Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The tragic thing about Sears is that it was amazon for a century before amazon existed. You could order anything through the sears catalog since the late 1800s. Sears could have transitioned the catalog to an online marketplace and dominated. Instead, they turned to infighting, and it destroyed the company forever.

But you see, capitalism produces innovation and efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

The tragic thing about Sears is that it was amazon for a century before amazon existed. You could order anything through the sears catalog since the late 1800s. Sears could have transitioned the catalog to an online marketplace and dominated. Instead, they turned to infighting, and it destroyed the company forever.

Yeah right? They had the name and infrastructure to easily do that. Even if they had remained on the pricy side, as opposed to Amazon's cheap garbage, they could easily have survived by continuing to cater to people in the suburbs.

The knock-on effect of them going belly-up is even worse. Think about how many dozens of malls they must have taken with them once their anchor stores shut down. Not that malls are some vital service - in fact they suck for helping to continue the death of downtown small business (among many other factors of course) - but the knock-on effect is insane. And all because some jerk-off thought Atlas Shrugged was, like, a good book lmao.

Supervillains are real, and they're called libertarians

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie now has a release date. Let's hope this movie isn't too far behind.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Please. How stupid do I look to you? Corporate Domination. I'll leave that to the old money or the libertarians, thank you

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For others that enjoy Smiling Friends as much as I do, they released a summer special in advance of season 2:

https://twitter.com/swimpedia/status/1555978977176608769?s=21&t=WKolf7FOVYhLYzGYRBjR0w

It aired last night and is available on adult swim and HBO max.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 7, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay baby killer

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I've been meaning to watch this show for, like, a decade. about seven episodes in (finished the Fantastic Four ep). I instantly liked it which was unsurprising.

I think it essentially comes down to the contrary natures of the boys, Brock and Dr Venture that strike a fun and interesting balance

Love, love love the opening.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Something to be said for the strength of the core cast, yeah. Doc, Brock and the boys from the start have a surprising amount of depth in what they do.

Doc and Brock being almost opposites in every conceivable way I think really helps the show, and also makes them actually a surprisingly decent team when they're actually on a similar page.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And it's probably been said a thousand times in this thread, but I think one of the most satisfying things about the show (at least for me) is how this core cast continues to evolve as the show goes on. It's really satisfying to see how characters like Dean and Henchman 21 change and grow to an extent that I don't often see in animated shows. So you have these well-designed characters with actual dimension, but you also have these shifting dynamics that are fun to watch as well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is what gets me too. I say this yo anybody who'll listen because I find it fascinating. They invented online shopping a loving century before there was an internet and then thought it was a fad. How the gently caress?!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm showing the show to my dad since I figured he'd enjoy all the references to media he grew up with. I remember the show just getting better and better with each season and yup, still feel the same! The stories, the characters, the animation, all of it.

And good god, every moment with Shore Leave is gold.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

With a body like Arnold and a Denzel face

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

This is what gets me too. I say this yo anybody who'll listen because I find it fascinating. They invented online shopping a loving century before there was an internet and then thought it was a fad. How the gently caress?!

Most of these companies are run by rich fucks who are used to having everything done for them, and thus have no concept of what is convenient or useful for everyone else.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've been meaning to watch this show for, like, a decade. about seven episodes in (finished the Fantastic Four ep). I instantly liked it which was unsurprising.

I think it essentially comes down to the contrary natures of the boys, Brock and Dr Venture that strike a fun and interesting balance

Love, love love the opening.

Good news, season one is the weakest. You've got such highs ahead of you.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I can’t remember a show with character arcs as well-written and executed as the ones on this show. All the mains go through large, yet entirely natural and logical changes. Just great writing that rarely gets the praise its due.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Season one was very rough. I still binge watch it and you can tell they were trying to find their theme/direction of the show. By the time we got to Are you there god its me dean i feel is when the show started to spin its wheels.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
No way.

Careers in Science, Ghosts of the Sargasso and Ice Station Impossible are all top tier episodes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Ghosts has some all time great bits in it. and it introduced Pirate.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Season 1 is what hooked me and due to age is probably the one I've re-watched the most, warts and all. For someone's first watch I'd probably recommend S2, but in no way is S1 bad. Tag Sale is very funny and important for introducing a ton of plotlines and characters they'd build on later on. Trial of the Monarch has a ton of great lines that live in my head forever. Basically an S2+ style episode tucked right at the end of S1.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

uber_stoat posted:

Ghosts has some all time great bits in it. and it introduced Pirate.

One of my favorite clips in the whole show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQZ9wCNx9Y

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

No way.

Careers in Science, Ghosts of the Sargasso and Ice Station Impossible are all top tier episodes.
So's Tag Sale, but that doesn't mean that season one isn't also unpleasantly homophobic and full of slurs :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, edginess was mostly punching down back then. It's kind of a drag going back, but it does remind me of how far we've come in a very short period of time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wait his name's just pirate? I feel kinda bad so we know his real name?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They haven't named him yet, no.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

Wait his name's just pirate? I feel kinda bad so we know his real name?
they call him Captain every single time he shows up iirc, he's never gotten a real name

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There are a lot more fun episodic one-off adventure episodes in the early seasons which I kind of missed as the show went on

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

they call him Captain every single time he shows up iirc, he's never gotten a real name

You know the Captain always goes down with the ship!
Uhhhh......
Oh, I mean me, Captain. Not you, Captain. You should get off as soon as possible.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was paraphrasing Dean, when Pirate is on the traq in the boys room going cold turkey

is that my ughhhh poop in that bucket? If I remember right it's been years since I watched the commentary they were also surprised he didn't have a name at that point.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

First episode I saw was “The Incredible Mr. Brisby” and I was instantly hooked.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wonder if that pirate ever got a real sword when he worked for JJ.

I hope he did.

Also, I hope we find out Captain changed his name via deed poll or whatever the US version of that is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw the pilot when it aired in 2003 and tried to explain what I had seen to my roommates, and they both thought I was misremembering the Toby Danger shirt from Freakazoid and dismissed my discovery.

Boy did they feel like fools two years later after we had all graduated and fallen out of touch. Presumably.

They didn’t believe that it was really Bruce Campbell on Megas XLR, either.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

What makes pirate great is he's like a pretty major character and still basically a Scooby Doo villain that joined those meddling kids.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pixaal posted:

What makes pirate great is he's like a pretty major character and still basically a Scooby Doo villain that joined those meddling kids.

And his two major character traits include being unusually competent and sometimes needing to get the dart monkey off his back.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

limp_cheese posted:

One of my favorite clips in the whole show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQZ9wCNx9Y

I told you what I'd do for one of these

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Captain also just seems like a decent guy absent circumstances, like being trapped for a decade in the Sargasso Sea or barbiturate addiction.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Captain also just seems like a decent guy absent circumstances, like being trapped for a decade in the Sargasso Sea or barbiturate addiction.

it gave him the leadership skills to run a multi-billion tech company

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Pirate Captain has one of the biggest glowups on the show outside of Gary and I hope we never learn his name.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

he just throws off real blue collar working schmuck vibes. you could absolutely tip back some cold ones with Pirate Captain after a long day stuck in the sargassum

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

he just throws off real blue collar working schmuck vibes. you could absolutely tip back some cold ones with Pirate Captain after a long day stuck in the sargassum

All while vibing to some Crash Test Dummies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drrockso20 posted:

All while vibing to some Crash Test Dummies

Jesus Jones!