Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

indigi posted:

almost certainly not, it isn’t a phrase that occurs in the wild

except of course,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S38ncrNoOzs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Nope was just kinda bad? What was even the point of the chimp stuff? Like Jordan just heard a story about chimp attacks and randomly threw that in there? Why do you have to look at the monster to get eaten? How did the horse magically figure out this nonsense plot device?

Then we are supposed to believe that the monster is a dumb carnivore outsmarted by horsey man who just knows animals so well, but he never really gets developed as a good horsey man? In fact he seems quite bad at horsing

The scene with all the people getting digested was pretty great, but most of this movie was a clumsy miss which I was not expecting at all

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Aug 9, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Congrats on missing literally all the extremely obvious subtext!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Nope was just kinda bad? What was even the point of the chimp stuff? Like Jordan just heard a story about chimp attacks and randomly threw that in there? Why do you have to look at the monster to get eaten? How did the horse magically figure out this nonsense plot device?

Then we are supposed to believe that the monster is a dumb carnivore outsmarted by horsey man who just knows animals so well, but he never really gets developed as a good horsey man? In fact he seems quite bad at horsing

The scene with all the people getting digested was pretty great, but most of this movie was a clumsy miss which I was not expecting at all

nope had a million set ups. We need money. We need to avenge dad. We need to not get swallowed up by the amusement park guy etc etc.

In the end it was just about killing the big bad with very little stakes. bad movie

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Congrats on missing literally all the extremely obvious subtext!

who likes subtext when the text itself is poo poo. you got your priorities backward

"I am really smart and the movie that was dull and anticlimactic was actually about something else you don't care about in the least, and that's why its good"

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
maybe nope.avi is more ur thing

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hm, I wonder if there's some kind of thematic connection between one character being severely traumatized by an animal attack in his youth, that same character trying to control an animal in his adulthood, and that animal only being defeated by understanding its behaviors and actions.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lol anti-life

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

X files rules.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The only two episodes of X files I’ve ever watched were one where Scully kills a evil doll by putting it in the microwave, and one where a video game character came to life and was killing people in real life laser tag.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

galagazombie posted:

The only two episodes of X files I’ve ever watched were one where Scully kills a evil doll by putting it in the microwave, and one where a video game character came to life and was killing people in real life laser tag.

Woah man, the truth is far-out there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Xfiles has a lot of ups and downs but it's probably the single best major tv show ever made, especially considering how long it went

It's better than all the prestige tv of the 00s and way more accessible than all the other nerd stuff like Stargate, trek, bab5, farscape etc

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
better call saul's second to last episode was fantastic, i even liked the fanservice scene with Jesse.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i can't wait a whole week so i'm saving up the last back half of the season to do all at once

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Making Gene an unrepentant dickhead as soon as he got a taste of being Saul again was the right creative choice. Having his breaking point being literally threatening a little old lady was a good way to tie in all this Sandpiper/Elder Law stuff into the finale. Whatever last bit of Jimmy is in there finally had his heart completely broken in that moment.
"I trusted you..."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Jimmy was never a good guy, Chuck was right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

Jimmy was never a good guy, Chuck was right

"our shenanigans are cheeky and fun, his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Evil shenanigans." - on the inner conflict between James McGill and Saul Goodman

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzPwLYs7Nas

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A random youtube video got me thinking about LOST again.

LOST was bad but also it was incredibly good. At the same time. Love that beautiful mess.

MonsieurChoc has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Aug 9, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

LOST was mad but also it was icnredibly good. At the same time. Love that beautiful mess.

There's some good poo poo in there, yeah. It really suffers from the era it was made in, I think the story would have massively benefited by being limited to the standard 10 - 12 episode seasons of TV we see now instead of having twice that PLUS season finales that were feature film length.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that was back when everybody watched the same shows, and talking about it with people the entire first season was very fun. i knew they wouldn't stick the landing and kinda checked out after season 2 but still finished it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

LOST was bad but also it was incredibly good. At the same time. Love that beautiful mess.

I loved it in the moment but I don't think I would ever want to revisit, I'd rather just have it exist in my memory as this time capsule of where I was in life when it was on-air.

Definitely agree that it would benefit from the current TV paradigm of 10-12 ep seasons if it were made today, but I absolutely would not want it on any streaming platform that would dump the entire season all at once.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

obligatory plug to watch The Leftovers if you're feeling any LOST nostalgia or never checked it out

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lost was intriguing from the get-go. i can't get through the first season of leftovers because it's too dour; i heard it gets more exciting later but ughhh

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t know what the gently caress is going on on Westworld at this point. They could have just had seasons showing what was going on in Raj World/Shogun World/Occupied Italy world/ Prohibition World, explored the characters, but nooo they decided to make Future World, already the worst part of the movie/book, and make it worse.

I bring this up because what I’ve heard repeatedly is that the showrunners thought what made LOST good was the audience not figuring it out. Reddit figured out the William/Man in Black, Arnold/Bernard twist early on in the first season, and so since then they have made their mission getting one over on the internet, even as it takes all of the fun out of the show and makes it a combination of naval gazing and difficult to understand for its own sake.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i say swears online posted:

lost was intriguing from the get-go. i can't get through the first season of leftovers because it's too dour; i heard it gets more exciting later but ughhh

there's a significant change up in setting, cast, and tone after season 1, definitely recommend trying to get through it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
2017's "Dark" filled a Lost-shaped hole in my heart

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

X Files had all the same problems that every show in the 90s had, it wasn't uniquely good or special. Namely that every episode had to be it's own capsule that never affected anything else in the world so you'd have an ep where some guy was astral projecting to murder senators or some poo poo and then it's just like ok case closed! and they'd move on to fighting a sewer monster next week like it never happened. And it was the 90s so of course there were about zero black or even kinda brown people in any season, it's hard to go back and watch that whites only poo poo nowadays.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Was Fringe good?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

i say swears online posted:

I feel you on that first season. It's well worth sticking through the first season.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think I got into it during season 3 or 4 and binged it using dvds borrowed from the library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgsNjTyGsRk

gradenko_2000 posted:

2017's "Dark" filled a Lost-shaped hole in my heart

Gonna have to check it out.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm just finishing up my first rewatch of The Leftovers since it originally aired. I remembered enjoying the third season when it was on, but goddamn - the ending of the Matt episode in s3 is such a good pay off

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

people gave Peele poo poo when he beat the audience over the head with the message of Get Out but maybe he was on to something if people can watch Nope and not understand why the Gordy stuff was included lmao

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i got why the gordy stuff was included but thought it didn't work and that overall Nope was a big disappointment

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I read some of the Snyder and Capullo run on Batman when it started. The Court of the Owls stuff mostly, which was fine. I have no idea how it turned into a Metal inspired cosmic saga with Joker Batman, but it seems like they had fun with it.

I'm more likely to go back to that run than the Batman run about PTSD written by a CIA officer.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Peele should try directing another writer's work next instead of only doing his own written material. Might help him grow as an artist. Would hate to see him go down the Shyamalan path

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

X Files had all the same problems that every show in the 90s had, it wasn't uniquely good or special. Namely that every episode had to be it's own capsule that never affected anything else in the world so you'd have an ep where some guy was astral projecting to murder senators or some poo poo and then it's just like ok case closed! and they'd move on to fighting a sewer monster next week like it never happened. And it was the 90s so of course there were about zero black or even kinda brown people in any season, it's hard to go back and watch that whites only poo poo nowadays.

The X-Files had some amazingly racist episodes, but it had non-white characters.

The namesake character, X, was Black.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Leftovers is maybe my favorite series of the past decade. starts good, gets better, sticks the landing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
props to the foley artist working on Leftovers who created the perfect sound for Kevin's penis flopping down onto the sensor bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Peele should try directing another writer's work next instead of only doing his own written material. Might help him grow as an artist. Would hate to see him go down the Shyamalan path

agreed! Us and Nope both borderline stinkers imo, kind of crazy making to see the effusive praise online for Nope (multiple people in CineD and Letterboxd said the chimp scenes were the scariest they've seen in years...... wtf........??) when it was imo a mildly amusing thriller with a silly alien and a good soundtrack

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Aug 9, 2022