Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m traveling so I packed my Missouri meerschaum hardwood pipes and these things are just delightful. The Medico filters are quite nice as well.

Yesterday was a bit of a bum day for cigars, I had a La Antiguedad and a DPG Cuban Classic. The first of which was not very good, the latter was adequate. I haven’t had them before, so at least I know now!

I did have a My Father Vegas Cubanas the other day that was really great - nailed that Monte pencil shavings flavor it was lots of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I’m glad that the “Monte pencil shavings flavor” has been added to our lexicon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

How else do you describe it????

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Blend Review: Presbyterian Mixture
It’s really good. It’s kinda sorta like Golden Sliced and Early Morning Pipe had a baby. I’m pretty bad at tasting notes, to be honest. But if you like Virginias and English blends as I do, then definitely check out Presbyterian. It’s what I would consider a Virginia-forward English. A “Va-takia,” if you would.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I love Presbyterian, I haven’t had it in a minute - I found it to be more Balkan like if that gives you a fresh keyword! Rainer Levant is one of my favorites.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Presby is very good agreed. I gave some away because it was biting me, but I should have just kept it and let it age.

If you like light Englishes, try out Chelsea Morning. That stuff is excellent with coffee, and with a year or two of age it's spectacular.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hayden posted:

Mr. Wiggles, I demand pictures of said Tiki Bar, when it's complete.

Also, check out Smuggler's Cove if you haven't, great Tiki Book.

I also haven't gotten a smoke in in a while. It's hot in the swamp, y'all.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg0UPHrJAj2/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Opened today!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hahaha holy poo poo that rules!

I’m super enjoying a bowl of Boswell Northwoods tonight. I’m also getting more Missouri meerschaum pipes. I’ve been smoking the Heck out of them lately.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

NewFatMike posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo that rules!

I’m super enjoying a bowl of Boswell Northwoods tonight. I’m also getting more Missouri meerschaum pipes. I’ve been smoking the Heck out of them lately.

Northwoods is such a great blend. Smoked a bowl of Mississippi River I found in a box in the back of my closet that has to be at least 10 years old. It's mellowed the latakia and perique so much that it just tastes like a lightly cased Virginia now.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anyone know a shop online that has Ennerdale, Grousemoor, or Squadron Leader from Gawith in stock? Seems like everyone on the planet is out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How much of the Gawith stock issue is the general lovely global supply chain, and how much of it is Brexit? Legitimately have no idea.

Anyway, I recently found a store here in Europe that stocks Cornell & Diehl and G.L. Pease (though with a sorta limited-ish selection I think). If I were to buy four 2 oz tins of C&D, which should I get? Taste-wise I prefer Virginias but I'm still very much a newbie even though I've done pipes and cigars off and on (nearly always off) for the last 15 years or so, and aromatics are also totally fine.

So far my shortlist for the first order is:

Autumn Evening
Gentleman Caller
Something from the "Simply Elegant" series but I can't decide what
Maybe Blockade Runner?

I'm probably limited to 4 tins mainly because the shop is in Switzerland and there are still duties etc. when shipping from Switzerland into the EU, an 250g is generally the upper limit that you can get away with on an order according to what I've been reading. I wanted to give the much-hyped Haunted Bookshop a try, but that stockist doesn't carry it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

In Reno for a change and to celebrate escaping the Vegas heat I'm sitting down on the porch with a nice big boxpress Serie G and a glass of rum. Cigars really do taste different when you're not sweating onto them.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Anyone know a shop online that has Ennerdale, Grousemoor, or Squadron Leader from Gawith in stock? Seems like everyone on the planet is out.

It seems to release pretty rarely in the Statea, I know at least last year they had issues with the tins or something.

Drone posted:

Autumn Evening
Gentleman Caller
Something from the "Simply Elegant" series but I can't decide what
Maybe Blockade Runner?

Gentleman Caller is awesome, deer tongue is super unique. I've heard good things about Opening Night from the Simply Elegant series but haven't got around to trying my tin of it yet.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Also +1 for gentlemen caller - I’m a tobacco weird so I’m glad other folks are recommending it!

I enjoy Autumn Evening from C&D as well, but I has this candy corn note that keeps me from smoking it all the time.

I’ll try some international shops for more G&H - I did find a spot that’s got most of what I’m looking for. I’m just gonna get the 500g bag of Ennerdale as soon as I find one.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Also +1 for gentlemen caller

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve got a grip of Sam Gawith coming in tomorrow - Grousemoor, Squadron Leader, Perfection, Full Virginia, and Commonwealth Mixture. I’ve been a massive fan of Ennerdale and Stonehenge Flake so I’m quite amped for the rest!

Also have some My Father Vegas Cubanas coming in. The toro from one of the samplers is a dead ringer for a Montecristo like Cuban, so hopefully the corona is similar!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Commonwealth mixture will make you literally do a chef's kiss as you're smoking it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah commonwealth is pretty good.

Though since this last trip to France I've really been digging on Chacom blends. #3 is my favorite I've decided, very Cavendish but with more complexity. Worth trying if you can find it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh dang smoking pipes has #1-4 listed and they all sound fabulous. I’ll check them out!

I had a My Father Vega Cubana from one of the fresh pack samplers and it was so good I tried ordering a full box of Coronas which just came in about a half hour ago.

It’s super enjoyable. The toro from the sampler would be an easy mistake for a Cuban on a blind taste. The Montecristo pencil stabbing flavor was strong there and is quite strong here.

I’m very excited to have one over coffee in the morning - I think it’ll be genius. The stick gets a blanket recommend, please do try one.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Get you some Sobremesa Brulees, stat. What a killer stick.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Picked up some Flor de Selva Siesta petit coronas. I've never had anything from them but it was a good surprise! Creamy, toasty, sort of sweet. A nice quick smoke for sure.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I couldn’t decide which one to smoke first so I went with Perfection - how can you not?

This tobacco absolutely fucks my guys holy COW. It’s creamy, spicy, gorgeous Latakia smoke. I think there’s some cavendish in here? Goddamn I wish it weren’t such a pain to get my hands on it. It’s the first English mixture I can confidently draw the link to actual Plum Pudding dessert. It’s like instead of soaking it in brandy they used Laphraoig. Fantastic.

E: Full Virginia was quite pleasant. I’m on Commonwealth now, and while not blowing my hair back like Perfection, it is super super good. Much more like Night Cap or Presbyterian than the wrecking ball that’s Perfection.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 13, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Has anyone here tried the Dunbarton Stillwell Star line? I sort of want to try one of each of them, but also curious if it's just a novelty. Saka is pretty serious about his tobacco, but at the same time I don't want to buy a bunch of gimmick sticks...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still have too much pipe tabak. I bought these from 2006-2012 and one from 2017.

Is it legal to put these on SA Mart ?

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 21, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ah, Old Gowrie. After all my years of pipe smoking, still my favorite.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ll have to check it out! I’ve got a few tins of EMP out for delivery today which I’m very excited about - probably my favorite idle smoking blend so far.

I also managed to snag a box of Tatuaje Verocu Blue - it’s using a ‘99 corojo rosado wrapper over the blend. I’m very excited to try it. It’ll be delivered today, too!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Keyser_Soze posted:

I still have too much pipe tabak.

I’m working for more info here:
1) Are these unopened tins you haven’t smoked yet from a stash/already smoking/fresh new finds in a dusty corner of a b&m or secondhand online?

and

2) if the last, where did you locate them and how much were they?

Just curious because it’s been so long since Dunhill sold its tobacco and tin”art” to Peterson, and I still have a couple of unopened tins of different Dunhills around too and just wanted to commiserate 🥲 and :hfive: .

Also, the Peterson era-replacements are good enough to take away the sting, but sometimes even the new versions are hard/expensive to source. I’m always interested in seeing links to some community or store that I may not have found yet. I love & miss (& hoard!)my OG tobaccos, but the prices and rarity of unopened tins have kept me from buying any originals over at least the Covid-era tobacco market. The whole world has sucked since then, though, except for the schadenfreude of the cryptocurrency bubble deflating slowly which is at least fun to read on SA anyways.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’m working for more info here:
1) Are these unopened tins you haven’t smoked yet from a stash/already smoking/fresh new finds in a dusty corner of a b&m or secondhand online?

and

2) if the last, where did you locate them and how much were they?

Just curious because it’s been so long since Dunhill sold its tobacco and tin”art” to Peterson, and I still have a couple of unopened tins of different Dunhills around too and just wanted to commiserate 🥲 and :hfive: .

Also, the Peterson era-replacements are good enough to take away the sting, but sometimes even the new versions are hard/expensive to source. I’m always interested in seeing links to some community or store that I may not have found yet. I love & miss (& hoard!)my OG tobaccos, but the prices and rarity of unopened tins have kept me from buying any originals over at least the Covid-era tobacco market. The whole world has sucked since then, though, except for the schadenfreude of the cryptocurrency bubble deflating slowly which is at least fun to read on SA anyways.

I bought them all from the various pipe websites between mostly 2006-2012. All unopened and stored in ziplocks/tupperware in a dark cool cabinet for years. The McClelland Aniv with the green wax in 2017, the brown wax is 2010 the OG 2009 and stuff like the Jubilee from 2006. I don't think I've bought cigars since 2017 either and still have 100 of them, and holy crap looking at the prices/stock on COH makes my head hurt.

The Dunhill's are 2011 and 2012 when I think Dunhill was making them again. It's weird how time flies. :chord:

lol, is this kind of stuff really going on? https://4noggins.com/collections/consignment-tins/products/mcclelland-40th-anniversary-100g-c

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Peterson Early Morning Pipe owns. Fresh cracked tin with all of two minutes of dry time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Another thing I miss is McClelland. What a wonderful producer they were.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

NewFatMike posted:

Peterson Early Morning Pipe owns. Fresh cracked tin with all of two minutes of dry time.

Definitely! I’ve been much happier with the Peterson “replacements” than the bulk versions made available when Dunhill hiccuped supply in the ‘00s. They were decent, but didn’t really taste like the original tobaccos. The Peterson versions are a tiny bit different (except for Royal Yacht, which has neither the flavor or nicotine of the Dunhill) which happened even to the official Dunhill tins over multiple-year periods of every day use. I’m satisfied enough not to bitch, but sometimes it’s hard to source even the Peterson tins these days. And I’m part of the problem: multi-buying stock if I catch them available even when I have sealed tins at home already.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

LOL ya’ll. I just cracked a tin of Eileen’s Dream. I’ll keep ya posted. Tin note is: baby’s first pipe tobacco. Feels like it will need to dry for… ever. I’ll probably love it. Gonna smoke it out of a looooong stem cob pipe.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Ok here we go. CAO Eileen’s Dream. “Irish cream + white chocolate truffles.” Tin note is true to the description. Smells like BCA and 1Q got drunk on spiced rum and tag-teamed a cream-filled doughnut. Not that they had a baby, you are smelling the sex smells. Anyhow pretty sweet smelling stuff.

Looks to be about 95% “black cavendish” and about 5% regular old Virginia lookin stuff.

I chickened out. Was gonna throw it in the MM Lucky 7 (a long fucker to be sure) but opted for the much shorter smoke (in time and space) of the ol’ trusty MM Mizzou. Packed using a sloppy Frank method after about 30 minutes of drying, 10 of which I put the tobacco between paper towels. Accompanying beverage is lukewarm Miller Light(s) (great taste, less filling).

Lighting… now.

To be continued…

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 26, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

It’s not a sweet as I expected…

It actually manages to be less over-powering flavor wise than 1Q or BCA, despite the tin note.

My wife says the room (deck) note does smell strongly of Irish cream.

Getting some grassy Virginia notes intermingled with Irish cream in the flavor. A bit of malt.

First impressions: Not awful. Has potential.

Later impressions (end of first bowl): I will finish the tin. It’s good enough to enjoy smoking. Highly unlikely that I ever get more. I probably wouldn’t recommend it to someone looking for a nice aromatic. I feel like a clown saying this, but I kind of want more of the tin-note to come through in the flavor. At this point I would probably rate this below 1Q. When I decide it’s time for an aromatic I want to taste it. By the end this is like when you suck all the flavor syrup out of a snow cone and just have ice left.

I wouldn’t say it pairs very well with Miller Light either. Mustache smells pretty good, but not as good as 1Q.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 26, 2022

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Decided to give cigar page a try, ordered on the 24th. The 25th, I got 6 different emails advertising some kind of deal or sale, which is a little ridiculous but w/e I unsubscribed. Got a tracking # on Friday, 2 days after I placed the order, which ain't bad for a small business. Tracking # today still shows that USPS hasn't gotten the package. I'm honestly not sure if I'm spoiled by Amazon or what here but the wait time for it to just leave the place and get to the post office seems kinda silly, is this normal for them? Doesn't seem like I'll get the package this week.

Any recommendations for somewhere closer to Florida/less chuddy that I can buy from? I'd also love some recommendations on cheap entry-level stuff to try, I don't really know what I like but I'm down to buy a few dozen kinds to find out.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

ComradePyro posted:

Any recommendations for somewhere closer to Florida/less chuddy that I can buy from? I'd also love some recommendations on cheap entry-level stuff to try, I don't really know what I like but I'm down to buy a few dozen kinds to find out.

Small Batch Cigar is in CA, but will have your sticks to you in a few days every time. It's the only place I really order from anymore (I'm in OH). You'll get two emails a day from them running specials. I've quoted yesterdays emails so you can see what your in for.

quote:

AJ Fernandez and Oliva are now 30% off!

AJ Fernandez
Oliva

CODE: AJO = 30% off plus 5% reward points on AJ Fernandez/Oliva for orders $100 or more.

NUB now 45% off!

NUB
Code: NUB = 45% off plus 5% reward points on NUB

Please log in before using code
SakaKhan is on its way to Small Batch next week. Also heads up, starting tomorrow, we will begin pre-selling the Dunbarton SakaKhan. More details will be available tomorrow.

quote:

Dunbarton SakaKhann preorders are now live!

SakaKhan

The SakaKhans are enroute to Small Batch and scheduled to land on the 31st. From there, we will start fulfilling orders.

The Mi Querida SakaKhan is a 7 1/4 x 54 Churchill extra. It will use a Connecticut broadleaf No.1 dark wrapper over a Mexican San Andrés negro binder and fillers from the Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. Production is handled at Nicaragua American Cigars S.A. in Estelí, Nicaragua.

Dunbarton SakaKhan Preorder
Sunday Special!

Good morning! Today we have one special on thirty six categories with a minimum for the second tier.

20 Acre Farn
AJ Fernandez
Herrera Esteli Norteno
Herrera Esteli Brazilian Maduro
Joya Red
Joya Antano 1970
Drew Estate (Freestyle Live is not included)
Undercrown Shade
Undercrown Sungrown
Acid
Aging Room
Crux
Oliva
CAO
Rocky Patel
Regius
HVC
Partagas
Graycliff
La Aurora
La Gloria Cubana
Montecristo
Romeo y Julieta
Punch
Perdomo
H. Upmann
Saint Luis Rey
Macanudo
Henry Clay
Gispert
Fratello
Miami Cigar Company
Trinidad
Casa Cuevas
Stallone Cigar Company
Forged Cigar Company

CODE: 25OFF = 25% off plus 5% reward points on the categories above with no minimum

CODE: 35OFF = 35% off plus 5% reward points on the categories above for orders $150 or more
Please log in before using code
CODES ARE NOT RETRO ACTIVE AND CAN NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER. PLEASE LOG IN BEFORE TRYING TO PURCHASE. CODES MAY HAVE MINIMUMS AND STANDARD RESTRICTIONS APPLY. CODE WILL EXPIRE 08/29/22 AT 11:59 PM PST.

I've also heard great things about Fox Cigars, but I've never ordered from them myself.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
It turns out that the tracking just hadn't updated and I am indeed an impatient manchild, it's in Orlando now so that's not bad at all.

Still doesn't wash the taste of chud out of my mouth tho, so I picked up a 5 pack of Nub maduros from Small Batch because it was $25 with the coupon code. I literally only know that I like Arturo Fuente Curly Heads that I get out of the humidor cabinet at the smoke shop down the road, so I figure I probably can't go so wrong that I regret spending the money.

Checkout had a "receive newsletter" box front and center in a very obvious spot, I'm a sucker for not trying to trick me into getting more spam emails than I already get.

Thanks for the rec + pasting the emails dude, much appreciated.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

When I visited Orlando, there was a fantastic cigar + pipe place called "The Ol' Times." I don't know if they ship but it was a great place to visit. Maybe I was impressed because, being from Canada, we can't even smoke in our tobacco shops. Anyways, it was a small place but had plenty of charm and friendly staff too.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

When I visited Orlando, there was a fantastic cigar + pipe place called "The Ol' Times." I don't know if they ship but it was a great place to visit. Maybe I was impressed because, being from Canada, we can't even smoke in our tobacco shops. Anyways, it was a small place but had plenty of charm and friendly staff too.

I am unfortunately cursed with living in Jacksonville, which is like 200 km north of Orlando, but this place looks super cool!

Small Batch sent me a tracking number an hour and twenty minutes after I placed my order, I'm already digging this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cigar Page isn’t quite as prompt as Atlantic in my experience. Atlantic is my usual favorite because that VIP deal pays for itself extremely quickly.

PCB is great though and I’m tempted to sign up for their monthly thing, looks like they give out regular codes for 20% off.