Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So if you've missed the Dark Brandon memes, it was basically twitter leftists going, hey, what if Joe Biden was actually trying to accomplish things? What if his entire presidency wasn't premised on the idea that he shouldn't have to do anything but receive unending gratitude and deference from Democrats and Republicans alike for being not-Trump? What if he wasn't most passionate telling black people to shut up about the piggish brutality of the most well-funded police state in human history and having reveries about hugging and kissing Mitch McConnell and Strom Thurmond?
So you have a news item, and in response people shitpost glowing-eyes Biden and say it's all part of Dark Brandon's master plan. Unlike the Dark MAGA stuff, it's premised on how uncool you think Biden is.

Anyway, a watered-down anti-inflation reconciliation bill has passed the Senate. It doesn't have many of the good things people want and need, like insulin price caps and reinstatement of the child tax credits that were dropped out of spite, and does have giveaways to the worst people in the country. But still:
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1556412614531584003
(Senator)
https://twitter.com/RFlaherty46/status/1556365427097440257
(White House staff)

Welp, whether you thought it was funny or not, meme over everyone, was fun while it lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

So if you've missed the Dark Brandon memes, it was basically twitter leftists going, hey, what if Joe Biden was actually trying to accomplish things? What if his entire presidency wasn't premised on the idea that he shouldn't have to do anything but receive unending gratitude and deference from Democrats and Republicans alike for being not-Trump? What if he wasn't most passionate telling black people to shut up about the piggish brutality of the most well-funded police state in human history and having reveries about hugging and kissing Mitch McConnell and Strom Thurmond?
So you have a news item, and in response people shitpost glowing-eyes Biden and say it's all part of Dark Brandon's master plan. Unlike the Dark MAGA stuff, it's premised on how uncool you think Biden is.

Anyway, a watered-down anti-inflation reconciliation bill has passed the Senate. It doesn't have many of the good things people want and need, like insulin price caps and reinstatement of the child tax credits that were dropped out of spite, and does have giveaways to the worst people in the country. But still:
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1556412614531584003
(Senator)
https://twitter.com/RFlaherty46/status/1556365427097440257
(White House staff)

Welp, whether you thought it was funny or not, meme over everyone, was fun while it lasted.

Basically catching Covid lit a fire under both Joes Biden and Manchin's asses and altered their DNA into, while not being good people, at least no longer being shitheads enough to try and do something, ANYTHING, before the Republicans seize permanent control over the United States in November.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically catching Covid lit a fire under both Joes Biden and Manchin's asses and altered their DNA into, while not being good people, at least no longer being shitheads enough to try and do something, ANYTHING, before the Republicans seize permanent control over the United States in November.

lol no

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

nine-gear crow posted:

Think so? It would be a nice alternative to what usually happens when one of these ghouls catches COVID. Trump, DeSantis, Boris Johnson, Bolsonaro, etc all basically became full-on Nurgle devotees after their brushes with COVID.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I should clarify that that's some people's take on the meme, nothing I actually believe myself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ellle_em/status/1556239111765336065?s=20&t=6130PVxMvL6jzf88r9v3-w

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr Christmas posted:

Think so? It would be a nice alternative to what usually happens when one of these ghouls catches COVID. Trump, DeSantis, Boris Johnson, Bolsonaro, etc all basically became full-on Nurgle devotees after their brushes with COVID.

Every one of these people, and both Joes, were already full‐on Nurgle devotees.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
the chudosphere is upset because they mobilised late on this "issue" and since it's on Hulu braying gwoke groke isn't the foolproof threat it usually is. "she get too strong" is all they can think of but it's explicitly not true and clearly lined out, like for a baby to understand lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

I should clarify that that's some people's take on the meme, nothing I actually believe myself.

they're sitting lawmakers trying to keep their jobs and paid DNC operatives/staffers, OP, they have no actual thought process or moral compass

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the comments on the trailers for the new LOTR series are full of a bunch of neckbeards posting the "evil cannot create, only corrupt" Tolkien quote. they think they're being profound instead of very embarrassing and stupid

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I shall make it my life's calling to prevent minorities from getting representation in beloved popular culture. This in no way makes me evil, in fact it is u who are evil"

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I learned that "valueless" is a word. Also, after some confusion, I learned that it has the opposite meaning of "priceless".

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Midnight Voyager posted:

imagining a booming voice from above, saying "LONELY HOT MILFS IN YOUR AREA". I feel like that'd make it hard for me to do the job.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Reticulating spines?
Disarticulating spines

nine-gear crow posted:

Little White Cuck Ball
This is stored in the "phrases that will leap into your mind at random" part of the brain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arnold killed the predator with a tree

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
one of the replies to that twitter predator thing was about how she doesn't kill the predator he kills himself (yeah idiot that was her plan) so she's bad or something apparently forgetting that Schwarzenegger DOESN'T KILL THE PREDATOR it blows itself up trying to kill them both

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danny Glover killed the Predator bc he’s the goat and Predator 2 is the best

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

jjack229 posted:

I learned that "valueless" is a word. Also, after some confusion, I learned that it has the opposite meaning of "priceless".

Wait till you learn about invaluable!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
the predators presenting Danny Glover a trophy for killing one of their kind: "this is for being strong, not for using your brains. we only value brute strength. we hate traps, stealth, cunning, and especially combining the weapons and hubris of your enemies to overcome them in asynchronous warfare.

anyway we're off to jettison a singular warrior on an unfamiliar planet to work through its species like an mk tournament, using only his advanced weaponry, armour, thermal vision and stealth cloak"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Entire movie pointing out that this person is capable and learned everything she used to defeat the Predator which had been through multiple battles, being wounded the entire time.

Me: "god damned Mary Sue woke culture bullshit!"

Honestly though, this movie did a cool thing and present the Predator's earliest canonical enemies.

The French

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

dialhforhero posted:

Wait till you learn about invaluable!

Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

the predators presenting Danny Glover a trophy for killing one of their kind: "this is for being strong, not for using your brains. we only value brute strength. we hate traps, stealth, cunning, and especially combining the weapons and hubris of your enemies to overcome them in asynchronous warfare.

anyway we're off to jettison a singular warrior on an unfamiliar planet to work through its species like an mk tournament, using only his advanced weaponry, armour, thermal vision and stealth cloak"

Dr Who is generally arse from a bum and Chibnall's stuff is particularly arse, but I did like how the Predatoresque guy who portrayed himself as a proud hunter turned out to be a craven weenie whose grand quarry was an unarmed and oblivious builder from a species centuries behind his own. Because that'd the kind of poo poo an 'honourable' hunter culture would quickly descend into IRL.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Push El Burrito posted:

Honestly though, this movie did a cool thing and present the Predator's earliest canonical enemies.

The French

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Danny Glover killed the Predator bc he’s the goat and Predator 2 is the best

I liked the alternate ending

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ghosthorse posted:

one of the replies to that twitter predator thing was about how she doesn't kill the predator he kills himself (yeah idiot that was her plan) so she's bad or something apparently forgetting that Schwarzenegger DOESN'T KILL THE PREDATOR it blows itself up trying to kill them both

I mean, he does kill the Predator. The Pred just decides to nuke them both because he knows he's defeated and going to die.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, he does kill the Predator. The Pred just decides to nuke them both because he knows he's defeated and going to die.

Following the idea that the Predator is Prey is a younger, less experienced/cocky Pred, it’s possible they didn’t give him a nuke for, well, all of the obvious reasons you wouldn’t give someone like that a nuke. He’s got explosives on his bracer and uses them, but they’re relatively short range, as Pred ordnance goes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Predator didn’t really need to use it since it thought it already won.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I really liked Prey, and I clapped with joy when you see the pistol is the same from Predator 2. It's a shame the only terrible Predator movie (while writing this, I honestly forgot about the AvP movies lol), is the one from Shane Black.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Data Graham posted:

"I shall make it my life's calling to prevent minorities from getting representation in beloved popular culture. This in no way makes me evil, in fact it is u who are evil"
This is one of those useful object lessons for how to tell "racist" from "bigot."

A bigot is someone who actively hates a demographic more or less "because." You're being bigoted when you look at someone and go "I dislike their nose shape" or "I find their skin color unattractive."

A racist is not necessarily bigoted. They might have a lot of love for minorities. They "have a black friend" or maybe even dated/married someone outside of their race. But they also have a very clear idea about every race's "place." Maybe that "place" is even quite high, but if someone is shown to be outside of that "place" then "they're scamming the system" and "playing unfair." Nevermind that most of these racists get massive privilege and legs up, those don't count, those are just them being "good players" but that's tangential.

And because education and general literacy is rear end and butt all over the drat place, most people think the two terms are 100% interchangeable. When they're shown racism in movies, it's rarely casual racism, because casual racists are a huge audience. It's always a cartoon bigot. It's Alan Tudyk in 42 screaming the n-word. That's how schools teach it. That's what most people genuinely think racism looks like.

This imbecile probably does think in his heart of hearts "I don't actively hate women, Natives, or anyone that isn't like me [they're just not in their place and that's a problem for fairness]. Therefore I'm not racist, and anyone who calls me that is just presenting a smokescreen for their own sneaky agenda to take power over me, like I would if I were lying to someone's face."

And even if he doesn't, enough casual readers are dumb enough to think that so why not just carry it forward?

GreenMetalSun posted:

Following the idea that the Predator is Prey is a younger, less experienced/cocky Pred, it’s possible they didn’t give him a nuke for, well, all of the obvious reasons you wouldn’t give someone like that a nuke. He’s got explosives on his bracer and uses them, but they’re relatively short range, as Pred ordnance goes.

The director was quoted as saying he wanted the design to reflect both more primitive Pred tech to reflect the centuries of time difference between Prey and the original movie, and to show that this is like "maybe a Predator from another hemisphere or something, and the style he goes with is just different." (paraphrased).

It was the right call the redesign was tight. Way better than the attempts to have "Super Predators."

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Aug 8, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

mind the walrus posted:

The director was quoted as saying he wanted the design to reflect both more primitive Pred tech to reflect the centuries of time difference between Prey and the original movie, and to show that this is like "maybe a Predator from another hemisphere or something, and the style he goes with is just different." (paraphrased).

The Predator movies have always included weird Yautja cultural quirks without explaining them, which owns.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

mind the walrus posted:

It was the right call the redesign was tight. Way better than the attempts to have "Super Predators."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mind the walrus posted:

This is one of those useful object lessons for how to tell "racist" from "bigot."

A bigot is someone who actively hates a demographic more or less "because." You're being bigoted when you look at someone and go "I dislike their nose shape" or "I find their skin color unattractive."

A racist is not necessarily bigoted. They might have a lot of love for minorities. They "have a black friend" or maybe even dated/married someone outside of their race. But they also have a very clear idea about every race's "place." Maybe that "place" is even quite high, but if someone is shown to be outside of that "place" then "they're scamming the system" and "playing unfair." Nevermind that most of these racists get massive privilege and legs up, those don't count, those are just them being "good players" but that's tangential.

And because education and general literacy is rear end and butt all over the drat place, most people think the two terms are 100% interchangeable. When they're shown racism in movies, it's rarely casual racism, because casual racists are a huge audience. It's always a cartoon bigot. It's Alan Tudyk in 42 screaming the n-word. That's how schools teach it. That's what most people genuinely think racism looks like.

This imbecile probably does think in his heart of hearts "I don't actively hate women, Natives, or anyone that isn't like me [they're just not in their place and that's a problem for fairness]. Therefore I'm not racist, and anyone who calls me that is just presenting a smokescreen for their own sneaky agenda to take power over me, like I would if I were lying to someone's face."

And even if he doesn't, enough casual readers are dumb enough to think that so why not just carry it forward?

I'll extend this to sexism/rape culture, using an example I've brought up before but it fits nicely.

I just recently saw Dirty Harry for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dpJZW7mSA

"mmmm I think he's got a point :thunk:"

And yeah, you know what, fair. I bet that was the guy's intent. But you know what else you've just done, movie? You've telegraphed not only that "intent" is something worth shooting a potential perp over (which is a side argument), but that the definition of a rapist is a naked guy chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife. That's the picture you've put in the audience's head. And no small number of them will go home after the movie with their dates and have what I'm sure they believe is consensual sex.

As long as you can tell your audience that no the REAL bad guys are these cartoon caricatures, as long as you're not doing that, u rappin' cool

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm not sure you can entirely blame the education system when racism has been defined at least four contradictory ways that I can recall.

1. Racism is when you hate someone for their race.
2. Racism is active hate, bigotry is passive
3. Racism is passive, bigotry is active.
4. Racism is both active and passive, but only when there is institutional power behind it, otherwise it's just prejudice. Bigotry includes racism and the other anti-isms.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Data Graham posted:

I'll extend this to sexism/rape culture, using an example I've brought up before but it fits nicely.

I just recently saw Dirty Harry for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dpJZW7mSA

"mmmm I think he's got a point :thunk:"

And yeah, you know what, fair. I bet that was the guy's intent. But you know what else you've just done, movie? You've telegraphed not only that "intent" is something worth shooting a potential perp over (which is a side argument), but that the definition of a rapist is a naked guy chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife. That's the picture you've put in the audience's head. And no small number of them will go home after the movie with their dates and have what I'm sure they believe is consensual sex.

As long as you can tell your audience that no the REAL bad guys are these cartoon caricatures, as long as you're not doing that, u rappin' cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEK0Sbq4o8

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I didn't realize the Predator films were documentaries. Is that why dudes are upset that they're not "accurate representations?"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Shane Black film would make a great Predator parody with very limited editing.

It's already got "all the predators showing up this time are here with clear missions and presumably honor codes and poo poo but they have some leisure time to gorily murder random unarmed bystanders, as a treat."

Instead of having Sterling K. Brown murder himself so quickly and incidentally that you don't even notice he's gone til the next scene, they could lean on it!

Oh or what if half the cast was just walking jokes about various kinds of mental illness? Oh shoot, right.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I didn't realize the Predator films were documentaries. Is that why dudes are upset that they're not "accurate representations?"

My wife and I watch the X Files a lot and since we're both scientists we like to shout at all the terrible inaccuracies with scientific equipment, ecg readings, bloodspray, rates of decomposition, vegetation not matching the setting or season, etc. as we enjoy our 46 minutes of gov't cops chasing werewolves and shapeshifters.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Was that the predator movie where they were trying to capture an autistic child?

I liked the one with Topher Grace on the predator planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My wife and I watch the X Files a lot and since we're both scientists we like to shout at all the terrible inaccuracies with scientific equipment, ecg readings, bloodspray, rates of decomposition, vegetation not matching the setting or season, etc. as we enjoy our 46 minutes of gov't cops chasing werewolves and shapeshifters.

sometimes I cannot tell if Duchovny's delivery was supposed to sound tounge-in-cheek on the page or if he decided to say it that way on his own