Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7dFMbubxr4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

slot a resto staff and heavy attack and you're good next patch

I'm ready.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

slot a resto staff and heavy attack and you're good next patch

Are they nerfing two handed crit bonuses or something?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So... what the gently caress is this "medium weaving" I'm suddenly hearing about?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

1glitch0 posted:

So... what the gently caress is this "medium weaving" I'm suddenly hearing about?
“Medium attacks” are where you hold the button (instead of tapping it for a light attack) but you release it before it fully charges to a heavy attack and automatically goes off. It’s technically a heavy attack (there’s no actual medium attacks) but it doesn’t restore resources the way a fully charged version does.

Empower isn’t going to be increasing light attacks in the next patch, just heavy. It’s also going to be changing from a 40% boost to 80%. Oakensoul will permanently give Empower.

Medium weaving will be taking advantage of Empower applying to Heavy Attacks (and not just fully charged Heavy Attacks) to weave “medium” attacks in between other abilities instead of light attacks.

E: Now that I think about it I think this is something that was around when I started back in Tamriel Unlimited before Light Attacks were changed.

In my experience it’s easier to do with Bows, Dual Wield (specifically Daggers) and Inferno Staves than other weapons just due to how their animations work.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 9, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mercurius posted:

“Medium attacks” are where you hold the button (instead of tapping it for a light attack) but you release it before it fully charges to a heavy attack and automatically goes off. It’s technically a heavy attack (there’s no actual medium attacks) but it doesn’t restore resources the way a fully charged version does.

Empower isn’t going to be increasing light attacks in the next patch, just heavy. It’s also going to be changing from a 40% boost to 80%. Oakensoul will permanently give Empower.

Medium weaving will be taking advantage of Empower applying to Heavy Attacks (and not just fully charged Heavy Attacks) to weave “medium” attacks in between other abilities instead of light attacks.

E: Now that I think about it I think this is something that was around when I started back in Tamriel Unlimited before Light Attacks were changed.

In my experience it’s easier to do with Bows, Dual Wield (specifically Daggers) and Inferno Staves than other weapons just due to how their animations work.

Thanks. I dunno how i feel about that. I'm never quite sure I ever get light weaving perfect anyway.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

1glitch0 posted:

Thanks. I dunno how i feel about that. I'm never quite sure I ever get light weaving perfect anyway.
It's probably going to be a lot more annoying for people used to light attack weaving but if you're playing on the US servers from outside the US like I am you end up accidentally medium weaving a lot of the time due to latency anyway. I personally prefer it on the three weapons I mentioned but I hate the feel on the ones that have channeled attacks like resto/lightning staves.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Hopefully the juice isn't worth the squeeze for medium weaving. I probably won't bother with it.

Heavy attack resto though. I'm really surprised that went unchanged with the latest PTS patch.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

1glitch0 posted:

because you have to hold the key down medium weaving is easier to do than la weaving, however it's much harder to perfect because the ideal medium weave is skill cast time dependant. You want to hold for as long as possible while still being able to fit your next cast on the global cooldown.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Is there a Goon guild on PSN? I'm CP1325 but I'm still not geared up with False God's Devotion or any of the good poo poo beyond some monster sets, and I've been stuck at home sitting very still for almost two weeks due to a spinal injury I got from protecting a nurse at work from her attacker (Goddam right I'll play that sympathy card). And for nearly two weeks I keep getting the rare matchmaking hook up a couple times a day for veteran Banished Cells II, and every goddam time it gets to the final boss and nobody understands the mechanics of the fight. I spent 40 minutes with some guys this morning, no one went down even once in that fight, yet nobody could figure out to kill the things that healed the boss first. Anyways, I'm on PS5 as Frankenstyle66 if you're grinding for anything good, or want to help a sad broken man get his loving Maw of the Infernal.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Lord Frankenstyle posted:

Is there a Goon guild on PSN? I'm CP1325 but I'm still not geared up with False God's Devotion or any of the good poo poo beyond some monster sets, and I've been stuck at home sitting very still for almost two weeks due to a spinal injury I got from protecting a nurse at work from her attacker (Goddam right I'll play that sympathy card). And for nearly two weeks I keep getting the rare matchmaking hook up a couple times a day for veteran Banished Cells II, and every goddam time it gets to the final boss and nobody understands the mechanics of the fight. I spent 40 minutes with some guys this morning, no one went down even once in that fight, yet nobody could figure out to kill the things that healed the boss first. Anyways, I'm on PS5 as Frankenstyle66 if you're grinding for anything good, or want to help a sad broken man get his loving Maw of the Infernal.

Yeah, but they're dead. I can send you invites to them anyway. I also created Cult of Ythrl, although it's only me in it so far (I was an original Ythrlite and I can stand playing an MMO without the guild there somewhere. However my primary guild - LOK-Goonsquad - is a bunch of really cool peeps. I joined it because I assumed it was an SA guild, but it's not. I'll also shoot you an invite to that.

E: sent you a PSN friends request

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Is it possible to set a companion on passive stance or something that would avoid Ember from murdering citizens that assault me after I fail pickpocketing them? Getting a hefty bounty from her bloodthirsty tendencies

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Trogdos! posted:

Is it possible to set a companion on passive stance or something that would avoid Ember from murdering citizens that assault me after I fail pickpocketing them? Getting a hefty bounty from her bloodthirsty tendencies

This addon will auto-dismiss/resummon companions under various conditions, including when you crouch.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3044-FCOCompanion.html

Edit: Oh, wait, that's the companion that likes pickpocketing? Guess I don't know how to fix that, then.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 11, 2022

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Lord Frankenstyle posted:

LOK-Goonsquad is full. I'll shoot you an invite after an officer prunes someone. But I sent you the others.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a goon guild on PC?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Turkson posted:

Is there a goon guild on PC?
PCNA yes

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah it's Chill Bros Chat Lounge. Just post your username (the one with the @ you use to sign in, not your character name) here and a goon will invite you eventually.

It's pretty dead, tbh.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Do any guilds still have much in the way of text chat? I’m still a little nostalgic for my old huge WoW guild’s constant friendly chat going by. I guess everyone uses Discord but I never got used to having discord running while playing.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Snowy posted:

Do any guilds still have much in the way of text chat? I’m still a little nostalgic for my old huge WoW guild’s constant friendly chat going by. I guess everyone uses Discord but I never got used to having discord running while playing.

You can have 5 guilds, so yeah

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
If any of you are still in chill bros please take all the intricate decon poo poo that I keep filling the bank up with. I started vendoring what I get from writs today (except jewelry ofc) cause the bank was full and all of my characters are level 50 crafting on everything. I will dump a bunch of furnishing plans and motifs that are not worth my time to sell in there soon if there is room

<3

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Depends on the guild about text chat. Berke and I are both also members of the UESP guile and they have a pretty active chat most of the time.

I imagine though a guild more focused on PvP or trials would tend to congregate more on Discord.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I've been playing and enjoying this for a few days now and I'm lvl 21 as a magic sorc but I have something like 16 unspent skill points and I have no idea what the f to do with them. I can kill things easily but I can't imagine I'm doing things quite right with that many unspent points. I have a bar filled but I understand there's a second bar and I have zero idea what to put there. I guess what I'm asking is: is there a nice tutorial that actually understands that I'm utterly clueless about how to really approach combat and how to progress as a sorc? The reason I ask is that when I search youtube for videos they all assume I'm level 50 etc etc and I honestly barely understand a fifth of what they're saying. At some point I converted a skill to run off stamina which seems stupid but it works atm. Help me goons

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rapacity posted:

I've been playing and enjoying this for a few days now and I'm lvl 21 as a magic sorc but I have something like 16 unspent skill points and I have no idea what the f to do with them. I can kill things easily but I can't imagine I'm doing things quite right with that many unspent points. I have a bar filled but I understand there's a second bar and I have zero idea what to put there. I guess what I'm asking is: is there a nice tutorial that actually understands that I'm utterly clueless about how to really approach combat and how to progress as a sorc? The reason I ask is that when I search youtube for videos they all assume I'm level 50 etc etc and I honestly barely understand a fifth of what they're saying. At some point I converted a skill to run off stamina which seems stupid but it works atm. Help me goons
A lot of the skill trees are a bit weird in that they're heavily backloaded with extra skills/morphs/passives as you level up and it'll often take quite a while before you have viable stuff to spend those skills on. Picking up the skill lines from the various guilds will give you something to spend the points on and don't forget your own racial skills.

For secondary weapons what most people do is use a Bow for stamina builds and a Lightning Staff for magicka that has lots of damage over time effects/buffs that have a 10-20 duration. You can fire them all off in succession and then go back to whatever you're using as your main weapons to actually hit stuff in the face.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

With my Mag sorc I ended up doing double lightning staves since I use both pets as well. That way I still have a full selection of spells.

If you aren’t using pets then I guess you could do two different kinds of destruction staves.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Rapacity posted:

You do damage in 2 fundamental ways, casting skills and left click attacking with your weapon. You can also do damage with some sets that have a condition which, when met, does an effect. Those effects, like skills, can do other things like heal, provide buffs, etc. You can cast a skill once per second (kinda) and left click attacking has a 0.75s cooldown, these are separate cooldowns (kinda) with some buffer rules I'm not quite clear on, but the main idea is you don't want to just spam skills or attacks, if you do some things won't trigger. Instead you want to light attack, then cast a skill, then when a second is up, LA then cast, etc. This is weaving. You don't have to do this, you can just do the skill part and ignore the LA, but you're missing out on damage. heavy attacks restore resources matching weapon type (mag for staves, stam for others).

There are various types of skills:
class skills which depend on your class
weapon skills, that only work when you have that weapon equipped
other skill lines, from guiilds or from PVP etc

The fundamental way combat works is you should have some pure or primary damage skill, either class or weapon, which is the main thing you cast for big damage, you have damage/effect over time skills which you cast every x seconds, then you have utility skills (buffs/heals/etc) which you cast when needed. How you set up your bar depends on what you want to prioritize.

But, there's more. There are passive skills. These are always active, though some only trigger on a condition. You want all the class passives, all the passives on the weapons you're using, probably all or most of the passives of any other skill line you're using, armor passives, and all the racial passives. There are other non-combat passives like crafting etc but we'll leave those aside. Passives can boost you a lot, they can make some lovely seeming skills shine. They can make certain playstyles more useful than others, or certain skill rotations.

The idea of two bars is that the back bar is more for dots and utility skills, so you switch to it, cast what you need, then switch back to your primary. There's more to it than that, and there are other ways to use your 2 bars, but that's the basic concept.

Depending on what you've been doing you may not have skills unlocked to put those points in, but there are plenty of passives to spend points on. Late game you definitely have more skill points than you know what to do with, but right now you should have either things to put them into, or things you're waiting to unlock to put them into.

Stam and mag are really about resource management. Currently, while weapon and spell damage are separate stats, they scale off the highest resource, so using a mag skill if your primary resource is stam or vice versa is fine and just as effective as if your main resource was the other. It's definitely good to have one or a handful or off resource skills, just be careful that they're things you use sparingly, if you use them too much you'll run out of the resource. Pick one of stam or mag and put all your points into it.

The armory station lets you clear all your skill selections by loading a blank profile, so don't be afraid of testing things. You can also respec for a small amount of gold at a shrine in major cities whenever if you're actually putting builds in the armory.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Wow, that's a lot of info, thanks so much. I have tried out the second bar and I found that the summons disappear when switching so that's a pain. Good call on the armory station. I'll look into that because it sounds perfect. I'm not on my xbox right now so I can't check but how much do respecs cost?

e: I bought mage light and its extremely worthless. The dungeons are too freakin dark

Rapacity fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 15, 2022

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

magelight isn't really meant as a light. it's a) an invis reveal in pvp and b) something to slot to trigger the mages guild passives and give you extra mag and I think some other bonus I'm too lazy to lookup.

sorc pets need to be double barred to have them not deapawn. That's something unique to them (and warden bear.

respec is 50g per skill point, I think. Note that the cost is per skill point assigned, regardless of how many you're changing. You can also use the morph option and only respec morphs. this is cheaper cause you're only paying for the amount of morphs you have, and in most cases is all you'd want to do since you should have plenty of skill points.

There's more to combat than what I wrote, but it should give you a base to at least understand any guides you read. Also, I didn't mention dodge roll and block cost stam and are quite important in keeping you alive. Regardless of whether you go stam or mag, keep in mind you'll want some stam available for emergencies.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rapacity posted:

Wow, that's a lot of info, thanks so much. I have tried out the second bar and I found that the summons disappear when switching so that's a pain. Good call on the armory station. I'll look into that because it sounds perfect. I'm not on my xbox right now so I can't check but how much do respecs cost?

e: I bought mage light and its extremely worthless. The dungeons are too freakin dark

Also if you're on xbox (na), I can probably show you around a bit/hook you up with some goodies.

there's two of us now!

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011

DoriDori240 posted:

If any of you are still in chill bros please take all the intricate decon poo poo that I keep filling the bank up with. I started vendoring what I get from writs today (except jewelry ofc) cause the bank was full and all of my characters are level 50 crafting on everything. I will dump a bunch of furnishing plans and motifs that are not worth my time to sell in there soon if there is room

<3

I haven't logged in for a while but I did decon some ancestor silk clothes in there to skill up. Very grateful for it, thank you!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rapacity posted:

That's what I meant by using the same weapon type on both bars. If you want to run pets with 2 bars, you have to put the pet abilities on both bars, which eats up a bunch of spots. By running the same weapon on each, you get more of the non-pet slots.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Error 404 posted:

Also if you're on xbox (na), I can probably show you around a bit/hook you up with some goodies.

there's two of us now!

Sorry but I'm in EU. This game has really got its hooks into me but I cannot find a good sorc video. they say beginner sorc and then go into cp points which I understand are post max level. Just want a video showing someone actually levelling the class and showing the rotation/ points spent as they go.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rapacity posted:

Sorry but I'm in EU. This game has really got its hooks into me but I cannot find a good sorc video. they say beginner sorc and then go into cp points which I understand are post max level. Just want a video showing someone actually levelling the class and showing the rotation/ points spent as they go.
So you've got a couple of options as a magicka sorc while levelling.

The first which I'd probably recommend as you're starting out is to use your pets (put both of them on both weapon bars as mentioned before) and then use two lightning staves (or a lightning staff and a restoration staff if you're taking a lot of damage) and use the held down heavy attack to direct the pets to attack stuff. If you're going to go this route I'd recommend the Unstable Clannfear (a pretty solid tank with a healing spell) and the Twilight Matriarch (has a really big healing spell).

For your front bar (your primary weapon) you'll use class skills like Daedric Prey (a morph of Daedric Curse which is a debuff that makes your pets do more damage to the target), Hardened Ward for a big damage shield and then a spammable damage skill like Crystal Fragments (from Dark Magic) or Force Pulse (if you're using a destruction staff). For the back bar (your secondary weapon) I'd suggest picking up Critical Surge (a buff that makes all your crits heal you from Storm Calling), whichever morph of Wall of Elements from the destruction staff you like and then one of the morphs of lightning splash to give you another big area damage spell.

The basic idea here is that you start on your back bar and cast your Critical Surge buff followed by Wall of Elements/Lightning Splash on the ground where you'll be fighting stuff (using light attacks in between) and then you swap over to your front bar, cast Daedric Prey on your main enemy and then hold down the attack button to get your pets to hit it while doing AoE splash damage to everything else. You can use the skills for your pets to get them to cast their healing spells if you start to get low.

The other way to level the sorc is to not use pets and rely entirely on skills for damage/healing which is also fairly effective but involves micromanaging your skill usage a lot more. You'd take some other skills like Dark Bargain (trade your stamina for health/magicka) and Boundless Storm on your back bar and some more passive skills offering extra damage/magicka/protection such as Bound Aegis and Inner Light (from the Mages' Guild line).

The second method is honestly better for alts after you've got a decent amount of champion points to work with because they'll provide extra health/magicka/magicka sustain/crit/etc that a lot of the weapon skills really need to shine.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rapacity posted:

I'm going to say just play the game, you can't really break your character especially if you put your stat points into your chosen stat (magicka in your case then) and it's not really difficult until you get past 50 - and arguably past CP160 - anyway.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Free trial is up until the 29th if you've been meaning to check the game out. Also if you have inventory issues make 9 alt accounts and get yourself a personal guild bank
https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/free-trial

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Free trial is up until the 29th if you've been meaning to check the game out. Also if you have inventory issues make 9 alt accounts and get yourself a personal guild bank
https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/free-trial

Crowns are on sale too.

I would do the account thing but making 9 separate xbox accounts just for this sounds like madness.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

1glitch0 posted:

I would do the account thing but making 9 separate xbox accounts just for this sounds like madness.

The last time someone pointed out the possibility of making a private guild bank I was tempted but the first account I tried to make couldn’t log into eso for whatever reason so I gave up. Maybe I’ll give it another shot, I’d love to free up some space

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It took me 20 minutes last time I did it.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
how do you get saltwater bait?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Rapacity posted:

how do you get saltwater bait?
worms from plants: cloth plants and alchemy plants both drop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Oof, they may take a while to collect then.