Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
C14S is the best option but a fairly tight fit for the M1, I think? U9S should be good enough as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
You can get a 1tb Gen 4 SSD for less than that Samsung 970

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2250635977...uLy7YA&LH_BIN=1

Theres also a "used" version of that same motherboard for 153$ at the moment on Amazon, I personally got the same one and it arrived in brand new condition with all the accessories still wrapped, only the box was a tiny bit beat up. There also an X570 version for a little more, doesn't have a USB-C header if that matters.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-B55...ps%2C121&sr=8-2

Also I think the 750w version of that EVGA sfx PSU is about 70$ less, I know the 5800x uses a little more but I haven't had an issue with my 5600x and 3080.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superno...104&sr=8-4&th=1

edit: oh bugger didn't see you already bought the parts

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Not custom (and might have been posted back in June) but the P360 Ultra looks like a pretty slick platform... not as tiny as the P360 Micro and kinda sad it only has one 2.5" bay slot, but.. can support a full length x16 + another x4 slot AND two NICs out of the box. Would make a pretty sick little homelab box.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just saw this Meshlicious ripoff case from Jonsbo: https://www.newegg.com/black-jonsbo...BE9S3316-_--_-1

Well, okay, it has curved edges and a solid top panel, so that means it's completely different. :v:

It's also just a smidge bigger (10 - 20mm) in all three dimensions. The Meshilicious already had fairly generous clearances, but this one will be a bit more generous it looks like. It comes with a 4.0 riser cable for $20 cheaper than the meshlicious, which strikes me as not a lot of money to save when getting a knockoff. But who knows, maybe it's secretly really good in its own right?

edit: it's 19.87L as opposed to 14.67L, so a pretty big difference, actually.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 8, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

movax posted:

Not custom (and might have been posted back in June) but the P360 Ultra looks like a pretty slick platform... not as tiny as the P360 Micro and kinda sad it only has one 2.5" bay slot, but.. can support a full length x16 + another x4 slot AND two NICs out of the box. Would make a pretty sick little homelab box.

The predecessor P350 tiny is £420 for people in the UK

https://www.theitbay.com/lenovo-thinkstation-p350-tiny-core-i5-11500-2-7-ghz-vpro-8-gb-ssd-256-gb-uk

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I have one of those (but the M90q version) I'm turning into a little router / Proxmox host. The difference in that Ultra is that it's bigger but can host two PCIe cards in a pretty small package -- neat double-sided motherboard too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Just give me a new Thermaltake Core V1 (which is already large enough for full size ATX PSUs) that can take 3 slot wide and slightly longer video cards... though at some point I guess it becomes as large as a Core V21

GaN is the technology behind all those extra small power bricks you've seen lately, but will it scale to full size computers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfTXZP2DB20

:tipshat: Very informative. Shame that we're at least a couple decades away from GaN processors, but the application for power delivery seems much closer.

knox_harrington posted:

Idk about the meshilicious but getting some custom cables made everything fit super nicely in my Dan-a4, I'll definitely do that for future builds. Maybe DIY.

Seconding this. Custom cables are a major QOL improvement in the SFF space. If you're building on a budget and not willing to measure and wire pinouts by hand, it might not be feasible, but if you can find room in your budget they can be a major space and clutter saver, and I'm a particularly big fan of the silver cables P-Slate Customs sells. They add a bit of visual contrast in the typically dark interior of a PC case, can come pre-measured to your component selection to minimize wasted slack, and bend easily to fit in their planned routing path.

And their customer service was happy to quote me for custom custom cables for more esoteric work like rewiring a DDC pump.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I had a nerd friend come over last night and we drank some beers and put together all the parts into the m1. The big thing was that cooler, it’s huge. I’m still using a 1060 I bought several years ago. Everything is so tight, I have absolutely no more room. The cables were getting stuck in the cpu fan. Is there a way to get more slim wires. It’s messy but it turns on and boots windows.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

yeah, pslate customs does it best; ordered some cables from them for my ridiculous m1 build

using an SFF PSU would open some more space too

interested to see how the C-14S does with your 5800X, it ran a little too hot for my liking :)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I love the meshlicious, with the aio it sounds like a distant tree has a breeze rustling through it at best
I put on these bad boys
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1053061087/sffpc-case-human-feet-mod-3d-printed

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Cheese Thief posted:

Everything is so tight, I have absolutely no more room. The cables were getting stuck in the cpu fan. Is there a way to get more slim wires. It’s messy but it turns on and boots windows.

You need to be a lot more prodigious in your use of cable ties

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

denereal visease posted:

yeah, pslate customs does it best; ordered some cables from them for my ridiculous m1 build

using an SFF PSU would open some more space too

interested to see how the C-14S does with your 5800X, it ran a little too hot for my liking :)

I will once again recommend their unsleeved cables. Easy to route, and the silver/clear ones look wonderful.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Are gpus getting more efficient wrt temp and performance or is the tdp just gonna keep going up as newer generations come about? At this point I wouldn't mind buying a whole new setup with the same performance if it meant that I could reduce my energy and temp.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

for 30 series iirc the answer was "yes, it's more efficient", but then nVidia raised TDP to a point where it doesn't matter 🙃

you can get what you're after if you're willing to undervolt

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ughhhh posted:

Are gpus getting more efficient wrt temp and performance or is the tdp just gonna keep going up as newer generations come about? At this point I wouldn't mind buying a whole new setup with the same performance if it meant that I could reduce my energy and temp.

I mean without knowing your current setup it's meaningless to speculate. I have a 5600x and 3080 ITX system that runs pretty much always under 70c and pulls maybe 450W at load after a bit of undervolting while being as close to high end performance wise as was reasonable.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

It was more of a general question. For example does a 3060 preform as well as a 2070 while using less electricity? With the way energy prices are going up I would have thought Nvidia or AMD would release some skew geared towards some power efficient form, but I guess if something can be more efficient, they would just pump up the power more to push more performance out of it. It's just sad to see everything getting hotter and more power hungry from cpus, to gpus. Even the power settings in nvida control panel isnt very intuitive, nor is it advertised very much.

looking at this link (passmark tdp ranking), i wouldn't mind buying a laptop skew gpu for my pc, but i assume that is just a undervolted gpu?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 13, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ughhhh posted:

It was more of a general question. For example does a 3060 preform as well as a 2070 while using less electricity? With the way energy prices are going up I would have thought Nvidia or AMD would release some skew geared towards some power efficient form, but I guess if something can be more efficient, they would just pump up the power more to push more performance out of it. It's just sad to see everything getting hotter and more power hungry from cpus, to gpus. Even the power settings in nvida control panel isnt very intuitive, nor is it advertised very much.

looking at this link (passmark tdp ranking), i wouldn't mind buying a laptop skew gpu for my pc, but i assume that is just a undervolted gpu?

Cards are getting both more power efficient and more power hungry at the same time, yeah. Though that does mean you can still pick up lower-end cards that run low TDPs. I wouldn't be surprised if the only sub-200W cards from Nvidia next generation will be the 4050 and lower, for instance, but a 150W 4050 or whatever could theoretically still (if tuned correctly, hopefully) end up running as well as a ~200W 30-series card or better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 13, 2022

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comments/pfyhto/custom_meshlicious_9x_hdd_plex_nas_unraid_server/

This is sick.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thats basically what i did as well! But I didnt make custom trays. Just played with the included GPU stand offs and was actually able to screw the HDs into the stock GPU standoffs. Used some plastic washers to space the drives out a bit, and put two 140mm Silent Wings in the front and its been great. Been running 24/7 for a year, only downtime being Windows updates.

Have had 4x 12tb shucked WDs in it in the past (with a boot SSD and extra 2tb 2.5in spinny), but currently on 2x 12s because I used the other 2 to build a friend a similar box. Currently using a 4790S, running Plex + seedboxing and the cheapo Dynatron industrial CPU fan never even spins up.

I went with Winders and StorageSpaces because im less comfortable with Linux and the point of a NAS is not trying out software things you dont really understand afterall, but i'm considering trying out TrueNAS and playing with docker and such when I upgrade. Which I have zero need to do, but I want to. Oh how I want to. Honestly the only thing I really wish it had was multigig networking, and thats just for the twice a month i want to pull an F1 race off of the NAS to my PC.

One bit of warning about the meshlicious though: with 140mm fans, if you live in a dusty area, your PC will develop a really good lookin set of Dust Honkers.

The good news is that its insanely easy to pull that front panel off and vacuum it or run it under the sink.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Anyone with an Ncase M1 willing to sell me their hard drive cage? Just need what's pictured on top, not the fan bracket.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 23, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I know the Corsair SFF 600 is a good PSU as is the 750, but what are the options out there if I want to go 800w-850w? It looks like there's reputable PSU brands out there making those, but I hear that its not always about the brands because they just put stickers on power supplies, and the person who actually manufactures those power supplies has a lot more to do with quality control than the sticker applier like Corsair/EVGA/Coolermaster and others?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Silverstone SX800-LTI has solid reviews. I've used their 750 for a while with no issues.

It's a SFX-L tho, not sure if that would work for your use case.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Cooler Master has an 850 sku. https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/v-series/v850-sfx-gold/

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Also if you don't need it right now it might not be the worst idea to wait a few months. If the NVidia 4000-series cards are actually going to be as power-hungry as some rumors are making them out to be, they will likely drive more PSU manufacturers to bump their SFF models up a notch or two in wattage and may give you both more options and lower prices as a result.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Possibly more ITX cases will start supporting atx psu's. I want to say I read about transient power spikes with Nvidia that were beyond a lot of the sfx psu's ability to cope with.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't see any point in buying a new GPU until sometime next year when next-gen games like Starfield start trickling out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The bizarrely long game drought def isn’t helping the gaming revenue slump that the Big 3 all had, I imagine.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/buildapcsales/status/1557520200672722945?s=21&t=3nSlI-lf_OBzVgxg1HnpsA

Not really competitive with the Meshlicious anymore, but made in the US and Sliger is generally very well made. Also the solid front panel and rad in the back might work better for some builds.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is there a budget alternative to the Sliger Cerberus?

My requirements are:

- ATX PSU (but ITX motherboard is OK)
- Full-sized GPU
- At least 1x 3,5" HDD, ideally 2

That kills the Meshlicious unfortunately, since it only mounts HDDs with a SFF GPU.

Cerberus + brackets etc. comes up to like 250€, so I might as well buy a cheaper case and a new SFX PSU instead.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 12, 2022

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Is there a budget alternative to the Sliger Cerberus?

My requirements are:

- ATX PSU (but ITX motherboard is OK)
- Full-sized GPU
- At least 1x 3,5" HDD, ideally 2

That kills the Meshlicious unfortunately, since it only mounts HDDs with a SFF GPU.

Cerberus + brackets etc. comes up to like 250€, so I might as well buy a cheaper case and a new SFX PSU instead.

I’ll plug the SAMA IM01, though looks like there is now an 02 revision — should meet all those needs.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think the NR200 would fit the bill too. You need a bracket for an ATX PSU, but it does support one.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

anyone thinking of grabbing the revised formd t1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcLdVLr3Oy8

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What's some good mATX cases to look for? Looking to get the boyfriend a more airflow friendly case. I'll be avoiding bottom intake due to pets and carpets. Looking for full-size GPU support, good airflow, as compact as possible without sacrificing too much 3.5" and 2.5" drive space.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sphyre posted:

anyone thinking of grabbing the revised formd t1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcLdVLr3Oy8

Not particularly, the reference layout ended up being disappointing and I still don't trust sandwich layouts with flow-thru FE designs so sticking with my NR200.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ijyt posted:

What's some good mATX cases to look for? Looking to get the boyfriend a more airflow friendly case. I'll be avoiding bottom intake due to pets and carpets. Looking for full-size GPU support, good airflow, as compact as possible without sacrificing too much 3.5" and 2.5" drive space.

Comedy option old school sugo cases from Silverstone. Like the sg-11 or sg-12.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

Are you sure you mean mATX? mATX boards are only a couple inches shorter than full ATX and the same width, so there aren't a lot of very compact mATX cases. Motherboard selection is also very thin now that you can cram audio, wifi, and an m.2 slot or two onto an itx board, so most people don't have a need for more expansion. I have a fractal design define mini c which is great, but it's also not much smaller than the regular define c, and if I keep it when I upgrade I'll probably just have to get an ITX board to go in it. Other than that it meets your requirements - good airflow, full-length GPU, and two or three 3.5" and 2.5" slots each, although it's not very compact - more of a smaller tower than something truly SFF.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

SAMA IM01

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Though they said they wanted to avoid bottom intake… though, you can do a pretty good pull-from-back setup with the right kind of cooler I guess.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

TwoDeer posted:

Though they said they wanted to avoid bottom intake… though, you can do a pretty good pull-from-back setup with the right kind of cooler I guess.

No one is forcing you to put fans there. Also the case can be inverted by swapping top and bottom panels if need be. You can do side intake while inverted and fans on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

hypnophant posted:

Are you sure you mean mATX? mATX boards are only a couple inches shorter than full ATX and the same width, so there aren't a lot of very compact mATX cases. Motherboard selection is also very thin now that you can cram audio, wifi, and an m.2 slot or two onto an itx board, so most people don't have a need for more expansion. I have a fractal design define mini c which is great, but it's also not much smaller than the regular define c, and if I keep it when I upgrade I'll probably just have to get an ITX board to go in it. Other than that it meets your requirements - good airflow, full-length GPU, and two or three 3.5" and 2.5" slots each, although it's not very compact - more of a smaller tower than something truly SFF.

Yes I know what the difference between ATX, mATX, and ITX is and I went through that with him, he doesn't want an ITX build because SFF sized stuff tends to be at more of a premium and he doesn't particularly care for a smaller case that sits on a desk.