Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Snowy posted:

Cool thank you :)

Is there a preferred 3rd party case that works with the 2nd gen pencil? My cheapskatedness prevents me from buying apple cases

If you do want a cheapskate (but Apple made) case, often the smart folio cases released with previous gen iPads will get sold at a pretty deep discount, new, on places like eBay. I don't know why, because they're identical to the new ones but with different colour choices, but there you go. I got my smart folio case for maybe 30 quid, vs 80 from Apple's site? You just need to check that it's compatible and will fit the camera notch. But any 11' iPad pro or Air case should work with the iPad air.

It only really protects the screen and the back, which is ideal for my use case of chucking the thing in my backpack, so if you're likely to need something more rugged then definitely go for one of the chunky 3rd party cases, but for me those things make the device lose all its sleekness and it feels like something from 90's sci fi. Like Red Dwarf of The Fifth Element or something. Which is cool, in a way, I guess. Anyway what I also really love about the folio case is it just clips on magnetically, so it's really easy to take the ipad out of at a moments notice without having to pry out the edges like some other cases. Doubles as a stand too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just bought a new 64gb mini and carried over 6 years worth of random apps and games and I still have ~25gb space free. If your media consumption is mostly streaming 64gb is perfectly fine

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

I’ve been interested in getting an iPad for a long time but I’m cheap. Luckily for me I just found out I have credit card points I didn’t know about and have $400 in apple credit.

I’m looking at the 256gb Air-I only really want the thing for videos, SA on a bigger screen, and learning how to use procreate. The base model would probably be fine for me but maybe I’d want the second gen pencil.

Does that seem like a good first iPad choice these days?

Yeah I don’t like that either. I have the low end AirPods and I love them. I can keep them in my ears and barely notice them and the don’t block any sound. Great for use at work.

Just FYI the Apple Refurb store has these in stock for $100 off if you want to save a bit of cash. Official refurbs are as good as new and come with a full warranty and all accessories. Only think you'll miss out on is a pretty box - they come in a plain white one. Your credit should work on it no problem.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It's prob worth checking that they're M1 Airs and not 2020 airs - only because you'll miss out on a lot of stuff in the new iPadOS updates with the older machines.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Grumbles posted:

If you do want a cheapskate (but Apple made) case, often the smart folio cases released with previous gen iPads will get sold at a pretty deep discount, new, on places like eBay. I don't know why, because they're identical to the new ones but with different colour choices, but there you go. I got my smart folio case for maybe 30 quid, vs 80 from Apple's site? You just need to check that it's compatible and will fit the camera notch. But any 11' iPad pro or Air case should work with the iPad air.

It only really protects the screen and the back, which is ideal for my use case of chucking the thing in my backpack, so if you're likely to need something more rugged then definitely go for one of the chunky 3rd party cases, but for me those things make the device lose all its sleekness and it feels like something from 90's sci fi. Like Red Dwarf of The Fifth Element or something. Which is cool, in a way, I guess. Anyway what I also really love about the folio case is it just clips on magnetically, so it's really easy to take the ipad out of at a moments notice without having to pry out the edges like some other cases. Doubles as a stand too!

Awesome I’m going to look into this, thanks!

Endless Mike posted:

Just FYI the Apple Refurb store has these in stock for $100 off if you want to save a bit of cash. Official refurbs are as good as new and come with a full warranty and all accessories. Only think you'll miss out on is a pretty box - they come in a plain white one. Your credit should work on it no problem.

Thank you that does sound cool but I already went for a sweet sweet new blue one. It’s good to know though. And gently caress, I’m pretty excited to join the iPad club :)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Just joined iPad Pro gang, family member wanted an iPad and was willing to take my 4th gen iPad Air in exchange for buying an iPad Pro to replace mine

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone use Splashtop Wired (app that lets you use your iPad as a pc/Mac display)? I tried it mirroring my monitor, and though it works the frame rate is pretty bad (definitely lower than 30) and there’s a fair amount of lag (but at least it’s consistent). So good enough in a pinch, but not something I’d want to use regularly. It is free, though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Buff Hardback posted:

Just joined iPad Pro gang, family member wanted an iPad and was willing to take my 4th gen iPad Air in exchange for buying an iPad Pro to replace mine

Trade you a 4th gen iPad Air for your Pro :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Anyone use Splashtop Wired (app that lets you use your iPad as a pc/Mac display)? I tried it mirroring my monitor, and though it works the frame rate is pretty bad (definitely lower than 30) and there’s a fair amount of lag (but at least it’s consistent). So good enough in a pinch, but not something I’d want to use regularly. It is free, though.

Have you tried Duet display?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Have you tried Duet display?

No, because it's paid and I'm not sure if I'd actually use it enough to justify a purchase. I've read that it's considerably better, but still lags a little.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I assume you don’t have a new enough Mac and iPad to use sidecar/airplay mirroring?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Or they're using a PC

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Duet was the poo poo when I last tried it... oh, 7-8 years ago I think? I have no idea how it stacks up now but it can't be worse

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah pc

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I have the 12.9 and I've been considering duet for a long rear end time. If anyone has experience with duet and PC step forward

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If the poo poo I paid for is still valid, I'll give it a shot. I think it was just the app that cost, right?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

No I'm pretty sure duet is subscription? 20$ a year?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nah, there's a basic version that's a one time purchase.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I used Duet with my 2015 Thinkpad and an iPad mini 6. My Thinkpad couldn't stream very well, but I could Duet out to the iPad mini and the iPad mini could stream. It was... a pretty funny hack really

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Duet is good for Mac to iPad , haven’t tried it on windows but I could do tomorrow.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I can’t decide what to have engraved

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Ticonderoga HB #2"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Snowy posted:

I can’t decide what to have engraved

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:perfect:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

Duet was the poo poo when I last tried it... oh, 7-8 years ago I think? I have no idea how it stacks up now but it can't be worse

I used it last month with my PC and an iPad Air 4. It worked well enough that I could use my iPad as a crude cintiq for writing on a Miro board.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Cannot for the life of me to get display mirroring or external display workin with the 2021 iPad pro. Can anyone recommend a usbc dongle which they know for sure works, which I can plug an HDMI cable, a USB device, and a USBc charger cable into? I've so far been through two and neither seems to get the ipad to send HDMI to a display and I can't figure out why.

I'm using this one, if anyone has any insight as to why it wouldn't be working. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081VBSNRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 At one point through plugging in/unplugging stuff, I did get something up on my monitor, and then I was able to use display mirroring/external display w/ the iPadOS beta, but I haven't been able to get it to work since.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Grumbles posted:

Cannot for the life of me to get display mirroring or external display workin with the 2021 iPad pro. Can anyone recommend a usbc dongle which they know for sure works, which I can plug an HDMI cable, a USB device, and a USBc charger cable into? I've so far been through two and neither seems to get the ipad to send HDMI to a display and I can't figure out why.

I'm using this one, if anyone has any insight as to why it wouldn't be working. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081VBSNRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 At one point through plugging in/unplugging stuff, I did get something up on my monitor, and then I was able to use display mirroring/external display w/ the iPadOS beta, but I haven't been able to get it to work since.

From my experience adapters can be finicky as fuuuuuuck.

Have you tried the official Apple adapter?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...8c314db54f5dc23

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

From my experience adapters can be finicky as fuuuuuuck.

Have you tried the official Apple adapter?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...8c314db54f5dc23

No, because it's really expensive - hoping there's a more sanely priced option out there which actually works

edit: I found one used for 1/3 of the price at CeX. Let's give it a go. All I wanna do is be able to use stage manager on a big screen at work, so I can pretend I get to use a mac at work

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 6, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

No, because it's really expensive - hoping there's a more sanely priced option out there which actually works

edit: I found one used for 1/3 of the price at CeX. Let's give it a go. All I wanna do is be able to use stage manager on a big screen at work, so I can pretend I get to use a mac at work

Official will work, provided there’s enough power to the dongle from the USB-c power brick.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Grumbles posted:

That's kinda my point. You're now going on generic third party dongle #3 to find one that works. Some accessories don't really matter, but sometimes you gotta go with official brand products or ones from more reputable brands like Belkin or Logitech.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dongles that do video are absolutely in the buy once cry once category. Get the right one from the start.

Or at least get good at reading the fine print. If it only does 4k@30hz, it's a no sale. It means they cheaped out on components.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

xzzy posted:

Dongles that do video are absolutely in the buy once cry once category. Get the right one from the start.

Or at least get good at reading the fine print. If it only does 4k@30hz, it's a no sale. It means they cheaped out on components.

Yeah, 4k30 is only hdmi 1.x compliant.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Also the official apple adapter will get firmware update similar to the magsafe iphone charger or the magsafe battery pack.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's kinda my point. You're now going on generic third party dongle #3 to find one that works. Some accessories don't really matter, but sometimes you gotta go with official brand products or ones from more reputable brands like Belkin or Logitech.

Noooo as in I found an official one for 1/3 the price at CEX, which is a second hand electronics ship here in the UK. It was £30 as opposed to the £80 which Apple wanna charge new.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Noooo as in I found an official one for 1/3 the price at CEX, which is a second hand electronics ship here in the UK. It was £30 as opposed to the £80 which Apple wanna charge new.

Okay so I’ve been really curious about stage manager and have now had a couple of days to roadtest it as my main work monitor, because I generally find the mac interface a lot easier to focus in on work than a windows machine.
If they can iron out the kinks, this has the potential to be a killer feature - plug it into the monitor and you’re essentially getting an entry level mac for casual browsing/light office stuff. There’s just currently a lot of wonk to it. For example it always feels like you’re fighting against the windows to lay them out how you’d like them vs how Apple wants to curate them on the screen.

You can tell there’s a logic to how they sit - whether a window overlaps another or shares the screen with another, the kinds of set sizes that windows prefer to be - but the logic isn’t always obvious and although it does look really visually nice it feels like there should be a better middle ground between malleability and aesthetics. One of the strengths of iOS is that even though it’s really nice to look at, it also feels kind of effortless and invisible, and they haven’t quite nailed that balance here.

Also just a ton of bugs. A lot of apps in their current state clearly don’t like being resized, and you’re always hitting weird limitations. For example, if you want one safari window on the iPad screen and another on the monitor you’ve got to jimmy stuff around a little until it works as it should. And a lot of apps clearly just don’t like being resized or shared across screens. Google Docs in particular isn’t currently optimised for this (or does weird stuff where for example you’ll be typing on one screen and all text disappears off the other).

It’s still pretty great (with the caveat of overly curated window placement), and if they can iron out all the bugs I really think it turns the iPad into the tiny computer it was always meant to be, and really highlights how much the M1 chip has going for it. Probably wouldn’t use it without the second display on my 11’’ iPad though.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I'm still pretty annoyed my less than 2 year old pro is already feature obsolete.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still waiting for something that will force me to upgrade from my 2020 so I'm OK for now. But yeah, given that my work-assigned-wink-wink-personal 2018 Pro is still kicking -- if I had expected an M1 Pro to come out I would have just stayed with the 2018 in hindsight.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm still waiting for something that will force me to upgrade from my 2020 so I'm OK for now. But yeah, given that my work-assigned-wink-wink-personal 2018 Pro is still kicking -- if I had expected an M1 Pro to come out I would have just stayed with the 2018 in hindsight.

Yeah, mine's also a 2020 and stage manager isn't anything exciting enough that I'm going to run out and buy an M1, just doesn't give me a whole ton of confidence in future updates at this point when I purposely bought the Pro based on all the 'the hardware is way overpowered for the OS and it'll probably last 5+ years' and welp.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll definitely cling onto the 2020 for as long as I can, and even then I can still find uses for it as a youtube wall-hanger in the workout space or something, but definitely feeling you on that one. Bought top of the line at the wrong time :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I hear the new pros don't have as nice of speakers as the 2020s, so I am glad I got my 2020. But then I use mine mostly for watching TV.