Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Noah posted:

I had a lot of fun with Project M. I'm pretty sure I was either a fire beetle or spiderling in Misty Thicket.

Did P99 ever implement it?

They did, very briefly on pvp servers i think. The players were not amused and it did not last long iirc.

Project M is one of my fondest EQ memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
So what's the utility of getting an OT hammer as a caster class? What does it get you that gate doesn't? Just another bind point basically?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
That's pretty much it. Easy access to Kunark

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Easy to hammer to OT and get a port as well.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Well, guild had a hammer night where we kept recharging puppet strings and giving out clicks for PP, so I got one... hopefully I'll get some use out of it!

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

truavatar posted:

Well, guild had a hammer night where we kept recharging puppet strings and giving out clicks for PP, so I got one... hopefully I'll get some use out of it!

i thought that was dumb expensive now

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

shirunei posted:

i thought that was dumb expensive now

It’s roughly 4k instead of 2k nowadays.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Mine was through guild, so I got it for 2500. Wasn't sure about it, but seemed like a really good opportunity, so I didn't want to pass it up.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It’s just mandatory on a class without gate

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Even on classes with gate it's awesome. Gives you more freedom with setting your bind to whatever content you're focusing on, and then whenever you need to travel you can hammer out and just about instantly meet up with your friends/guildies or find a port anywhere.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Wasn't there a potion that any class could use which cast Bind Affinity? Or did that come later?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
As far as I know, ring of the dead from thex mallet quest and later the locket of escape from the chief in droga are the only items that let non-casters bind in the classic era.

There are lots of variations on gate potions though.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

aparmenideanmonad posted:

As far as I know, ring of the dead from thex mallet quest and later the locket of escape from the chief in droga are the only items that let non-casters bind in the classic era.

There are lots of variations on gate potions though.

Maybe I was thinking of gate potions, I just remembered hearing something about that and thinking how cool it would be to teleport as a monk way back when I played on live

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hey does anyone know if there's anyone selling PoM coths on green these days? I occasionally have this urge to level a shaman, farm until my fingers fall off for torpor, then park him in plane of mischief and just derp around there indefinitely but I don't want to deal with having to actually raid ntov to get there and shamans aren't great for doing the ol' spicy pom run

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Maybe I was thinking of gate potions, I just remembered hearing something about that and thinking how cool it would be to teleport as a monk way back when I played on live

Shaman alchemy was always around, but dumb expensive. IIRC the base ingredients ran like 300-400pp per throw.

Alchemy was always one of those things that I wished was better. Like 50+% of what you made was just spirit of the wolf pots., most everything else was wildly situational or crazy expensive.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
Farmed up a Crookstinger for my new Bone Knight on Blue and I’m having a blast, can’t wait to hit 8 and get my proc spell and really start mowing through mobs! I’ve got some decent +HP gear and two 5/55 rings, any fun suggestions for DEX gear to start looking for when I get there? Got about 200pp to start with.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Good AC too: https://wiki.project1999.com/Cloak_of_Shadows
Also, for cheap: https://wiki.project1999.com/Grave_Sandals

truavatar fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 8, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fyodorovich posted:

Farmed up a Crookstinger for my new Bone Knight on Blue and I’m having a blast, can’t wait to hit 8 and get my proc spell and really start mowing through mobs! I’ve got some decent +HP gear and two 5/55 rings, any fun suggestions for DEX gear to start looking for when I get there? Got about 200pp to start with.
Assuming you mean Shadow Knight!

Other easy to find dex sources for that money are probably Executioner's Hood or Fire Emerald Electrum Bracelets, but the best use of 200 pp would be to buy a better weapon.

There's plenty that should be in budget that also have low level procs if that's floating your boat: iksar berserker club (7/18 1HB) or smoldering brand (9/22 1HB) are probably the best for <200pp.

Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood is the ultimate low level dmg proc weapon but it's out of your price range.

It's worth noting that SKs have a lot of options for good cheap weapons and a lot of weapon skills to keep leveled.

On the opposite side of things as far as procs, Sword of Skyfire (10/22 1HS) has an annoying high level proc but is a great leveling weapon. Poison Wind Censer (20/28 2HB) is in this category also but only functions as 10/28 level 1-9, 14/28 10-19, and hits full after level 20.

Nathsar Greatsword (17/30) or Ornate Runed Blade (19/30) are both great low delay 2HS for keeping that skill up as well.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Assuming you mean Shadow Knight!

Other easy to find dex sources for that money are probably Executioner's Hood or Fire Emerald Electrum Bracelets, but the best use of 200 pp would be to buy a better weapon.

There's plenty that should be in budget that also have low level procs if that's floating your boat: iksar berserker club (7/18 1HB) or smoldering brand (9/22 1HB) are probably the best for <200pp.

Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood is the ultimate low level dmg proc weapon but it's out of your price range.

It's worth noting that SKs have a lot of options for good cheap weapons and a lot of weapon skills to keep leveled.

On the opposite side of things as far as procs, Sword of Skyfire (10/22 1HS) has an annoying high level proc but is a great leveling weapon. Poison Wind Censer (20/28 2HB) is in this category also but only functions as 10/28 level 1-9, 14/28 10-19, and hits full after level 20.

Nathsar Greatsword (17/30) or Ornate Runed Blade (19/30) are both great low delay 2HS for keeping that skill up as well.

These are great recs but I’m running the goofy gnome necro who pumps DEX build :cheers:

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Yeah Bone Knight is the name thought up by players for a melee necro using lifetaps, procs, and banshee aura to 'melee'

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Fyodorovich posted:

My bone knight will sponsor your bone knight on Blue. You can have the gear I don't use anymore

For those not in the know, here's the gimmick https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368553&highlight=bone+knight

Some easy equipment options include Targishins Bone Mask, Green Silken Drape, Crystal Webshield (secondary with decent AC)

Pillow Armadillo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 8, 2022

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

I really want to try a bone knight. It sounds insane and fun.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Mine is only 28 at the moment, but one of the cool things about Vampiric Embrace is that it scales up as you level and seems to be enhanced by high dexterity.

Effectively, it adds a lifetap proc starting at level 12 that scales to your level+8 up to 72, I think, at 60. It's like having a second proc on your weapon. Had no problem soloing 1-28 so far with about 1k worth of gear.

I'm also learning that the small size of gnomes has some benefits, like being able to fit through the rock door in the Hole without a key and the ability to swim up waterfalls in Mines of Nurga and some other zones.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I used to play a necro on Mith Marr back in the day. The Bone Knight sounds really badass.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is the dumbest and coolest classic EQ thing I've heard in awhile.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm also learning that the small size of gnomes has some benefits, like being able to fit through the rock door in the Hole without a key and the ability to swim up waterfalls in Mines of Nurga and some other zones.

Not to mention seeing through walls and doors in a lot of places (halflings can do this too).

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Back in the day, i used to play as a lowbie gnome necro on one of the team pvp servers. The gnomes were locked in an endless back and forth with the elves of gfay. One side would raid the other's newbie area and then a retaliatory strike would be mustered to get them back.

Playing as a gnome there were a number of trees in gfay you could crawl next to and then up inside rendering you effectively invisible. So you'd lure some newbies out of spawn and then suddenly they'd get wrecked from the trees casting spells on them.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

They’re in the loving trees

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

an iksar marauder posted:

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Fine memories of being a lvl 8 gnome on Sullon Zek and some random wood elf druid teleporting in, ensnaring me with whatever the snare is that lasts like 30 minutes is, and then leaving.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

an iksar marauder posted:

i was like 13 and it felt like my personal vietnam. there was this weird vibe of comradery after being raided. we'd then form a posse and go raiding back.It was such a nothing, localized conflict that felt like the world. The dwarves were in our team but they never helped because they felt they were above it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FungiCap posted:

Fine memories of being a lvl 8 gnome on Sullon Zek and some random wood elf druid teleporting in, ensnaring me with whatever the snare is that lasts like 30 minutes is, and then leaving.

Another pro move was hitting them with a low level DOT that would very slowly kill them and make leveling impossible. Disease based ones worked well.

I also had a shaman bound in Kael who would pop outside, SOW, then zone in and train anyone in there

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The racial teams server was so fun but so poorly thought out. Team human had an unbreachable fortress in Western Antonica, team evil had Eastern Antonica, and Faydwer was a big goddamn mess. None of the Team Shorty races starting on Feydwer could SOW, so the early days of the server was Elves just running rampant with a bard playing Selo's and being completely untouchable by their enemies.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I can’t imagine the kind of sicko who enjoys the Wild West open pvp in EQ. Absolute sicko mode

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Rexicon1 posted:

I can’t imagine the kind of sicko who enjoys the Wild West open pvp in EQ. Absolute sicko mode

In classic? Its a really fun side thing to do off raid nights and makes Open world stuff a blast.

The teams servers made it more fun but I could also see making guild members non valid targets as a 2nd way to play.

Keep in mind, there is simply not a lot to do in Classic. Assuming guilds dont go psi-ops and make it so awful that you dont want to log in, you'll see wars all over the map and minimal places to hide.

After classic the DPS gets stupid, gear inflates, and those raiding top end simply dominate and kill all the sheep.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

Sullon Zek was created specifically to put as many of these degenerates in one spot as possible

Nothing like raiding and you see a bard hammering past you with Selo’s going and a train of 50 mobs deep

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Sullon Zek was created specifically to put as many of these degenerates in one spot as possible

Nothing like raiding and you see a bard hammering past you with Selo’s going and a train of 50 mobs deep

Fansy was a classic. Nothing like having a rule made on a supposedly no rules server specifically for something you did.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Zil posted:

Fansy was a classic. Nothing like having a rule made on a supposedly no rules server specifically for something you did.

For people who need to see this classic!

https://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I accidentally rolled on a PvP server when I started out (I think it was on the top of the list or I liked the god's name) and someone in Freeport asked if I wanted to hunt dark elves which I assumed were some sort of NPC and I got absolutely wrecked blind at night in EC. Re-rolled on whatever server a couple of guys at school were playing on after that.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

Tumpus the Bone Knight is almost level 12 and man, this rules. It’s been really fun leveling a gnome for the first time ever, Steamfont is the poo poo.

Probably going to move to sisters at 12 to save up some cash for some actual DEX gear. I’m at 125 currently, with only a couple pieces, and it feels pretty good but I wanna be ready for my Obsidian Shard at 16 and really start stacking those procs.

Playing this silly build has really reignited something for me and this dumb game; consolidating all my lowbie junk from several alts onto this toon has made the past several years of painfully casual grinding really feel like they’ve paid off lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Having fun playing this terrible old game again -- my god I forgot the patrolling instakill mobs and getting lost all the time, such crap game design, lol what a brutal slog.

Kinda regretting rolling on blue instead of green; they don't do transfers, do they?

Edit: Also is there an active goon guild on blue?

edit: guess not

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 22, 2022