Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The inflation bill has tons of incentives for all of that. Dryers, stoves, heat pumps, water heaters. It even includes cash for panel upgrades.

Good luck getting any of them.

I've tried for incentives for years now and I either make too much to qualify for them, need appliance sizes that are excluded, or the work has to be done by a certified professional who takes the rebate instead of the homeowner.

It's all a loving joke.

E: I sincerely hope it changes and that many people can make use of the rebates and incentives but if it's tied to your Areas Median Income like they have been in the past, then you're probably SOL. Basically, if you can afford a house you make too much to qualify and the people that do qualify can't afford a home to upgrade.

E2: I found a news article claiming the rebates are only available to households below 150% of AMI. So while that's more generous than usual, it's still going to exclude a lot of people because there's a lot of low income people that drag the AMI down, and the people in houses in a position to even think about upgrading are probably above that 150% threshold. I guess if you're a Boomer on social security and a bunch in savings this'll help you upgrade your McMansion or whatever.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
US homeownership rates are really high and prices were historically low so I would guess these incentives are aimed at older people in houses with a lot of deferred maintenance already.

Edit: It's going to do wild things when some of these boomer houses hit the market en masse. You see them right now with the same "Zestimate" for a poo poo one and one they spent money on like it was going out of style, and we're definitely going to see a great Boomer Upkeep Differential Reckoning one day.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm just glad the US government was able to put aside their partisan differences to agree to shovel more money into Boomers pockets at the continued expense of everyone else.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

E2: I found a news article claiming the rebates are only available to households below 150% of AMI. So while that's more generous than usual, it's still going to exclude a lot of people because there's a lot of low income people that drag the AMI down, and the people in houses in a position to even think about upgrading are probably above that 150% threshold. I guess if you're a Boomer on social security and a bunch in savings this'll help you upgrade your McMansion or whatever.

For those who do not qualify for these rebates, the Inflation Reduction Act will grant tax credits for a heat pump installation (up to $2,000) and other energy-saving installations, like an induction stove or new windows or doors (up to $1,200 a year).

Out of curiosity I looked up the AMI for my city and 150% for a single person would be 75K, there are huge swaths of homes around me that would benefit if the census data by zip is to be believed.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 8, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Qwijib0 posted:

For those who do not qualify for these rebates, the Inflation Reduction Act will grant tax credits for a heat pump installation (up to $2,000) and other energy-saving installations, like an induction stove or new windows or doors (up to $1,200 a year).

Out of curiosity I looked up the AMI for my city and 150% for a single person would be 75K, there are huge swaths of homes around me that would benefit if the census data by zip is to be believed.

I realize I'm being pessimistic but I'd wait until the fine print comes out before I sign any installation contracts. I can easily see them throwing in provisions that you have to have a 5 ton or greater heatpump installed to qualify, or a minimum of 30 windows, or something asinine to that affect.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

I realize I'm being pessimistic but I'd wait until the fine print comes out before I sign any installation contracts. I can easily see them throwing in provisions that you have to have a 5 ton or greater heatpump installed to qualify, or a minimum of 30 windows, or something asinine to that affect.

Found the relevant bits in the bill on page 346, and it looks a lot like the solar credits program except with the upper cap-- 30% of system cost up to a maximum of $2000. Windows are limited to $600/yr in claims, so I guess do a couple a year and really max out that benefit.

the guidelines for qualified systems for the rebate that expired in '21 were:

≥ 8.5 HSPF/ ≥15 SEER/ ≥12.5 EER* for split systems
≥ 8.2 HSPF ≥15 SEER/ ≥12 EER* for single package equipment including gas/electric package units.

so they might bump em a little, but 15 SEER / 12.5 EER isn't all that high for a heat pump these days.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 9, 2022

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The inflation bill has tons of incentives for all of that. Dryers, stoves, heat pumps, water heaters. It even includes cash for panel upgrades.

Last i heard the panel upgrade incentive was capped at 150% of the median local income.

Edit: I see we've gotten there.

Edit 2:

Qwijib0 posted:

Thought about this some more. What's the median home value in your area? Is it actually in reach of someone making 75K?

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 9, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Danhenge posted:

Last i heard the panel upgrade incentive was capped at 150% of the median local income.

Edit: I see we've gotten there.

Edit 2:

Thought about this some more. What's the median home value in your area? Is it actually in reach of someone making 75K?

Median home price in my area is 320K so juuust over the top end of affordable on an income of 75K, but that's up many percent over the past two years so I'd say that up to half the homeowners here would qualify for rebates.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

slurm posted:

Everything has to be electrified eventually and items with mass-produced drop-in replacements are an obvious place to start, but talk about a drop in the bucket if you're just doing stoves and not heating, dryers, water heaters, etc. all at once.

It's not like even the video claims it's gonna fix climate change so that's a complete strawman... But if you're changing stoves why not look into alternatives? Gas kinda has a lot of real disadvantages that are not climate related. Particularly their inefficiency and spewing heat around the room and also around the pots and pans itself and any utensils you might leave in the pan, small annoying things like that. The only reason I could see for gas was if I had a lot of old non induction pots and a bad electric supply. But if I had a decent electric supply I'd chose an electric stove over gas personally. I've cooked on those all my life and never had a problem. I was pretty surprised to hear that an electric actually boils a pot of water faster than gas at the same rating.

In my world gas is mostly relegated to the grill or camp stove.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego posted:

Yay, Samsung dryer stopped heating again. Looks like the last time I tore it down and replaced the heating element was 2018. I guess 4 years isn't bad for a replacement part.

I've ordered a replacement element, fuse, and thermostat kit so ideally I only have to take it apart once, diagnose, and then put it back together.

Fixed! It wasn't the heating element, it was the thermal fuse. Which I replaced. But I'm suspicious why it blew. If it goes again that indicates an overheating condition. I cleaned out the inside of the dryer as much as I could with a shopvac so hopefully that relieves anything caused by excess lint.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's not like even the video claims it's gonna fix climate change so that's a complete strawman... But if you're changing stoves why not look into alternatives? Gas kinda has a lot of real disadvantages that are not climate related. Particularly their inefficiency and spewing heat around the room and also around the pots and pans itself and any utensils you might leave in the pan, small annoying things like that. The only reason I could see for gas was if I had a lot of old non induction pots and a bad electric supply. But if I had a decent electric supply I'd chose an electric stove over gas personally. I've cooked on those all my life and never had a problem. I was pretty surprised to hear that an electric actually boils a pot of water faster than gas at the same rating.

Non-induction ranges have a significant lag time between temperature adjustment and the heating element providing that heat, which makes the element less responsive to adjustments through the cooking process. There's also a visual relationship between the size of the flame and the actual heat level. Induction takes care of the first one, and it sounds like the second one is a work in progress so maybe I can convince my fiance one of these days to switch away.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't think anyone is against induction or electric cook tops in general, but the sensationalism about how bad gas stoves are for you and the world and how evil natural gas providers are for existing is just over the top. Gas stoves are fine. Natural gas for residential use is fine. Everything will be electric eventually but there's no hurry to get there assuming your stove and stuff is setup right.

I personally like my gas because when ERCOT fails I can still cook food, heat my house, have hot water on tap, and run my little generator.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Gas costs a quarter of electricity.
How about they build a shitload of nuclear, PV and wind turbines, get electricity into the same ballpark at least, and then pester people to switch to electric.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Bonus points for spotting my assistant

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SpartanIvy posted:

I don't think anyone is against induction or electric cook tops in general, but the sensationalism about how bad gas stoves are for you and the world and how evil natural gas providers are for existing is just over the top. Gas stoves are fine. Natural gas for residential use is fine. Everything will be electric eventually but there's no hurry to get there assuming your stove and stuff is setup right.

I personally like my gas because when ERCOT fails I can still cook food, heat my house, have hot water on tap, and run my little generator.

Like I said, if you're changing stoves anyway. Not rip out what you got.

Also gas prices are increasing and will likely stay higher as the US exports more gas to the germans to huff on, so that economic angle might change too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the plumber is here. the good news is that they will go out far enough with the tile such that all of the bordering drywall that was damaged will be moot. basically the thing you step over will go until the end of the wall opposite the shower head side, so that piece of baseboard and moulding on each side will be removed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SpartanIvy posted:

Gas stoves are fine. Natural gas for residential use is fine.

A new study came out this year.

quote:

To guage the impact of these emissions, researchers measured three key gasses from stoves in 53 homes across seven California counties. The team chose two gasses—methane and carbon dioxide—because of their contribution to climate change, and selected nitrogen oxides because of their known risk to human health. The scientists set up plastic partitions between the kitchens and other rooms and used instruments that measure wavelengths of light to determine the concentration of certain gases.

To their surprise, they found that more than three-quarters of the methane emissions happened when both old and new gas stoves were turned off.

The most significant health risks happen when the stove is lit, the authors note, because the process creates nitrogen dioxide as a byproduct. Increasing airflow by using a range hood can help reduce the personal health risk of natural gas-burning appliances, but most individuals report rarely using their ventilation system.

In a small kitchen, it only took a few minutes of unventilated stove use to generate emissions levels above national health standards. According to a meta-analysis from 2013, children living in homes with gas stoves were 42 percent more likely to experience symptoms associated with asthma, and 24 percent more likely to be diagnosed with lifetime asthma.

In addition to health risks, natural gas burning stoves also imperil the planet by releasing methane. While carbon dioxide gets the most attention in conversations about climate change, methane is a huge contributor to planetary warming. Following carbon dioxide, methane is the second most abundant greenhouse gas that humans have pumped into the atmosphere, accounting for about 20 percent of global emissions. Although methane dissipates more quickly than carbon dioxide, it is especially concerning because of its heat-trapping power, which is more than 25 times as potent as carbon dioxide. The team estimated that stoves emit between 0.8 and 1.3 percent of the natural gas they consume as unburned methane.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Read back in the thread a bit and you'll see all these points argued already.

The tldr is that people need to use a vent hood and that residential gas cooktop use is such a small piece of global warming it's inconsequential and basically just industry trying to shift the perceived burden of global warming onto consumers.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 9, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you also can only use a range hood if you have ducting available that goes from it's location to outside, which not a lot of people do (or it's cost prohibitive). where i live, a few of the townhomes have the oven location against a wall where the opposite side is... outside, so some of them have put in a vent there, but many do not.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

actionjackson posted:

you also can only use a range hood if you have ducting available that goes from it's location to outside, which not a lot of people do (or it's cost prohibitive)

Well if you want to bring cost into it, what do you think is cheaper? Running a 50 amp circuit to the kitchen or putting in ventilation ducting?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Getting a proper vent hood installed is on the to-do list, but I’m gonna pay someone for that. Should be easy, it’s a punch straight out the wall scenario above the stove but brick exterior makes that a bit more of a pain in the rear end.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Well if you want to bring cost into it, what do you think is cheaper? Running a 50 amp circuit to the kitchen or putting in ventilation ducting?

most people have an above range microwave that has ventilation, which is not ideal but better than nothing. so there's really no additional cost as this is pretty standard in american housing at least

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

devmd01 posted:

Getting a proper vent hood installed is on the to-do list, but I’m gonna pay someone for that. Should be easy, it’s a punch straight out the wall scenario above the stove but brick exterior makes that a bit more of a pain in the rear end.

Sure it's plenty easy...

... as long as you don't have a gas line, condensate drain, and A/C line set all running through the stud bay that you have to punch through.

Ya know, like some houses that I may or may not currently live in...

actionjackson posted:

most people have an above range microwave that has ventilation, which is not ideal but better than nothing. so there's really no additional cost as this is pretty standard in american housing at least

When we're talking about combustion gasses, a recirculating fan is not the same as an exterior vent. Unless you have non-standard filtration, all you're doing is moving

Those are meant to capture grease and maybe some smoke/odor if they have a charcoal filter, not methane or CO2.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, finally 100% done with my upstairs. Metal roof is on, windows are replaced, rotted out dormers replaced, upstairs AC unit now drains properly from both main unit and drain pan.

As always, huge pain in the rear end with fixing larger problems slanting down into fixing incrementally smaller problems

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 9, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

When we're talking about combustion gasses, a recirculating fan is not the same as an exterior vent. Unless you have non-standard filtration, all you're doing is moving

Those are meant to capture grease and maybe some smoke/odor if they have a charcoal filter, not methane or CO2.

Microwave vent hoods can be exterior vented. Every single one I've ever removed or installed has provisions for both. So simply being a microwave vent hood doesn't mean it's recirculating.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

Microwave vent hoods can be exterior vented. Every single one I've ever removed or installed has provisions for both. So simply being a microwave vent hood doesn't mean it's recirculating.

Maybe I misread the post, but I was assuming the word "most" in the context of the conversation was meant to say that in the absence of external ventilation, then at least the built-in fan was better than nothing.

Because while most OTR microwaves CAN be exterior vented, the vast majority are not in my experience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Because while most OTR microwaves CAN be exterior vented, the vast majority are not in my experience.

Like most things in homes, this is a VERY highly "where you live" dependent thing. And it's much more common in single family homes and duplexes. And things that aren't suffering from a lovely 90s/early 2000s kitchen remodel.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Maybe I misread the post, but I was assuming the word "most" in the context of the conversation was meant to say that in the absence of external ventilation, then at least the built-in fan was better than nothing.

My Microwave hood is exterior vented. As is my parents.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah mine just recirculates, it has options to vent outside but that won't work with my space, I almost never use the (electric) stovetop though so I don't really pay attention

it looks like it's a 400 cfm fan with a charcoal filter

i realized that vertical ducting to the roof could have been an option, but they didn't put that in lol

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 9, 2022

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I use gas for heat and hot water but went induction for the new stove I get next month.

When I bought the house 10 years ago it had electric baseboard heat and a window air conditioner. I had ductwork put in and a gas furnace installed, which left no space for a traditional tank water heater, so I had to get a tankless. I love that water heater. Endless hot water and uses surprisingly little gas. My summer gas bill is really just the basic service charge.

The switch from baseboard to furnace also cut my cold month (basically 9 months out of the year around here) electric bill in half. You couldn't pay me enough to go back.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
When i lived in buffalo, i had a few friends who had electric baseboard heat and their apartments were always just this side of unlivable in the winter because they couldn’t afford the electricity. A bad storm that knocked the power out for a few days could be a threat to life. I’m sure it’s tolerable in a newer place with modern insulation but that sure isn’t any of the cheap housing stock in the northeast.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hey I live in Buffalo! And 1/4 (yes, one quarter) of my house is baseboard. It sucks! I want to switch it to radiant floor, but that work would be tied into renovating a kitchen + installing a large sliding glass door and a bathroom remodel and and and

Here's my question: I'm considering installing an outdoor outlet to run a landscape lighting transformer on. Living in Buffalo, as one does, we get snow that can pile upwards of 3' or even more in the area it would be installed. Do I need to install the outlet above the snowfall line? Or can a low voltage transformer run off an outdoor rated gfci year-round, underneath a foot of snow?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SpartanIvy posted:

Read back in the thread a bit and you'll see all these points argued already.

The tldr is that people need to use a vent hood and that residential gas cooktop use is such a small piece of global warming it's inconsequential and basically just industry trying to shift the perceived burden of global warming onto consumers.
You missed the part about the increased rates of childhood asthma, I take it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I have a 2 story house with separate upstairs and down stairs AC units and the upstairs is a split zone between the 2 rooms with individual thermostats and ac filters/intakes. One room is over the garage and the other is one the main house, both fully insulate and the stairs leading up do not have a ac vent in them.

Is it more efficient to have each room closed off or leave both doors open. When the doors are closed we have a hot air pocket at the top of the stairs and when opened the temperature seems to be fine in the stairs. The rooms are hobby rooms for my wife and I and are not used super frequently through out the day, more like popping in and out a few times a week.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You missed the part about the increased rates of childhood asthma, I take it.

Having children is not a prerequisite to buying a stove, and many people including myself don't want or have any kids, so why would I care about that?

Also I grew up in an all electric house and had severe asthma as a child anyway so :shrug:

E: also venting your stove properly would probably reduce the asthma impact, but again, none of these studies differentiate between properly and improperly vented stoves

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 9, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A comfortable bathroom that you love is important and exciting!!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I realize it's a byproduct of where you live, but gently caress not having a stove without an outside venting range hood in my house, regardless of the type of range.
53 houses across 7 counties in one state is not exactly a large a sample size. I'm not saying I know how many you need to be significant, but I'm pretty sure that's less than ideal.

I did see that meta analysis it linked and it seems to be properly done (compared to some of those pseudoscience ones I've read at least) but once again, being world wide with a by nature retroactive look in time over decades(ranges of various quality/valves over long periods of time) and including very small square footage living spaces (euro and asian apartments) I'm not sure how well that would equate to a modern north American household with a new range.

But, breathing raw natural gas is probably not a great idea either way. All things being equal, I could be talked into trying a new induction unit but I looooove gas.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I love gas, too. I also think that the newly analyzed safety hazards would keep me from converting a house from electric into gas. Otherwise, I might have considered going to the enormous hassle of running piping from our propane tank into the house, then finding a gas stove that handled propane. I bought a propane-powered wok burner, so this isn't as much about environmental virtue as it is about getting combustion byproducts out of my house and into the wide outdoors.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think for a truly informative study they need to do a few things.

First and most importantly they need to differentiate between households with non-vented, microwave vented outside, and actual vent hood venting outside setups. Additionally, some more investigation into where the stoves are leaking gas when they're off. Specifically if it is from the flex hose connecting the stove to the wall, or is it from the valves or some other component? The first is from a poor installation and easily avoided/fixed, the other is a possibly more widespread and legitimate concern. Finally, and this is a stretch goal, they should do blower door tests on the houses in the study and take the houses air leakiness into account. The air quality of a modern super-tight house is going to be way worse with a gas stove than a 1920's house that doesn't even have a subfloor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

We bought our house a few years ago and it had an electric stove. We were all prepared to switch to gas but after seeing the study information and reading about how much people like induction, we just went with induction. We got the ~$1300 one with great reviews that's recommended by everyone. Heats real fast, and the smooth cook top is great. No complaints.