Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i don’t understand how cops, which effectively already have a monopoly on policing, need a union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

yummycheese posted:

i don’t understand how cops, which effectively already have a monopoly on policing, need a union.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

cop unions are absolutely unions

No, they are not. Unions are about worker's rights, Cop unions are about ensuring non-workers have more rights than everyone else.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yummycheese posted:

forming a labor monopoly is the entire point of a union, but all public sector unions work a little differently as there are no competitors for government employment.

CommieGIR posted:

No, they are not. Unions are about worker's rights, Cop unions are about ensuring non-workers have more rights than everyone else.

cop unions are absolutely about workers rights. the workers in this case are the cops and they are guaranteeing their rights to keep their jobs despite complaints from management. they're an incredibly effective union.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
How does one form an union with management? :confused:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
management is the public employers. they arent part of the cop unions

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
If I form a union at my company, will my manager join? After all our employer is the company itself.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

don't confuse unions for fraternal orders of police which usually exist alongside the unions and management can join and are even worse

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If I form a union at my company, will my manager join? After all our employer is the company itself.

in computer toucher world there are much blurrier edges between individual contributors and managers, you have a lot of senior ics with one or two direct reports, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

cop unions are absolutely about workers rights. the workers in this case are the cops and they are guaranteeing their rights to keep their jobs despite complaints from management. they're an incredibly effective union.

But its not used for worker's rights, its used to escape transparency, consequence, and accountability.

Its not a union.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

qirex posted:

in computer toucher world there are much blurrier edges between individual contributors and managers, you have a lot of senior ics with one or two direct reports, etc.

Are they a worker or part of management? I'd say worker, unless their role is directly management. Isn't that similar to a shift lead at a restaurant?

Also you're right I confused the FOP and the "union", opps.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

But its not used for worker's rights, its used to escape transparency, consequence, and accountability.

when it comes to police, you and I are management. We view the police as lacking transparency, consequence, and accountability. They believe we are trying to take away their rights to do the work the way they want to do it which in their minds includes things like their own personal safety. You or I might want 100 cops to die protecting children from a hail of bullets, they want to not have to do anything that puts them in danger. its a massive disconnect between management (us) and the workers (police). they are using their collective power to advocate against what we want. it is a union

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

when it comes to police, you and I are management.

stopped reading there

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1557031780477181953

some highlights:

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1557031803491233795

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1557031814434213895

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1557031819148546048

i don’t work in IT but this seems particularly nightmarish

Apr 7, 2003

everyone still uses CICS

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

stopped reading there

your midwest education is worse than i thought, smdh.

Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

your midwest education is worse than i thought, smdh.

The police answer to capital, any suggestion that you or I or any member of the public has any say or place in what they do is laughable.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
The cops were doing a revolutionary act when they killed a member of management (george floyd).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The cops were doing a revolutionary act when they killed a member of management (george floyd).

in their eyes 100%

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

CommieGIR posted:

Its not a union.

cops are "workers" just like anyone else. they have an extremely powerful union of workers with the benefits of political protection, little public accountability, and also they have guns.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

fart simpson posted:

about 10 years ago, a group of 3000 workers at a chinese factory "confronted" their new boss and killed him in a conference room to protest the privatization of their factory. and they got off totally free and won, the privatization was canceled. the system works

American workers are capable of killing their bosses.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

in 10 years it will be the same and their excuse will be that they dont know what happened to the $80 billion and that none of the approved vendors could provide a solution

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

it's 2nd grade, basically daycare where kids learn to add double digit numbers, and teachers have been like this since time immemorial, you just never knew about it. teachers are people and have lives outside of school, but it's still generally a good idea to keep your social media private because of people like this

fake edit: lol she deleted her account

teachers are like nurses - they fuckin love mdma

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

it seems to me that any improvement to the IT infrastructure, no matter how seemingly minor, would be a drastic improvement over COBOL and manual entry. if you upgrade something that still needs to talk to old hardware, that’s what VMs are for, right? as long as there’s funding, there should be plenty of easy wins to make for IT.

unless, I guess, all their approved vendors went out of business decades ago

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

CommieGIR posted:

Its not a union.

no, you see i don't like cops, therefore it isn't a union.

Apr 7, 2003

That's a CICS interface and CICS is still supported and used all over the place, it all runs on VMs on IBM machines with big service contracts.

It's just easy to show a text screen to your audience and say "look, how primitive" if it's a text cell interface

Any lack of updating for stuff like 4+ dependents is the fault of the IRS, not inherent limitations in what they're using.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

castro really hosed us over by letting a bunch of rich shitheads escape cuba

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

in 10 years it will be the same and their excuse will be that they dont know what happened to the $80 billion and that none of the approved vendors could provide a solution

shagger was right

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

castro really hosed us over by letting a bunch of rich shitheads escape cuba

i agree, but i also agree with a lot of what she said

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maybe the government should just employ programmers full time on staff instead

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

cop unions are absolutely unions

Improbable Lobster posted:

cop unions aren't unions; if unions were made illegal tomorrow the cops would be blowing out workers brains the same day

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

maybe the government should just employ programmers full time on staff instead

remember the first attempt at healthcare.gov? i could have used a chunk of that $2B contract money

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Roosevelt posted:

remember the first attempt at healthcare.gov? i could have used a chunk of that $2B contract money

It's alright they'll give it to a small business contractor this time.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Computer was a mistake. The IRS simply learned that lesson decades before the rest of us and is leading the way.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Improbable Lobster posted:

cop unions aren't unions; if unions were made illegal tomorrow the cops would be blowing out workers brains the same day

i legit have no idea what you think you mean here

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Roosevelt posted:

cops are "workers" just like anyone else. they have an extremely powerful union of workers with the benefits of political protection, little public accountability, and also they have guns.

cops are absolutely not workers, gently caress off

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stringent posted:

i legit have no idea what you think you mean here

Cops would still have unions even if they made unions illegal, because cop unions serve capital and aren't real unions

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
'special bodies of armed men' is the engels term for police/pinkertons/death squads/etc that are created to convert the power of the ruling class into force, they are distinct from workers from the marxist (and leninist and maoist and even trotskyist or anarchist and so on) perspective

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

atelier morgan posted:

'special bodies of armed men' is the engels term for police/pinkertons/death squads/etc that are created to convert the power of the ruling class into force, they are distinct from workers from the marxist (and leninist and maoist and even trotskyist or anarchist and so on) perspective

yeah, well, welcome to the US of A pal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Roosevelt posted:

yeah, well, welcome to the US of A pal

true, 'murica has the unique twist where they existed originally to enforce dominion over slaves and that just sort of expanded to abusing everybody else (but especially still terrorizing the descendants of the slaves)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1557025583162351617

phew