Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Scholar's probably better suited to the general vicinity of Nym.
Warrior could take Limsa then - even if that's not a perfect fit, the city-state IS training their own now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Warrior is absolutely Limsa. Almost every quest involves Gorge cooperating with Limsan authority figures.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Warriors are from Abalathia's Spine, which you can't really get to, but some ruins in the Dravanian Forelands might fit. Or the volcano in the Ruby Sea to get a similar aesthetic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BLU should be on the beach of Kholusia with another player conspicuously nearby in shot

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

OK I can do warrior for Limsa. Nym is def lore appropriate for scholar but not much to show off for a setting, I kinda also want the locations to be a good tour of the game too. Hmm Bozja also not very photogenic, really, either.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's not a close thematic fit but you could use Rak'tika or Lakeland for Gunbreaker.

e: or Ahm Arang

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm starting sage now and actually maybe it should be idyllshire

also this class unlock npc has a unique face right don't think ive noticed it before

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

GloomMouse posted:

Do we actually know how the 13th is hosed up? Like yeah the critters are aether starved, and some of them have minds enough to talk to. But was the aether just all aligned to dark but not funneled to the source right, and/or most of it rendered inaccessible to the 13th people. Or destroyed, or shot into space, or split evenly into the other reflections or what.

The 13th is aligned to Dark, so everything basically turned into magical cancer and went insane. You could probably posit, seeing what The First is like, that everything is 'Aether Starved' because there is no free aether, it's an entirely predatory cosmology where everything MUST predate on everything else. Aether is continually flowing towards the biggest, hungriest, meanest thing from lesser beings.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gearhead posted:

Physical transformation seems to be a hard 'nope' on restoring a person to how they were.

Which is one of the things that frustrates me about stuff in the job and role quests being sectioned off from the MSQ, because the Shadowbringers Healer Role quests and level 80 Scholar quest deal with creating a spell to reverse the tonberry transformation based on a similar spell that Lamitt used to cure the dwarves of a plague that had transformed them.

Take that spell, add it in to the anti-tempering porxies and boom, even the most severely tempered individual has a chance of being returned to normal, in theory. But it'll never come up in the MSQ because it relies on having done Scholar up to 80 and done the ShB Healer quests.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

W.T. Fits posted:

Which is one of the things that frustrates me about stuff in the job and role quests being sectioned off from the MSQ, because the Shadowbringers Healer Role quests and level 80 Scholar quest deal with creating a spell to reverse the tonberry transformation based on a similar spell that Lamitt used to cure the dwarves of a plague that had transformed them.

Take that spell, add it in to the anti-tempering porxies and boom, even the most severely tempered individual has a chance of being returned to normal, in theory. But it'll never come up in the MSQ because it relies on having done Scholar up to 80 and done the ShB Healer quests.

We can't be sure that transformation is related to the transformation that comes from throwing someone's aether out of alignment due to stagnation. They could be two different things.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The tonberry stuff is a disease, that's a fundamentally different problem to solve.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

The tonberry stuff is a disease, that's a fundamentally different problem to solve.

It's a disease that was magically created and propagated by a voidsent. Most normal diseases don't have the side effect of warping your physical form into a stumpy little green monster person.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

W.T. Fits posted:

It's a disease that was magically created and propagated by a voidsent. Most normal diseases don't have the side effect of warping your physical form into a stumpy little green monster person.

Yeah, but it's not quite the same as 'Your aether got whammied so bad that you're made of fire now.' It might be related. But we simply don't know yet.

I have a feeling we're about to find out more, though.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
are tonberrys just afflicted lalas specifically, or can a roe be a tonberry as well?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zeruel posted:

are tonberrys just afflicted lalas specifically, or can a roe be a tonberry as well?

Where do you think Tonberry Stalkers come from?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeruel posted:

The citizens of Nym were primarily, if not exclusively, lalafel. There's no evidence that that any non-lalas were inflicted, but it's probably a possibility.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
YoshiP did an interview with 4gamer on 6.2. A lot of it's stuff that's been gone over, but he does elucidate a bit further on Island Sanctuary, as well as noting the potential balance concerns in delaying Savage by a week.
Here's the DeepL translation for Island Sanctuary:

4gamer interview posted:

Now, please tell us about the other main feature of patch 6.2, "desert island development". First of all, will it be possible to match up with content while staying on a deserted island?

Mr. Yoshida: Yes, it is possible.
 Yes, it is possible. We created this zone in a very special way because we knew that there would be many requests for it. We have made it possible to use the Content Finder to match people while they are on the desert island and doing various things, so please don't worry.

4Gamer.
 Okay, I understand. Next, you mentioned that facilities can be built on uninhabited islands, but will they be set up in a specific location? I saw that there are still buildings on the island, so I was wondering if we will be able to renovate those buildings.

Mr. Yoshida: No.
 No, there are no traces of any buildings, but there may have been a time when there were people on the island. The area where they will be based is slightly open, but there are no signs of buildings. The area where the base of operations is located is slightly open, but in other areas, facilities cannot be built without first clearing the forest and creating space. The amount of space that can be cut open is fixed, but after the facilities are built in three locations (A, B, and C, for example), players can select the buildings they want to build in each of these locations. You can put two specific facilities to promote a particular development, or you can build three separate facilities.

4Gamer:.
 Does this mean that the buffs given to the player will change depending on the type of building?

Mr. Yoshida: Yes.
 It's not so much about buffs as it is about increasing the degree of freedom in the middle of the development stage. Some buildings excel at manufacturing, others help with gathering activities, and others have different functions. There are also buildings that we call landmarks, simply because of their appearance.
 If you could build anywhere you wanted, it would be a fundamentally different map system, so although the locations where buildings can be built are fixed, you are free to decide what to build, where to build it, and whether to move it after it is built.

4Gamer:.
 When it comes to manufacturing, I understand that you can buy and sell artifacts obtained from settling uninhabited islands to earn special currency, which can then be exchanged for rewards.

Mr. Yoshida: I'm not sure.
 There are mounts, minions, and of course titles, as well as fashionable equipment. Materia and other items that you might use on a daily basis can also be exchanged. We haven't included anything related to strength, so please don't be pressed for time, and remember to play in your spare time.

4Gamer: By the way.
 By the way, is there a limit to the number of minions that can be placed on a desert island?

Mr. Yoshida: Yes, there is a limit.
 There is a limit, but you can have more minions than you think. They can be set free not only in the pioneer base but also in other places. When the base has developed a little, the minions will be released and you will be able to select minions from a special interface and choose the minions you want. ......
Plus, a few images for Pandæmonium: Abyssos not yet on the main patch site, including the man himself.

They also talk about Criterion dungeons a bit - apparently, due to the set-up, they've designed bosses where each player kind of has their own things to worry about instead of only their normal role tasks.

Also an amusing little exchange on the main story.

quote:

4Gamer.
 I'm sorry to have to preface this, but can you give us an overview of the main quest in patch 6.2?

Mr. Yoshida: Yes. Patch 6.1, "A New Adventure," presented the possibility of "other worlds. Patch 6.2 will be the part where we finally "step into the Void". We are going to go straight into the Void to meet your expectations. We will also be responding to the ...... question about characters that you may or may not know, so I hope you can expect that to be the first thing to be straightforward.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 9, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Another example of physical transformation not affecting the mind are the Ishgard "heretics" who are now stuck in dragon like bodies. I'm not sure if that's comparable to what happened to the Tonberries or not (on an aetheric level, obviously it wasn't a disease as such).

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 9, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

twist the void is the island sanctuary. we’re building traverse town

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Another example of physical transformation not affecting the mind are the Ishgard "heretics" who are now stuck in dragon like bodies. I'm not sure if that's comparable to what happened to the Tonberries or not (on an aetheric level, obviously it wasn't a disease as such).

They got alien DNA'd. It's a bit of a unique situation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That's true, dragons are literally aliens. Easy to forget about that

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I don't think the dragon blood transformation is related to tempering at all. I know there are references to heretics being tempered by Shiva and recovering from it, but I assume the Ishgardian authorities maybe aren't great at discerning real-deal tempering vs. intense but non-supernatural ideological devotion, on top of Shiva being a weird primal anyway. (Were the Ascians even involved there?)

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I don't think the dragon blood transformation is related to tempering at all. I know there are references to heretics being tempered by Shiva and recovering from it, but I assume the Ishgardian authorities maybe aren't great at discerning real-deal tempering vs. intense but non-supernatural ideological devotion, on top of Shiva being a weird primal anyway. (Were the Ascians even involved there?)

I think that Urianger at one point says he thinks Ysayle must have been groomed for the position, but that could've been Ascians or just heretic fanaticism.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

4Gamer.
 I'm sorry to have to preface this, but can you give us an overview of the main quest in patch 6.2?

Mr. Yoshida: Yes. Patch 6.1, "A New Adventure," presented the possibility of "other worlds. Patch 6.2 will be the part where we finally "step into the Void". We are going to go straight into the Void to meet your expectations. We will also be responding to the ...... question about characters that you may or may not know, so I hope you can expect that to be the first thing to be straightforward.

Sounds like Cylva and Unulkahai will at least be mentioned.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There was a Famitsu interview, too, largely summed up in this reddit post.

Some of the notable points, as far as story goes - we won't really get where 7.0 is going until 6.5, and Endwalker will end the patch story cycle with an event that "will completely change the story."
"Memory" is the overall theme of the patch, in both MSQ and Pandaemonium. The "weakest of the FF4 fiends" will appear first (sounds sort of likely it'll be the dungeon boss by that wording).
YoshiP confirms that the trial will be part of the MSQ, but did not reveal the identity, or whether it's part of a trial series or not - it is slated to be harder than usual, though, even on normal.
Pandaemonium will explore the Ancients' way of thinking more and go into "just what are they trying to keep sealed in there".

Mechanics-wise, some more Criterion words (there will be Variant Actions to sub in for roles, like healing and increasing defense, and each different route on the normal difficulty will have two bosses), a note that the planned Dragoon changes are more akin to Ninja than Summoner - trying to preserve the play feel while making it smoother. Talk is centered around merging actions. Astrologian changes are mostly about the cards, but it's hard because there are proponents for and against their randomness.
The relic weapon progression will be more like the ARR/HW weapons since the team's already busy enough that they couldn't really fit a Eureka/Bozja in this time.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hogama posted:

Pandaemonium will explore the Ancients' way of thinking more and go into "just what are they trying to keep sealed in there".

We thought the true villain of Pandemonium was gonna be Lahabrea or Athena or some monster, but it's gonna be Ancient Discourse™.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is explicitly what is said when we figure out the cure for tempering.

My interpretation of this phenomenon is that they're able to unfuck the target aether to some extent, but the body is just inherently unbalanced on some level, so the whole process gets reversed quickly.

Speculation though. Would be curious to see what'd happen if they tried it on-screen.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Hogama posted:

The "weakest of the FF4 fiends" will appear first (sounds sort of likely it'll be the dungeon boss by that wording).

Scarmiglione getting dunked on even in this game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

super-redguy posted:

Scarmiglione getting dunked on even in this game.

An undead phase where Healers have to keep casting Raise and Cure spells on him

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Scarmiglione dungeon, Cagnazzo 6.2 trial, Barbariccia 6.3 trial, Rubicante 6.4 trial, Golbez 6.5 trial as the trial series stuff would be fun.

the_steve posted:

I'm going with the speedrun strat of throwing carrots and trash cans

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

the_steve posted:

I'd be on board with throwing us this kind of heal check.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

the_steve posted:

There was something like that in Shinryu EX, so it's not off the table.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'd be on board with throwing us this kind of heal check.

Same, but that would be a very 2.X type of fight. Now if it could be something involving in/out attacks and sequential line AoEs they might be getting somewhere...

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

WoW does those somewhat frequently, I think there's at least one fight an expansion where the win condition is fully healing a boss target whilst adds run around trying to stop you. Notably, it's in the first raid of Shadowlands and pretty fun from memory in that one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel like the big hurdle with a heal boss in FFXIV is Benediction. You kinda have to have special treatment for that specific spell in a fight like that, because otherwise it just won't fly.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 9, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cleretic posted:

I feel like the big hurdle with a heal boss in FFXIV is Benediction. You kinda have to have special treatment for that specific spell in a fight like that, because otherwise it just won't fly.

I mean, that's as simple as "cannot be targetted with benediction".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Seems like punishing a specific healer's toolkit just means it's a bad mechanic.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Maybe just cap the damage a single heal can do period?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Seems like punishing a specific healer's toolkit just means it's a bad mechanic.

Benediction is not a toolkit it is a single tool (and functionally heals for 100% of the targets health, a fight where the goal is to heal the boss would not work with Benediction).

Twibbit posted:

Maybe just cap the damage a single heal can do period?

This is also a very reasonable answer. Honestly Healing is very different in FFXIV to WoW in turns of what is available so the heal the boss style fight would not work except maybe in very optional content. Not least because healing NPCs in this game is misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

back before you could reliably skip them delubrum savage prog groups would aim to load up on at least a few whms so they could blow past the undead enemies in the phantom add phase