Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The fact that you're positive shows great restraint in building Vangerian Veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

+16 gold a month for being freshly feudalized sounds pretty good to me. There are two ways to increase the money you make; either get better holdings in your personal demesne, or get more vassals to pay you.

Not sure where in the map you are, but any of the holy sites have good buildings that boost your taxes and development, you have the mines scattered around Europe, Africa, and India, and you have places like Petra or Baghdad that have large bonuses to taxes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, your other option to grow your monthly income is to cut costs. Either get rid of some MaA, reduce your court level, or get rid of some court positions. Focusing on stewardship, and making sure your spouse had the manage domain focus will increase your income slightly. After that it gets more complicated, like getting hooks on vassals so you can modify their contracts.

Then there is just straight earning cash through wars like ransoming off prisoners, and getting gold per battle if you have the dynasty legacy, or battlefield looters culture tradition. Also golden obligations to get paid for hooks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One way that people seem to always forget is to modify vassal contracts. If most of your standing army are MAAs, you can raise their taxes while lowering their levy contribution (if you lower one while raising the other, it won't cause tyranny).

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Does anyone know what influences the name of titles characters have and have like, a list handy? I mean like how there's Emperor, Basileus, and Kaiser. Is it heritage, language, or court language?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Broken Cog posted:

One way that people seem to always forget is to modify vassal contracts. If most of your standing army are MAAs, you can raise their taxes while lowering their levy contribution (if you lower one while raising the other, it won't cause tyranny).

While true, this really doesn't apply to freshly feudalized realms, because all of your vassals will now be holding counties with likely no buildings at all, and an extra 10% of their already pathetic incomes won't go very far.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PittTheElder posted:

While true, this really doesn't apply to freshly feudalized realms, because all of your vassals will now be holding counties with likely no buildings at all, and an extra 10% of their already pathetic incomes won't go very far.

Eh, most vassals actually build stuff during the tribal phase now, which means that unless you're really speedrunning feudalizing, most of them should have 3-4 buildings, at least in their main holding. All of which get converted to feudal buildings when you reform.

Definitely more noticeable later on though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mirthless posted:

l'm not kidding here tho like I will disinherit 17 children if it means I can play the triple trait giant albino diligent sadist

This is the best quote of the thread.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Does anyone know what influences the name of titles characters have and have like, a list handy? I mean like how there's Emperor, Basileus, and Kaiser. Is it heritage, language, or court language?

There used to be one on the CK wiki but it’s gone now. Culture and religion influence it, mostly character culture I think. I don’t think a German ruler of Bosnia or Croatia would call themselves Ban, but I’m not sure.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I finally succeeded in ending the Iberian conflict via dominance. My out-of-control Kingdom of Valencia just kept growing, so I noticed that the Kingdom of Andalusia had been shrunken down to just 5 counties. Did a little title juggling and revocation, grabbed Seville for myself and changed my primary title to Andalusia and moved the capitol to Seville from Barcelona where it had been ever since Haesteinn landed in the peninsula proper in the 870s :911: It took another 50 plus years to convert the 5 counties, but it worked! Got the Dominance and the Holiday in Iberia cheevos, along with the 'convert all of Iberia to Mozarabism" one. By the time I finally got it I'd bred my dynasty into super-men, and was killing time by playing around trying to worm my dynasty into control of the great kingdoms of Europe + the Byzantines. If I play another 30 years I'll have a Haesteinn king ruling Oreleans (France never took off), Germany, Bavaria, and most importantly an Andaluso-Catalan-Norse Mozarabic Haesteinn Emperor of the Byzantine Empire.

I wonder what I should go for next? Maybe Land of the Rus + Vladimir's Second choice.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

How are u posted:

I wonder what I should go for next? Maybe Land of the Rus + Vladimir's Second choice.

I'm doing that one now, and be aware that the "Region of Russia" for Vladimir's Second Choice is slightly bigger than the actual Russian empire title. You also need one kingdom in the south-western corner.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 8, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They are making some really good changes to Populist revolts coming in the next big update.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/lets-talk-populist-factions.1537785/?prdxDevPosts=1

There are two hugely positive changes that stand out to me. The first is that if you are a vassal to an AI, and your land is involved in the revolt, your AI liege will always go to war instead of just accepting the demands and giving away your land. The second one is that you'll get a popup to join, either with your liege against the revolt, or there is an option to convert culture/religion, and join the rebels.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
That's a pretty great change (certainly will make expansion as a vassal easier). I am slightly worried that if an unpopular liege gets revolted against, there'll be large swaths of spontaneous culture conversion as vassals from all over the realm join in.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

What do I do with this dumbass nephew to whom I gave a literal Kingdom and couldn't keep his dick in his pants? Should I revoke his title and take the Kingdom back? Ransom him for the measly 73 gold that he has?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I always love revoking kingdom titles from people. One of my favorite “gently caress you” things to do, although it’s usually done to rebels I beat.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Samadhi posted:

What do I do with this dumbass nephew to whom I gave a literal Kingdom and couldn't keep his dick in his pants? Should I revoke his title and take the Kingdom back? Ransom him for the measly 73 gold that he has?

He's of your dynasty and a Strong Genius. Release him and hope he cucks more people. Worst case scenario he produces some random bastards you can legitimize/land later.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Release him for a Hook. He has good traits so you want to keep him, and a Hook on a vassal king can be useful, for election shenanigans or contract modification.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Samadhi posted:

One of those times when having Greek culture would really come in handy.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

trapped mouse posted:

One of those times when having Greek culture would really come in handy.

What does the Greek culture allow that would be useful here? I have never done a Greek playthrough

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Samadhi posted:

What does the Greek culture allow that would be useful here? I have never done a Greek playthrough

snip snip :sever: the balls

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Samadhi posted:

Castration, which anyone can do now with the "Court Eunuchs" tradition. (The Chief Eunuch position remains ahistorical and kind of useless though, you really should get a realm tax/development bonus at the cost of vassal opinion).

There's so many "Recruit X" decisions now, it's kind of amazing you can't recruit mid/high intrigue eunuchs (presumably from a pre-existing pool if your realm uses them for administration). If you make them yourself they hate you for pretty obvious reasons.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 10, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Remember when CK2 started running unusually slowly because every Greek character in-game was spending literally every second checking for people to castrate?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Remember when CK2 started running unusually slowly because every Greek character in-game was spending literally every second checking for people to castrate?

Top 10 Paradox dev diary content for sure. As a Mac player, Ck3 runs so much smoother than 2 it's insane. Speed 5 is actually too fast sometimes, a thought I've never had in any other Paradox game

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Castration, which anyone can do now with the "Court Eunuchs" tradition. (The Chief Eunuch position remains ahistorical and kind of useless though, you really should get a realm tax/development bonus at the cost of vassal opinion).

There's so many "Recruit X" decisions now, it's kind of amazing you can't recruit mid/high intrigue eunuchs (presumably from a pre-existing pool if your realm uses them for administration). If you make them yourself they hate you for pretty obvious reasons.

Yeah they really didn't seem to put even the slightest bit of effort into researching why Eunuchs were a thing in the Roman Empire, it's very dissapointing.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

FreudianSlippers posted:

What else do you expect from a game where the main meta is marrying your sister?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I finally got it!

(The silver lining of having to wait so drat long for empire is that I get to have the King of Fashion as my primary)
...oh my god, and opening chrome as a second browser to make imgur work ate so much ram that CK crashed, I've lost it. Mother fucker.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It must've been hard having a pet in the middle ages, what with every single spouse being allergic for some drat reason.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

binge crotching posted:

They are making some really good changes to Populist revolts coming in the next big update.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/lets-talk-populist-factions.1537785/?prdxDevPosts=1

There are two hugely positive changes that stand out to me. The first is that if you are a vassal to an AI, and your land is involved in the revolt, your AI liege will always go to war instead of just accepting the demands and giving away your land. The second one is that you'll get a popup to join, either with your liege against the revolt, or there is an option to convert culture/religion, and join the rebels.

This is actually huge. The way it is now makes playing as a vassal impossible to enjoy. Definitely looking forward to this!!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My quest to reform Christianity has hit a setback. I thought I had enough Piety banked up to do it, but all the changes I wanted to make spiked the cost until it turned out that no, I didn't, and also I needed one more holy site to be able to name myself the head of the faith, and even though Cologne is close to my borders (I already have Canterbury), buying the claims for it and the surrounding territory also cost piety. So I sent my guy on pilgrimmage to get more, whereupon he promptly got sick and died. Mmmmmmmaybe not the smartest call to send a 64 year old man to Jerusalem.

My new guy is not half the messiah his dad was, but whatever. I'm going to refrain from using the Pope as a piggy bank and store up piety so that after I put down the fairly inevitable revolt he's facing and then take Cologne, I'll hopefully only be a few languages away from having enough.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Broken Cog posted:

It must've been hard having a pet in the middle ages, what with every single spouse being allergic for some drat reason.

Let them sneeze, I'm never letting my little ball of floof go! :colbert:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

I think I read somewhere that there’s a glitch. That the game is checking like every month or year if your spouse is allergic, so even if the chances are low, like 5% (I have no clue what % actually is), well if the game does a check enough times, eventually they’ll come up allergic.

I say, keep the dog, and divorce the wife! It’s not that unrealistic.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It's not even a big malus to health or opinion. If you're romancing/seducing your wife, it's not even going to register.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Incidentally, I'm not sure I'm a fan of being able to romance/seduce your wife. In CK2, falling in love with your wife was a rare and welcome event. In CK3, it's a 95% chance of success scheme, it gets you a guaranteed pregnancy through the "lay with" event, and such a huge fertility boost that even Chaste characters can have more than half a dozen kids. It's a no downside no-brainer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CapnAndy posted:

Incidentally, I'm not sure I'm a fan of being able to romance/seduce your wife. In CK2, falling in love with your wife was a rare and welcome event. In CK3, it's a 95% chance of success scheme, it gets you a guaranteed pregnancy through the "lay with" event, and such a huge fertility boost that even Chaste characters can have more than half a dozen kids. It's a no downside no-brainer.

You could actually do the exact same thing with the seduction focus in CK2, it's just open for everyone now.
Oh, and romance/soulmates wasn't a thing.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Serephina posted:

I finally got it!

(The silver lining of having to wait so drat long for empire is that I get to have the King of Fashion as my primary)
...oh my god, and opening chrome as a second browser to make imgur work ate so much ram that CK crashed, I've lost it. Mother fucker.

I just got North Sea Empire too.

I did some planning and had some luck with my kids leading up to this guy. So this character's dad I had betrothed to someone twenty years older, so by the time he turned 16, his wife was already in her late 30s. By the time I took over, they had one daughter, and she was almost out of child bearing years. I kept it with the one daughter for a long time until I found a concubine with good traits. Then I romanced her, and luckily she popped out one son as I was in my mid-60s. Right after that, I get the 1 year to live notification and then bam, this guy takes over at like 9 months old.

At that point, I already held the Kingdoms of England and Norway, and I was 2/3 of my way to Denmark. So by the time this guy is 5 he has all three kingdoms and all the counties he needs. Then it just becomes a waiting game and trying not to get murdered.

Now I'm just trying to get that witch coven. I almost formed it, but then my heir drowned at 15, and now I'm waiting for my next son to come of age.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

You could actually do the exact same thing with the seduction focus in CK2, it's just open for everyone now.
Oh, and romance/soulmates wasn't a thing.
I'd argue there's a gigantic difference between only having access to a thing if you specifically focused on it and everyone being able to do it all the time at no risk and miniscule odds of failure. And romance/soulmates wasn't a thing, but there was an event that could fire that had you and your wife falling in love, that's what I was referring to.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

CapnAndy posted:

not sure I'm a fan of being able to romance/seduce your wife

This thread makes the best contextless quotes

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CapnAndy posted:

I'd argue there's a gigantic difference between only having access to a thing if you specifically focused on it and everyone being able to do it all the time at no risk and miniscule odds of failure. And romance/soulmates wasn't a thing, but there was an event that could fire that had you and your wife falling in love, that's what I was referring to.

Honestly, the difference isn't that big, more of a convenience for the player, really. In CK2 you could just pop over to seduction focus to use the plot, and then pop back to whatever you wanted to focus on afterwards, and you wouldn't really lose much other than the 5 years spent with that focus (and seduction had +attraction and +fert bonuses IIRC, so if you wanted kids it was good regardless). Remember, there were no skill trees in CK2, so all you got from focuses were the random stats and specific events.
Now, the AI couldn't really abuse the mechanic this way, but well, they seem to use the seduce/romance plots sparingly compared to CK2. At it's worst, the seduce spam in CK2 was insane.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Speaking of all this, what are the reasons why seduce and romance can have wildly different odds of succeeding. I’ve had one be 0% while the other was like 90%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

'Seduce' is 'make them want to have sex with me'. 'Romance' is 'make them fall in love with me'.