Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the giant handcuff belt was non-negotiable it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cephas posted:

i didn't think a ripped mp3 file from a heavy metal fighting game would be making me cry before work

I’m waiting until the DLC is out, personally. I have a box of tissues at the ready :ohdear:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the giant handcuff belt was non-negotiable it seems

how else would you know some one's a bounty hunter????

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Roger, covered in flames

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Encircled

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I listened to it again. It's enveloped. :eng99:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently, Bridget’s in-game bio and arcade mode storyline clarifies something very important. :)

Hell yeah, love a series that fiercely endorses being one's self.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I have delved deep into the Bridget trans discourse. Can't get out

vanish into dark.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bridget’s trans as gently caress and y’all can’t do anything about it :comfysamus:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The Town Inside Me is a freakin trans anthem

also Bridget is really fun to play. Her mix of long range pokes, quick approaches, and fast close-range attacks feels really great. Awesome movement and victory animations too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The general discourse of Bridget is pretty heartening as far as fighting game players being pretty chill. There are a few big dickheads around but by and large they're sidelined or told to gently caress off.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Anyway I'm fully aware that it's an insanely unreasonable ask considering the music video was made for the anniversary as a special occasion but if anyone discovers magic or wishes or something I would like for every single character theme to have a music video thanks in advance Daisuke.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/DemonRin/status/1556807700306006016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

JBP posted:

The general discourse of Bridget is pretty heartening as far as fighting game players being pretty chill. There are a few big dickheads around but by and large they're sidelined or told to gently caress off.
I do think it's mildly amusing recalling a bit of general unease at the prospect of bringing Bridget back in 3D due to concerns about how they'd treat her.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
well for the first time since uhhh May, I think, I have successfully completed the Celestial Challenge. I'm glad to have done it so I don't have to worry about it for 4 weeks, but I have to be honest, I just really hate the way the challenge works. I really hope they rework it at some point because I typically play well enough that I I'm generally blasting through Floor 10 but will get dunked off the challenge.....and then steamroll a few people so I unlock the challenge again. and fail cuz I get matched against CD Lime or Apotheosis or something, then it's back to the same cycle.

That said, after coming back from playing DNF and getting my feet back under me with Guilty Gear, I can see how I've improved a lot from a couple months ago in terms of damage output and consistency. My biggest problem now is really flubbing some of the inputs I need to make Baiken truly threatening. Stuff like IAD Tatami on oki situations, TK Youzansen, and IAD Youzansen for cross-up threat. It's got me pondering buying a Hitbox or something :negative:

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Cephas posted:

The Town Inside Me is a freakin trans anthem

also Bridget is really fun to play. Her mix of long range pokes, quick approaches, and fast close-range attacks feels really great. Awesome movement and victory animations too.

It's been a tough fuckin week for me and I didn't expect to get all emotional about a motherfucking fighting game character theme of all things.

Bridget rules and is very likely bringing me back into this game.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

You know I would never have thought that Guilty Gear of all games would be treating their characters with such respect (to a degree). The way they've handled both Testament and Bridget has actually seemed fairly tasteful which is unexpected.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I wonder if a lot of that is that Daisuke has openly said that he really really cares about the characters and often treats them as extensions of himself.

but yeah, it's cool. I wouldn't have ever expected them to handle the characters this way. Not to say they would've been bad to Bridget, just that going the trans route explicitly and in, as far as I can tell, a thoughtful and genuine way is a shock in a good way.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Here's a question, has anyone found out if there's a level 9 Ky at the end of Bridget's arcade story like other people have level 9 Nago and is he as horseshit?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Skypie posted:

well for the first time since uhhh May, I think, I have successfully completed the Celestial Challenge. I'm glad to have done it so I don't have to worry about it for 4 weeks, but I have to be honest, I just really hate the way the challenge works. I really hope they rework it at some point because I typically play well enough that I I'm generally blasting through Floor 10 but will get dunked off the challenge.....and then steamroll a few people so I unlock the challenge again. and fail cuz I get matched against CD Lime or Apotheosis or something, then it's back to the same cycle.

That said, after coming back from playing DNF and getting my feet back under me with Guilty Gear, I can see how I've improved a lot from a couple months ago in terms of damage output and consistency. My biggest problem now is really flubbing some of the inputs I need to make Baiken truly threatening. Stuff like IAD Tatami on oki situations, TK Youzansen, and IAD Youzansen for cross-up threat. It's got me pondering buying a Hitbox or something :negative:

I'm in the same boat regarding celestial challenge and I think a lot of people are. The tower is a failure as a matchmaking system. I don't have any reason to continue using it any more.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glagha posted:

Here's a question, has anyone found out if there's a level 9 Ky at the end of Bridget's arcade story like other people have level 9 Nago and is he as horseshit?

Well there is a Ky with some unique moves, or at least a new super:
https://twitter.com/pleinSolei/status/1556715019538255872

I can't speak for how horseshit he is.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
bridget feels really fun to use in training mode so far. lots of cool moves and yo yo and skates go brrr.

Kongming posted:

I'm in the same boat regarding celestial challenge and I think a lot of people are. The tower is a failure as a matchmaking system. I don't have any reason to continue using it any more.

it being 3 matches max also means 95% of players just try to run you over with flowchart offense and combos so you either have to do the same thing or accept spending a long time trying to learn how to not get run over immediately by half the cast. i enjoyed getting it the first time but it's just so much worse than playing FT5/10s with randoms in the park.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Kongming posted:

Foul Fowl posted:

bridget feels really fun to use in training mode so far. lots of cool moves and yo yo and skates go brrr.

it being 3 matches max also means 95% of players just try to run you over with flowchart offense and combos so you either have to do the same thing or accept spending a long time trying to learn how to not get run over immediately by half the cast. i enjoyed getting it the first time but it's just so much worse than playing FT5/10s with randoms in the park.

I like the Tower, in theory, and similarly, I'm not opposed to limiting how many matches you can play maximum with an opponent in ranked play. DNF Duel only lets you do 3 maximum matches too, although it'll stop you if someone wins 2 in a row, I think? I know it's beating a dead horse to say they should push rating updates off til the end of a set, but that would alleviate some of it. but there's kind of a weird problem where, at least on PC, there's only like 5% of the players on Celestial but almost a third of the matches are happening there with another third happening on Floor 10. that's kinda hosed up for match-making purposes

As for the Celestial Challenge, I think they should just make the VIP profile thing cosmetic. They already do a "hidden" count for winning 5 out of 6 to determine rank updates anyway so I sorta feel like if you've opened the Celestial floor, you should just be able to play in it whenever you want. If you win 5 before losing 2, then you get your VIP page for the month. Then you get the auras as normal. On the first of the month, if you're not in the top whatever, your profile goes back to normal but you can just start playing in Celestial again.

I know that ArcSys wants Celestial to be "prestigious" but I don't think it's working out the way they want, and they should just accept that the auras will be the mark of prestige since they're so heavily limited. Without a true matchmaking system with some kinda ELO score to filter players, I just don't think it's a true test of skill since getting washed by (semi) pro players isn't indicative of your competency. and I'd just spend more time doing long sets in the park, but every time I try to play in the park, it's people trying to learn new characters or lower-level players so it doesn't feel like I'm getting in sets with people who help me learn.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
another big issue is that because of how the lobbies work it takes way too long to get back into a match as well, compared to just having a menu that would match you up with other players. plus sometimes you get a celestial floor where half the people are dodging you because they want their 5 wins and your character is too scary or unknown.

if they fixed that, turned celestial into 2 floors, one of which had infinite rematches on and i guess no rankings or whatever, just that you had to fight through ranked to get there so there's a skill floor, and let you do 3/5s in general for ranked, i think that would sort out a lot of the problems i'm having with it atm. plus a better system for friending other players you have good matches with so you can find them more easily.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Letting people choose which character they want to play against in a ranked gamemode is one of the dumbest loving decisions ever.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
lol the latest line is that Bridget choosing to be a girl isn't canon because the line to goldlewis isn't part of the perfect arcade run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W5ezv_xxOk
despite, you know, everything else

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hogama posted:

lol the latest line is that Bridget choosing to be a girl isn't canon because the line to goldlewis isn't part of the perfect arcade run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W5ezv_xxOk
despite, you know, everything else
i appreciate that that is kind of a funny argument but i dont really want updates on what transphobes are saying

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like the matchmaking system because I can see my gaming enemies and chase them around until they fight me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JBP posted:

I like the matchmaking system because I can see my gaming enemies and chase them around until they fight me
the best part of playing ramlethal is finding the potemkin main in the room and chasing him while he flees in terror

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Endorph posted:

i appreciate that that is kind of a funny argument but i dont really want updates on what transphobes are saying
It's just almost an impressive misreading of the story simply because one line is only on a single path, since literally every path, win or loss, deals with Bridget running away from herself and being afraid to come clean to her family and hometown and Goldlewis and Ky helping her find her resolve. I mean, the bio's a refresher - Bridget's parents were actually unhappy they had to raise her as a girl just to protect her from the superstition (which otherwise demanded death or exile), and the village's superstition fading means that Bridget absolutely had to be presenting as a man and them accepting that. So there's not really a story in Bridget being scared to be a boy because of what others would think - but there is one in Bridget realizing she's not being true to herself in continuing as she is.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

axl sucks right now so im playing the closest character to axl(baiken) instead

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

axl sucks right now so im playing the closest character to axl(baiken) instead

From what I've seen Bridget plays like Axl and Ino having a baby.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hogama posted:

It's just almost an impressive misreading of the story simply because one line is only on a single path, since literally every path, win or loss, deals with Bridget running away from herself and being afraid to come clean to her family and hometown and Goldlewis and Ky helping her find her resolve. I mean, the bio's a refresher - Bridget's parents were actually unhappy they had to raise her as a girl just to protect her from the superstition (which otherwise demanded death or exile), and the village's superstition fading means that Bridget absolutely had to be presenting as a man and them accepting that. So there's not really a story in Bridget being scared to be a boy because of what others would think - but there is one in Bridget realizing she's not being true to herself in continuing as she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7c5Txz9p8U

also just listen to her theme, lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The thing that grinds my gears is the whole "actually it's bad that Bridget identifies as a girl because then Bridget is caving to the pressures of society" when a)the entire point is Bridget was seen as misfotunate because the village identifies Bridget as male, the female stuff was to protect Bridget and b)if Bridget caved in to society Bridget would be dead because that's what the superstition mandated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also C) its been six years since she broke the stigma. her theme song literally addresses this. she was in the town with the problem solved, but 'proving she was a guy' just made her feel empty.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

From what I've seen Bridget plays like Axl and Ino having a baby.

bridget looks cool as hell and her combos look good, but i wanted to branch out a bit more and try a more offensive rushdown character that still used some sort of chain adjacent move

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skypie posted:

I like the Tower, in theory, and similarly, I'm not opposed to limiting how many matches you can play maximum with an opponent in ranked play. DNF Duel only lets you do 3 maximum matches too, although it'll stop you if someone wins 2 in a row, I think? I know it's beating a dead horse to say they should push rating updates off til the end of a set, but that would alleviate some of it. but there's kind of a weird problem where, at least on PC, there's only like 5% of the players on Celestial but almost a third of the matches are happening there with another third happening on Floor 10. that's kinda hosed up for match-making purposes

As for the Celestial Challenge, I think they should just make the VIP profile thing cosmetic. They already do a "hidden" count for winning 5 out of 6 to determine rank updates anyway so I sorta feel like if you've opened the Celestial floor, you should just be able to play in it whenever you want. If you win 5 before losing 2, then you get your VIP page for the month. Then you get the auras as normal. On the first of the month, if you're not in the top whatever, your profile goes back to normal but you can just start playing in Celestial again.

I know that ArcSys wants Celestial to be "prestigious" but I don't think it's working out the way they want, and they should just accept that the auras will be the mark of prestige since they're so heavily limited. Without a true matchmaking system with some kinda ELO score to filter players, I just don't think it's a true test of skill since getting washed by (semi) pro players isn't indicative of your competency. and I'd just spend more time doing long sets in the park, but every time I try to play in the park, it's people trying to learn new characters or lower-level players so it doesn't feel like I'm getting in sets with people who help me learn.

Tekken does it really well. Just infinite rematch in ranked who cares. You wanna dematch someone even though they beat you 15 times straight? Great go for it

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Tekken does it really well. Just infinite rematch in ranked who cares. You wanna dematch someone even though they beat you 15 times straight? Great go for it

sometimes it really feels like good gameplay with diverse roster, nice art direction, functioning netcode, and well thought out online systems - pick at most 3

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

the best part of playing ramlethal is finding the potemkin main in the room and chasing him while he flees in terror

I am normally a Ram main but Bridget is Important enough that I might switch over :ohdear:

But this in particular I loving love about Ram, she decimates Pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The thing that grinds my gears is the whole "actually it's bad that Bridget identifies as a girl because then Bridget is caving to the pressures of society" when a)the entire point is Bridget was seen as misfotunate because the village identifies Bridget as male, the female stuff was to protect Bridget and b)if Bridget caved in to society Bridget would be dead because that's what the superstition mandated.

What exactly are you trying to say here