Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I complained a bit earlier about lame centrists co-opting Dark Brandon, but you know, leftists did kind of hand it gift wrapped to them. It’s kind of like Hillary making Trump sound cool with “Dangerous Donald,” or Biden saying “These new Republicans aren’t like my reasonable ol’ buddies Mitch McConnell and Storm Thurmond, they’re… Ultra MAGA!” Except they did that without the ironic above-it-all air that lefty shitposters put on.

Not always easy, but you must kill the (meme) cop in your head.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Dr Who is generally arse from a bum and Chibnall's stuff is particularly arse, but I did like how the Predatoresque guy who portrayed himself as a proud hunter turned out to be a craven weenie whose grand quarry was an unarmed and oblivious builder from a species centuries behind his own. Because that'd the kind of poo poo an 'honourable' hunter culture would quickly descend into IRL.

It literally has IRL. Look at all the rootin tootin proud hunters goin' out and baggin' theyselves a deer just like the pioneers did, from the back of a hummvee, with sniper rifles that could drill a hole in concrete and scopes that could spot a deer on the surface of the moon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm sure there's a reasonable middle ground, like the rednecks that spear hunt wild boar from helicopters.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My wife and I watch the X Files a lot and since we're both scientists we like to shout at all the terrible inaccuracies with scientific equipment, ecg readings, bloodspray, rates of decomposition, vegetation not matching the setting or season, etc. as we enjoy our 46 minutes of gov't cops chasing werewolves and shapeshifters.
I was working on production & post-production gear when that show was on, and I *loved* all the lab scenes that were just the 'engine room' of whatever studio they were shooting in. All video, sound, and film gear.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Dr Christmas posted:

I complained a bit earlier about lame centrists co-opting Dark Brandon, but you know, leftists did kind of hand it gift wrapped to them. It’s kind of like Hillary making Trump sound cool with “Dangerous Donald,” or Biden saying “These new Republicans aren’t like my reasonable ol’ buddies Mitch McConnell and Storm Thurmond, they’re… Ultra MAGA!” Except they did that without the ironic above-it-all air that lefty shitposters put on.

Should’ve gone with “Dipshit Donny” but decorum wouldn’t allow it. It’s also pathetic how they always make a grand show of it, like they’re unveiling their masterpiece of a rhetorical killshot

Biden already had a meme persona in the Onion’s Diamond Joe, and instead of capitalizing on it he just remained one of the most boring centrists on the planet

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

This is stored in the "phrases that will leap into your mind at random" part of the brain.

There's a reason I compared it to the Time Cube. Every so often I'll be doing whatever, and my brain will just randomly go "Hey, the Time Cube is a thing that some guy thinks is thought was real." And I'll go "gently caress off, brain."

e: I just learned and/or remembered that the Time Cube guy is dead :smith:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Was that the predator movie where they were trying to capture an autistic child?

I liked the one with Topher Grace on the predator planet.

The Predator has super genius autistic kid. Predators has predators re creating "The Most dangerous Game".

Prey for me is probably the second best Predator film depending how I feel about Predators on a given day. It's easy to see if some idiot hasn't watched the movie and just complains about some girl kicking the Predator's arse as said girl nearly dies about 4 times before the predator shows up, has to outrun the predator several times and finally has to beat the predator by setting traps because she knows she is seriously out of her league going up against the predator

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Predator was funny to me because I'm autistic and no Predator would ever want to assimilate my wimpy rear end

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if your not really good at computers are you even autistic

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My nephew is high functioning and I used to make him really mad by saying "pokey mans" what I'm saying is I'm willing to lend the Predators this technology for one of those cool throwing discs I can immediately kill myself with.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If a movie doesn't have the bad guy getting hit by a log I don't want to watch it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Does Predators hold up? I remember enjoying it in theaters but I haven't seen it since.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

My nephew is high functioning and I used to make him really mad by saying "pokey mans" what I'm saying is I'm willing to lend the Predators this technology for one of those cool throwing discs I can immediately kill myself with.

This is the true sign that we're all careening horrifyingly closer to inevitable death: going from the child who got mad whenever adults went "pokey man" to being an adult who says "pokey man" just to annoy children with it oneself.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

grittyreboot posted:

Does Predators hold up? I remember enjoying it in theaters but I haven't seen it since.

Audience reviews are mixed. I liked it, except for the reveal that there's like a racial hierarchy among predators or something. It could have been left as a caste system but they had to make the big bad guy extra-bigass.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Gee whiz, I wonder what that would be like. https://twitter.com/JudiciaryGOP/status/1556791214875328515?t=eVrV_jzy4kdkF-NfNWdRCA&s=09

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Aug 9, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Turns out a lot of people will in fact die mad about women and non-white people appearing in their nerd media.

Could they please hurry it up then?

CelticPredator posted:

Arnold killed the predator with a tree

The Russians used a pencil. :smuggo:

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Aug 9, 2022

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I wasn't going to watch Prey but decided to because of that tweet and loved it!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

*sprays bullets blindly into jungle while screaming*
*gives up, cuts own chest with a knife, and stands on a log, unmoving*
*gets ganked, remembered as a highly skilled badass with years of experience*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr Christmas posted:

Why are you generating content for this thread inside the thread?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

the predators presenting Danny Glover a trophy for killing one of their kind: "this is for being strong, not for using your brains. we only value brute strength. we hate traps, stealth, cunning, and especially combining the weapons and hubris of your enemies to overcome them in asynchronous warfare.

anyway we're off to jettison a singular warrior on an unfamiliar planet to work through its species like an mk tournament, using only his advanced weaponry, armour, thermal vision and stealth cloak"

A Predator has literally been in a Mortal Kombat game!

A lot about Predator makes sense when you realise they are very specifically presented as hunters; their laser cannons, self-destruct nukes and cloaking devices are their idea of 'playing fair' like Bubba with a rifle, camo and lures and whatnot. Predator 1 is a big game hunter who takes on a wolfpack, Predator 2 is a turkey shoot that provokes a bear.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/SpokespersonCHN/status/1556285939429023744

https://twitter.com/chenchenzh/status/1556334529668947968?s=21&t=OWh7lN0XLR_vhkr01UCAPQ

https://twitter.com/VincentL0r/status/1556522161086484481?s=20&t=O37UY-2NTMc4hKpl4ptVEw

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So it turns out the worst stray pubic hairs of the internet weren't quite done being horribly racist about Prey:

https://twitter.com/CocoaFox023/status/1556734166657822720

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1556831655343468546

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t know it was a slur. But I haven’t used or heard it since I was in like 1st grade.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I didn’t know it was a slur. But I haven’t used or heard it since I was in like 1st grade.

It's definitely one of those "words you don't ever use anymore, especially in a allegedly professional context". Something that if someone dropped it in a sentence casually you'd probably feel the urge to stop talking to them as quickly as possible.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I remember it being used in those books of dad jokes written in the 70s so it being a slur checks out tbh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's a slur , but an archaic one, like calling a mixed race person a "quadroon."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Skwirl posted:

It's a slur , but an archaic one, like calling a mixed race person a "quadroon."

Still fighting words though. If you call your native friend's mom a squaw expect that to go poorly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Still fighting words though. If you call your native friend's mom a squaw expect that to go poorly.

Absolutely, just it's not in common use. Even someone trying to intentionally say a slur against a native would probably go to a lot of others before they went there.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Like, even in the source they link as "its historical usage", it says "In researching its meaning, s-word is either offensive or means a female Indian woman.".

Let's see here.

It is a word that means a woman (!) of a certain race (!!) and came about during 16th century colonialism (!!!).

Even if the "original" usage wasn't derogatory, the time it took for a derogatory meaning to become widespread and probably majority would be, oh, a week? maybe two?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Skwirl posted:

Absolutely, just it's not in common use. Even someone trying to intentionally say a slur against a native would probably go to a lot of others before they went there.

I think you're probably right. I bet it's regional though. I bet it is still in rotation in areas with a visible native presence. Small towns near the rez and whatnot.

My grandma was Cree and it was used against her in northern Alberta less than 40 years ago. Not by educated erudite people, but it was used. I'm visibly white so I've never gotten it, and I'm not close enough to my visibly Cree cousins to call them up and ask "hey what slurs are you getting these days?" LOL.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/acony_belle/status/1556891015809601541?s=20&t=ne0HBuu-lono-6DS60r-yw

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Skwirl posted:

Honestly, the fact that it's not in common use makes it worse. I admit I'm not American so I've never been in a place to hear this used, but... well, I've never heard it.

They specifically sought out and revived a slur just to use it. They might've actually had to RESEARCH that one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If your last exposure to Native American culture was Disney's Peter Pan (1927) then you might very well think it was just a relevant word.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, the fact that it's not in common use makes it worse. I admit I'm not American so I've never been in a place to hear this used, but... well, I've never heard it.

They specifically sought out and revived a slur just to use it. They might've actually had to RESEARCH that one.

To be fair, the extent of their research could have just been remembering the super racist scene in Disney's Peter Pan

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I didn't like Prey because it was boring. All Predator films are bad except the first one. The second one is bad but also over the top hilarious in places so it's actually good.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Oh poo poo, oh no. Oh God. Everyone go and check on your evidence safes and crime compounds, we're not safe.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
"if they can investigate a person who has committed fraud and possibly treason for fraud and treason, imagine what they can do to you".

Somehow this is not what worries me about US law enforcement.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I think “squaw” is an Algonquian word so using it as a word for “woman” is poo poo especially if you use it in conjunction with a native who isn’t Algonquin. You don’t go around Europe calling everyone “Fraulein”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

hawowanlawow posted:

sometimes I cannot tell if Duchovny's delivery was supposed to sound tounge-in-cheek on the page or if he decided to say it that way on his own

It depends on the episode, frankly.