Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does anyone have opinions on this c.1998 breeder website? http://jcmdogtraining.com/copperfieldgoldens.html They're semi-local and wanting to hold on to the dogs until 4 months or so looking for potential show dogs. That suits me fine because I won't really be ready for a dog until September/October. Her health guarantees in the contract seem very good and they've been breeding a long time. I spoke with her on the phone and liked her alot-she said there were some dogs in this litter that seemed pretty chill. The price is steep but not really out of line with what I've seen for other golden puppies from good breeders.

Any red flags? Any problems with getting a puppy at 4 or 5 months instead of 8 weeks?

The breeder seems fine. In a super competitive breed like goldens I don't mind not seeing conformation titles on the parents and I like the testing I saw. They have a very sane contract (shocking!) and seem to stand behind what they produce. The price is higher than I'm used to in my breed but not wild for a well bred dog in a popular breed. If you talked to them and liked what you heard then I would be comfortable getting a pup from them.

I got my cattle dog at a bit over 4 months because of the same situation and it was totally fine. She was already sleeping through the night and I ended up having to do very little basic potty training or baby puppy stuff. She adjusted really well to her new life and you would never know that I didn't have her from 8 weeks. You do have to really trust that the breeder is doing that early socialization that you'll be missing and is breeding dogs with a sound genetic temperament to begin with but I wouldn't have a problem doing it again in the future. Just make sure you find local puppy classes that allow puppies that old because some places don't take pups over 16 weeks and at least my puppy was really not mature enough to be in an adult dog class. That could just be me because I think taking a group class to learn how to teach your dog and have some bonding time is really valuable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Thank you for your calming responses about my food aggression panic! It's all been fine since I've been making sure they're firmly separated for all their meals, no repeat incidents. Back when my broodie was still a guide dog in training that incident could've been disqualifying for her so I guess I still have to adjust my mindset for her new career path!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en/home

I don't think there's many hound people in here, but if you happen to know someone I'd super appreciate sharing this to them. My mother in law setup a fundraiser for Basset Hound rescue with Hush Puppies which involves people buying a beanie for their dog and taking a photograph of them looking adorable, with the winning entry then choosing a rescue for the money to be donated to. Really want to make this a success as the company has been so enthusiastic and insanely fast moving to get this set up, and it'd be great to get a response that raises a ton of cash for hounds in need.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm a hound dude but I don't get anything from your link. Could you give something more specific

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This appears to be a better link about Beanies for Bassets: https://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en/blog?url=//hushpuppies_us/2022/07/27/beanies-for-bassets/

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

somebody managed to get the door of the quail cage open after dark while all the birds were asleep. she had her head in there among the quail for at least five minutes, eating grain and poo, before i realised - but she didn't hurt a single bird! (i'm not sure the quail even knew she was there. once a quail is asleep, their brain is switched off until the sun comes back.)

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 6, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, the front page should have a big splash for it. I linked to that because it's pretty cool we've got a hero image on the site at the moment, and it links to both the store/details.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
So all of the OP seems very puppy centric - I'm looking into adopting an older (2 year old or so) rescue dog at some point soon - does most of the same stuff apply?

edit; more info - I grew up with dogs but never had one of my own. I feel I'm finally at a point now where I can actually give a dog the environment and attention he/she deserves - house with yard, stable relationship, stable job a 10 minute drive from my house.

So far I have on my shopping list - bed, leash, collar, food, a few kinds of treats, food bowls, toys, and clicker.

Just wondering if the training aspect changes for an older dog vs a puppy, or if there's any specifics to a dog that may not be quite as impressionable. Also flags to look out for when meeting potential dogs wouldn't be bad either!

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 6, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 6, 2024

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dramatika posted:

So all of the OP seems very puppy centric - I'm looking into adopting an older (2 year old or so) rescue dog at some point soon - does most of the same stuff apply?

edit; more info - I grew up with dogs but never had one of my own. I feel I'm finally at a point now where I can actually give a dog the environment and attention he/she deserves - house with yard, stable relationship, stable job a 10 minute drive from my house.

So far I have on my shopping list - bed, leash, collar, food, a few kinds of treats, food bowls, toys, and clicker.

Just wondering if the training aspect changes for an older dog vs a puppy, or if there's any specifics to a dog that may not be quite as impressionable. Also flags to look out for when meeting potential dogs wouldn't be bad either!

It's very similar, the main thing is just to give the dog plenty of time to decompress. The dog you bring home might not be the same dog you have in 3 day, 3 weeks or 3 months. Check out the books Do Over Dogs or Love Has No Age Limits for more adult rehome focused information.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Can anyone recommend a water dispenser that doesn't allow a dog with longer facial hair to slop the water all over?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Trim their beard and/or put the water dish over something you don't mind getting wet.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ghostnuke posted:

Can anyone recommend a water dispenser that doesn't allow a dog with longer facial hair to slop the water all over?

lol, you should meet my neighbor's doberman. She's the sloppiest eater/drinker I've EVER seen. My doodle's beard/moustache gets a little damp when he drinks, he does really well. She comes over to play and we spend 20 minutes mopping up after she's gone.

It's definitely more of a personality than grooming thing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AlexDeGruven posted:

lol, you should meet my neighbor's doberman. She's the sloppiest eater/drinker I've EVER seen. My doodle's beard/moustache gets a little damp when he drinks, he does really well. She comes over to play and we spend 20 minutes mopping up after she's gone.

It's definitely more of a personality than grooming thing.

Definitely this.

Ahboo, my last dog, was a doodle with a big, distinguished beard. He drank very gingerly* and never made a mess, other than a few drips when he walked away.

Kepler is lab mix with no beard at all. He shoves his face as far into the water bowl as possible and goes crazy, sending small tidal waves all over the area.

You can trim the beard, but a sloppy drinker is still going to make a mess.

* Ahboo also drank in perfect 3/4 time. SLURP slurp slurp, SLURP slurp slurp. You could waltz to it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Kedah was a dutch shepard with not much floof around her face, but she would only drink water like she had been lost in a desert for a week. Splashed water everywhere. I eventually got one of those big messy feeders with a high lip and the resevoir for catching food and water from sloppy pups

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Greetings dog thread. My dog got skunked last night. We gave her a bath immediately. She has a vet appointment today. Any advice?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Greetings dog thread. My dog got skunked last night. We gave her a bath immediately. She has a vet appointment today. Any advice?

Did you do the classic dish soap/peroxide/baking soda cleaning? That’s the most important thing. It’s usually recommended before a bath, but it’ll still help now if you haven’t. There’s also some commercial skunk smell removers you can find. I think Natures Miracle does a decent one.

But you won’t get completely rid of it for a while. We usually tossed any collars or anything that was associated. If they’re a long furred breed, a shave then more anti-smell could go a long way too (they might even appreciate it during the summer). But be prepared to smell it on them for a while, especially when wet.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

St_Ides posted:

Did you do the classic dish soap/peroxide/baking soda cleaning? That’s the most important thing. It’s usually recommended before a bath, but it’ll still help now if you haven’t. There’s also some commercial skunk smell removers you can find. I think Natures Miracle does a decent one.

But you won’t get completely rid of it for a while. We usually tossed any collars or anything that was associated. If they’re a long furred breed, a shave then more anti-smell could go a long way too (they might even appreciate it during the summer). But be prepared to smell it on them for a while, especially when wet.

Yeah, did the mix.

Maybe I'll grab one of the skunk shampoos. Very funny that it happened the night before her boosters.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, did the mix.

Maybe I'll grab one of the skunk shampoos. Very funny that it happened the night before her boosters.
Even with a thorough bath and grooming, you'll likely be catching skunk scents for at least a week. Ahboo had an addiction to chasing skunks, and on multiple occasions he got sprayed right between the eyes.

Don't bother with any of the "home remedies" that don't involve dish soap (which is the only thing that will really help to get the oils off the skin and fur). As funny as it might be to dump a bunch of tomato soup/sauce/paste on your dog...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My dog had an ear infection and we just finished treatment but does anyone have good tips on how to get the antibiotic ear goo out of fur? I tried soap and a comb but that just made her mad, Id rather not get her ear area too wet

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hatty posted:

My dog had an ear infection and we just finished treatment but does anyone have good tips on how to get the antibiotic ear goo out of fur? I tried soap and a comb but that just made her mad, Id rather not get her ear area too wet

That's the neat thing; You don't!

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I posted a while back about my mutt barking at me to give him his chew before bedtime, then barking at me after lights out for another chew, and then again, and so on. Well, I took the harsh medicine of refusing him the additional chew, ordering him back to bed, giving him a little treat, and generally riding it out. That has worked pretty well. If we stick to the routine of chew - bed - lights out, he usually goes to sleep without bugging me. If the routine gets interrupted, I think he forgets that he's already had his bedtime chew and he thinks we're still mid-routine instead of at the end of it and now I still owe him a greenie. So, thanks for the help. I think this problem, at least, is resolved.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
RE: Skunk Dog - Just smoke a bunch of weed in the house for the next week and you won't even be able to tell.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Great now instead of skunk dog it smells like skunk weed

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Go find the skunk and spray it back

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I adopted an 8m old lab yesterday. This is the youngest I've adopted and I am already so, so tired.

Took the dog for a walk this morning before I fed him. Let him out in the yard 30min after feeding him. When my roommate got up I asked them to watch the dog for a few minutes while I took a crap. 5 minutes later my dog took a crap in the house. :sigh: Took the dog for a walk after I finished my own business but it wasn't immediately and I doubt he learned anything.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
After five plus years of living in apartments with people outside and in the hallway Brisket now has a backyard and home of his own and had learned to channel his inner bork. We don't have blinds yet so he's barking at the neighbors, barking at people walking by.
And constant barking and jumping at anyone who comes inside. Still an angel outside the house.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Jesus christ this dog will not do his business outside. Not when I walk him, not when I sit outside with him. The moment I let him in he is waiting for me to turn my head so he can slip off to a corner and drop some. He's some kinda piss-ninja :ninja: and this is day 1 it's not like I've been shouting at him for peeing so he's afraid to pee around me. I am using a calm but firm tone but goddamnit he really is doing this on purpose. He absolutely insists on only going INSIDE. I have spent this entire day walking my dog and then cleaning up poo poo and piss. I have a treatbag ready and take him out immediately when it happens inside. I don't stop to clean it until I get back. I tried sitting outside and reading with him for an hour after he drank water thinking maybe he'll wander off and pee outside. He slept in the grass like a little angel. He will not do anything outside. Only indoors. 3 poops and many pees.

On top of that he has some teething issues and is trying to chew everything including the carpet and walls. He likes the rope toys and hard plastic toys but quickly gets distracted and then he goes for a book or a shoe or a remote or stairs, carpets, pillows, the rug, etc. So a lot of asking what's he chewing on? Okay that's a toy. Good boy! What's he chewing on? No. Stop. Here's a toy. Good boy. I cannot let him out of my sight for 5 seconds. This is insane. Toddlers are not this agile or prone to destruction.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lol, aw puppies. By this time next year you'll be laughing about all this chaos

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Sanctum posted:

Jesus christ this dog will not do his business outside. Not when I walk him, not when I sit outside with him. The moment I let him in he is waiting for me to turn my head so he can slip off to a corner and drop some. He's some kinda piss-ninja :ninja: and this is day 1 it's not like I've been shouting at him for peeing so he's afraid to pee around me. I am using a calm but firm tone but goddamnit he really is doing this on purpose. He absolutely insists on only going INSIDE. I have spent this entire day walking my dog and then cleaning up poo poo and piss. I have a treatbag ready and take him out immediately when it happens inside. I don't stop to clean it until I get back. I tried sitting outside and reading with him for an hour after he drank water thinking maybe he'll wander off and pee outside. He slept in the grass like a little angel. He will not do anything outside. Only indoors. 3 poops and many pees.

On top of that he has some teething issues and is trying to chew everything including the carpet and walls. He likes the rope toys and hard plastic toys but quickly gets distracted and then he goes for a book or a shoe or a remote or stairs, carpets, pillows, the rug, etc. So a lot of asking what's he chewing on? Okay that's a toy. Good boy! What's he chewing on? No. Stop. Here's a toy. Good boy. I cannot let him out of my sight for 5 seconds. This is insane. Toddlers are not this agile or prone to destruction.

Oh, you poor thing! A mate of mine said they'd had both toddlers and puppies and puppies are infinitely harder, and given my experience thus far with Holly, I'm inclined to believe them.

I'm sure he's settling in, and this won't be forever. Keep at it, it sounds like you're doing great!

I am right with you there on the "oh no what is it you've got in your mouth?!" dread. Something I did before we got Holly was to realise I am utterly neurotic and a.) Would stress about her health and safety endlessly and b.) would have a meltdown if she got her grabby mouth onto important things like my shoes and started destroying them or putting them far away from where I left them. Therefore I needed to bite the bullet and create a puppy zone in our house.

I'm actually sitting there now. Her area is our kitchen/dining/laundry part of the house, which is the thankfully tiled (easier to clean up accidents) and shut off by a cheap baby gate. Our kitchen table now has 2 chairs total (coz she chews on them and it's easier to keep an eye on her with fewer chairs), and everything on top of the counters is roughly 4 inches away from the edge (she's begun counter surfing :negative:). The bookshelf I removed the bottom shelves and the books so she can't chew on them.

This has been very good for Holly's health and wellbeing as well as my own. She still gets a hold of things she absolutely shouldn't (particularly tea towels and dish gloves - you'll put them down for a moment not realising she can see it and wants it, then suddenly it's vanished while your back is turned), but it's definitely more manageable.

It also means I can leave her to play by herself if I need to go out to appointments, to the shops, when I'm working from home, etc, and I'm not too worried about her destroying things while I'm out.

I am really looking forward to the day all this isn't necessary, though. It will be nice if we ever end up with a chill dog who sleeps on the couch or in the living room who doesn't think electrical cables are a tasty chew toy. :shobon:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hello! I brough home an Envigo Beagle on Friday! He is a sweet but shy boy, but is slowly warming up. His foster name was Rocket Raccoon (all the envigo dogs they had were named after comic book characters) and is 2 1/2 years old. He was just neutered last week. We're having some issues with him marking in the house. I was wondering what the current BEST enzyme cleaner is for pet urine. Would be awesome if it works great for cat urine too for double duty.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I realized you probably want some pics.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A lot of the time the dogs stomach has a schedule that can be based on time, events, and meals. My dog currently poops everyday in the morning just after breakfast and usually after lunch so I make sure to walk her everyday at that time. Try to figure out what times your dog is going to the bathroom and take them for walks during those times so they have no choice but to use the bathroom outside. The movement might make some movement happen too.

At least, that's what worked for me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah I used to keep timetables whenever I got a new puppy to foster to track their toileting. When they're super young it's good for checking "oh, they haven't had a wee in half an hour, they'll probably need one again soon" but even as they get older it helps you figure out their natural toileting schedule.

Although now that my dog is heavily pregnant she's basically back to the half hour timing again lol.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alterian posted:

Hello! I brough home an Envigo Beagle on Friday! He is a sweet but shy boy, but is slowly warming up. His foster name was Rocket Raccoon (all the envigo dogs they had were named after comic book characters) and is 2 1/2 years old. He was just neutered last week. We're having some issues with him marking in the house. I was wondering what the current BEST enzyme cleaner is for pet urine. Would be awesome if it works great for cat urine too for double duty.

I've been beyond impressed with the work Nature's Miracle does pet messes, regardless of which end the mess originated from.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pavlov hurt his right rear leg yesterday. He didn't want to put weight on it. He was doing a little better today, was willing to walk around the house, so we went on a very slow walk. It was going well until he pooped, after which he reflexively tried to dig dirt over the pile, yelped, and started walking on three legs :smith:

At least he pooped (and urinated), so he should be OK to just lie around the house today. Hopefully he improves from here.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A friend sent me this comic today, thought a couple of you itt dealing with new puppy woes would enjoy:

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Oh look how far we've come.

Here's Bingo the day he showed up at my door on 5/8/2022. He could barely stand, the poor boy.:

A few months of good dog food and pets and walks and now he's absolutely jacked!

He thinks my nephew is the awesomest thing to play with.

I like dogs, I think they are neat.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I mailed a check for a deposit on a golden retriever puppy Friday :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

gizmojumpjet posted:

Oh look how far we've come.

Here's Bingo the day he showed up at my door on 5/8/2022. He could barely stand, the poor boy.:

A few months of good dog food and pets and walks and now he's absolutely jacked!

What are you doing with Pongo give him back

Poor guy was a stray too, plus the shelter didn’t feed him enough. A year later: