Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Pyrolocutus posted:

Guild Ball did get murdered by the company that made it though :shepface:

I have it on good authority that Guild Ball was murdered by its players, who were too competitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Anyone wanna share the guild ball poo poo in more detail? The uncured resin poisoning I'm experiencing is making me interested in knowing more.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im just glad Infinity and Malifaux are still around and seem to be doing well

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Saalkin posted:

Anyone wanna share the guild ball poo poo in more detail? The uncured resin poisoning I'm experiencing is making me interested in knowing more.

Most of it's been covered, but Steamforged began to quietly abandon Guild Ball as soon as the Dark Souls kickstarter hit big, including the Season 2 rules update missing it's launch entirely without comment for several days. This kind of continued from there, as they withered support for the game while still producing models in less and less quantities, making supply harder and harder to get a hold of, until it was cut down to like a single guy actively designing the game.

A big rebalance was in the works, and playtested, but no news got posted for months. Somebody asked them to confirm if there was going to be an announcement and Rich Loxam, the head of the company replied to them with "Don't worry, big news coming soon!"

The big news was that they were killing support of the game, not finishing out any of the remaining minor guild releases, ceasing all production, not releasing any rebalanced ruleset, and lastly, blaming the community for being 'too competitive' and making the game too hard to balance. This was of course hugely hosed, as they marketed the game on how competitive it was.

Anecdotes that I can add - At the first sanctioned (official) Guild Ball tournament in the US, held in a separate room during Warmachine Weekend, Matt Hart made a big speech about how Guild Ball was very successful and they wouldn't be using Kickstarter as a company going forward - this was immediately followed by the Dark Souls Kickstarter.

Additionally, one of the last events that Hart was at before they killed the game, someone whipped his rear end with his own gimmick of removing the ball from play and very slowly grinding out a KO-victory, and the story goes that he left livid, and the remaining enthusiasts do believe he killed the game out of spite at that point.

There's fans keeping an updated ruleset and releasing rules for minor teams that weren't released as well as STLs, they even made a better app than the official one. Guild Ball Community Project. They're pretty active in vassal/wartable play last I looked, but it's obviously on life support. Jamie P, who was the one remaining designer on the game before the company kills it, regularly participates in their online tournaments.

In short, Steamforged sucks poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rydiafan posted:

Why continue making and selling your popular miniatures game when you can stop in the middle of a rebalance that has like one faction to go, blame your customers for playing wrong, then go become CMON junior selling lovely licensed games on Kickstarter?

Tbf they were doing the lovely kickstarters for a long time already :v

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Don't forget the field test where they trialled a bunch of random rule changes and took it personally when people weren't entirely thrilled by the rules or the approach or the response to feedback!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's hilarious because SFG is a name I actively avoid in the tabletop gaming space, their designs have always been mediocre at best and actively awful at worst.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Disappointing to read, I actually had a ton of fun with Guild Ball.

A large and vocal scene emerged quickly in my area, huge demand for it so a bunch of stores ordered tons of stock then everybody quit playing locally lol. Those boxes sat there forever.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Disappointing to read, I actually had a ton of fun with Guild Ball.

A large and vocal scene emerged quickly in my area, huge demand for it so a bunch of stores ordered tons of stock then everybody quit playing locally lol. Those boxes sat there forever.

Fun fact, Guild Ball had more events in the year before it was killed than it ever had, so the death was even more egregious.

Also Guild Ball's popularity definitely spooked PP into releasing MK3 early/arguably unfinished.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah they definitely had a ton of overlap there.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Good to know I can just keep right on avoiding Steamforged's stuff for the foreseeable future. I had bought some GB figures back in the day and enjoyed painting them, but never really got around to playing the game.

(E: to correct a weird redundancy :v:)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 8, 2022

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Good to know I can just keep right on avoiding Steamforged's stuff for the foreseeable future. I had bought some GB figures back in the day and enjoyed painting them, but never really got around to painting them.

Seeing GodTear catching on around me, but reading about Guild Ball I'm kind of side eyeing it now.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Maneck posted:

The way they did army books was crazy. Even as someone who was buying books at liquidation prices for the lore and to understand the models in other armies, I found the inconsistency in design annoying. For some armies, buying the army book doesn't get you a description of all the units. You have to go to the main rule book for others. And even after adding those two sources together, there are still units which pre-existed publication which are missing. Skorne, again, are the clear example of this. I've been told Privateer Press was, for a time, going with the idea that a single faction would have multiple army books to cover the different themes. Since the rules were always available free in Mk. 3, the idea that people would buy the main rule book plus multiple codicies to play a faction (keeping in mind the actually rules in the books would be very quickly out of date) is wild, and retailers who ordered these books suffered massive losses on it. They were expensive and pointless. See also Mk. 3 card packs which went out of date and were never updated.

The way they did rulebooks was a sloppy attempt to continue something they did very right in Mk1 and Mk2 but found too bloated by Mk3 and did in a half-assed way. GW basically updates armies when they get a new army book, which updates the entire army, is normally power creep. The WM/H approach in Mk 1 and Mk2 was to have "timeline books" where the core minis would be in the basic rulebook and instead of new army books they'd produce every other year a book that advanced the timeline and would have new models for all the 5+1 WM factions or all the 4+1 Hordes factions. This meant that although there was definite power creep every army was being power-crept at the same time so everyone was bouncing about their cool new stuff and no one knew where the meta would land for about a year by which time there was (a) a new book for the other game and (b) you were starting to see the new wave of stuff on the horizon. Of course there was a lot less errata there.

And Skorne? Where to begin. Ah, yes. With an entire barrage of arbitrary nerfs to the multi-wound models going into Mk3 (with the single wound infantry facing a mass of infantry hate) and basically no bonuses other than cost drops equivalent to other factions. From memory most of the important ones were:
  • Skorne's fundamental unit pretty much were Paingiver Beast Handlers whose Enrage ability in Mk2 gave their warbeasts free charges and +2 to Str for a turn. So all Skorne from Mk1 onwards were used to free charges. Mk3 Beast Handlers inexplicably took the free charges away for no reason (and because all Skorne beasts had free charges from this no Skorne beast had free charges by their own merits)
  • Skorne's second warbeast support model was the Mortitheurge Willbreaker who lost Anciliary Attack in favour IIRC of making infantry tough
  • Skorne's main heavy warbeasts were the titans. Who were for some reason arbitarily nerfed from Def 12 to Def 10. Also from memory three of the four titans lost a point of Fury for no reason (in addition to the loss of free charges)
  • Skorne's other heavy warbeasts fared little better; the archidon lost a point of fury and the rhinodon lost 1" off their thresher attack and lost the ability to boost all thresher attacks. (The Spd 3 Aradus warbeasts were unchanged)
  • Skorne's main light warbeasts were the basilisks. They each lost 2 points of ARM and the Krea had their anti-shooting animus nerfed (from memory nerfed in two different ways)
  • Skorne's cyclops light warbeasts all lost ARM but got cheaper. This came out in the wash.
  • Skorne's already marginal cataphracts (outside one theme force) took the normal heavy infantry nerf from 8 wounds to 5 and also, for no particular reason, lost a point of Def.
  • Many Skorne warlocks took heavy sideways nerfs - for example changes to Revive preventing Mordikaar setting up revive-back-arc-charges, Makeda3 no longer being able to use Beat Back to play Pac-Man, and more

Basically the rule they seemed to use was to nerf anything remotely good, apply across the board nerfs, and give almost nothing (I think the only actual winners were Makeda2 and the Ferox). There was no Skorne play style left.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Guild Ball was a genuinely smart and brilliant game with a couple of issues each season. It died way too soon.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Thirsty Dog posted:

Guild Ball was a genuinely smart and brilliant game with a couple of issues each season. It died way too soon.

To paraphrase
“Guild Ball is not dead, it was killed, and those who killed it have names, addresses and terrible tie in kickstarters.”

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
This has been a useful derail. I knew people were really gun-hoe about Guildball and then it was just gone at some point after the pandemic.

Apparently mk. 4's executioner mode is a blast to play. It sounded weird to me and I completely ignored it. Some more open minded folks have tried it and apparently it really works. Both players actually do thing with their caster, rather than keeping them stashed behind something all game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Maneck posted:

This has been a useful derail. I knew people were really gun-hoe about Guildball and then it was just gone at some point after the pandemic.

Apparently mk. 4's executioner mode is a blast to play. It sounded weird to me and I completely ignored it. Some more open minded folks have tried it and apparently it really works. Both players actually do thing with their caster, rather than keeping them stashed behind something all game.

I'm looking forward to this more than almost anything else because I prefer to play mid to frontline casters anyways.

Also in my area Guild Ball managed to pick up literally all of the most toxic individuals from the WMH community and that certainly didn't help things

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Executioner Mode sounds great because having your caster be the giant blinking weakspot of your army instead of a powerful and useful weapon sucks. Sure, kill the leader to break the army has worked historically, but it's boring to have matches revolve around protect the president. I want my rad paladin wizard to get up and lay down some rear end beatings, not hide in the back.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Magres posted:

Executioner Mode sounds great because having your caster be the giant blinking weakspot of your army instead of a powerful and useful weapon sucks. Sure, kill the leader to break the army has worked historically, but it's boring to have matches revolve around protect the president.

The best games I have had of WMH were two tough casters going up against each other. This change is the tipping point needed to get me interested in the new edition. If the beatss and jacks are indeed powerful enough to be able to stand up against infantry hordes, I will give this a shot.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah that's the other thing that sounds fun, giant killing machines and T-Rex sized warbeasts should be mowing through infantry, not getting bogged down. It's like a bunch of toddlers trying to fight a grown adult, in terms of size comparison.

E: I have that statue of the adult man fighting four babies in mind, for context

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 9, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

As a [former] Denny1 player I am more than happy to have her chill in the back :(

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Magres posted:

Yeah that's the other thing that sounds fun, giant killing machines and T-Rex sized warbeasts should be mowing through infantry, not getting bogged down. It's like a bunch of toddlers trying to fight a grown adult, in terms of size comparison.

Removing facing will do a lot for this as well. I've been against very good players who could safely neutralize my mountain king with like two throwaway soldiers who can't be trampled through and placed in such a way that I couldn't bulldoze them carefully tucked into each fist zone.

Yes, this is awesome high level play, but I want my big monsters to smash things :(

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Maneck posted:

Gung-ho...

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'm kind of a gun hoe myself

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They've started posting (more) previews for Khador: https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/08/10/khador-winter-korps-lore-kapitan-borisyuk-and-winter-korps-infantry/
We got a Warcaster who looks like a Manhunter stole a gun from Cyberpunk and unit of Winter Korps Infantry that looks virtually indistinguishable from the older Winter Guard Rifle Corps. So not terribly exciting thematically but there are 5 different grunt (not U/WAs) sculpts for a single unit of this size, which I'm pretty sure sure is a first for Privateer Press. I know it doesn't matter to everyone but if I'll be much more likely to buy if they keep this up, assuming any issues with the resin are worked out, of course.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 11, 2022

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
It'll be interesting if there are more clear successor units like this where the idea is that you can use your existing models - certainly eases the transition a bunch if I get to do new things with my old models.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

xiw posted:

It'll be interesting if there are more clear successor units like this where the idea is that you can use your existing models - certainly eases the transition a bunch if I get to do new things with my old models.

It would be pretty crazy of them not to do this really, thinking about it, since it means they don't need new designs plus good will

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
When they said the different Warjack heads would give different abilities, I kinda expected them to look dramatically different. I mean, I don't think people will care that much about head WYSIWYG as the weapons, but it feels like an odd thing to introduce as a differentiating factor, and then... have them be so similar (Unless you paint them differently, of course).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Desfore posted:

(Unless you paint them differently, of course).

That doesn't really help anyone but the army owner though, because your opponent won't know how you've painted the 4 different heads :shrug:

But yea "zero glance value" was my first & immediate complaint when they said different heads convey different abilities. Seems like it could be incredibly painful to play regularly against 1 Orgoth player who doesn't use the Arc Node head for their Jackal then play against someone who does :shrug:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If its anything like warcaster no one will know or care about the head and they'll just rely on whats written on your list

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Padical posted:

Removing facing will do a lot for this as well. I've been against very good players who could safely neutralize my mountain king with like two throwaway soldiers who can't be trampled through and placed in such a way that I couldn't bulldoze them carefully tucked into each fist zone.

Yes, this is awesome high level play, but I want my big monsters to smash things :(

and just lmao at the entire idea of "godzilla sized monster paralyzed with fear by two lads with sticks standing 170 degrees apart on either side of him"

like they cant even reach up and stab an MK in the taint with a long spear, MK shouldnt have to give a gently caress that two little humans are making frowny faces at him and standing in the way

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Magres posted:

and just lmao at the entire idea of "godzilla sized monster paralyzed with fear by two lads with sticks standing 170 degrees apart on either side of him"

like they cant even reach up and stab an MK in the taint with a long spear, MK shouldnt have to give a gently caress that two little humans are making frowny faces at him and standing in the way

Hey man stepping on those spears really hurts!! The MK is barefoot and I do not blame him for not wanting to get impaled by the scale equivalent of a lego 😤

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Did anyone else order a Preview box? My order is still "Awaiting Fulfillment" :(

I'm sure most of the staff was at GenCon but in their blog post they said they had been printing inventory for a while in prep for the weekend so that things could "ship immediately". I got my order in relatively earlier in the day on Thursday, surprised it wasn't in the mail by this past Friday.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I had a random thought to pick up some old starter kits so my friends and I could have little skirmish games. Havent played or paid attention in probably 7 or 8 years. Like the person said a page or two ago, it feels like walking into the party and everything's on fire!

Am I pretty much confined to the secondary market to find the starter kits, or is there a retailer who still sells this stuff?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sab669 posted:

Did anyone else order a Preview box? My order is still "Awaiting Fulfillment" :(

I'm sure most of the staff was at GenCon but in their blog post they said they had been printing inventory for a while in prep for the weekend so that things could "ship immediately". I got my order in relatively earlier in the day on Thursday, surprised it wasn't in the mail by this past Friday.

I did and I have the same status but that's pretty much what I was expecting.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

I had a random thought to pick up some old starter kits so my friends and I could have little skirmish games. Havent played or paid attention in probably 7 or 8 years. Like the person said a page or two ago, it feels like walking into the party and everything's on fire!

Am I pretty much confined to the secondary market to find the starter kits, or is there a retailer who still sells this stuff?

Starter kits have been out of print for a year +, so unless you find someone still holding stock you'll be out of luck unfortunately.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

S.J. posted:

Also in my area Guild Ball managed to pick up literally all of the most toxic individuals from the WMH community and that certainly didn't help things

Why? This sounds like an excellent situation.
As long as you didn't want to play GB, that is.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Why? This sounds like an excellent situation.
As long as you didn't want to play GB, that is.

Didn't help things for the GB community, I mean.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/08/15/resin-and-magnet-safety/

PP posted:

For those who have ordered the preview battle boxes, whether you are ordering internationally or are in the U.S., your order will arrive with the magnets packaged separately from the model kits and in the child-resistant containers. While magnets can be fun to play with, it is important to handle the magnets with care and ensure they are safely out of reach of small children at all times.

Making this adjustment to our packing process has required sourcing new packaging and printing labels, which has added a few days to our production of the preview battlegroups. They should start shipping later this week.

:argh: Stupid children, eating magnets like a bunch of idiots, delaying the shipping of my dolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
So looking more at the resin situation, I'm caught thinking about the UV curing. Does that mean unpainted models will over-cure over time from regular daylight?