Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
To me, H. John Benjamin will always be Dr. Katz's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darko posted:

Yeah, they just made it less obvious, but stroooooonggggllllyyyy hinted she is a lesbian by the standards of what they can get away with at that time, and he still obviously forces her to have sex "till she likes it."

It should be noted that in the book, the rape scene never happens and Bond pointedly doesn't ever rape a woman or seduce one within minutes of meeting her like Moore often did. The book version of Pussy Galore was a lesbian after being sexually assaulted, and in the last two pages she decides that she's finally met a man who's proven he isn't evil and she's ready to gently caress guys again. Ian Fleming was a guy who knew how to find the BDSM clubs and drag bars in every city he went to, read progressive literature on same-sex and interracial relationships when he was young, and was friends with openly gay people like Noel Coward (who, in one letter, made fun of him for using a young boy as his description of Honey Ryder's rear end and asked "What were you possibly thinking of, old chap?").

I think the reason Pussy makes such a sudden switch at the end is because Fleming wrote a book with 3 Bond Girls, two of whom are lesbians and only one is alive by the last chapter. He normally wrote a chapter at a time, so he probably just threw in some bullshit at the end to let Bond kiss the girl on the last page without having to edit all the previous chapters.

quote:

And then watch Catch Me If You Can which accurately illustrates how teens and young men of the time started idolizing James Bond after that movie. I think it might have actually caused a lot of issues.

This is actually his stated reason for writing The Spy Who Loved Me. Fleming didn't want Bond to be a person you looked up to. He was a violent man with a lot of trauma who drinks and smokes to excess and can never hold a steady relationship. So he wrote a book from the female perspective, in first person, that spends most of its page count talking about how hard life is for women in the sexist society of the 1950s and bringing in a police captain at the end who tells Viv that getting involved with guys like James Bond is dangerous because they'll just get you killed in their war with the other side.

Then the movies began idolizing Bond into a perfect sex god who can do anything, and even Daniel Craig's darker take is still full of glamour and product placement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I suddenly realised that one of the few things that could improve Angry Beavers' voice cast is John H Benjamin voicing Oxnard Montalvo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

This is fascinating

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/kinofabino/status/1544830302643707907?s=21&t=99MONiRHbp82LZuebSA6jw

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ernst Stavro Blohard

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1546543140642775040?s=21&t=Qq6GGTiHtiaw5H0AudSpoQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Just me or does he look a lot like Jack Black? Also that's a pretty good run.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I thought it wasn't in Dr. No

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

I thought it wasn't in Dr. No

It plays when Bond sits down at the baccarat table near the beginning.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

It's the opening credits music in Dr No.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sir Nose posted:

It's the opening credits music in Dr No.

Wellllll, there are technically three songs in the opening credits. Here's what I wrote about the opening credits to Dr. No when I did my "watch through" thread about 8 years ago.

quote:

Bond opening credit scenes are legendary, and the first opening is...well, really strange. There’s not really a “Bond song” so to speak, though the main theme that will become replayed in each movie makes it’s first appearance here. But during the credits there are actually three songs played, which I wasn’t expecting. The first is the previously mentioned main Bond theme, the second is an instrumental Calypso song, followed by a Calypso version of three blind mice? Why? I mean, I get what happens next, when we transition into three blind men, but it is so bizarre having seen the super sexed up opening credits of the Brosnan era to see the first Bond movie credits focus so heavily on three blind men in Jamaica.

Dr. No is weird in many ways. Wonderful, but weird.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. No feels very restrained and small scale and also it features a robot dragon

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Finally, a Bond villain who is foiled when he refuses to eat his vegetables and goes into a coma.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Watched Goldfinger last night. Solid movie, nice balance of kinda silly and serious. Got my hands on an HD transfer and it looked great, as do most movies of the era when put into HD. The golf game is great, couldn't imagine that making it into a spy thriller ever again. Another Bond movie where Bond and the Bad Guy both know exactly who the other guy is. So many good moments in the movie, the actual fight at Fort Knox is really good, Goldfingers escape is really evil and clever, and in the HD version you notice his shiny golden gun. Maybe my favorite villain.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It’s amazing to think that Auric Goldfinger was completely dubbed over but the off-kilter physical charisma that Gert Frobe plays him with really carries every second he’s on screen

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

All of the buttons on Bond's car and Goldfinger's equipment are completely unlabeled. When all the cliche mobsters are getting moved around, "what is this some kind of merry-go-round?, " it really seems like he might just be pushing buttons and dials in the hopes he gets the right ones.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
When Q says "pay attention, 007" when he's explaining the gadgets he means it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I didn't see his undamaged cock and balls (in Love Is The Devil, 1998) until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the man just likes to hang dong on camera

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Holy heck A View To A Kill is properly bad. Hard to think of much that works in the movie besides the intro song.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

numberoneposter posted:

Holy heck A View To A Kill is properly bad. Hard to think of much that works in the movie besides the intro song.
It's worth it for the teamup of James Bond and John Steed (in a fight against Big Ron from EastEnders), the Golden Gate fight is pretty thrilling in itself, never mind for a later Moore movie, and Walken and Grace Jones are great devouring the scenery and treating the whole thing like it's their movie. And the theme song, of course. But yeah, apart from that...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

View to a Kill is fun bad , whereas moonraker and octopussy are bad bad. For Your Eyes Only is the best Moore though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you watch View as a comedy, it totally works. Anytime the movie tries to convince you it's still a serious Bond at heart it utterly fails. The thing is, other Moores probably have more deliberate jokes, but they're bad; View has serious business horse racing and treats it straight-faced, which is much funnier than them trying to go "lol ain't that absurd"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

View to a Kill is fun bad , whereas moonraker and octopussy are bad bad. For Your Eyes Only is the best Moore though.

And ironically the one he hated the most because he was uncomfortable trying to do anything but campy Bond.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

If you watch View as a comedy, it totally works. Anytime the movie tries to convince you it's still a serious Bond at heart it utterly fails. The thing is, other Moores probably have more deliberate jokes, but they're bad; View has serious business horse racing and treats it straight-faced, which is much funnier than them trying to go "lol ain't that absurd"

Serious horse racing when the horse has a microchip that delivers a super steroid, you mean!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

A View to a Kill is mostly bad. But first, yeah, my favorite Bond song, easily. Second, I love the scene where it starts at the standard Bond villains around the conference table scene, and then when Walken sends the guy out of the room, he falls out of a freakin’ blimp, and I’m there, “Wait, we were on a blimp this whole time?! Did we know that? Did THEY know that?” It’s so great and hilarious.

And then, at the end, when Bond is on top of the Golden Gate Bridge, and Christopher god drat Walken is coming at him with an axe, I’m left thinking, “I mean, I don’t hate this.”

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

A View to a Kill is mostly bad. But first, yeah, my favorite Bond song, easily. Second, I love the scene where it starts at the standard Bond villains around the conference table scene, and then when Walken sends the guy out of the room, he falls out of a freakin’ blimp, and I’m there, “Wait, we were on a blimp this whole time?! Did we know that? Did THEY know that?” It’s so great and hilarious.
this part i liked

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it needed more scenes of race horse intrigue.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think it was fun bad at all. Most of the Moore movies already start creeping towards fun bad, but View To A Kill was a chore to watch. The Bond girl, the sexy geologist, is so obtuse she makes Agent Goodnight seem professional.

I would love to love Walken in the role but it just doesn't work for me.

The opening sequence with the skiing is pretty decent for stunt work, and so it jumping off The Eiffel Tower, but its not going to top The Spy Who Loved Me's insane ski base jump intro sequence.

Will watch Moonraker soon, like View To A Kill and a lot of the Moore movies I've only ever seen them once and it was on VHS.

And Moore is just too old. I only bring it up because Connery pulled it off in The Rock, as well as Never Say Never, as an elder special agent, but Moore is just out of place at this point.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 1, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The one thing I'll give Octopussy is his love interest is in the same Area Code as his age instead of being the age of his granddaughter.

Moonraker suffers from being imo the worst directed of all Bond films. It's plot is undercooked and the acting pretty bad, but the worst part is how tepid the direction and shot composition is. Nobody wants to go Rio after seeing it in this movie, the space sets look completely amateurish compared to it's contemporaries, Venice looks dull, the whole movie lacks any flair or panache. It's a movie made to cash in on the SciFi craze and it feels like it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

The one thing I'll give Octopussy is his love interest is in the same Area Code as his age instead of being the age of his granddaughter.

Moonraker suffers from being imo the worst directed of all Bond films. It's plot is undercooked and the acting pretty bad, but the worst part is how tepid the direction and shot composition is. Nobody wants to go Rio after seeing it in this movie, the space sets look completely amateurish compared to it's contemporaries, Venice looks dull, the whole movie lacks any flair or panache. It's a movie made to cash in on the SciFi craze and it feels like it.

Yeah, the whole movie is just so flat. Drax is flat, the shots are flat, the space battle is somehow worse than Thunderball's underwater battle (but at least they don't kill a shark in it), the setpieces are flat and boring, jaws is way more boring than he is in his last movie and his romance isn't funny and putting glasses on a hot woman doesn't mean anything, there's just nothing at all interesting about it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
The only good part of moonraker is the knife throwing coffin assassin and that's like 15 seconds of the film

The rest of the movie seems to have been produced entirely through a steady diet of barbiturates, why is everyone so loving sleepy and bored

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1556665232805740544

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
*This loser with the fake eyeball*: am I a joke to you

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Austin Powers really hosed the Bond franchise. So tough to go back and do this stuff after it was satirized that well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes. Very yes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mind-blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Apparently his name is Primo although I don't think it comes up in the film anywhere?