Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Marcus Aurelius ' meditations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hubbert posted:

if anyone has any good contemporary book recommendations please let me know, thank you

:kiddo:

Idk if it's good since I haven't gotten around to it yet but I put this on my reading list bc it looked interesting

Hurricane Lizards and Plastic Squid

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

You asked, Congress delivered. The new EV tax credits are now extra means-tested!

I can't tell if this is a joke or not because means testing the tax credit that exists as a mArKeT bAsEd solution to EV adoption/building an EV industry is extremely on brand

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/revealed-car-industry-s-secret-emissions-plan-would-slow-electric-vehicle-uptake-20220805-p5b7pe.html

quote:

The car industry has launched a wide-ranging secret campaign that would delay Australia’s transition to electric vehicles and hamper a key part of the nation’s climate change plan, confidential documents show.

The lobbying and public relations strategy, circulated in recent weeks among top motoring executives, aims to limit any new fuel efficiency standards to a level that would leave Australia’s car industry with some of the weakest carbon emission rules in the world.

It is just absolutely wild how even the most modest moves against climate change - things that would actually achieve next to nothing - are still relentlessly opposed. Lol and, if I may be allowed a followup, Lmao

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Torpor posted:

I thought we were trying to keep it under 1.5C now it’s 3?

What are we even currently at? Because things already don't seem great

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Parts of Jersey is already at +2

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

CODChimera posted:

What are we even currently at? Because things already don't seem great

We're somewhere between 1 and 1.5

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not because means testing the tax credit that exists as a mArKeT bAsEd solution to EV adoption/building an EV industry is extremely on brand

The long and short is that the new car EV tax credit is only available if you make under $150k, and the used EV tax credit is only available if you make under $75,000. So if you make between $75k and $150k you have to buy new if you want to use the credit!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mayor Dave posted:

We're somewhere between 1 and 1.5

Not great not terrible

Hold on... I'm being told... I can now inform you it actually is terrible.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I feel like it's way too confusing keeping track of it. Is it +1 over 1900, is it +1.5 over pre-industrial average, no one can keep track of this poo poo.

I propose we set a clean boundary of the year 2000. It's a nice round number everyone can get their heads around, and it was within most people's lifetimes so it gives the numbers real world relevance so we can all better understand what's going on.

Looks like we're +0.3 or something like that. Seems fine, I don't care, that's like a rounding error. Who wants burgers?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's 1.5C over pre-industrial, minimally, and 1.2C over 1950-1981 baseline, also minimally.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hubbert posted:

if anyone has any good contemporary book recommendations please let me know, thank you

:kiddo:
i just finished our final warning by Mark Lynas

all these books are out of date the second they're published, but Lynas seems to get that, since that book is his second edition of a book published in 2007; he felt the need to update it since things changed so quickly after publication

i've read a lot of climate change books. this was a doozie

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

The long and short is that the new car EV tax credit is only available if you make under $150k, and the used EV tax credit is only available if you make under $75,000. So if you make between $75k and $150k you have to buy new if you want to use the credit!

a used ev seems like a good way to get stuck with a dead or degraded battery

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
even used EVs are like 20k and I don’t think it’s a good idea to spend a quarter of your yearly income on a car, but that’s just me.

also it’s just gonna make used EVs more expensive up front.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Lmao

I don't have to say in this thread that EVs will do nothing to solve climate change but lmao that the Dems, who theoretically believe that EVs are the answer to climate change, are so ideologically opposed to giving money to people that they can't even subsidize industries anymore.

The US economy is planned through these types of market based incentives. Huge subsidies are given to the oil industry, to aerospace, to pharmaceuticals, to automotive, and other poo poo like that. This has been done for decades now as a way of reinforcing American dominance on certain industries. The Dems are so ideologically opposed to giving out money to anyone who isn't a billionaire that anything that they can't even accomplish that lovely goal anymore

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
apparently also the ev needs to contain no parts sourced from china, which china is the main manufacturer of things like ev batteries

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
^yup

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/most-electric-vehicles-wont-qualify-for-federal-tax-credit/ar-AA10tyLS?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

quote:

Most electric vehicles won't qualify for federal tax credit

DETROIT (AP) — A tax credit of up to $7,500 could be used to defray the cost of an electric vehicle under the Inflation Reduction Act now moving toward final approval in Congress. But the auto industry is warning that the vast majority of EV purchases won’t qualify for a tax credit that large.

That's mainly because of the bill's requirement that, to qualify for the credit, an electric vehicle must contain a battery built in North America with minerals mined or recycled on the continent.

And those rules become more stringent over time — to the point where, in a few years, it's possible that no EVs would qualify for the tax credit, says John Bozzella, CEO of the Alliance of Automotive Innovation, a key industry trade group. As of now, the alliance estimates that about 50 of the 72 electric, hydrogen or plug-in hybrid models that are sold in the United States wouldn't meet the requirements.

“The $7,500 credit might exist on paper," Bozzella said in a statement, “but no vehicles will qualify for this purchase over the next few years.”

The idea behind the requirement is to incentivize domestic manufacturing, build a robust battery supply chain in North America and lessen the industry's dependence on overseas supply chains that could be subject to disruptions.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I think its neat how A Christmas Carol depicts London as a frozen over and snowy place, how whimsical

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

all western conceptions of a 'white christmas' come from a ~200 year period of cooler weather that led to regular snow in southern england, which overlapped with the victorian era and their ideas about children and youth as something other than "cheap labor" and "thing that might die"

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/euronewsgreen/status/1556960625384890374
https://twitter.com/euronewsgreen/status/1556962150849060868

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

time to go seek out glacial melt for my cold brew coffee i guess

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the teflon in the water means that the microplastics will just slide right off my cells and not cause any damage

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lmao rainwater barrels are supposed to be safe

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

https://www.livescience.com/hundreds-of-new-microbes-found-in-melting-glaciers :unsmigghh:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Glacial melt is fine if you cut it with that black coffin mummy juice

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i use a Brita™ I'm sure I'm fine

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Me with a blowtorch 200ft down a DIY borehole in Greenland

"mmm now that's a good cup o' joe"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Simply capture the water, evaporate it, and capture it again. Easy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Simply capture the water, evaporate it, and capture it again. Easy
what is rain

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

this thread is way too loving anti-nautilus

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

anyone remember the good old days of 2021 when it was only the great lakes region that rained PFAS? look how far we've come

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Lol these are the same chemicals that caused mystery GI and pancreatic issues in the people that live around there Dupont plants in WV. Hope your grandkids like variant pancreas diseases!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Great lakes still has a leg up on everyone else in using fracking cum to salt our roads

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Mike the TV posted:

Lol these are the same chemicals that caused mystery GI and pancreatic issues in the people that live around there Dupont plants in WV. Hope your grandkids like variant pancreas diseases!

Don't forget about the 700 military bases that sprayed this stuff everywhere

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

and that's why i only drink Fiji™ water

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Good news!!

https://www.statnews.com/2022/08/08/study-connects-climate-hazards-to-infectious-diseases/

Study connects climate hazards to 58% of infectious diseases

quote:

Climate hazards such as flooding, heat waves, and drought have worsened more than half of the hundreds of known infectious diseases in people, including malaria, hantavirus, cholera, and anthrax, a study says.

Sorry i meant bad news. Bad news is what i meant to type there.

But there is some good news:

quote:

In addition to looking at infectious diseases, the researchers expanded their search to look at all type of human illnesses, including non-infectious sicknesses such as asthma, allergies, and even animal bites to see how many maladies they could connect to climate hazards in some way, including infectious diseases. They found a total of 286 unique sicknesses and of those 223 of them seemed to be worsened by climate hazards, nine were diminished by climate hazards and 54 had cases of both aggravated and minimized, the study found.

Sorry, my bad, that was more bad news there :doh:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Erghh posted:

That's mainly because of the bill's requirement that, to qualify for the credit, an electric vehicle must contain a battery built in North America with minerals mined or recycled on the continent.

The idea behind the requirement is to incentivize domestic manufacturing, build a robust battery supply chain in North America and lessen the industry's dependence on overseas supply chains that could be subject to disruptions.

Saving the environment by creating more mines

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Dog Case posted:

Saving the environment by creating more mines

you mean humanities future home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

apparently also the ev needs to contain no parts sourced from china, which china is the main manufacturer of things like ev batteries

Holy poo poo that is loving stupid