Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, but it was like farm bozja fates at 1%, or farm Crystal Tower. A choice, but they both sucked.

I think I have more of the CE/Crystal Tower gubbin for the first step of the tier 2 weapon than you can ever use, just from doing ADR. However, I was leveling all my jobs to 80 at the time, and getting all my jobs to 90 in Endwalker in comparison barely took any time at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My perfect zone would be the look and vibe of Eureka with the mechanics of Bozja.

Bozja's mechanics with critical engagements was very good. Unfortunately, I think Matsuno is loving awful at writing anything even remotely approaching interesting and SoFro/Zadnor were the two most boring zones ever added to the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Allarion posted:

Also a lot of mats weren't initially available through poetics if I remember right, that was just something that happened as they gradually nerfed the relic steps in future expansion patches. Like I'm positive Aether oil was literally just re-running Crystal Tower repeatedly, and Crystal Sand was a lot more troublesome without a crafter.

There were a few steps that locked you to a single path (CT, dungeon progression), but most of them were varied, or just based off poetics which by their nature are a bit varied, from the start.

I'm a clown who did 2 relics at launch, so I remember.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

What's wrong with HW style relics? They gave the player a choice on how to complete most steps, rather than grind this specific set of garbage.

Glorified mogtome event, but i feel like we have enough incentives to run old content we don’t need another relic to do it on its main path

Most of the Bozja relic sent you out for old content anyways.

Yeah, but it was like farm bozja fates at 1%, or farm Crystal Tower. A choice, but they both sucked.

Bad news what those pre nerf rates are going to look like lol. They probably won’t throw anything as arduous as books but make no mistake the grind will ramp up to be a long haul as steps get released. This is long term current progression path after all

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man I love the Bozja theme

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Allarion posted:

Also a lot of mats weren't initially available through poetics if I remember right, that was just something that happened as they gradually nerfed the relic steps in future expansion patches. Like I'm positive Aether oil was literally just re-running Crystal Tower repeatedly, and Crystal Sand was a lot more troublesome without a crafter.

There were many ways to get crystal sands and they all sucked at first. It wasn't until they depreciated blue scrip that crafting became easy because you were buying old stuff at a severely reduced price.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my big fear is they're gonna give you a good reason to run 50/60/70/80

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, Bozja was basically one of the only times where I’ve ever just outright said “IDGAF about this story or these characters any more”.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RME posted:

Glorified mogtome event, but i feel like we have enough incentives to run old content we don’t need another relic to do it on its main path

Most of the steps had non-dungeon ways of completion. Crafters, potd, beast tribes, GC seals and maps could all be used for some steps, in addition to raids, both CT and Alexander, and the existing trials and dungeons. That's far more variety than any of the more recent ones.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Arist posted:

Man I love the Bozja theme

Blood on the Wind is one of my favorite tracks in the game. More than any other battle theme in the game it feels extremely jRPG to me, like I can just imagine the random encounter splash transition to battle screen in my head as it starts up

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chillgamesh posted:

Blood on the Wind is one of my favorite tracks in the game. More than any other battle theme in the game it feels extremely jRPG to me, like I can just imagine the splash transition to battle screen in my head as it starts up

Wrath of the Harrier is up there for me

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't like FATES

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Bozja loving sucks. Sorry. I would rather do old content for ever than that dogshit.

Here, grind this blasted out warzone that is loving boring to look at while Matsuno huffs his own farts for 20 hours.

The only thing dogshit is this opinion.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Vitamean posted:

my big fear is they're gonna give you a good reason to run 50/60/70/80

I still run it for Alexandrite lol

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
X0 roulette has some of the best dungeons in it.

They should make Unreal dungeons and level some of them up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, there's a Mogtome event going on? Oh poo poo, the Ufiti horn is a reward!? I completely missed this, time to do a lot of MSQDR!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I don't like FATES

this makes me think if the first step of the new relics have you grinding fates it might be a good idea to offload any bicolor vouchers you have lying around, before 6.25 cause those are gonna dip

alternatively buy in after

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Allarion posted:

I still run it for Alexandrite lol

if you're capped on poetics you can load up on alexandrite maps and sweep that step in an hour

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vitamean posted:

this makes me think if the first step of the new relics have you grinding fates it might be a good idea to offload any bicolor vouchers you have lying around, before 6.25 cause those are gonna dip

I have a sneaking suspicion they won't have any FATE-focused event involve ShB or EW FATEs until they introduce a new Shared FATE currency. I bet they'll implement a new one in 7.0 and then add another new currency every two expansions like how hunt currency works, where HW and SB share Centurio Seals and ShB and EW share nutsacks.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/superlouis_64/status/1557022892365213697?s=21&t=6g4BHMEA3EbVaqQ8UpTrPw

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wrath of the harrier and Dal Riada in general are p good

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Going back to the ARR / HW method for relics seems like a massive step back. I was indifferent to Bozja, but it at least was at-level and had some neat lost actions to do. Having to do level 50 dungeons again for example might drive me crazy if they don't offer a current content level 90 experience for doing relics.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vitamean posted:

I really hope it is Fate grinding, because I've been meaning to finish the EW shared fates for awhile, but I don't think I've finished any of them besides Labyrinthos

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have to imagine they would offer two progression tracks again, one from doing criterion dungeons and one from doing old content. And so on with the later patch content like deep dungeon 3

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Chillgamesh posted:

I think I have more of the CE/Crystal Tower gubbin for the first step of the tier 2 weapon than you can ever use, just from doing ADR. However, I was leveling all my jobs to 80 at the time, and getting all my jobs to 90 in Endwalker in comparison barely took any time at all.

The annoying step in the (repeat) Resistance Weapon quest chain is the Timeworn Artifact one. I've gotten a lifetime's supply of Loathsome and Bitter Memories and maybe a dozen Raw Emotions from doing queues, mogtomes, catbooks, etc over the last year. I have gotten 0 Timeworn Artifacts.

I should just go run through a pile of Delubrum speedruns whenever I feel like getting a new appearance, but it's irksome that they're so limited in their sources compared to the rest.

The ShB relic collect-a-thon is still not nearly as bad as the ones for Stormblood or ARR relics, even including the one-time steps.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd expect both the normal version of the criterion dungeon and the new deep dungeon, when it arrives, will be part of relic progression.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FATE grinding is the most godawful content in this game (aside from a few long-abandoned systems nobody cares about) and anything that encourages doing FATEs repeatedly rather than just one or two at a time while you wait on a duty timer sucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The only thing dogshit is this opinion.

The wild thing is, I love Final Fantasy Tactics. But I've come to realize that I only like Matsuno when he's constrained in his writing. The more power he has to write novels of text, the less I'm interested in anything he has to say.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Gimme FATESs and new BLU levels/spells to do them with!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mordiceius posted:

The wild thing is, I love Final Fantasy Tactics. But I've come to realize that I only like Matsuno when he's constrained in his writing. The more power he has to write novels of text, the less I'm interested in anything he has to say.

I've got a friend who likes Matsuda's writing but thinks his work in FFXIV sucks (both return to ivalice and bozja).

I just think the writing sucks because this XIV content is the only Matsuda plotting that I have read.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The best part of Bozja was that Viera with the sunglasses.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Xerophyte posted:

The annoying step in the (repeat) Resistance Weapon quest chain is the Timeworn Artifact one. I've gotten a lifetime's supply of Loathsome and Bitter Memories and maybe a dozen Raw Emotions from doing queues, mogtomes, catbooks, etc over the last year. I have gotten 0 Timeworn Artifacts.

Yeah, I'm stuck at the Timeworn Artifacts step on two Resistance Weapons because grinding Delubrum sucks, even if it is only 3 runs per weapon, and the alternative source for Timeworn Artifacts is Palace of the Dead. Doing Palace would be a great alternative, but the drop rates are terrible before you get to floor 100, meaning you're stuck slogging your way through at least 50 floors of garbage until you can start seeing actual progress on your goal.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Detheros posted:

The best part of Bozja was that Viera with the sunglasses.

And the worst part was the attempted pairing of Cid and Makoto.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, Bozja was basically one of the only times where I’ve ever just outright said “IDGAF about this story or these characters any more”.

Gotta agree. I tried to care. I did. But the zone was nothing but a grind-fest by design, and it showed, and it's boring as gently caress compared to most other parts of the game.

I have multiple 90's with near-BIS gear and I still think the farthest I got in Bozja was like level 15 because...why.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

Yoshida dropped some info on 6.2. Contains some pretty vague and general story spoilers if you wanna give that miss, but there's some interesting stuff in there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/wjvj19/yoshida_interview_on_62_new_info_on_main_story/

Of note is that there's no housing element to Island Sanctuary at all, and that the delayed reworks for AST and DRG were not as comprehensive as the EW SMN rework, they were more on the level of the early-ShB NIN rework. Variant dungeons are also gonna have something like Pomanders or Logos/Lost actions

Also, (6.2 gameplay/story) 6.2 is gonna have a trial but Yoshida won't say whether or not if it's part of a series. Scarmiglione is mentioned but he didn't say if it was a dungeon or trial boss

More specifically, DRG was gonna lose some buttons, and they were going to change AST cards yet again, with a debate over the RNG aspect. Man, they've never been satisfied with AST cards and will never be.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Because it's fun and you get to have something like 350,000 HP and top the DPS charts as a WHM.

The CEs were good mini-bosses with their own unique mechanics to learn.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm curious to their plans, because I think Dragoon is in the best shape it's ever been. AST openers are still poo poo, but otherwise I've been pretty happy with them too.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mordiceius posted:

And the worst part was the attempted pairing of Cid and Makoto.

That was pretty cringeworthy. Trying to force him to cheat on Nero like that

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

confused as to someone citing FFT as an example of restrained writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Most of the steps had non-dungeon ways of completion. Crafters, potd, beast tribes, GC seals and maps could all be used for some steps, in addition to raids, both CT and Alexander, and the existing trials and dungeons. That's far more variety than any of the more recent ones.

They basically ditched the crafted step after ARR letting you just use GC seals and I’m not really sure you’re getting the point here just cause it was a dump for a few currencies and not just one and most of this is covered under being incentive to queue up for old content like mogtomes