Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I almost quit the game grinding THM to 26 for swiftcast in ARR, it was miserable lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firebert posted:

I almost quit the game grinding THM to 26 for swiftcast in ARR, it was miserable lol

boy, let me tell you about the loving nightmare of grinding out B4B back in the day

Fenix Alheron
Oct 21, 2010
Is it time to post glam shots yet? it's always time to post glam shots

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Warmachine posted:

Is Y'sayle in the 'hot lady' or 'monster fucker' category because of her transformation? Also don't forget the guard captain in ShB. She's the poster-child for Viera/Viis in that expansion. Pay no attention to the fact that I can't recall her name right now.

Ysayle is firmly in the hot lady camp, even her transformation is just a hot lady with ice-blue skin. At least Garuda had the decency to have weird bird feet and hands.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Warmachine posted:

She's never living that down.

We have the body count for it.

Is Y'sayle in the 'hot lady' or 'monster fucker' category because of her transformation? Also don't forget the guard captain in ShB. She's the poster-child for Viera/Viis in that expansion. Pay no attention to the fact that I can't recall her name right now.

But the others are right; the husbando category is way more crowded than the waifu category. And with G'raha the unquestioned first-place winner, it's a bloodbath for second.

I count Ysayle in the former but Shiva in the latter; I'm kinda being generous on the 'monster fucker' terminology here because I'm more trying to highlight that if you fight a woman as a boss in this game, be it a 'super form' like Shiva or a natural state like the succubi, they're always hot.

And Ysayle I feel like is a perfect example for 'character creator baseline' hot. She's got unique hair, but everything else is generic, and I think she's more meant to look 'severe and aloof' than 'hot'. She's clearly got an ice queen thing going on, and thanks to that baseline attractiveness she's pretty enough for that to work if that's your thing.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Started playing FF14 over the weekend and its been a good time. I am up to level 20 and have started working through the learning duties. I don't know if this is the right place for this but I was wondering should I bother with the profession quests right now? Also, should I bother unlocking and doing all the different town leves I come across? So far I've just been doing the main quest and the class quests plus the odd side quest I stumble across. Even with those I have out leveled the main quest by about 5 levels.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Started playing FF14 over the weekend and its been a good time. I am up to level 20 and have started working through the learning duties. I don't know if this is the right place for this but I was wondering should I bother with the profession quests right now? Also, should I bother unlocking and doing all the different town leves I come across? So far I've just been doing the main quest and the class quests plus the odd side quest I stumble across. Even with those I have out leveled the main quest by about 5 levels.

If by profession quests you mean the crafters, only if you really want to do them Right Now. It's easier to do them later on, and the whole thing is optional anyway.

Leves are basically not worth doing. And yeah the game throws XP at you.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You may prefer the New Players thread, but for a quick answer - you'll be fine doing the main story quest + class/job quests. You can unlock the Leves if you wish, they're just depreciated because you get enough experience from MSQ now and there are likely better things you can use leve allowances for. The crafting and gathering jobs can be unlocked whenever you feel like it, they have their own stories and such, too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

do your main and class quests as you go, and side quests if the area appeals to you or if it has the special + icon that says it unlocks content. don't worry about overleveling; you'll get level synced for the stuff that needs it. worst comes to worst you can work on an alt job simultaneously if one looks appealing

you'll probably want at least one of each of a crafting and gathering job (hand/land) eventually, especially once you can start loving with materia, but it's easier to level when you have access to flight and the market board

leves are mostly useful for a repeatable non instance way to grind up alt jobs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/hikalliope/status/1556368180964114432

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like i've basically been a bit of all of these except chaotic evil.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Thanks for all the replies, I'll check out the new players thread I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Debroye is the best lady because she hates archon loaf almost as much as I do and also loves terrible jokes. A+++++++

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Good and evil seem to have their axis switched.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Good and evil seem to have their axis switched.

I have legitimately typed out "But are you dead?" far more times than I can count when babytanks complain. Lawful evil seems quite accurate.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rynoto posted:

I have legitimately typed out "But are you dead?" far more times than I can count when babytanks complain. Lawful evil seems quite accurate.

But that’s the sign of a good healer.

An evil one is the one asleep on their cure button, wasting everyone’s time and still letting people die.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hogama posted:

You may prefer the New Players thread, but for a quick answer - you'll be fine doing the main story quest + class/job quests. You can unlock the Leves if you wish, they're just depreciated because you get enough experience from MSQ now and there are likely better things you can use leve allowances for. The crafting and gathering jobs can be unlocked whenever you feel like it, they have their own stories and such, too.

Also the Hall of Newbie (or however they are called) tutorial quests give a nice set of equipment that's good for up to level 30.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If you’re super concerned about being efficient, there’s a side area (the Diadem) that’s unlocked when you’re pretty far into Heavensward’s main story that makes leveling crafters and gatherers a lot simpler.

As for overleveling the main story, that’s actually pretty common; the main story quests provide enough exp that you can feasibly level two (maybe three) classes/jobs with it so long as they’re all in the same range of wherever you are in the main story.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

I fall into chaotic neutral far more than I'd care to admit.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I remember one healer as we zoned into the 73 instance (the one with frogs, I forget the name) macro out "don't wall to wall pull if your mit game isnt good, I like to dps".

When I did wall to wall pull and died because I got bupkus for heals, he said I should've used LD (which I did, but died before it triggered and used my cooldown anyway.) then used the same macro on me. I should've reported them for not doing their role in a dungeon.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am always of the opinion that if i die while my invuln is up (including hitting it too late and still dying) then it was my own drat fault, regardless of what the healer may or may not be doing.

happens to all of us though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Regalingualius posted:

As for overleveling the main story, that’s actually pretty common; the main story quests provide enough exp that you can feasibly level two (maybe three) classes/jobs with it so long as they’re all in the same range of wherever you are in the main story.

Confirm. I have a problem and that's i like to do roulettes and raids. Which gives so much xp that i blew wayyyy past the MSQ on SCH/SMN and it was frustrating, because i wanted poetics gear that i couldn't get to yet, so i could be Strong and look Cool

My solution: after HW i rolled gunbreaker and did almost everything (except party duties, i'm too scared to group with this job yet) in Stormblood on gnb. With a couple of Tails turn-ins i ended up 69.7 or so at the end of 4.0. They've got it pretty dialed in.

Anyways, on the other chat: Sadu owns and i wish you could pick the two-tone eye thing she has going on for your own.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Your mit game can be A+ but it's still on your dps to actually take out the pull in a reasonable amount of time before you run out of cooldowns where even a healer spamming gcds might not save you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Jonny 290 posted:

Anyways, on the other chat: Sadu owns and i wish you could pick the two-tone eye thing she has going on for your own.

Is this the limbal-ring thing? Because Au Ra can do that in chargen! I didn't do it because I found it looked kind of like the Xbox error ring, but it's definitely an option.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Is this the limbal-ring thing? Because Au Ra can do that in chargen! I didn't do it because I found it looked kind of like the Xbox error ring, but it's definitely an option.

The darker colors don’t glow as much, that’s what I have on my Au Ra.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Maxwell Lord posted:

True, but it's still kinda weird how little she's in EW given the whole "series finale" feel that has.

She's in EW quite a bit more than a lot of characters who have been around forever - Hell she has WAY more screen time than Cid or any of the city-state leaders

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Your mit game can be A+ but it's still on your dps to actually take out the pull in a reasonable amount of time before you run out of cooldowns where even a healer spamming gcds might not save you.

some people say being a bad dps player is less visible than being a bad tank or bad healer, but boy do i notice when i have to burn through more resources than usual to live through a pull

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can see bad tanks and bad healers, but you can feel bad dps

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sometimes bad dps is the fault of the tank/healer though. Doesn't matter if your red jobs are decent if the healer is spamming Cure I and the tank is just using his basic single target combo on a group of mobs while pulling them all out of doton.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not something I immediately notice as a healer main, i.e. dropped GCDs, bad rotations, and/or weak gear, but I do notice when pulls aren't as smooth as they could be and/or take longer than "average" and start paying closer attention.
Sometimes it's just the tank refusing to use their standard mitigation suite (not even invulns, just Rampart and such), but when I see the first boss in a dungeon get to cycle through its routine an extra 2-3 times I know there's something up with the DPS.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've been tanking Expert Roulettes a lot lately, and I can definitely feel when the DPS is slow -- you develop an internal timer of when the pack "should" be dead.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

I've been tanking Expert Roulettes a lot lately, and I can definitely feel when the DPS is slow -- you develop an internal timer of when the pack "should" be dead.

Yeah, you eventually get a feel for "average" DPS and can start noticing when something's wrong instinctually. I've had more than a few cases where I've felt something's off, turned on ACT, and found out one of my DPS apparently never bound their AoEs to anything. It's a good skill to have, especially during leveling dungeons, since you'll know when you need to shift gears down and start doing smaller pulls so your healer doesn't get overwhelmed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Maxwell Lord posted:

True, but it's still kinda weird how little she's in EW given the whole "series finale" feel that has.

She's in it more than any of the other nation leaders basically put together.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, you get your fill of Saduesium.. It's great, I love her but I can't stand in the way of her true love, being the biggest lesbian in FFXIV.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

"Keep monologuing, I'm reloading."

I haven't really put together any new glams. Did find a nice sunset while sidequesting in the Sagolii, decided to pose with it. At least gives better lighting than the inn room shot I took previously.

Although speaking of inn room shots, I did technically glam SAM, but into "I won't actually be playing SAM, so I might as well have a beach RP outfit."

I later glammed the Bokuto on, so he's completely ready to smash watermelons.

And on the glam-adjacent front, I picked the right outfit to do Hildibrand in.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fenix Alheron posted:

Is it time to post glam shots yet? it's always time to post glam shots

very happy with this one on my lalafell alt

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 8, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

some people say being a bad dps player is less visible than being a bad tank or bad healer, but boy do i notice when i have to burn through more resources than usual to live through a pull

There's definitely a proper tempo to the more recent dungeons that gets thrown off if your dps is low. If your dps is good, and you pop your 2 minute cooldowns on the first trash pack, they should be back up right when you get to the first boss. If your dps sucks, they come up in the middle of the second trash pack and it feels bad whether you hold them or pop them.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMxiSH1Otw

Not sure if this has been shared here yet, but I think it's really cool how FFXIV keeps trying to make itself more accessible to new players.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/kenoastral/status/1556720355745603584?s=21&t=iwce7rkzO9trGs0mdBN2GQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Nothing makes me feel better at this game than going through my entire DRK burst window and realizing I didn't use Edge of Darkness at all.