Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

feedmyleg posted:

The only biopics I'm interested in are ones that feel more like a historical period flick than a hagiography, or one that uses its subject as a vessel for a larger musing. Something like The Aviator doesn't really feel like a biopic to me because it intersects with so many other things that I'm interested in, it really soaks in its era, and it also felt like it was more about genius than it was about Hughes.

I feel this way about Ali.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Hello, my name is [Enter Celebrity]. I overcame [Troubled Background/Childhood] to become one of the best in the world at [Thing]. But it wasn't all roses [Enter Difficulties]. But with the help of [Method] I overcame AGAIN and [Made Peace with Troubled Background/Childhood]

You could build a detailed flowchart for predicting scenes at this point, based on how identical they all are

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Moreau posted:

Hello, my name is [Enter Celebrity]. I overcame [Troubled Background/Childhood] to become one of the best in the world at [Thing]. But it wasn't all roses [Enter Difficulties]. But with the help of [Method] I overcame AGAIN and [Made Peace with Troubled Background/Childhood]

So what you're saying is I could be famous if I follow these easy steps???

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MM/NJM was a pretty intriguing person. Mentally/emotionally she was a loving wreck by the time she filmed The Misfits, but still magnetic in every scene. Her face is astoundingly expressive, a constant stream of little emotions that are hard to interpret. I love that film so much but its energy is almost unbearably sad. I'd hazard it was method acting if it didn't feel even more authentic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rd-_SAF9lk

Ana De Armas is perfect casting, and Andrew Dominik owns. I would've loved to see his film version of The Demolished Man.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 8, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Her face is astoundingly expressive, a constant stream of little emotions that are hard to interpret.

Funny, I made a note on my blog back in December 2021 before I knew there was a Marylin bio coming out with Ana De Armas in the lead role:

quote:

NMPositive posted

I’ve noticed this in a few pic sets of Ms. De Armas that have passed by on my feed, but especially in this gif set - she reminds me a lot of early Hollywood Marilyn (before the world wore her down), the sparkle and the expressive energy is a definite similar vibe.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

I'm a hard pass on biopics in general I've completely burned out on them. No to Elvis. No to Marilyn. No to whoever eventually makes a Gene Wilder one. No.

I mostly agree with you, but I'm curious about the Weird Al one after that first trailer made it look more Walk Hard than Bohemian Rhapsody.

But yeah, every other biopic (especially music biopics) just seems so lazy and overdone at this point. Especially especially after seeing Walk Hard. I can't go back to a time before I saw that movie, and Hollywood needs to stop pretending we can.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 8, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Walk Hard is one of those where the second you start watching it at any point in the movie it just has to stay on. I still have regular TV and I was flipping through channels and landed on the Beatles scene and there it stayed until the movie was over.

Another time I was in the gym in vegas stretching and someone switched the channel to this scene and I spent the rest of the movie in the gym giggling like an idiot the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADpsIb7vfs

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

Walk Hard is one of those where the second you start watching it at any point in the movie it just has to stay on. I still have regular TV and I was flipping through channels and landed on the Beatles scene and there it stayed until the movie was over.

Another time I was in the gym in vegas stretching and someone switched the channel to this scene and I spent the rest of the movie in the gym giggling like an idiot the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADpsIb7vfs

I believe the generally accepted term for that is getting "Shawshanked". As in, "Oh drat, I totally got Shawshanked by The Hunt for Red October the other day."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 9, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Funny, I made a note on my blog back in December 2021 before I knew there was a Marylin bio coming out with Ana De Armas in the lead role:

I felt that, too, but my bias is clear because I think ADA is the most beautiful woman alive and my judgement is totally clouded

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
A Morrison biopic but from the view of Laurel Canyon and Operation CHAOS. Throw in a whole subplot of his dad helping start the Vietnam war.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A Jim Morrison biopic from the point of view of his barstool in Barneys Beanery

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blonde isn't really a biopic. It's an adaptation of a Joyce Carol Oates book.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I recently revisited The Doors movie after having not seen it for 20 years and loving it as a teenager. :lol: what an absolute piece of poo poo—both the movie and Morrison himself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah i feel like id be down for a morrison biopic only if it mercilessly made fun of him

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvfFIZQIuQ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

noice

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Square was like 4/5ths one of the best films I've ever seen, and Force Majeure is extremely good, so I'm amped for this.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Hm I didn’t care for The Square (other than that one charity dinner scene) and this looks closer to it than to Force Majeur, a masterpiece. I am skeptical but I’ll see it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Force Majeure is an all timer and i agree that Ostlund's other stuff verges on overwrought but I still usually have a good time

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Rule of thumb: if a scathing take down of the 1% gets a standing ovation at Cannes, it’s not actually all that scathing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Below Deck movie lookin’ pretty sweet!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I believe the generally accepted term for that is getting "Shawshanked". As in, "Oh drat, I totally got Shawshanked by The Hunt by Red October the other day."

Ghostbusters. Goodfellas.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

The Below Deck movie lookin’ pretty sweet!

It's Avenue 5 without space

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di310WS8zLk

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay but what if instead of the Harry Potter nonsense we get the season where she has to deal with going to Nancy Regan High School

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Looks like they slapped The Addams Family on the standard TV YA formula.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you hid who directed the show or produced it, Tim
Burton would’ve been the last person I’d guess and any involvement in.

Not sure if that’s good or bad

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Luis Guzman as Gomez is an interesting choice, and I really like Jenna Ortega. But... meh.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Might give it a go. Visually, it looks fantastic. But the Wednesday deadpan schtick might get old if she's front-and-center all the time. I expect they realize that, though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Do the Addams kill regular people? The bad guys in the 90s movies died but violence against others was played off like a joke. We even see the rich girl in Values again after Wednesday apparently sets her on fire.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah that really stuck out at me as something that Wednesday would get into serious indefensible legal trouble about which felt distinctly different than what we've seen in past Addams Family logic.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That trailer looks like it misses the entire point of the Addams Family, but it may just be a bad trailer. Taking Wednesday away from the normie school to put her in weirdo school looks like the exact opposite of what the story should be. Not sure how I feel about a kid getting castrated being played for laughs either.

I mean, it's nowhere near as bad as the Munsters trailer, but this looks nowhere near as good as I hoped. Tim Burton's been more miss than hit for a while, but this should be a slam dunk for him but I'm not seeing it. Not yet, anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah that really stuck out at me as something that Wednesday would get into serious indefensible legal trouble about which felt distinctly different than what we've seen in past Addams Family logic.

the Addams Family really only works when it stays in their house, because it is canon fact that they are all multiple serial killers. the whole joke is that they're not actually evil in any sense but that their wacky family logic includes doing murders and such like it's NBD

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

the Addams Family really only works when it stays in their house, because it is canon fact that they are all multiple serial killers. the whole joke is that they're not actually evil in any sense but that their wacky family logic includes doing murders and such like it's NBD

It's kind of the other way around. The Addams Family are at their best when they're played in contrast with the normies.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Timby posted:

It's kind of the other way around. The Addams Family are at their best when they're played in contrast with the normies.

Yeah, I mean I’ve never been much for them besides seeing the movies 2 decades + ago, but I thought literally the whole point was contrasting them against “normal” society to highlight how dysfunctional it is?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Agreed, one of the best moments of the first two movies was "Wednesday at Summer Camp". I think the whole point of the Addams Family is to put them in real world situations and see how weird the interactions are.

My personal head-canon is that the Addams Family discovered the secret to immortality at some point in the past, some how, and, as a result, became obsessed with death. But that's just a minor bit of background I use to color the movies for fun, it doesn't really make a difference.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

This is dumb. Shakespearean English seems formal for us because it's 400 years old and we only hear it when we watch plays that were so good that they stayed popular for that time.

Back then it was slang ridden gutter talk with a ton of made up words.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvamfpszgCI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

well right but it's always on their own terms, in the original series. most of it takes place in the house, so it's kind of okay that it's "their wacky rules". that's what i meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Didn’t they dump hot tar on to s bunch of people in the opening of the movie? They def kill people lol or maim them badly