Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a fine line innit.

On the one hand, custom for it's own sake is fun to do and see, especially on dumb vehicles, not everything has to have a rational engineering reason to exist.

Otoh it looks like every other tool's piece of poo poo fashionista grom with no unique characteristics and is just generally dire stupidity encapsulated.

On the gripping hand, is it really worse than a literbike the owner has no hope of using as intended? At least someone might have fun with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I always say… everybody needs a hobby.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Slavvy posted:

Otoh it looks like every other tool's piece of poo poo fashionista grom with no unique characteristics and is just generally dire stupidity encapsulated.

You hit nailed it w/ this. A talented/skilled builder making something unique is always awesome to see but these carbon copy nonfunctional things are just boring as gently caress and $5k a pop instead of a dime a dozen so you can't even be interested in fixing any of them/making them worse unless someone just hit you in the head with a shovel

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Listed under bicycles

E: just realized there's a better shot

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 29, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Is it bad that i first looked at the weird crew cab cabover van in the background?

I don't hate the BMW btw. That drum brake though...

E: wait. Why is it missing a cylinder.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

weight reduction

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The second cylinder is on the new monthly subscription model

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

Is it bad that i first looked at the weird crew cab cabover van in the background?

I don't hate the BMW btw. That drum brake though...

It's a truck called a Nissan atlas, they are great or terrible depending on whether or not you're a crew of drain layers.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Actually it's a diy DLC:

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
A question: what's the go with buying motorcycles in New Zealand? Is facebook marketplace king there?

I spent too long looking at the news the last couple of years and staring deep into my neurotic east european heritage and came to the conclusion that it's silly to die with money in the bank (and buying a house is an impossibility in Australia's market, so it's not like I have anything practical to spend on anyway). Ergo I'm trying to rack up some FUN EXPERIENCES before the looming collapse of civilisation.

I just did 8,000 miles on, God help me, an Aprilia Caponord across America in version 2.0 of a z3n facilitated trip I took a decade ago, and now I've regained my taste for questionable financial decisions and transformative experiences. NZ seems ... fun? And has a good amount of bunk-a-biker pins? How should I start sniffing out how to make a silly bike happen there for a few weeks?

(Note: While I'm open to one day being broke, I was also raised poor and never tugged my bootstraps hard enough to get anywhere above lower middle class, so I'm not swimming in cash. Perhaps I should rephrase this: what's the cheapskate market for used bikes like in NZ?.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Covid has obliterated the cheapskate market for working bikes, they don't exist anymore. Expect to pay 3-4k for a road legal ninja 250r.

Slightly broken bikes are still plentiful; the enormous, crippling hurdle of having to pass a trivial safety inspection means there's good stuff out there if you're prepared to do some work yourself.

Anything with sporty fairings, anything motarded, anything with a Harley badge - all massively overpriced. Otoh midsize ADV's, generic nakeds like the 919 or z1000 are quite cheap and usually owned by old men so they're in good shape. True old man bikes like fjrs and stuff are very cheap. The Hayabusa is at a value nadir ATM fwiw, before covid you could pick one up for ~5k.

Fb marketplace has both the best deals and the most diseases and scams. Trademe is the main go-to but the really good deals usually vanish within a couple of days or even hours; that being said there are loads of very good bikes that aren't "desirable" (read: hyped on the internet by morons) that stay on there for ages. If you set up email alerts on your criteria you can jump on some good stuff. There are also insurance auctions on there which are sometimes extremely good hidden deals.

The further away from Auckland you go, the cheaper they get. South island bikes are worth like 30% less just by virtue of being in the south island.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Covid has obliterated the cheapskate market for working bikes...

Hell yesss, this is exactly what I was after. Thank you.

A midsize adv would be fine for a country that enforces the speed limit, so hooray for fickle trends.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

LimaBiker posted:

BMW Blast

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dog Case posted:

BMW Blast

I laughed out loud

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

quote:

probably wouldn't even get around to getting it going again

no poo poo?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Someone tried to un-Habsburg a gladius:

Don't think I'll buy it for €4000 when I can get a current gen SV for another grand.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

This Grom has been popping up on craigslist on and off since late last winter and I can no longer keep it to myself. I'm pretty sure they've come down from around $4k initially.

The classy part is they've kept the delivery fee, when anyone that needs delivery within 10 miles is going to be a brand spanking new rider who is doing you a favor taking your trashed bike off your hands you loving dick

quote:

ONE OF A KIND "GROMSHELL" - START YOUR OWN GANG OF LIL' BANGERS

2015 Grom in good running order. Low miles. 100% stock drivetrain. Only upgrades are cosmetic: custom paint and decals, mirrors, adjustable-reach levers, and lithium-ion battery.

Has a salvage title because it got stolen and NOT because it had significant mechanical damage! It was recovered and is now registered, insured, and plated, so you can take it for a test ride. Title in hand.

My girl friend used to ride it, but she took a spill and is "done."
When it went down, the R mirror broke, the brake lever got scuffed, the muffler cover broke, a blinker got broken off, and the fender got scuffed. See pictures.

I can deliver it to you, after you see it in-person at my place, for $50 within first 10mi of 93109 plus $3/mi beyond that.
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/d/santa-barbara-gromshell-2015-honda-grom/7519046778.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is wrong with these people they are all the same and they all have brain damage

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

does cali let you register salvage titles? where i live its not realistic in to be able to register and insure a salvage title

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What did he do to it to bring mileage down to 50 mpg?

It should be getting 120 stock.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

yummycheese posted:

does cali let you register salvage titles? where i live its not realistic in to be able to register and insure a salvage title

Yes. Most insurers won't give you comp though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

What did he do to it to bring mileage down to 50 mpg?

It should be getting 120 stock.

My MT03 does 7-10 better mpg, it must be a typo or he never actually calculated it or there's a leak or or...

Anyway... found this today:

"2001 Suzuki Savage Ls650, Bike Is Cafe Converted, Has new exhaust ,fork, and Seat. Bike Has 22,000, but runs and ride great, just had carb rebuilt. I have multiple extra parts for the bike. Just got a newer bike and dont ride this one as much anymore. OBO"

Carbon fiber slipon doesn't really fit the look imo.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 9, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
"the look"

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

so many things to hate

lol at the belt drive conversion

but if i had to pick. I’d be the handle bar risers connected to nothing

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm the lorge battery just chillin' in the middle of the frame

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

My MT03 does 7-10 better mpg, it must be a typo or he never actually calculated it or there's a leak or or...

Anyway... found this today:

"2001 Suzuki Savage Ls650, Bike Is Cafe Converted, Has new exhaust ,fork, and Seat. Bike Has 22,000, but runs and ride great, just had carb rebuilt. I have multiple extra parts for the bike. Just got a newer bike and dont ride this one as much anymore. OBO"

Carbon fiber slipon doesn't really fit the look imo.

I've seen many, many hacked up dumb gently caress ls650's and consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur. This is definitely in my top 3 worst of all time, it's genuinely impressive.

yummycheese posted:

lol at the belt drive conversion

but if i had to pick. I’d be the handle bar risers connected to nothing

Both of those are factory!

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Going to have a hell of a time trying to bleed those brakes, open the reservoir and all the fluid will pour out.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Found what looks like bit of a gem, are 30 year old plastics/rubbers allowed to look that good?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Love it!

They can be shined up for the picture a bit, and some cellphone induced smoothing and low contrast does a LOT to make it look better than it is. But it could be in pretty good shape!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Found what looks like bit of a gem, are 30 year old plastics/rubbers allowed to look that good?

This looks really nice tbh

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I got quoted $2000 for this on the letitgo app if I pick it up, good deal or no dice?

mewse
May 2, 2006

PleasantDirge posted:

I got quoted $2000 for this on the letitgo app if I pick it up, good deal or no dice?

Only $2000? Wikipedia says that bike only had 3000 ever made. Is it missing a title or something?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
there's no way that's not a scam.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I think that bike is worth over 40k at this point.

Edit: a good one. A bad one is still probably north of 10k? Pulling that number out of nowhere.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Even if that were a dressed up nc30 it would be worth 3x that lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The extremely crappy low res photo says that it was pulled off google image search.

I mean, the real bike is easily worth 10k, so feel it out, just don’t get shanked over it.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

there's no way that's not a scam.

Unless it's me jacking around with you guys!

I didn't see the RC30 on the seat at first, it was supposed to be less obvious than that.

My buddy works at a p cool shop here in the Midwest and has some awesome stuff like this one come through the door fairly regularly in addition the the airplane they are currently building there.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the one case where "NO LOWBALL OFFERS I KNOW WHAT I GOT" might actually hold up

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

quote:

$20,500 firm for entire package
Almost 30K invested
Professionally built by Dave Welch @ Chopper City USA Middleburg Fl

Selling some toys towards boat purchase

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/d/washington-custom-harley-trike-2020/7522228179.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Phew…I was concerned that they wouldn’t tell us how much was invested.