK to say that it's sorely lacking in many ways, and that we shouldn't be satisfied with it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

God drat it, who names the bills, it's such a easy target. Name it after something it will least likely do, that's not going to become fodder for opponents, not at all.

The average American only reads news headlines and the person who wrote this bill understands that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Epicurius posted:

:yeah:

Fister Roboto posted:

It's also OK to say that it's sorely lacking in many ways, and that we shouldn't be satisfied with it.

:yeah:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If it's an SUV or ]truck, ]it has to cost less than $80k.

If it's a sedan or crossover, it has to cost less than $55k.

This is definitely Manchin doing the most cynical West Virginia baiting and I can’t stop lolling

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If you’re a COUNTRY BOY driving an electric TRUCK you get an extra 30k over those pussies in SEDANS who probably don’t even go HUNTING or to the HOME DEPOT

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

bills that are "good but not good enough" is about all we're likely to get in the near future without some serious institutional reforms (particularly re the senate)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is definitely Manchin doing the most cynical West Virginia baiting and I can’t stop lolling

Alot of this conversation may be better off in the EV specific thread in AI, but the greater shift of car companies away from sedans and into crossovers/SUVs is partially to blame (because the companies are able to put a premium by lifting hatchbacks a couple inches.) In 5 years there may not be any new EVs sold in the US that meet what the US government classifies as a "sedan."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

goethe.cx posted:

bills that are "good but not good enough" is about all we're likely to get in the near future without some serious institutional reforms (particularly re the senate)

It also describes vast majority of legislation in American history.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think it'll happen, because it's kind of late in the session for a new bill to be introduced and get through, but the insulin provision got 57 votes. It just needs 3 more Republicans to pass. So it's not impossible.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
Why don’t these rebates ever include hybrid vehicles? Are those not better for the environment than normal cars?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ellasmith posted:

Why don’t these rebates ever include hybrid vehicles? Are those not better for the environment than normal cars?

They do include plug-in hybrids.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

For those posters who are confidently repeating the emission reduction percentage from the studies that I assume they've read, do you know if they accounted for the massive expansion in oil extraction when they did the math on the coupon book that's going to stop climate collapse? I feel like they must have but I haven't read the studies yet myself. Trying to find the time

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

For those posters who are confidently repeating the emission reduction percentage from the studies that I assume they've read, do you know if they accounted for the massive expansion in oil extraction when they did the math on the coupon book that's going to stop climate collapse? I feel like they must have but I haven't read the studies yet myself. Trying to find the time

I think the hope is that since fossil fuel companies already have tons of leases for potential drilling sites which they aren't using, just the fact that they're allowed to buy leases doesn't necessarily mean that they're guaranteed to use all of them.

Realistically, getting this bill passed now, even if it is insufficient, is the best chance at providing something the Democratic party can point to as something they've done, in the hopes of getting enough of a higher turnout that they'll have additional Senators and won't have their agenda stymied by Sinema and Manchin. That could mean stronger climate legislation or rescinding some of the stuff Manchin demanded be in it to get this passed. (Of course, who knows how many other Democrats are standing behind those two and using them as a shield to take the fire.)

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think the hope is that since fossil fuel companies already have tons of leases for potential drilling sites which they aren't using, just the fact that they're allowed to buy leases doesn't necessarily mean that they're guaranteed to use all of them.

Realistically, getting this bill passed now, even if it is insufficient, is the best chance at providing something the Democratic party can point to as something they've done, in the hopes of getting enough of a higher turnout that they'll have additional Senators and won't have their agenda stymied by Sinema and Manchin. That could mean stronger climate legislation or rescinding some of the stuff Manchin demanded be in it to get this passed. (Of course, who knows how many other Democrats are standing behind those two and using them as a shield to take the fire.)

Oh so it's not in the math. That sucks, but it was pretty short notice. Anyway, it seems weird that the oil companies are happy about being able to buy more land to drill on in order to not drill on it, but perhaps Biden and Manchin hoodwinked them and they'll be donating to the federal government for free

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yes. This is the primary report on the latest version of the bill that is being cited. There is not in fact a "massive expansion in oil extraction", and the bill is not presented by anyone other than yourself as "the coupon book that is going to stop climate collapse".

quote:

The Inflation Reduction Act does include several notable changes to public lands policy that could affect oil and gas production in federal lands and waters.

The Act specifically requires sale of four offshore lease areas that were previously withdrawn by court order or executive action. It also implements new rules that tie offshore wind lease offerings to recent offshore oil and gas lease offerings and links renewable energy leasing and right-of-way issuances on public lands to recent onshore oil and gas lease offerings.

The Act simultaneously increases royalties and rental fees for fossil fuel production in federal lands and waters, which may put downward pressure on future production. The Act also establishes a new fee on methane emissions in the oil and gas supply chain and provides $1.55 billion in funding to assist companies in monitoring and reducing methane pollution.

Modeling the specific impact of these countervailing provisions is challenging, but their impact is expected to be much smaller than the variation in production spanned by our high and low oil and gas production scenarios.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes. This is the primary report on the latest version of the bill that is being cited. There is not in fact a "massive expansion in oil extraction", and the bill is not presented by anyone other than yourself as "the coupon book that is going to stop climate collapse".

Oh okay cool. Well let's cross our fingers the "green tech" consultants and the researchers funded by ExxonMobil did all their math right, and hope that their hope that the challenging modeling that they did not do is as low-impact as they think, as well as their baseline assumption of "rational" economic behavior from all actors comes true and everyone maximizes all their coupons

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

goethe.cx posted:

It also describes a level of action that is utterly insufficient to advert worldwide climate catastrophe

To be fair it's not like that's a surprise.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They do. It was originally going to get us ~72% of the way to meeting the paris goals by 2030. It ends up getting us 69.7% of the way.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:decorum:

Graham was given a very stern warning by the Dems yesterday for violating the Senate decorum rule.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/graham-warned-decorum-rule-attacks-170427763.html?ncid=twitter_yahoonewst_sjwumo1bpf4

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

- Expanding the new income limits, boosted subsidies, and $0 premium/$0 deductible ACA plans for another 3 years.

Is the clawback on hold for another 3 years as well? I still don't understand the $0 premium/$0 deductible plans and who exactly is able to actually get them and how.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Most of the climate change money goes to subsidies for green power generation, new construction, and research; but here's a list of some of the consumer rebates you can get personally/directly.

Some of them are automatic and don't require you to do anything, but are generally very small benefits. A few of them are very specific and require you to actively do something, but could potentially be very large (although they obviously don't benefit you at all if you don't want that specific thing).

Most of these are available through 2029.

2) There's a lot of up-front rebates for different home energy upgrades. There's a fixed amount of money for these ($4.5 billion), so they only last as long as the money is still there.

The most generous/significant rebates are for energy-efficient electric appliances to replace gas-powered appliances. You can get some of them covered up to 100% if your household makes less than ~$55k and 50% covered if you make more.

Aww man, none of the big ones are for renters.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
When does this bill take effect? Our 18 year old second car’s engine bit the dust recently and I was thinking about getting an electric. Seeing how long I would need to hold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Apparently there are some pretty hefty caveats on the EV tax credit. For vehicles to qualify, they have to have X% of their parts made / assembled in the US and there are sticker price limits that will cut out a good portion of EVs from qualifying.

And for the used EV credit, you have to have owned the EV for 2 years and the sale can't be for more than 25k, which again, cuts out a huge number. The bill seems like a massive giveaway to Tesla as it removes the 100k vehicles sold rule, which makes Tesla EVs qualify again (none qualify for the rebate now) and Tesla is US-based.