Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'm rewatching Prey and I may have confused a couple things- I thought the foothold traps looked more modern than they should, I thought there were spent cartridges by the buffalo, and I guess these Comanche might be in Wyoming?

I forgot to mention I loved the Predator helmet looking more like a bleached bone and reminding me of a Wendigo without the antlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I think it was a cigar, not a cartridge, the leader of the fr*nch was smoking one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why censor French

So weird

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Maybe he hates Huguenots?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Internet memes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Why censor French

So weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhW7rpFhr2k

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
already been said enough, but chiming in as well because i finished watching prey and was pleasantly surprised. all we had to do is live through two plus decades' worth of poo poo to get another good film.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The title card struck me as kinda weirdly bad, also despite already being a slow burn and people like us knowing exactly what the movie is, I think they could have held the Predator reveal on a big longer. The first time they show it just kinda has nothing going on except "oh, it is a Predator"

Otherwise, it's nice to have a third good Predator movie after all this time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Predator is slowly working it’s way up the earth good chain, all while Naru is trying to prove to her tribe she can hunt.

Stuff was happening.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

brocked posted:

I'm rewatching Prey and I may have confused a couple things- I thought the foothold traps looked more modern than they should, I thought there were spent cartridges by the buffalo, and I guess these Comanche might be in Wyoming?

I forgot to mention I loved the Predator helmet looking more like a bleached bone and reminding me of a Wendigo without the antlers

Yeah, there are a few anachronisms and other weirdness that stand out if you're history nerd, largely that the Comanche in the film are in the northern plains/Rockies (it was filmed in the Canadian Rockies I'm pretty sure) rather than the southern plains of modern day Texas/New Mexico/Oklahoma where they actually lived.

Also there likely wouldn't be a bunch of slaughtered Buffalo around at this time - that was a practice that came much later along with the "Indian Wars" of the 19th century and Comanche territory in the early 18th century was part of Spanish north America and its quite unlikely there would have been French voyageurs in the area as they largely fur traded in the great lakes/Mississippi area of New France at that time.

I'm a Canadian indigenous person and get kinda excited about films that focus on North American indigenous protagonists in a historical setting and that's why I would have preferred there be no white people at all as it would have been more immersive given the time period it is set in. But needed extra dudes for body count or whatever.

As a movie though it was fun, better than I thought it was going to be given the last few turds in the franchise.

b0ner of doom fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 8, 2022

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It seems like it would be more difficult to do the mass killing of buffalo with the flintlocks being as slow as they were. The stuff they used later would make that all much easier.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. A couple of things about the design: I was watching Predator 2 because I hadn’t seen it in a long time and it’s on Disney Plus internationally. One of the predators at the end actually has a helmet that looks like an animal skull, kind of similar to the predator of Prey. I wonder if that’s where they got that idea. Re: the predator’s weapons. I took the homing darts as to just be the technology of the time, it takes place 250-300 years before the other movies. Or maybe not. Might just be what that predator liked to use. I saw someone say the director said it was a juvenile predator but we don’t ever really get any sense of that in the movie. I mean he kills a bear hand to hand and lifts it over his head. The flintlock pistol was kind of a weird call back in that where do the predators get it if Naru won the fight? I guess the pictograph credits sort of offer an explanation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Just caught Prey and I'm with the masses that are ranking it as the second best Predator movie after the original. I'd be down for a sequel since they seem to tease that at least a bit at the end. Definitely one of the better low dialogue "show don't tell" type of movies I've seen in awhile.

Alas it has no chance of catching up to the original for me in particular because I've seen Predator in a 3D home theater kind of situation (complete with special 3d-edition blu-ray) and it was dope as hell.

The reviews I saw seemed to suggest that it added a decent amount to the overall Predator mythos, but I didn't really pick up on those hints if they were there. I guess the flintlock pistol is a possible tie-in to Predator 2, but do any proper Pred-heads know any other ways it kind of did general worldbuilding in a "Oh hey, didn't know that was a thing with Predators" kind of way?

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 8, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was the first time the Predator showed up on earth, per official marketing, and we got to see him slowly try and understand the food chain and eco system.

Hence why he has no plasma casters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

It was the first time the Predator showed up on earth, per official marketing.

That's obviously untrue, since the dorks from AVP have a triceratops skull.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
If you guys are students, you qualify for Hulu student discount for $1.99 a month, and you can cancel anytime. That's worth one watching of Prey, and I'm gonna convince some friends to watch it again with me, cause no one wanted to watch it the first time. Also, now I can watch Orville as everyone keeps talking about that show.

As far as Prey, I loved it, watched the Comanche version and the dubbed was fine, just a few times it was off, but not glaring or anything. I still like Predator 2 a lot(Predator 1 is my favorite of course), just cause I like Danny Glover a lot, but I'd say this was on par with Predator 2. I pretty much hated or was bored with all the other Predator movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was disappointed they updated the cloaking tech effect with cg, I miss the heat wave distortion look of the original.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

I was disappointed they updated the cloaking tech effect with cg, I miss the heat wave distortion look of the original.

yea but that's a tough one, since the original was made decades ago. prometheus has the same problem; despite being decades(?) before alien, everything looks a lot more futuristic / advanced.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

brocked posted:

b0ner of doom posted:

Yeah, there are a few anachronisms and other weirdness that stand out if you're history nerd, largely that the Comanche in the film are in the northern plains/Rockies (it was filmed in the Canadian Rockies I'm pretty sure) rather than the southern plains of modern day Texas/New Mexico/Oklahoma where they actually lived.

Also there likely wouldn't be a bunch of slaughtered Buffalo around at this time - that was a practice that came much later along with the "Indian Wars" of the 19th century and Comanche territory in the early 18th century was part of Spanish north America and its quite unlikely there would have been French voyageurs in the area as they largely fur traded in the great lakes/Mississippi area of New France at that time.

I'm a Canadian indigenous person and get kinda excited about films that focus on North American indigenous protagonists in a historical setting and that's why I would have preferred there be no white people at all as it would have been more immersive given the time period it is set in. But needed extra dudes for body count or whatever.

As a movie though it was fun, better than I thought it was going to be given the last few turds in the franchise.

My (limited) understanding is that the Comanche started as part of the Wyoming Shoshone before moving south to the plains, thought there might be a nod to this relocation at the end when she says they need to move to a better area. I may be talking rubbish though.
Totally agree it would have been better with no white people at all, but it did allow some good "look at how lovely these absolute fuckers are" stuff.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

EmptyVessel posted:

My (limited) understanding is that the Comanche started as part of the Wyoming Shoshone before moving south to the plains, thought there might be a nod to this relocation at the end when she says they need to move to a better area. I may be talking rubbish though.
Totally agree it would have been better with no white people at all, but it did allow some good "look at how lovely these absolute fuckers are" stuff.

YYeah, you're correct as it is believed the Comanche expanded/relocated in the early 18th century, so if its a nod to that its fine - though it goes back to my point that there wouldn't really have been any white people in that area in 1719 so I wish they didn't include them.

They could have included another indigenous nation if they wanted a foil/antagonist whatever - it would have been more fitting and immersive given the historical time period the film situates itself in.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's obviously untrue, since the dorks from AVP have a triceratops skull.

I always wondered about this because it doesn't look old at all. But then again Predators could easily have skull-preserving tech. Seems right up their alley, honestly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some science nerd predator found it buried in the dirt and was like "I totally killed this thing guys"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I always wondered about this because it doesn't look old at all. But then again Predators could easily have skull-preserving tech. Seems right up their alley, honestly.

They must have something like that. We already see in the first (maybe second?) movie that the predator has a portable bone-cleaning system so it can add shiny flesh-free skulls to its outfit in the field.

I got drunk and watched Prey last night, absolutely loved it. Loved Naru, loved the dog, loved seeing those French trappers get theirs, loved the 'show not tell' nature of the film building up Naru's endgame strategy.

One thing I don't get is the flintlock pistol thing. How does the predator in II end up with it if Naru has it? Did I just completely miss that Raphael was carrying two of them? Or is this some implicit sequel thing? Seems like a flimsy thing to balance the possibility of a sequel on; the implication either way is that the predator wins and keeps the pistol.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They stole it from a museum like two years before the movie took place.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

They must have something like that. We already see in the first (maybe second?) movie that the predator has a portable bone-cleaning system so it can add shiny flesh-free skulls to its outfit in the field.

I got drunk and watched Prey last night, absolutely loved it. Loved Naru, loved the dog, loved seeing those French trappers get theirs, loved the 'show not tell' nature of the film building up Naru's endgame strategy.

One thing I don't get is the flintlock pistol thing. How does the predator in II end up with it if Naru has it? Did I just completely miss that Raphael was carrying two of them? Or is this some implicit sequel thing? Seems like a flimsy thing to balance the possibility of a sequel on; the implication either way is that the predator wins and keeps the pistol.

Alternately, Naru gives them the pistol and they give her like a sweet spear or something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mister Speaker posted:

The implication is that they defeat Naru or are given it as tribute.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mister Speaker posted:

You said you were drunk, so I'd assume you weren't paying attention to the illustrations playing during the credits. They basically retold the entire film in pictorials, ending with Naru presenting the predator head to her tribe leader and becoming war chief. Shortly after, a final animated pictorial shows 3 predator ships descending on Naru's tribe. They almost certainly came down to pay tribute to Naru for her being able to kill one of their own, and likely gave Naru some sort of trophy and Naru gave them the pistol in trade.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

It's.. fine. Like, it's a fine movie and I can't fault anyone for really liking it, but it's maybe a 6 out of 10?

Just a lot of little stuff together that adds up to eye rolling. Thrown axe that always impacts blade first, and the laughable thirty foot rope yank directly into the hand thing.

A skinny guy going toe to toe with Predator hand weapons, while he's using bone and wood and stone. Against an eight foot creature of solid muscle that literally lifts a grizzly above it's head after killing it in what is basically a wrestling match. But now this thin dude who's half a body shorter and at least 300 pounds lighter is SO GOOD that Mr Preddy has to go invisible and sneak around behind him - pretty antithetical to how Predators have been portrayed when it comes to this kind of fighting.

He's so quick to react and adapt and flow in all these combat situations.. and then he can't put two and two together when his own lasers are on his face.

Oh and also the magic plants that let you drop your body temperature to the surrounding environment with seemingly no negative effects.

It seems like nitpicking until you add all this stuff up and then that's the tone of the movie. Never felt the main character was in any real danger, and I put it about 75% of the dog surviving while watching.

It's probably somewhere in the middle. Predator, Predator 2, Predators, this, the rest.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

teagone posted:

illustrations playing during the credits.

You're right I totally missed this, thanks!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

It's.. fine. Like, it's a fine movie and I can't fault anyone for really liking it, but it's maybe a 6 out of 10?

Just a lot of little stuff together that adds up to eye rolling. Thrown axe that always impacts blade first, and the laughable thirty foot rope yank directly into the hand thing.

A skinny guy going toe to toe with Predator hand weapons, while he's using bone and wood and stone. Against an eight foot creature of solid muscle that literally lifts a grizzly above it's head after killing it in what is basically a wrestling match. But now this thin dude who's half a body shorter and at least 300 pounds lighter is SO GOOD that Mr Preddy has to go invisible and sneak around behind him - pretty antithetical to how Predators have been portrayed when it comes to this kind of fighting.

He's so quick to react and adapt and flow in all these combat situations.. and then he can't put two and two together when his own lasers are on his face.

Oh and also the magic plants that let you drop your body temperature to the surrounding environment with seemingly no negative effects.

It seems like nitpicking until you add all this stuff up and then that's the tone of the movie. Never felt the main character was in any real danger, and I put it about 75% of the dog surviving while watching.

It's probably somewhere in the middle. Predator, Predator 2, Predators, this, the rest.

I basically agree with this, though a bit less harshly. I think it was a fine, perfectly cromulent film, but it was visually quite dull and thematically very thin without the aggressive stylistic flair and thick atmosphere of 1 and 2 to make up for it. And I really do think the poor CGI damages the final product.

That said I’d definitely take a sequel with a higher budget.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I thought it was funny how she comes back to her tribe with this mythical monster’s head and everyone kind of reacts the same way as her brother coming back with the mountain lion head. I feel like the appropriate reaction would be “Yo what the gently caress is that?????”

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's a demon. They said that a bunch of times. What would be interesting to me is how its appearance affected their whole tribe's mythology, and you'd think they'd save the skull. Anyway...

I still think the most laughably implausible predator vs. human matchup was Adrien Brody (though I really did enjoy Predators). I don't care that he's supposed to be some mercenary ex-IDF guy or whatever, they should have made him take at least some steroids for the shirtless fight at the end.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Predator Movie Power Rankings:

Predator
Prey
Predators
Predator 2

big gap

Alien vs Predator Requiem
Alien vs Predator

even bigger gap

The Predator.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

It's a demon. They said that a bunch of times. What would be interesting to me is how its appearance affected their whole tribe's mythology, and you'd think they'd save the skull. Anyway...

You’ve heard of demons before. And probably have some idea of what one would look like with the tons of media on the subject. But if you actually saw a severed “demon” head your reaction wouldn’t be “oh how nice. You killed a demon.”

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

This sounds like complaining that Batman's batarangs successfully hit his targets when he throws three at once or something. Like, what? It's literally just showing that she is very talented.

I thought there was some discussion when she first used the flowers that they were actually extremely dangerous, because they're basically inducing some kind of hypothermia, but they were worth the risk.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Justin Credible posted:

Rule of cool.

Mister Speaker posted:

In the old Predator comics it’s outright stated in several of them that a bunch of random folklore and urban legends throughout history can be traced back to Predator sightings. Japanese “Oni”, Spring Heeled Jack, miscellaneous Native American and African folklore, etc.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mister Speaker posted:

I still think the most laughably implausible predator vs. human matchup was Adrien Brody (though I really did enjoy Predators). I don't care that he's supposed to be some mercenary ex-IDF guy or whatever, they should have made him take at least some steroids for the shirtless fight at the end.

I think I would take him over a 100 year old Danny Glover in a fistfight

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I watched the Comanche dub and got a laugh out of the subtitle translation “I have to go the bathroom.” Ah yes, the famed Comanche bathrooms.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

david_a posted:

Danny was in full too old for this poo poo manac mode, with a one armed Predator that had just gotten frozen, shot multiple times point blank with a shotgun, and then it ran at 60 mph 5 miles back to the ship. Then he was still goofing around and Danny just happened to have his Predator dicking around just at the right spot when he was down, haha.

Darko fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 9, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, Brody has typical 'actor body': he looks like he does a lot of push-ups and crunches and not much else. Of course why would he need to, that was the closest thing to a Hollywood action star role he'll ever see (until they finally take my advice and make a Spy VS Spy movie where he plays both roles).

My money's still on Danny. Weight classes exist for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

david_a posted:

Danny Glover kicked the most rear end out of anyone in a Predator movie.