Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The seamless updates just take a long time to install, they have since 12 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think I've never had any issues with Anker products. Batteries, chargers, cables, speakers, earbuds. I'm a big fan.

I've had quite a few issues, especially with headphones, though their US support is quick to send out a replacement product.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've also got a bunch of Anker stuff and it's all been good. From chargers to earbuds to flashlights. Hell, I have an Anker robovac but have been lazy and not set it up since getting it at the holidays, but it's well reviewed. :shrug:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I have been meaning to complain about the seemingly insurmountable advance in boner pill text spam filter evasion technology over the last month or so but this is the funniest spam text I have ever seen, no contest, glad it got through

Only registered members can see post attachments!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The only part that's unbelievable is Tiger being cheap. He paid $100 million to bang a few strippers, I'm sure he tips well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I have been meaning to complain about the seemingly insurmountable advance in boner pill text spam filter evasion technology over the last month or so but this is the funniest spam text I have ever seen, no contest, glad it got through

I dunno what phone you're on but whatever spam filtering pixel has in stock messages app is really good, I'm shocked how few spam texts get through, like 1 every couple months lol

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

sourdough posted:

I dunno what phone you're on but whatever spam filtering pixel has in stock messages app is really good, I'm shocked how few spam texts get through, like 1 every couple months lol
Pixel 5a, fully updated, Google Fi. I get several that get through the filter every day pretty much. I usually report them until I get tired of it, doesn't seem to help. No idea what kind of machine learning bullshit they're trying to do, I could write a few regexes that would cover half of them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sourdough posted:

Mine is super good, too - every once in a while I'll get a notification like I got a text, but then check my phone and there is nothing there, because it silently moved it over to the spam folder.

The one weird thing that happens is on those rare occasions I use my Mom's car for something, when my Pixel 6 connects to the Nissan control center then I will suddenly get a flood of notifications about all the spam texts I'd received since the last time Bluetooth connected to her car. I have no idea why her car makes my phone freak out and alert me to old spam texts, but it's happened almost every time I've used her car. After the first time I connect it mellows out and stops for as long as I'm using her car frequently, but then weeks and months go by between pairings and the next time the whole process repeats - flood of notices about messages I normally am completely unaware of.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I have the strangest problem with my 4a 5g. The speakerphone volume is terribly quiet on calls, but the speakers work fine and get plenty loud otherwise. Persists through a factory reset!

Googling around produces nothing particularly useful, has this happened to anyone itt?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Live Translate on my P6 used to work, would detect another language and pop up a floating dialogue box asking if I want it translated. It no longer does this and I don't know why, and I double checked to confirm that it's still enabled in the settings. :shrug:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have the strangest problem with my 4a 5g. The speakerphone volume is terribly quiet on calls, but the speakers work fine and get plenty loud otherwise. Persists through a factory reset!

Googling around produces nothing particularly useful, has this happened to anyone itt?

gently caress I've run into this bug and been super annoyed bit it. I'm pretty sure it's just a core android thing but I can't remember the exact cause. I want to say it's bluetooth related, and if you shut bluetooth off all of a sudden you can actually adjust speakerphone volume. Something like that, try that and come back if that's not it.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Took a while to install, but I got the latest beta of Android 13 up on my P6A. The only difference I can tell at first glance is more Material You options and opening the app tray feels faster. The fingerprint sensor seems to be behaving exactly the same as before, so, fine but definitely imperfectly. I wonder if the 6 and 6 Pro folks are just getting the P6A experience now on the beta where it functions better.

I'm probably going to disable the fingerprint reader for now or set up smart lock because it's really frustrating trying and failing to unlock multiple times in a row for no reason while you're in a busy store trying to use GPay or just quickly needing to take a picture and fail fail fail fail oops locked out now. I swear it actually gets worse the more it supposedly "learns".

Otherwise the phone is indeed pretty nice and A13 seems nice too.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

K8.0 posted:

gently caress I've run into this bug and been super annoyed bit it. I'm pretty sure it's just a core android thing but I can't remember the exact cause. I want to say it's bluetooth related, and if you shut bluetooth off all of a sudden you can actually adjust speakerphone volume. Something like that, try that and come back if that's not it.

Nope, tried turning bluetooth off and disabled absolute volume, no dice :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

lol ffs

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

I got this pop up this morning.

My prepaid plan renewed last night. Data and texting are fine. It's too early for me to try a phone call. I can't swipe the message away. It is still there after a reboot.

:shrug:

Everything was fine except Gmail wasn't checking for emails in the background. Kept silencing the notification. It went away that evening.

:shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't done some phone shenanigans in awhile since I've mainly been using the Pixel 6 Pro (and honestly it's the longest stretch I've used a Pixel since the 2xl.)

The Zenfone 9 is on the horizon, but no release date yet for that.

What I did discover is that OnePlus lined up several bonuses and one thing led to another and I have a 10t ordered.

First, they were offering an additional $50 credit on the OnePlus 9 Pro as trade which made the trade offer equivalent to private sale of the device (less shipping and marketplace fees).

Second, they were offering the 16gb/256gb model for the same $649 price as the 8/128 model when you preorder.

Third, I was able to eek out another $50 in purchase credit by linking my current OnePlus phone in the OnePlus store app.

So, all told I'm able to trade the OP9P for the 10T for $150.

Still debated on whether or not to do that since the 10T is a downgrade in a few ways. The camera system isn't as strong, no wireless charging, no slider, FHD screen. But one the pro side, it gets a longer update commitment, 120w charging, flat screen, SD 8+ Gen 1 with extensive cooling instead of the overheating 888.

The smart move would be for me to sell it NIB and cash out of the OnePlus ecosystem altogether, but it might be nice having a diversion of something different until the Pixel 7/7 Pro launches. We'll see what I do when it arrives on September 6th.

I will say, just playing with my OP9P lately, is that the size is just about perfect. It's only a tiny bit smaller than the P6P, but it makes all the different and makes it a much more comfortable phone to hold. I'm really leaning towards the Pixel 7 rather than the 7 Pro this time around for that reason (and the flat glass). I don't necessarily like forgoing the telephoto, but I haven't used it a ton either.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nope, tried turning bluetooth off and disabled absolute volume, no dice :(

I want to say what is happening is that you're adjusting a different volume. Try making a test call and like turning the volume down, turning speakerphone on, turning the volume up, and then speakerphone off. If it's the same issue I had, you'll wind up with loud non-speaker phone volume because that's the volume you were always adjusting. I'm still trying to remember what the fix/workaround was.

e - also, maybe try cleaning the bottom speaker? I wonder if it's covered in crud and that's the problem. I think I've seen that issue before.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Ech, turns out the loudspeaker is intermittent, looks like a hardware thing.

Also, I can't find a replacement part anywhere :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yesterday I noticed my P6A was having trouble unlocking with my right thumb so I deleted those prints and redid them, but it took a long time for the enrollment to read the new entries.

Today my phone has stopped reading my right thumb at all, while my left unlocks it first try every time. That's, uh, weird.

I am on A13 beta, though. May just be some bug.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Yesterday I noticed my P6A was having trouble unlocking with my right thumb so I deleted those prints and redid them, but it took a long time for the enrollment to read the new entries.

Today my phone has stopped reading my right thumb at all, while my left unlocks it first try every time. That's, uh, weird.

I am on A13 beta, though. May just be some bug.

What about other fingers? Maybe your right thumb is just beat up enough to not get a solid read. You could also do multiple entries of it just to get around that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Who has two thumbs and can't unlock their phone? THIS GUY

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

cage-free egghead posted:

What about other fingers? Maybe your right thumb is just beat up enough to not get a solid read. You could also do multiple entries of it just to get around that.

I had two entries of both thumbs and nothing changed between it working fine one day and then not working the next. It just turned lovely for no reason.

I was able to get it enrolled twice again when it first showed problems two nights ago, but it's just not reading it at all as of last night. Have power cycled the phone too.

Again, I am on the A13 beta, so, it very well could just be a bug.

Alternatively, The Android Thread - Your Thumbs Are Wrong

e: I deleted my two right prints for the second time and adding them back was still super fucky-- it did not want to enroll them. I almost wonder if Google tightened the parameters of the sensor after the prerelease reports of people unlocking their phones with unregistered prints started hitting (I never saw that but on A12).

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 7, 2022

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

one thing led to another and I have a 10t ordered.

Incessant Excess posted:

I give it 6 months.

grats you beat the estimate!!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I installed an update on my OnePlus 8 Pro a few days ago and it randomly reorganized my home screen icons. What the gently caress, OnePlus.

At least this update fixed a major bug from the last update that killed Gmail sync due to overly aggressive battery optimization that I couldn't turn off.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is there a way to create a multi-stop route in google maps, that automatically jumps to the next stop once you've driven past a previous one?

Like I'm trying to create scenic routes, but the app doesn't jump to the next stop until I interact with the phone. And I've usually got it somewhere in my pocket while listening to directions on my headphone.

Another thing I tried is arranging a route in Google Maps by dragging around those points, but when I send it to my phone, it just takes the shortest route, ignoring all my elaborate planning.

Idk maybe I just need a different app.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I thought the pixel 6a had a perfectly adequate fingerprint reader but then i tried out an iPhone se

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, but it's a shame about *gestures broadly at the rest of the device.*

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So uBreakiFix replaced the board on my s21 ultra, and it still was doing the reset loop. So.
I have to ship it off to Samsung.

So, when I get this thing back I'm probably gonna sell it, if there's a good replacement available right now...

Any recommendations for new phones?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Bananana posted:

So uBreakiFix replaced the board on my s21 ultra, and it still was doing the reset loop. So.
I have to ship it off to Samsung.

So, when I get this thing back I'm probably gonna sell it, if there's a good replacement available right now...

Any recommendations for new phones?

Bruh do you even lift see the thread title? What's your budget, size preference, degree of :spergin:?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

busalover posted:

Is there a way to create a multi-stop route in google maps, that automatically jumps to the next stop once you've driven past a previous one?

Like I'm trying to create scenic routes, but the app doesn't jump to the next stop until I interact with the phone. And I've usually got it somewhere in my pocket while listening to directions on my headphone.

Another thing I tried is arranging a route in Google Maps by dragging around those points, but when I send it to my phone, it just takes the shortest route, ignoring all my elaborate planning.

Idk maybe I just need a different app.

Google maps should hop to the next stop when you pass the previous one. It doesn't when you don't hit the actual coordinates.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

The fingerprint reader on the 6a works like 80% ok-ish when your hands are clean, dry and you're indoors. Still fails occasionally.

If you're outdoors in the sun or a really bright room or recently touched basically anything at all it basically becomes useless. Walking? Forget it. In line at a register? Nope. Fails constantly.

And I swear the more it "learns" your registered fingerprints the worse it gets over time.

But I guess it's just user error if I am to believe all the non-6a havers telling me I am just doing something wrong. <insert useless trick>

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm glad I'm waiting for the 7.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For what it's worth compared to my old Pixel 6 my wife's 6a is noticeably faster and more consistent.

It's still not great though and something like older iPhones are significantly faster.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bruh do you even lift see the thread title? What's your budget, size preference, degree of :spergin:?

Eh, I want to stay in the android sphere, and I already had posts in here about the situation, so I figured I'd ask here.

As far as budget goes, I'd like to stay at $1k or less
Size = smaller the better. I'm currently back on my S10, while my S21 goes to hospital, and one of the things I like is how much smaller the s10 is.
I jabe no real other technical specifications, other than the phone be fast, have strong radio(?) and bugs sorted out. Part of the reason I bought the s21 in spring instead of waiting one more month for the 22. But it turns out I'm stupid and wrong, so lol.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Never had ambient light level affect my ability to unlock my Pixel 6 Pro.

I can't unlock my S22 Ultra for about an hour after washing my hands.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Bananana posted:

Eh, I want to stay in the android sphere, and I already had posts in here about the situation, so I figured I'd ask here.

As far as budget goes, I'd like to stay at $1k or less
Size = smaller the better. I'm currently back on my S10, while my S21 goes to hospital, and one of the things I like is how much smaller the s10 is.
I jabe no real other technical specifications, other than the phone be fast, have strong radio(?) and bugs sorted out. Part of the reason I bought the s21 in spring instead of waiting one more month for the 22. But it turns out I'm stupid and wrong, so lol.

Is the Pixel 5 an option for you? I'll get shot down over this because it's nearly 2 years old but that thing was a lovely size, performed well, had a nice 90Hz screen, a good camera and exceptional battery life.

What about the Pixel 6, or see what the 7 holds?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

owls or something posted:

The fingerprint reader on the 6a works like 80% ok-ish when your hands are clean, dry and you're indoors. Still fails occasionally.

If you're outdoors in the sun or a really bright room or recently touched basically anything at all it basically becomes useless. Walking? Forget it. In line at a register? Nope. Fails constantly.

And I swear the more it "learns" your registered fingerprints the worse it gets over time.

But I guess it's just user error if I am to believe all the non-6a havers telling me I am just doing something wrong. <insert useless trick>

moving from the 4a to this has made using google pay enough of a hassle that I've gone back to using my debit card more often

e: i actually wish i hadn't done the trade in and just waited for something different. zero noticeable advantages gained for me so far

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The in-screen fingerprint reader is something that baffles me. No advantage compared to much disadvantage. If the Pixel 6 had the rear fingerprint reader of the 5, it would be my favourite phone ever.

There's always something that prevents the Pixel being a slam dunk.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the Pixel 5 an option for you? I'll get shot down over this because it's nearly 2 years old but that thing was a lovely size, performed well, had a nice 90Hz screen, a good camera and exceptional battery life.

Buying a 1-2 year old flagship is arguably the best price to performance ratio you'll get. I'll always advocate people go that route before dumping $900 on a phone on a 36 month finance plan. Especially with so many OEMs having shaky records with defects on brand new devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The in-screen fingerprint reader is something that baffles me. No advantage compared to much disadvantage. If the Pixel 6 had the rear fingerprint reader of the 5, it would be my favourite phone ever.

There's always something that prevents the Pixel being a slam dunk.

I genuinely don't mind the in-screen reader on the Pixel 6 Pro. Works just fine, is very fast, and no issue. That said however, the back sensor is still more natural to me and it just doesn't make sense to me why it's gone and I wish they'd bring it back.