Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I'm having a strange issue that I can't figure out:

I have an Active Directory network spanning two sites, with three subnets per site. I have just spun up computerA1in site A and it cannot browse to \\computerB1\c$ in site B. ComputerA1 can browse to C$ on other computers in site B and computerB1 can browse to C$ on other computers in site A. In fact of the ten existing computers in site B, computer A1 can successfully browse to 8 of the ten. And all computers can browse to \\computerA1\c$.

In addition if I try to browse by IP address computerA1 can browse to the problematic computers succesfully. ComputerA1 can ping \\computerB1 by hostname and IP address successfully.

All computers are domain joined and are managed by GPO so should theoretically be configured identically. Windows firewall is off on all computers currently.

The error message is 0x80004005 "Windows cannot access \\computerA1\c$"

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Can any of the other site B machines browse B1?

Are you sure B1 is configured to make windows sharing available?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Potato Salad posted:

Can any of the other site B machines browse B1?

Are you sure B1 is configured to make windows sharing available?

Every machine can ping browse to \c$ on every other machine just fine. It's only the new spun up A1 that cannot browse to \\B1\c$ and \\B2\c$ but can browse to c$ on every other machine. And A1 can browse to C$ on both of the problematic machines if I use IP instead of hostname.

And yes, windows sharing is enabled on B1 and B2 because those machine are browseable by other machines in both sites.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Agrikk posted:

In addition if I try to browse by IP address computerA1 can browse to the problematic computers successfully. ComputerA1 can ping \\computerB1 by hostname and IP address successfully.

This is the weird part.

You mentioned that there's three subnets per site. Are the other B computers on different subnets than B1?

E: B1 & B2

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

klosterdev posted:

This is the weird part.

You mentioned that there's three subnets per site. Are the other B computers on different subnets than B1?

E: B1 & B2

There’s between five and 10 computers on each site, evenly distributed across three subnets each. There are no firewalls between any of the sites or subnets.

It is weird. It looks like a shearing issue, but other computers work where this one does not. And sharing works via IP address.

It also looks like a hostname issue but DNS resolves for every computer to every other computer including the broken one.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Agrikk posted:

There’s between five and 10 computers on each site, evenly distributed across three subnets each. There are no firewalls between any of the sites or subnets.

It is weird. It looks like a shearing issue, but other computers work where this one does not. And sharing works via IP address.

It also looks like a hostname issue but DNS resolves for every computer to every other computer including the broken one.

can you browse by FQDN? i.e. \\computerB1.domain.tld\c$\
Could be some weird issue with the dns suffix not getting added to the hostname when trying to browse.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It definitely sounds like some kind of weird DNS issue, but it could be kerberos/DNS interaction or something stuck in the cache on the workstation or the specific DNS responses it's getting.

In PowerShell, you can run "Resolve-DNSName computerB1 -type all" and should get some things back. You can specify a server with the -Server tag, to see if there's different responses from difference servers. Do you get anything interesting from "Test-NetworkConnection computerB1 -CommonTCPPort SMB"?

ETA: Comedy Option: You've got a WINS server somewhere doing something dumb (beyond just existing).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

The power shell you suggested didn’t reveal any differences, nor did any event logs, or anything else google suggested.

So I terminated the instance and I’m trying again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Makes me think of an SMB version issue possibly

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I have a workstation that absolutely will not apply group policy. C:\Windows\GroupPolicy or whatever is empty and gpupdate fails saying it can’t read the policy from the domain controller despite my being able to browse to the policy in the policy store on all DCs.

If I disable the policy it complains about in gpupate another one fails, if I disable that one yet another fails, and so on

I’ve decided the computer is haunted and I’m going to wipe it since I’ve wasted more than enough time on it and it’s not that important but I figured I’d pop it in here to see if anyone has an idea about how to get this to work? The only thing I can think of is to remove it from the domain and add it again but given the empty directory I don’t think that’ll do it

Any ideas?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sounds like it would be really fun to troubleshoot, but lmao you have other work to get back to

steamroll the fucker

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Yeah that’s where I’m at. I tried for an hour or so and I’ve hit my “it’s faster to rebuild it” threshold

It’s legacy anyways so once I get the owners to evacuate any worthwhile data it’s going into the bin

E: I might keep it around as a side project to plink around with when I have free time blocks since this kind of thing is exactly what I need to hone and refine troubleshooting skills but there’s no way it’s ever going back into production

Number19 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 8, 2022

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Agrikk posted:

So I terminated the instance and I’m trying again.

The new instance is having the same issue, so now I'm deep in the muck.

looking in the evet log reveals this gem:

quote:

The Kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server MyCertificateServer$. The target name used was RPCSS/MyCertificateServer.int.mydomain.net. This indicates that the target server failed to decrypt the ticket provided by the client. This can occur when the target server principal name (SPN) is registered on an account other than the account the target service is using. Ensure that the target SPN is only registered on the account used by the server. This error can also happen if the target service account password is different than what is configured on the Kerberos Key Distribution Center for that target service. Ensure that the service on the server and the KDC are both configured to use the same password. If the server name is not fully qualified, and the target domain (INT.MYDOMAIN.NET) is different from the client domain (INT.MyDOMAIN.NET), check if there are identically named server accounts in these two domains, or use the fully-qualified name to identify the server.

and

quote:

The Kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server computerB1 $. The target name used was cifs/computerB1 . This indicates that the target server failed to decrypt the ticket provided by the client. This can occur when the target server principal name (SPN) is registered on an account other than the account the target service is using. Ensure that the target SPN is only registered on the account used by the server. This error can also happen if the target service account password is different than what is configured on the Kerberos Key Distribution Center for that target service. Ensure that the service on the server and the KDC are both configured to use the same password. If the server name is not fully qualified, and the target domain (INT.MYDOMAIN.NET) is different from the client domain (INT.MYDOMAIN.NET), check if there are identically named server accounts in these two domains, or use the fully-qualified name to identify the server.

So it looks like Wizard of the Deep was heading in the right direction with their kerberos suggestion. This error message is repeated on two other computers that I've found so far.

I've started digging into replication issues between my DCs but of course the Active Directory Replication Status tool has expired effective July 1, 2022. What loving poo poo is that? Why would MS have a tool that expires on an arbitrary date for no apparent reason?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 8, 2022

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

So the schad is on me. It was a replication issue with one of my domain controllers. I had been messing around with AWS DNS endpoints and I forgot to turn the setting back, causing it to desync with the rest of the DCs. Revering the settings on the DC started replication up again, which solved the issue with computerB1. Success!

So now I can go about doing the thing I wanted to do fifteen hours ago. :bravo:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

It’s not DNS
There’s no way it’s DNS
It was DNS

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Anyone ever see an issue where you can ping a DC by both IP and hostname, DNS setting on the system is pointed to the DC, but you can't ping domainname.local or add it to the domain? Server 2003 if relevant. (lmao I know, it was even on Win2k functional level until I raised it 10 minutes ago)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do you have any conditional forwarders?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This looks cool

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/cross-tenant-mailbox-migration?view=o365-worldwide

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Well poo poo that only took them over a decade to figure out. Very nice.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This is a killer loving feature to get the hell out of a godaddy hosted exchange.

Also, they're sloooowwwly closing the exchange requirement by non-office365 group writeback in preview

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/groups-write-back-portal

These guys have a deep dive on it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wish they would clarify when they are talking about Azure AD Connect and Azure AD Connect Cloud Sync because there are subtle differences between the two

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

incoherent posted:

This is a killer loving feature to get the hell out of a godaddy hosted exchange.

Also, they're sloooowwwly closing the exchange requirement by non-office365 group writeback in preview

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/groups-write-back-portal

These guys have a deep dive on it

sooooooooooooooo it's not the writeback silver bullet I'm looking for buuuuuuut

well

actually, uh, what WOULD you use this for?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do we have an Azure / M365 all the wincloud things thread?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, but azure people read and post in this thread, the other IT threads, and the cloud giant thread.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

well

I can see a number of use cases for a hybrid environment where all of your messaging stuff is done in M365, but you want to be able to manage group memberships with on-prem ad tooling.

I would have loved this at my last job, current job is azuread first so it's less useful.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Potato Salad posted:

well

Multi forest stuff seems like a big deal, haven’t been doing identity stuff directly for two years but I remember that being a sticking/pain point in the past. Plus having an easy way to HA the sync seems nice having to have a secondary in staging mode or whatever always seemed sus af

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

No, but azure people read and post in this thread, the other IT threads, and the cloud giant thread.

*goes looking for the cloud giant thread* thank you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=47

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

Dang didn't know that existed. Goes to show how computer janitor mindset I am lol.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
What's the best way to decrease the time taken DNS queries for an AD integrated zone to show up and become resolvable at another site?

We have a separate AD site that runs DNS and DHCP services for a bunch of Linux VMs that make up our dev/staging environment.

We'd like to have our devs start self-provisioning VMs as needed, however the biggest hurdle we have right now is newly provisioned VMs take 10-15 minutes to become resolvable as this staging site is technically a separate site in our AD topology.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Change intersite replication to be immediate.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

devmd01 posted:

Change intersite replication to be immediate.

This would work, or just point the dev/test machines at the DNS server where the records are being created.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make a new DNS zone for your dev environment that is integrated with your build platform and delegate that zone in your corporate DNS.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Get rid of AD DNS and move to a real platform.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I'm not sure if there is an Azure thread or if this is functionally the spot for it, but I am trying to configure alerts if an account is logged-into. I am trying to do so without Workspace Analytics, with standard O365 E3 and Azure AD P2 licensing.

Essentially I have a use-case where an org does not have Azure Monitor/Workspace Analytics, but we must alert IT and Security admins if the Emergency Global Admin account is touched.

Anybody have any experience with this?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If you’re not sending those logs to a SIEM or something I think you’re SOL

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Otis Reddit posted:

I'm not sure if there is an Azure thread or if this is functionally the spot for it, but I am trying to configure alerts if an account is logged-into. I am trying to do so without Workspace Analytics, with standard O365 E3 and Azure AD P2 licensing.

Essentially I have a use-case where an org does not have Azure Monitor/Workspace Analytics, but we must alert IT and Security admins if the Emergency Global Admin account is touched.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Spin up an azure function running powershell to look for sign ins maybe?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

That would legit probably cost more than just putting those logs in a workspace

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know if there's a better way, but if you are trying to work around not using Workspace Analytics, you shouldn't. It costs a tiny amount for such a small use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Splunk (and I’m assuming other SIEMs) can pull that data down directly without a workspace. That is the only other non-headache inducing way of getting that data I’m aware of