Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Codependent Poster posted:

It was almost a month Ezra went without committing crimes! That we know of.

Haven't they been evading the authorities the entire time? I think that counts

Orc Priest posted:

uuhh isn't this they/them the one who was grooming minors? how does they/them keep getting a pass for this?

usually grooming is grounds for instant cancellation but not here. weird

Don't do that, that's not cute.
Also absolutely nobody in here is on Ezra's side don't try to pull that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Orc Priest posted:

uuhh isn't this they/them the one who was grooming minors? how does they/them keep getting a pass for this?

what are you doing here

site fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 9, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

The innovative thing about Maverick is that you generally had no idea who was going to live or die including the main protagonist. Add that to its amazing action, which due to the fact it was filmed by strapping people into speeding jets, and the nice and laidback vibe (for a movie about a possible suicide run), there's a reason why people are saying its amazing.

Marvel (most of which I really like) has a keeping it safe problem, and an attendant lack of action innovation, due to its assembly line manufacture. It's also innovate on its own due to its various settings, and places it takes its sci-fi/fantasy premises, but credit where credit is due. Maverick was great. And so are some Marvel movies! Both can happen at the same time!

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast with Maverick but it felt very weird that it was such a blend of the two franchises.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
WB just looking at their entire slate of upcoming poo poo and then choosing to tie Ezra loving Miller of all people around their own necks like an anchor just gets bleakly funnier and funnier.

Miller has millions upon millions of dollars and they're breaking into random homes to steal alcohol. That is not the act of a well person. Get them help and the last thing they need right now is a movie coming out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Marriage Night posted:

Kevin Smith also had a project in the works with WB/DC that got canned. Some Strange Adventures cartoon or something, I think.

Why is Kevin Smith doing a show about my hometown comic shop?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't he have an entire show about comic shops? Frankly, it seems entirely like something he'd do. But no, apparently he was working on an anthology show that, quick pitch time, sounds like "Twilight Zone but superheroes."

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
The Hood is one of those Brian K. Vaughan creations that you know in your heart would fit the MCU like a glove but upon execution quickly realize how limited the amount of stories you can tell with this character is that haven't been done better with others of his type in the MCU:v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 9, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

catlord posted:

Didn't he have an entire show about comic shops? Frankly, it seems entirely like something he'd do. But no, apparently he was working on an anthology show that, quick pitch time, sounds like "Twilight Zone but superheroes."
So, in other words, it was What If?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

catlord posted:

The show was about a specific shop he owns.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CapnAndy posted:

So, in other words, it was What If?

I went and looked up the article I read and this is what it says:

"Strange Adventures: Kevin Smith Confirms His DC Project Has Been Axed posted:

"I know we haven’t heard from them for a while, but I guess this goes in parts with the new moves with David Zaslav," Smith continued. "But good lord, I thought Strange Adventures being a causality kind of made sense to me. Nobody necessarily knows these characters; it sounded like an expensive show." Smith also clarified that the episode he was writing, and was aiming to direct, was going to focus on Perry White and Jimmy Olsen after Bizarro kidnaps the pair and takes them to Bizarro World.

Little is known about the Strange Adventures series but the original announcement in October 2019 noted that the series was intended as an anthology series. The show would comprise one-hour-long episodes that highlighted stories of superheroes and superpowers often causing more harm than good, acting as "cautionary tales" similar to Black Mirror.

Aphrodite posted:

The show was about a specific shop he owns.

Ah.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

catlord posted:

I went and looked up the article I read and this is what it says:
Ah, so What If? except not fun. That would have been entirely on-brand for DC.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

Yuck yuck.

Supposedly it was a anthology live action show. The episode he was going to direct/write was going to be about Bizarro and Jimmy Olsen, and they were going to try and get Nicolas Cage to play Bizarro.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Orc Priest posted:

all my updoots xD

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Orc Priest posted:

Jesus Christ you are one dumb motherfucker aren't you?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

Yeah. Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash in Red Bank, New Jersey.

Comic Book Men was in a lot of ways despite being reality TV staged very authentic, right down to the weird guy who was a fixture at the store and never seemed to do any work anywhere despite not being employed by the store or, as far as anyone could tell, employed anywhere.

Sadly they never did an episode where they had to deal with a customer who ordered a ton of stuff on their pull list and then never picked it up. 2/10.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karloff posted:

Yes, there was a bit of that, but truthfully I got needlessly wound up about silly film twitter dramatics which was foolish of me.

Happens to us all!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast with Maverick but it felt very weird that it was such a blend of the two franchises.

Yeah I can see that. Quentin Tarantino has an interview where he lavishes Maverick for replicating Tony Scott's style in the original and I can see that too.

E: Cannot believe that it was directed by the Tron guy, a lifeless, robotic movie

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Orc Priest posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I don't know what the hell this post is but I don't want to see anymore like it. Don't post in this thread anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I actually went to Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash and it was kind of disappointing. Not that I'm sure what I was expecting, but it was an average comic shop with a bunch of Kevin Smith merch. I guess that's what I should have expected, but the shop I went to in my hometown was waaaaay better as a comic shop.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Kevin Smith also had a project in the works with WB/DC that got canned. Some Strange Adventures cartoon or something, I think.

It was a big-budget, live-action DCU (DCEU?) anthology series that was announced alongside Green Lantern in fall 2019:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/green-lantern-strange-adventures-hbo-max-greg-berlanti-1203387210/

afaik it was barely even mentioned after the initial announcement, so I’m not at all surprised to hear that it’s dead

(fwiw Green Lantern is probably also dead, not confirmed yet but two of the leads were cast in spring of last year and there’s been no news since then)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
WB/Discovery plans to power through with a full $100+ million advertising and promotion campaign for The Flash regardless of what Ezra Miller does, but they will likely not be involved in any of the promotions or accessible to the press. The studio expects The Flash to be their highest grossing D.C. property release (previous record was $1.15 billion with Aquaman) and says that their test screenings have had the best test audience reaction of any D.C. movie. They also haven't ruled out keeping Ezra playing The Flash going forward.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1556779583390658560

WB/Discover won't rule out keeping Ezra as The Flash going forward if they can "tone it down" and "be on their best behavior" for the next year and the movie is a success.

quote:

There’s a timeline in which Miller does, in fact, get their act together and “The Flash” is able to seamlessly open while charming critics and fans alike. Though Miller’s behavior could certainly force Warners to make “The Flash” a one-and-done project, it’s not intended to be a one-off adventure. Despite it all, Warner Bros. remains enthusiastic about “The Flash,” believing the film to be one of DC’s strongest theatrical efforts.

They say that the controversy is around the actor and not the movie, so that would give them multiple years for the controversy to die down before a sequel or other movie starring Ezra would release. They think Ezra Miller is enough of an "under the radar" actor that most people won't be aware of the allegations against them and it will be forgotten in time.

quote:

In the past, actors who found themselves in hot water but did not get scratched from the call sheet have effectively been hidden on press tours in the hopes that the general public won’t notice their absence. Recently, Ansel Elgort, who played Tony in Steven Spielberg’s “West Side Story” remake, took that route in the wake of a sexual assault allegation levied against the actor in 2020. Ditto Armie Hammer, who starred in Disney and 20th Century’s “Death on the Nile” and faced sexual abuse allegations after filming was wrapped. For “West Side Story,” Elgort’s co-stars Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose and Rita Moreno successfully steered the film’s press tour. With “Death on the Nile,” there was a sense Hammer (who did not do any press for the ensemble-heavy movie) wasn’t enough of a household name for people to know about the allegations.

Sources close to “The Flash” believe that Miller is similarly under-the-radar, despite credits like the film adaptation of “The Perks of Being a Wallflower, “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Justice League” and three “Fantastic Beasts” installments.

They also ruled out doing any reshoots or editing because they already have at least $300 million budgeted into the movie for production and advertisement.

quote:

With “The Flash,” insiders say it would not be possible to replace Miller without reshooting the entire movie. They are in just about every scene, and there is not enough digital technology in existence to configure that magic without going back to square one. And redoing the entire film is not a realistic proposition for any movie — much less one that wrapped production months ago and already cost hundreds of millions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you keep it to misdemeanors only you can stay on the Justice League.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They also confirm that The Flash is intended to be a reboot of the entire DCEU and another reason why the studio won't shelve it for any reason.

quote:

The way the studio sees it, “The Flash” is more than a standard superhero origin story. The movie, which begins as Barry Allen travels back in time to prevent his mother’s murder, cracks open the DC multiverse, paving way for Batmans from alternate realities (namely, Keaton and Affleck) to overlap with Miller’s Spandex-clad hero. Just think of the potential sequels, spinoffs and team-ups that could inspire.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently this

Pathetic but not surprising from WBD

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Well, they did just catch a felony charge, so

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just think of the potential sequels, spinoffs and team-ups that could inspire.

Oh yes, Justice Bruce: Dawn of Batmen

They'll be drafting a Batman: Metal story with JokerBat in a month

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Soul Glo posted:

Well, they did just catch a felony charge, so

Not convicted. Could be plead down.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

To be fair, WBD is 100% committed to releasing the movie without any reshoots/recasts.

They aren't 100% committed to keeping Ezra and probably won't. They just aren't 100% ruling out them (publicly, at least) playing the Flash going forward, but apparently they are "discussing the future of the franchise" and plotting out a future path that doesn't require them, so they can move forward without them.

"Discussing a future without them being there" is not exactly "gone for good," but that is a pretty big indicator that, while they aren't tossing them overboard for The Flash, Miller most likely isn't sticking around either.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 9, 2022

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

one of these days i gotta finish The Boys s2

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Movie ends with a title card saying Barry Allen died on his way back to his home planet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They also just robbed their moms house. It's not like they are going around stealing things from people randomly.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Vintersorg posted:

They also just robbed their moms house. It's not like they are going around stealing things from people randomly.

Yeah you're right otherwise that would be a bridge too far

How many other people's kids are they hiding on that farm again?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who know's whats going on.

https://twitter.com/FlashFilmNews/status/1555231440501080064

You have stuff like this coming out too.

The account went into protected mode though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 3 or 4 other police forces charging them with crimes probably.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
robbery is okay as long as you're related to them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Vintersorg posted:

Who know's whats going on.

https://twitter.com/FlashFilmNews/status/1555231440501080064

You have stuff like this coming out too.

The account went into protected mode though.

Hmm.. yes. I think a tweet from "The Flash Film News" probably clears it all up and the multiple arrests, assaults, several children (who are not theirs) living in their basement that CPS described as dangerous, stockpiled ammunition being stored in the same room as a one-year old, and videos released by Ezra themselves were probably a series of improbable coincidences and misunderstandings spanning 5 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 9, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm just glad we've been able to hear from the objective source of Flash Film News.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a link to someone who was involved with them - who cares the source reporting it. And they took some alcohol from their moms house in May and will appear in court next month. They entered rehab according to the same account in June.

Here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg18XoVNoPG/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hmm yes, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for Ezra breaking into a couple's hotel room and screaming "I will bury you and your slut wife"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a link to the young adult they started grooming as a child, yes.