Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the music on that video is extremely @ringtonebangers and goes way, way too hard for what's actually happening there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, SE is a music/graphical design company pretending to be a game company so.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

If there's a goon resurgence to FFXI can y'all gather on Siren please? Asura is a loving nightmare hellscape outside of instanced content and even still with the queues for that content. Chill servers are just better.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Asura is where all the people are though, right?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What makes siren chill and asura not, I don't know anything about the servers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can you still play FFXI on the xbox360?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

knox posted:

The stuff of nightmares. This tumblr I follow posts PlayOnline poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-5D_fZqMM

This gave me PTSD.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

jokes posted:

Asura is where all the people are though, right?

Too many. Like at least 2x the active players of the biggest servers of the past. Old but still relevant poo poo like abyssea drops for ochain/dharp were hard camped 24/7 in all three zones. Even getting a ??? to pop escha nms was a chore and would be hotly contested within the hour. Established players don't have much issue because they'll only run instanced stuff and the double edge is new players won't notice the congestion until it's too late.

It's also, of course, where the most toxic dipshits congregate too. Any player that exclusively wants to be on the biggest server is not a player you want to play XI with.

There is no worthwhile benefit unless you buy gil to merc everything.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 9, 2022

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

How hard is it to get FFXI running with a modern XInput controller?

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Dross posted:

I didn't have a hard time, but I did run FFXI through steam and it seemed to work 100x better than trying to do it myself through ds4windows or using an xbox controller. Rather, I ran windower through Steam which helped with it not picking up the controller properly on 2/3 of the times it booted up.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

CuddleCryptid posted:

Now I really want to roleplay someone with literal main character syndrome that firmly believes that the entire plot happened to him and only him, and everyone else is just pretending to be him. It'll be great, everyone will hate me.
I know where I came from - but where did all you zombies come from?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dross posted:

I got it running with my xbox controller without any real difficulty. The only hiccup is that there's a controller config menu in the game config app, and there's a controller config app with the same UI. Only the latter worked for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

30.5 Days posted:

What makes siren chill and asura not, I don't know anything about the servers

Siren doesn't have spicyryan

Gripweed posted:

Can you still play FFXI on the xbox360?

no, that finished at the same time as PS2 support

Dross posted:

They managed to hack xinput support in alongside dinput so once you've configured it in the config tool it works just fine

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O95JgXgqbQ

Soulframe: An upcoming MMO from Digital Extremes, the creators of Warframe.

I don't think I've seen it posted here, and I've searched. Come on lads, I use this thread to stay up-to-date on MMO news. (Apologies if I've missed it)

EDIT: what we know so far:

* free-to-play
* you can reserve your name on the website, provided you solve a simple puzzle
* slow mostly-melee action-hybrid combat in an open world (apparently inspired by Elden Ring nope, Soulsborne wasn't an inspiration)
* Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli inspired aesthetic
* Steve Sinclair, previous Creative Director for Warframe, is now working on this
* early concept work started in 2019, became an actual project early this year
* rumours of player-driven economy
* rumours of closed alpha some time in 2023

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 9, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Looks very dark, drab and generic for something claiming inspiration from Miyazaki / Ghibli aesthetics imho.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t recall reading as much about the Ghibli aesthetic being an inspiration for the game so much as some of its theming. I think they called out Princess Mononoke specifically.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I guess I can kinda see the Ghibli.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Oh new MMOs? I saw the some hype videos for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSTahTUVYao which apparently is coming out this year and has very little information available online as far as I can tell unless its all in korean. It used to be project TL if anyone remembers this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATnegnw0SyQ from 4 years ago

Anyways it is supposed to be successor to Lineage in spirit if not directly I guess.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ranzear posted:

Too many. Like at least 2x the active players of the biggest servers of the past. Old but still relevant poo poo like abyssea drops for ochain/dharp were hard camped 24/7 in all three zones. Even getting a ??? to pop escha nms was a chore and would be hotly contested within the hour. Established players don't have much issue because they'll only run instanced stuff and the double edge is new players won't notice the congestion until it's too late.

It's also, of course, where the most toxic dipshits congregate too. Any player that exclusively wants to be on the biggest server is not a player you want to play XI with.

There is no worthwhile benefit unless you buy gil to merc everything.

Why siren, then? I would be concerned nobody would be selling items I want/need on lower pop servers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

doomisland posted:

Anyways it is supposed to be successor to Lineage in spirit if not directly I guess.

Tenth time is the charm

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the Lineage lineage

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
still lol every time i remember how they scrapped lineage 3 because someone stole their assets

and then scrapped lineage 4 or whatever it was called because someone stole their code

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

jokes posted:

Why siren, then? I would be concerned nobody would be selling items I want/need on lower pop servers

It's just where I'm back to and where all my Diabolos peeps merged and has one of the oldest social ls in the game (Silmarillion). It's not the smallest server and anything you might care to buy from AH either requires Sp3 or higher (read: 40+ hours post-99 grinding) or costs 50mil wherever you end up just by rarity of HQ against NPC sourced mats; everything else (food, meds) is just sold on the cheap by a flying rat once you finish RoV and before then just ask and someone will stock you up. Real gear comes from content.

It was the ambuscade queue that made asura so bad. That's the entry-level content now but has a solid grind with a monthly reset. A 20-30 minute queue really messes up what is usually a six minute fight and four minute runback that you're gonna do 30+ times to finish a few capes and stack some mats.

I also just wanted to finish my ochain but seeing the same bot-crawling group camping both my targets for three days was just obnoxious.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Truga posted:

still lol every time i remember how they scrapped lineage 3 because someone stole their assets

and then scrapped lineage 4 or whatever it was called because someone stole their code

Lmao is that what happened? I just thought they vanished into development hell and were canceled

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tera was born of one of the many attempts to do Lineage 3, I forget what the others were except for like, Aion obviously

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Tera devs actually made another mmo called Elyos(?). It has like -1 players on Steam or something, apprently.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Elyon, which had another name and a much different focus for much of its design and dev and then uh.. got extremely Bluehole'd

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

Lmao is that what happened? I just thought they vanished into development hell and were canceled

turns out lineage 3 source code got stolen. when they happened they scrapped everything and started over, and then the assets got stolen by bluehole apparently? so they scrapped it again

i dunno why they just didn't go ahead and make the game, who cares if there's some lovely c++ code floating around lmao

anyway, yeah, ncsoft is p. weird like that. they also pulled a ton of funding from gw2 when it was at its peak popularity mid-path of fire causing them to lose half their staff and cancel all future expansion plans, and then they suddenly announced an expansion as the game was at its lowest player count lmao

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i saw a bunch of people watching this tower of fantasy game and got excited for a sec before i realized it was just genshin impact. gotta get those kids to drop money on the gacha gambling.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

i saw a bunch of people watching this tower of fantasy game and got excited for a sec before i realized it was just genshin impact. gotta get those kids to drop money on the gacha gambling.

Tried to login and a few of the servers have 24 hour queue times lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I see people on Youtube shilling for Ashes of Creation. This game has been in development since 2016, and the devs keep extending the development and feature creep in order to keep funding going and avoid any sort of accountability. Is this game actually not a scam? Its still in alpha with nothing to show for it that i'm aware of.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I see people on Youtube shilling for Ashes of Creation. This game has been in development since 2016, and the devs keep extending the development and feature creep in order to keep funding going and avoid any sort of accountability. Is this game actually not a scam? Its still in alpha with nothing to show for it that i'm aware of.

it's 100% a scam, or, if you want to be more generous, a product that is impossible to deliver on

there's a reason modern MMOs aren't made that much if they're not gacha vehicles, and it's because they cost an absurd amount of money for the final result. trying to make anything approaching those games with kickstarter money is already a dicey proposition, but promising the moon and the stars of a living world beyond that is pure pie-in-the-sky nonsense

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’m sure the MLM scammer running the show is on the level, better toss a few more hundreds his way.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I said come in! posted:

It's a legitimate game. Don't spend money on it until after it comes out, though.

They have had play tests for group pvp and they've shown a number of places in the world, a pve encounter or two, etc. It's well funded, privately held, and seems like a passion project. Their technical team seems competent and has made measurable progress. The game design side is where the game gets ??? because they haven't really shown all that much & it's where most of the "can they actually deliver and support a good product" questions come from.

There's nothing to shill for. Not enough is known, the political/area control stuff is going to be a dumpster fire for the same reason economies always are -- no one solved this poo poo in real life & if a game solves it first they just changed the course of humanity forever, class identity & combat in general seem kinda questionable so far relative to competitors, but the rest of the game will probably deliver a generic tab target/clunky action hybrid MMO experience with modernish graphics at a minimum.

I don't get why people keep falling victim to paying for games they imagine playing, but you should always buy stuff that's out now and only look at other stuff when it actually comes out. AoC is getting hype because outside of Riot's mmo, the traditional western MMO landscape is barren. The new camelot is in the duke nukem forever territory of "are you actually working on it, because it seems like you've made negative progress since 5 years ago", that game that starts with a p and had the everquest guy who died working on it looked really clunky/underwhelming and they've allegedly pivoted a bit away from the traditional everquest experience (& may never even release who knows), and I think that covers everything upcoming in that slice of the genre. Oh, riot's mmo, it's very far away and they haven't said or shown anything tangible about it yet somehow people are hyping it anyway.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 11, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think people are hyping the Riot MMO because League of Legends is considered a good game and Riot is actually pretty likely to be able to release an MMO.

It's basically the only Western MMO that I think has a real chance of seeing the light of day and a chance of not being a laughable trainwreck. I am still not hyped for it because it'll probably suck rear end anyway

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

FrostyPox posted:

I think people are hyping the Riot MMO because League of Legends is considered a good game and Riot is actually pretty likely to be able to release an MMO.

It's basically the only Western MMO that I think has a real chance of seeing the light of day and a chance of not being a laughable trainwreck. I am still not hyped for it because it'll probably suck rear end anyway

im not a huge fan of riot games, but at least they are a real company. i have a mild level of hype

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FrostyPox posted:

Everything Riot has touched lately has been very late '90s, early '00s Blizzard. Take existing stuff and make it better, streamline it a bit alienating some hardcore players in the process, support it well, and gain a huge following.

Legends of Runeterra is great and actually f2p unlike other digital ccgs, Teamfight Tactics is a genre leader despite having no killer feature and appearing late due to being well managed, LoL speaks for itself, and Valorant has managed to compete with CSGO despite being CSGO with gimmicks.

I get why people are interested, but the game could be cancelled and we'd lose nothing. That's how little information we have on it. It's 5+ years out. Riot's probably the only studio I trust to make an acceptable game in almost any genre, but I'm not convinced they'll actually release an MMO.

I'm going on a rant tangent about Valve. Valve managed to kill their own version of Teamfight Tactics, Underlords, by adding Underlords (lol) and refusing to walk it back/fix it. In a game about building a roster that auto battles through gambling, decision making, and tight resource management, they added a free, always-there static hero that had pointlessly tedious talent trees with no skill element that undermined the entire concept of the game. One update and their stubborn refusal to revert/redesign single handedly drove most players & content creators to either LoR or Teamfight Tactics and killed the game. The game had massive hype, 40k-110k concurrent players, and then they did no real balance changes/updates for a few months which tanked players to 20k or so and at the tail end dropped the turd was the Underlord update. Popularity spiked briefly and then dropped to sub 10k concurrents where it has remained to this day. Unbelievable how they had a runaway success that was super fun and managed to kill it so quickly & they have such poor org structure that no one was there to say "no, this is a bad update that the players don't like".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 12, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think a consistent, relatively frequent update schedule is a necessity in modern non-legacy multiplayer games if you want them to last. It's just way too easy to lose your install base if it looks like you're letting the game rot on the vine, and it's drat hard to recover the numbers after. FFXIV and League both benefited enormously from having consistent, predictable drips of content that kept players interested and continued to generate interest in the broader gaming scene.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I said come in! posted:

People's definition of a scam might be different from mine, but I think it's a scam like 99% of all kickstarter MMOs. I remember back in 2020 when youtubers/MMO websites were like THIS IS THE FUTURE MMO WE'RE ALL GONNA PLAY THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT and I could already tell then it was just more of the same bullshit.
Camelot Unchained has been in development for like 10 years with a 3 million annual budget; you can literally have an MMO carrot on a stick in development for 10+ years, as a loving career choice.

That's why when Crowfall actually launched a loving game and it tanked it probably depressed me more for the future of MMOs than the constant obvious scams not launching.
I didn't play Crowfall but definitely planned to, and I've seen streamer I watch say they enjoyed it when they did play.

knox fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

I think a consistent, relatively frequent update schedule is a necessity in modern non-legacy multiplayer games if you want them to last. It's just way too easy to lose your install base if it looks like you're letting the game rot on the vine, and it's drat hard to recover the numbers after. FFXIV and League both benefited enormously from having consistent, predictable drips of content that kept players interested and continued to generate interest in the broader gaming scene.

yeah, but otoh everything is loving gaas now that wants you to log in at least once per day or you lose ~progress~ lmao

also, ashes of creation is just star citizen with less money