Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And somehow they were that good as a surprise four piece with their guitarist not making it into the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Walrus posted:

And somehow they were that good as a surprise four piece with their guitarist not making it into the country

Guitarist as in Hester/blonde chick?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Walrus posted:

Just saw wet legs first Canadian show and hooooooly gently caress. These guys gonna blow up. So good.

They've gotten better then?

Everything I saw originally with their initial hype showed them really raw, and not good live.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Gonna blow up?

They're already massively hyped and it's going to be their biggest obstacle as a band to top "Chaise Longue" which they haven't been able to do and honestly seems dubious to me. They had a quirky song brush the mainstream.

Not saying that's their best song by a longshot, but color me pessimistic on Wet Leg. They might have some minor successes with follow-ups in the "indie world", but something about it all reminds me of Le Tigre 20 years later for some reason. They'll be known for that one song and have a few critically acclaimed albums no one remembers.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Guitarist as in Hester/blonde chick?

She's the weak link in their live performance tbh and made a lot of mistakes when I saw them at SXSW

That's not surprising they are improving, but they really have a ton of work to do before they're ready as a headliner on tour

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I remember seeing a live performance of Chaise Longue on some TV show, and the biggest thing I noticed was that their timing was all over the place. Speeding up and slowing down at seemingly random points.

It's as if they went to the Pete Best school of rhythm.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nah not Hester, who I didn't realize did main vocals on some tracks. It was Josh Mobaraki – additional guitars, synthesizer.

And yes they sounded great. First couple songs were a bit weird but the missing member explained that and they tightened up a ton. It was a little raw but in a great way. They did the tempo change thing a couple times and I never got the idea it was random.

Also they haven't had a chance to tour since covid really, touring in north america is when you really get a chance to go big.

The new songs they played were pretty good too so ya, going places.

My predictions for 'small stage this time big next' for concerts this year are Fred Again and Wet Leg. I am enjoying the small venues while I can.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I also measure a bands upcoming success by how much the crowd is into it and God drat I saw 60 year old women jumping up and down. Multiple mosh pits.. which at wet leg, maybe a bit much, but that was the vibe.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

The Walrus posted:

My predictions for 'small stage this time big next' for concerts this year are Fred Again and Wet Leg. I am enjoying the small venues while I can.

I like Wet Leg so I'm glad to hear they're getting better live. Now Fred Again I totally agree with. Those guys keep putting out banger after banger but that's for another thread...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if some of the ppl claiming current massive hype are from the UK where they just played Glastonbury to 200k people. People on the Osheaga Reddit were in a panic about the safety issue of them being on the smallest stage but it was actually quite roomy. And beautiful. And like 60 percent music nerds by volume

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Walrus posted:

I wonder if some of the ppl claiming current massive hype are from the UK where they just played Glastonbury to 200k people. People on the Osheaga Reddit were in a panic about the safety issue of them being on the smallest stage but it was actually quite roomy. And beautiful. And like 60 percent music nerds by volume

When they played SXSW, there were consistently thousands in line for their shows in venues where capacity was only for a few hundred people

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

When they played SXSW, there were consistently thousands in line for their shows in venues where capacity was only for a few hundred people

My impression is that Wet Leg is blowing up in particular within the exact demographic that would stand in lines at SXSW. I am including myself in that statement.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Trig Discipline posted:

My impression is that Wet Leg is blowing up in particular within the exact demographic that would stand in lines at SXSW. I am including myself in that statement.

I watched one of their videos on youtube, wasn't really my thing, but I was surprised by the comments. A lot of people claiming to be boomers who were saying that Wet Leg is the best thing since The Beatles. Kind of left my head scratching.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
This is good, not surprised haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQqUlul1UHY

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 2, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Man, I've been listening to a bunch of new music this year. I wonder what I've been listening to the most?

oh. hrm.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

understandable. A thousand Vandross scrobbles is never too much.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks to the weekend's posts I've been listening to the new Lord Huron album nonstop. This is my favourite track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2JmQ-j0jlc

e: this is my 2nd fave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOz3VJD4L0o

I'm very late to this but I saw Lord Huron in person recently at the Mission Ballroom in Denver and they're extremely good. One of the better live performances I'd ever seen.

On that note, one of my favorite tracks of theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jj_a-J2v1A

The bass and the breakdown are incredible. Love this band

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 3, 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
also I just love the constant use of the theremin in LH tracks :spooky:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Polish Pirate posted:

I like Wet Leg so I'm glad to hear they're getting better live. Now Fred Again I totally agree with. Those guys keep putting out banger after banger but that's for another thread...

Its just one guy but yea. I saw him at Mercury Lounge (250 Capacity) over the winter... he came back 4 months later and sold out 3 shows in a row at Terminal 5 (3000 capacity) incredible show

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Was this posted yet? Song of the year imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkQgAN9xRO4

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ur Mom and Wet Dream> Chaise Lounge

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Panda Bear/Sonic Boom collab out next Friday is going to be very special I think, can't stop listening to the new single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMNZuZe2OCY

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Every other song on the album> Chaise Lounge

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Spotify suggested this album for me today.

Yup, the album cover is a drawing of Sam Watterson's Law and Order character, Jack McCoy.

It's an album called For McCoy by Eiko Ishibashi.

Thought that was interesting.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Panda Bear/Sonic Boom collab out next Friday is going to be very special I think, can't stop listening to the new single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMNZuZe2OCY

Just came to post this, incredible track

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
drat, never really got the comparisons with Noah Lennox and Brian Wilson (I mean, have you heard Noah’s vocal range?) but I certainly do with the new songs from that project.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 7, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

drat, never really got the comparisons with Noah Lennox and Brian Wilson (I mean, have you heard Noah’s vocal range?) but I certainly do with the new songs from that project.

I think early on he caught that and really tried to hide it. Daft punk definitely heard it when they asked him to doin' it right. (those double tracked vocals aren't an accident). Imagine if Brian Wilson did that song.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Does anybody know of any good online radio stations to discover new music? Spotify's curated playlists just aren't cutting it.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Nihonniboku posted:

Does anybody know of any good online radio stations to discover new music? Spotify's curated playlists just aren't cutting it.

I have sworn by Soma FM for nearly 18 years (:corsair:) now. Try one of these:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

This is a perfect time to plug gbs-fm, which still exists and occasionally features new music

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Most of my workday listening is through KEXP

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Nihonniboku posted:

Worldwide.FM is amazing

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

KCRW if you're south west. Two feeds: signature host-driven programming blocks (after 6pm) and a 24 hour stream of music picked by the hosts.

Also their apps for apple support carplay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Chiming in a little late on the Wet Leg chat but the band name "Scotty and the Soft Boys" from the Ur Mum video just cracks me up. Great song, great video. I'm hooked on all their singles but that one is my favourite lately.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Godzilla07 posted:

Most of my workday listening is through KEXP

Yeah I have discovered most of my new favorite stuff through their channel on YT from the live performances they host. I'm always a fan of live versions over studio versions and KEXP does a loving stellar sound engineering job with them.

https://www.youtube.com/c/kexp

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

DasNeonLicht posted:

I have sworn by Soma FM for nearly 18 years (:corsair:) now. Try one of these:

I’m amazed that SomaFM still exists. I first listened back in 2005 or thereabouts, the site design hasn’t changed a bit and they’re still begging for donations. I love it.

Indie Pop Rocks and Poptron introduced me to some bands I still listen to who I’d never have heard otherwise, like Suburban Kids with Biblical Names, International Teachers of Pop, Lucky Soul and Say Hi.

Their Underground 80s, Left Coast 70s and 7 Inch Soul channels are fantastic as well. ☺️

Edit: the latest in Cherry Red’s C- series has just gone up for preorder. If you’re into the history of indie these compilations are a must, as far as I’m concerned.

Creature fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 9, 2022

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Creature posted:

I’m amazed that SomaFM still exists. I first listened back in 2005 or thereabouts, the site design hasn’t changed a bit and they’re still begging for donations. I love it.

Indie Pop Rocks and Poptron introduced me to some bands I still listen to who I’d never have heard otherwise, like Suburban Kids with Biblical Names, International Teachers of Pop, Lucky Soul and Say Hi.

Their Underground 80s, Left Coast 70s and 7 Inch Soul channels are fantastic as well. ☺️

Edit: the latest in Cherry Red’s C- series has just gone up for preorder. If you’re into the history of indie these compilations are a must, as far as I’m concerned.

I'm amazed at how they keep adding channels (they have a vaporwave channel now, lol) and how deep the cuts are on the 1970s and 1980s stations. For me, it was Groove Salad that got me into Boards of Canada, and I appreciate that they created a separate, frozen-in-time Groove Salad Classic so I can relive wasting time in my dorm on my first broadband connection gently caress I am so old

and Cherry Red Records rules. This is one of my favorite playlists on Spotify — never gets old. Such a breezy, honest sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5MF4O7e7xo

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Do bands get paid for sessions like KEXP/Audiotree/etc or is it just promotion?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Not a radio, but I'll throw a recommendation for Independent Music Podcast. It's a weekly podcast from two English lads with a one hour very broad slate of independent music, in the scope of this thread and way outside it. Very much good poo poo and I've been happily throwing a fiver at them every month in Patreon.

https://independentmusicpodcast.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWfG7F-TAWY