Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't think EVs meaningfully "strain the grid," though? Is there data I'm not seeing on this?

Thousands of new EV's all getting plugged in at 5:30 PM will probably be noticeable on the duck curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
USCE 2022: My new car is worth 100 Grand

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Thousands of new EV's all getting plugged in at 5:30 PM will probably be noticeable on the duck curve.

But they are also not using gasoline, so double carbon if you will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jaxyon posted:

Pushing EV's is great and all but needs to be paired with grid improvements and greener baseline power.

I'm aware the bill subsidizes existing nuclear which is good, but are we just getting a bunch of new EVs that will strain the grid?

well, non-texas states can transport power from areas with more power to deal with insufficient supply on a localized basis while they expand their power generating capabilities

but yeah you also have to switch over power generation. that said, because EVs can do most of their charging at night, they require less increased power generating capabilities than you would think - instead, you keep more power plants online you would shut off at night due to lowered electrical demand.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't think EVs meaningfully "strain the grid," though? Is there data I'm not seeing on this?

Hrrm it's hard to say and I admit I have not researched this enough.

According to research it's not a huge deal but I have questions:

1. We currently have power down warnings in parts of the country from the electical usage we have now, so even a small impact could make that worse
2. As HY:L asks, it matters when they plug in
3. Our baseline generation still isn't green enough, we need more nuclear in the mix to address the carbon issue.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Professor Beetus posted:

In theory your landlord would recognize the savings they would get both long and short term from this program and offer to have those done. In practice lol, and also lmao

E: A little wary of switching to an electric range because cooking with gas is so nice, but otoh not a big fan of the warning light on my air filter that comes on every time I use it. Wonder how many brain cells I'm killing everytime I pop something in the oven.

Gas stoves are pretty horrible for indoor air quality, especially if you don't have good ventilation.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Most (all?) EVs allow for scheduled charging, and even if the car doesn't, many home chargers do. Some power companies are already rewarding their customers for scheduling their charging to occur at a time of reduced demand. This can help power companies level out the imbalance of demand between day and night.

Also they could (and will) just add more capacity like they did when TVs, AC, and other consumer products that noticeably increased the average family energy footprint became popularized.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Wayne Knight posted:

Most (all?) EVs allow for scheduled charging, and even if the car doesn't, many home chargers do. Some power companies are already rewarding their customers for scheduling their charging to occur at a time of reduced demand. This can help power companies level out the imbalance of demand between day and night.

Also they could (and will) just add more capacity like they did when TVs, AC, and other consumer products that noticeably increased the average family energy footprint became popularized.

Yes the issue is that they would add the cheapest possible capacity, which might be zero-carbon, or might not.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lobster shirt posted:

Gas stoves are pretty horrible for indoor air quality, especially if you don't have good ventilation.

We were just looking at some electric stoves/ranges and it doesn't look like the subsidy would pay more than half for a combo unit if I'm reading things right, so that kinda sucks. That poo poo's expensive so I might just be eating the brain cell loss. The few studies I've looked into show that most of the issues caused by gas stoves are in children under a certain age and somewhat negligible in adults. Although most of them pointed out that there's plenty more research to be done and those studies are not conclusive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lobster shirt posted:

Nonsense. I use a gas stove all the time and it has no impact on my mental acuity, just look at my posting.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If the government paid my landlord to upgrade everything in my apartment, they'd double my rent right after lol

Browsing the last couple pages and I'd like to make a gentle recommendation that people read even just the Manifesto or first few chapters of Kapital. The critical point here from a materialist perspective is that candy bars are delicious and cars evil and thus cannot be compared on a 1:1 basis, meaning you must start at least one level below, which is to calculate how many bolts of linen cloth both represent in terms of labor hours

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for the detailed response, I mostly meant what would or could a "better" provision to prevent price gouging look like, as this answer was not good enough to meet the standards of cpt_obvious. I think the 55k cap is pretty good on its face.

:negative:

To add to those answers: gasoline powered vehicles are cheaper than electric vehicles and are a replacement good. If the car companies just jacked the prices up by the amount of subsidy it wouldn't have any effect on that equation and they'd continue to sell relatively poorly. A big part of the intent of the subsidy is to reduce/eliminate the cost advantage of gasoline.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jarmak posted:

To add to those answers: gasoline powered vehicles are cheaper than electric vehicles and are a replacement good. If the car companies just jacked the prices up by the amount of subsidy it wouldn't have any effect on that equation and they'd continue to sell relatively poorly. A big part of the intent of the subsidy is to reduce/eliminate the cost advantage of gasoline.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, although now I'm wondering how high gas prices would have to go to make the first part of your post less true.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I wonder if that has anything to do with the minimum wage hikes in Vietnam.

More about a focus on the US Market.

One of the US Only EV’s is a large SUV.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

Purely on a usability/cooking perspective, my understanding is that most electric and induction cooktops have response times that are great these days. The argument for gas from cooks has always been the heat response time.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I was asked by the local utility to not charge between 4:00pm and 9:00pm.

Easy to do on the Kia EV and I expect others have a similar feature.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Jaxyon posted:

Purely on a usability/cooking perspective, my understanding is that most electric and induction cooktops have response times that are great these days. The argument for gas from cooks has always been the heat response time.

I’m a lifelong chef, and if I’m being honest I find induction burners to be insufferable. You also need to have nice/expensive cookware with a heavy, uniform bottom to avoid hot spots and torching reductions, sauces, etc.

I’m coming around on electric, we have an old electric stove that’s been perfectly maintained by the landlords and it gets shockingly hot. It’s got more firepower than the gas range at our last apartment for sure.

Only exception to my hatred of induction though is one kitchen I worked in where we had digital gram scales built into each induction burner, so recipes read like “reduce truffled bordelaise from 900g to 700g before adding XYZ”. That was really cool.

Lol that’s my TED talk. Sorry didn’t mean to derail the thread.

tokyo reject fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 8, 2022

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
This feels like it’s dangerously close to a mattering.

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1556775245981356034?s=21&t=xa5Fx6CabMKDxvRsLztcvA

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

well, didn't have that one on the bingo card for the week

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Zen master says "we'll see"

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"Former President's House Raided By FBI as Insurrection Hearings Continue" is a major event.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cpt_Obvious posted:

All that said, they have been intentionally built to fall apart and need repair/replacing in order to drive sales. This resulted in a massive auto manufacturer crash around the 08' financial crash that required a government bailout for American manufacturers because nobody wanted to buy their garbage anymore:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_crisis_of_2008%E2%80%932010

Literally none of this is true. The crash happened because GM and Chrysler were heavily invested in trucks and SUVs, which have higher profit margins and were in high demand during the mid-2000s. The economic crash combined with skyrocketing gas prices absolutely cratered demand, which is why those companies had to beg for money from the government. Notably Ford, which was not as heavily over-leveraged, did not have to take money to prevent bankruptcy (though they did take some to shore up their pension/healthcare plans IIRC)

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Honestly I think one of the biggest reasons Trump never gets caught up (besides being rich and white) is that he doesn’t use technology. No emails, no texts, it’s always someone else. I’d be really curious to know what the feds expected to find at Mar-a-Lago.

Definitely have a great mental image of his daily filet-o-fish session getting interrupted by the feds busting in tho lol

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Confirmed by the FBI

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1556776106887303169

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tokyo reject posted:

Honestly I think one of the biggest reasons Trump never gets caught up (besides being rich and white) is that he doesn’t use technology. No emails, no texts, it’s always someone else. I’d be really curious to know what the feds expected to find at Mar-a-Lago.

Definitely have a great mental image of his daily filet-o-fish session getting interrupted by the feds busting in tho lol

trump has publicly tweeted more legally damaging things than most people who lose lawsuits have in private emails

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Doesn't he still have boxes of stolen classified documents sitting around? Whatever it was they were looking for, I doubt it was even hidden

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

It's amazing how he has the ability to be that irritating and stupid sounding in the text medium.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

It's amazing how he has the ability to be that irritating and stupid sounding in the text medium.

He talks like he thinks he so smart and its irritating.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i had a $1000 radiator repair last january and now i got another huge rear end repair out of nowhere. gently caress the climate make EVs cheap so I don't have to ransom myself to mechanics every 4 months.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Until the FBI leaves with him in handcuffs I don’t think I will feel anything other then a malaise about all this. Until then he has a chance to come back and finish the job

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

We've had the Dark Brandon and Dark Manchin arcs. Now it's time for the Dark Merrick arc!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Spiffster posted:

Until the FBI leaves with him in handcuffs I don’t think I will feel anything other then a malaise about all this. Until then he has a chance to come back and finish the job

:hai:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spiffster posted:

While you can raid the house of a random person on essentially a hunch that may not pan out as a political matter you don't raid a former president without a real strong belief someone is getting charged and found guilty of something serious.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jaxyon posted:

That's not what they're talking about

why doesn't milk cost $1000?

why doesn't gas cost $infinity

Milk is pretty low octane, but it does in a pinch

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Some info on what the search means: https://twitter.com/popehat/status/1556777965937037312?s=21&t=3X5tfL7iXNHXrejcJnfA-A. (Full thread)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Barron will finally answer for his crimes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Barron will finally answer for his crimes.

WHO THE gently caress IS BARRON?!
- @RealDonaldTrump

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I still have no belief that that someone that rich and white will ever be criminally charged, let alone see jail.

But I will admit that executing a federal warrant on the residence of a former president sure is pretty big. Has that ever even happened before?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Has that ever even happened before?

Nope, this is new ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Boo, Maggie saying this is for the boring crime where he stole the 15 boxes of records.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1556783069843099648?s=20&t=I1Y5rPK4ZeY7m4zVjU1srA