Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I think gamers skip bad dialogue and sluggish performances. I would argue that someone playing the Persona games, for instance, isn't mashing through the dialogue on a first playthrough because the performances and writing are solid.
I have to really make an effort to not skip through dialogue in anything, and even then my patience usually wears out like halfway through each sentence

way more likely to listen to animal crossing style beepboops than actual VA work tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zuzie posted:

They probably wouldn't put voice acting into the mainline Pokemon games since would also cause script issues where none of the characters who speak can't refer to the player character by name or, in some languages, by gender. If they wanted to eliminate this issue then they'd have to limit character customization and that's a huge no-no at this point.

This isn't a big deal. Lots of games get around this problem by having separate voice lines referring to the player's gender, referring to the player as "you" or "them", or saying the player's name in unvoiced cutscenes. Dragon Quest has been doing it since the PS2 era.

Diet Poison posted:

Y'all gotta remember Pokemon supports like nine or ten languages now. So any voice work they get done you have to multiply by every language, and I can only assume that's a lot more work than Game Freak is willing to do. (And then does it all get stored on the cartridge? How much space does that take up? Or would you pick a language and then it has to download the audio files onto your switch before you can play? I really have no loving clue how modern video games work.) For me Pokemon's never been a "full immersion" sort of game anyway, I play with the volume off while half-watching something on tv, and I assume a good chunk of the player base is the same, given that it's the sort of game where you don't have to give it your full attention to progress.

Again, not a big deal. Plenty of games have multiple voice tracks for many languages all stored on disk, some of which have way more voiced dialogue than a Pokemon game would.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neo_Crimson posted:

Again, not a big deal. Plenty of games have multiple voice tracks for many languages all stored on disk, some of which have way more voiced dialogue than a Pokemon game would.

Almost every time one of these technical bits is brought up it's always something that's been part of the medium at large for like half a decade at this point. Either People don't play any other games or they really don't think much of what gamefreaks capable of.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think they just don't want to have VA. Not like in a "its too much effort" way but its just not what they want.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Almost every time one of these technical bits is brought up it's always something that's been part of the medium at large for like half a decade at this point. Either People don't play any other games or they really don't think much of what gamefreaks capable of.

Even other Switch games. Fire Emblem: Three Houses has every single line of dialogue fully voiced and is far more dense than Pokemon ever would with how much text is in the game. Pokemon could do it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can't they use the anime's voice actors?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Once again, I think that time is the big challenge here. It took a considerable logistical effort for them to beef up their localization processes to the point that they could have the script ready to go in nine languages for a simultaneous worldwide launch. Throwing a shitload of money at the problem is a necessary but not sufficient component of that process. Because it further would increase the time that's needed between finishing the script and launching the game, adding full voice acting while still sticking to their very aggressive release cycle would take an already hard problem and make it much harder. And it's not clear that they see much value in trying, since people already seem to like it just fine without any voices.

If they were to attempt such a thing, I would expect it to only come after they've further refined the development process to address the production difficulties they encountered in generations 7 and 8.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

man, SO many good options to choose from. someone who thought Swordard and Shieldbert were funny, well-written characters might benefit from reading, idk, the Animorphs series, which features some very paint-by-numbers characterizations but also evolving into creatures. For a more engaging read I might recommend "Dawn" by Octavia Butler, a wildly imaginative story by one of the USA's first and best woman-of-color sci fi writers, which also involves some sentient creatures that are collecting other sentient creatures.

he should read stalingrad by antony beevor. theres no punchline here its just a really good book its just about the battle of stalingrad with accounts from german and soviet soldiers. everyone should read it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've read a lot on Soviet history, more focused on the Cold War than anything but I ain't really looking for more.

E: Thanks for the rec though. Not trying to snub it or anything.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Bee posted:

The idea of Leon having a doped-up supercharizard and then a team of lovely route 1 fodder was such a good one. Especially because it would've furthered the whole idea of him being a parallel to the player. Who didn't have at least one gen where they basically played by grinding their starter and nothing else?

Man that dumb Leon rumor really broke the fanbase didn't it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eh, didn't seem to have as big a run as "The Ultra Beasts are actually people!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Eh, didn't seem to have as big a run as "The Ultra Beasts are actually people!"

At least that one was somewhat plausible due to the human character designs resembling the Ultra Beasts so closely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People thought Gladion was Buzzwole

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I said it before but given how bare bones and bad their character writings making it purely about the sports stuff would suck even more. Sports animes live and die by character interactions and arcs and little moments where entire games and their back and forth are essentially metaphorical battles between characters' clashing ideals and ways of thinking. Pokemon's character writing would fail at that even harder than anything else. You talk to marnie maybe 5 times in a 40 hour RPG, how the gently caress are you supposed to have any significant clash of mindsets with her on the sports field?

In a tournament it'd be even worse since you have to set up to characters' interactions outside the fights before hand to let the matches be the big climax of those relationships and gen 8 is among the worst of the pokemon games about giving side-characters breathing room in the script to interact with one another and see how they work. Gen 7 at least consistently had the trial leaders and Kahunas and your rivals meeting up, talking poo poo and developing some rapport. Gen 8 has 3 lines of dialogue between Hop and Bed before they have an off screen fight and a few minutes at what is essentially the end of the narrative for most of the characters.

Just taking out the poo poo with Rose doesn't fix anything, the game needs a total rewrite (or just to be written in the first place) to get anything worth talking about out of this. There's no salvaging what's in game because they're basically nothing here.

it definitely needs a total rewrite, but i think the benefit of making it a purely sports focused plot is that you just simplify poo poo. pokemon stories are at their worst when they're trying to be about some world ending bigger than life crap, and they're at their best when it just plays into the pokemon world. its why team rocket and team skull are favorites, theres not a bunch of bullshit or ideology around them. team plasma had a decent concept in theory but that idea was never going to be consistent with the world and the poo poo with N and Ghestis is all stupid

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Diet Poison posted:

So I haven't played SwSh in a long time but I decided to try for the shiny charm which means I have to fill up the Pokedex, which means I have to make some trades. I never really bothered to use the GTS this generation because it seemed really stupidly set up and, well, every pokemon I search for on it I just get "the specified pokemon does not exist" which after a cursory google appears to just mean that there are no trades available which I can satisfy, because I only have 4 pokemon in Home, because why in the gently caress would I store my Pokemon in the cloud when I can store them on my save file. I just wanted to see what people are looking for in exchange for the Pokemon I need, so I could load them onto Home and trade them.

I'd say odds are 50/50 that I'm doing something wrong vs Gamefreak et al are just extremely incompetent and love replacing perfectly workable systems with stupid janky ones. So am I doing something wrong or is the GTS just complete garbage this gen? I'd just ask in here for trades but it's a lot since I'm too stubborn to pay to move my Pokemon from the 3DS games.

i'm afraid of storing poo poo on stuff like home at this point because i'm pretty sure i accidentally lost a couple hundred on the bank because either i didnt have autopay enrolled or my card expired and i didnt update with a new one. also there was a celebi event that i got hosed out of for whatever reason

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I think gamers skip bad dialogue and sluggish performances. I would argue that someone playing the Persona games, for instance, isn't mashing through the dialogue on a first playthrough because the performances and writing are solid.

The problem is that while a lot of the industry has moved on to better storytelling and dialogue, there's still a certain percentage of releases that have writing that's very clearly the kind of 'video game writing' that people blitz through.

the only jrpg i played for a longass time was pokemon (other than a couple of exceptions) and one of my buddies got straight up pissed at me when we were running a coop of tales of symphonia. 'why arent you talking to any of the npcs' 'why arent you checking every house'. because none of the npcs in pokemon have anything worth reading - at best you'll get a TM or a hold item but all npcs have such trite and uninteresting dialogue that its not even worth that. and you'll get a TM like fuckin embargo or whatever to boot

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I talk to the people in Pokemon.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i dont think much of what gamefreak is capable of but it fucks with me at this point that it feels like people defending gamefreak are a lot more pessimistic than haters are. people asking for like a better UI for the inventory and someone comes in like you're talking about a school for the blind

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I talk to the people in Pokemon.

science is amazing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's right

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've read a lot on Soviet history, more focused on the Cold War than anything but I ain't really looking for more.

E: Thanks for the rec though. Not trying to snub it or anything.

all of antony beevors stuff rules pick somehting at random. he just came out with arnhem which is cool if you want to get mad about how the british military hosed up market garden

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Does the Pokemon anime have decent voice acting? You would think they'd hire the same people.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Since the games are usually ahead of the anime, the games would probably have new VA for the new characters. Not that that would really be a problem. I really doubt accessibility to VA is a factor in Pokemon games not having any.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Gamefreak coders only know how to pee and their designers only know how to poop. they have to work together to do all of the bathrooms

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Cavauro posted:

Gamefreak coders only know how to pee and their designers only know how to poop. they have to work together to do all of the bathrooms

there are separate bathrooms for peeing and pooping

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
they shouldn't do voice acting. they should have people speak in banjo kazooie noises (story characters and Charles only)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Gamefreak already added voice acting to the mainline series and it was hated/rejected by most people.

I'm taking about Pikachu and Eevees' cries

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Did anyone reject having Pikachu say it’s name? It’s janky, but only because it’s *only* Pikachu and not the entire line, so on S/M you catch a Pichu that does the little video game noise, it evolves and says “pika pi” and then at some point it gets one shot by a neutral move and you evolve it, when it goes back to video game noises.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
If I want to move all my Pokemon from ORAS, X/Y, Sun/Moon etc do I need to actually buy two subscriptions? I can't deposit anything into Pokemon bank because the subscription is lapsed and I took everything out ages ago because I didn't want a subscription to lapse and lose everything because I forgot that I'd changed a credit card at some point

So I think I would need a month of Pokemon Bank (3DS) and then an active Pokemon Home account, right?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Tampa Bae posted:

If I want to move all my Pokemon from ORAS, X/Y, Sun/Moon etc do I need to actually buy two subscriptions? I can't deposit anything into Pokemon bank because the subscription is lapsed and I took everything out ages ago because I didn't want a subscription to lapse and lose everything because I forgot that I'd changed a credit card at some point

So I think I would need a month of Pokemon Bank (3DS) and then an active Pokemon Home account, right?

If you want to do it right now then yes. If you're happy to wait until I think April, they're making Bank included for free as part of a Home subscription.

but you have to make sure you download/update bank now because they're shutting down the 3DS store.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Hammerite posted:

If you want to do it right now then yes. If you're happy to wait until I think April, they're making Bank included for free as part of a Home subscription.

but you have to make sure you download/update bank now because they're shutting down the 3DS store.
I've already updated bank and I see the option to move to Pokemon Home. Kind of a bummer that they're still charging for Bank with plans of shutting down the 3DS online but it's only a few dollars ($3 maybe?) for a month.

The only downside to this is I've not played Sun/Moon at all yet so if I want to transfer all those pokemon over I'll need to complete it and then fill up the pokedex in a month

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Beevor is a liberal ideologue hack and SS rehabilitationists love his work, don’t read his nonsense

IronicDongz posted:

I have to really make an effort to not skip through dialogue in anything, and even then my patience usually wears out like halfway through each sentence

way more likely to listen to animal crossing style beepboops than actual VA work tbh

Yeah get the Minions to VA Pokémon games

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, I'd like VA in pokemon. If they're gonna make the text boxes loving lipsync then i wanna hear the characters talk. I would also like NPCs to have a few lines, like just a voiced pre-battle and post-battle thing. Am completely fine with most dialogue from town people being unvoiced.

At very least, they have vocals if they insist on doing a musical number. If only to avoid a repeat of Piers’ “song”.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that was amazingly bold in how lovely it was. they play tested that scene and decided to keep it in the game. the balls on gamefreak.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

This isn't a big deal. Lots of games get around this problem by having separate voice lines referring to the player's gender, referring to the player as "you" or "them", or saying the player's name in unvoiced cutscenes. Dragon Quest has been doing it since the PS2 era.

I'm replaying Fire Emblem Three Houses which reminded me that they manage this by having every character call you "Professor" or "My teacher". Which is kind of awkward especially since you can romance most of the cast :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I'm replaying Fire Emblem Three Houses which reminded me that they manage this by having every character call you "Professor" or "My teacher". Which is kind of awkward especially since you can romance most of the cast :v:

The solution to this is that they’re called “Professor Babe” once the romance is triggered

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Should be noted that it's May 2023 when the 3DS eShop actually closes and Bank becomes free. What's happening at the end of the month is that you can no longer use eShop cards to add funds to the 3DS/Wii U account (you can still use funds from a shared Nintendo account, with a Switch registered, too, until next May to buy things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

The solution to this is that they’re called “Professor Babe” once the romance is triggered

or just come up with other names or ways to address them, e.g. Claude calls you teach. plus in Pokémon you’re a peer, just have people give you nicknames based on your dialogue choices during your first interaction or two with them. oh hey look it’s mr malasada. it’s captain kalos. It’s fuckup mcshithole