Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

"You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here. Whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back."

This is also Tesla's response to squished children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Also your username triggered a memory: "You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here. Whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back."

Yup. That's what I took my username from. It was playing in iTunes when I signed up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Deteriorata posted:

Yup. That's what I took my username from. It was playing in iTunes when I signed up.

A person of taste.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I had a 73 Impala 2 door with the 454. I miss the poo poo out of that barge.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

71 Buick LeSabre with a 455, soft top baby

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
See the good thing about late 70s/early 80s cars that they too were barges but also had lovely little engines with rudimentary pollution controls that robbed them of any power they might have had.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Whaddya mean? The turbo 301 Trans Am was an amazing turd

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The 454 was basically born out of the need to overcome restrictions via increased cubes.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

1.3L Austin Metro ooh yeah

Which for some reason had ventilated front discs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

how are these things allowed on the road when the people using them just assume the car is smart enough to avoid accidents?

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1556991029814886404?s=20&t=EuJNTIWuoTrYH76-HWHFgA

Interior shot of both cars, real world application of Waymo's tech at the start.

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1549819102625034240?s=20&t=EuJNTIWuoTrYH76-HWHFgA

https://twitter.com/hexprax/status/1557218051266715650?s=21&t=qlHfvSJOsPxmzJ-KaQmDBQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They cannot stop making excuses.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

To follow up...

https://twitter.com/MoodyHikmet/status/1557174429624373248?s=20&t=PEJI0oV-e7XHr98GckpG9Q

they're all insane.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Look the car is obviously smarter than you and realized it’s not a child but instead a small vampire. The most ethical choice is to run it down

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm looking forward to one of these idiots running over his own child to own the internet.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

They cannot stop making excuses.

My first thought was that it was a joke but then I saw 'crypto' in their handle and became quite sure it wasn't.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm looking forward to one of these idiots running over his own child to own the internet.

It's not the poor kid's fault their dad is a moron :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ, how about not even running over something the size of a small piece of furniture regardless if it's breathing or not?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

if only there was another way to make a thing warm...

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Isn't it completely video based anyway?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Granted most of my experience with IR is with decades old military stuff, though probably much more sensitive (and expensive) than anything you could profitably put in a consumer car, but here's my experience: unless there's contrasting temperature between what you want to detect and the surroundings it doesn't work great anymore. Finding mammals in a cool environment is super easy with IR vision, they glow like flames in the dark. Finding them on a warm summer's day is much trickier. Let's hope streets never reach child outer temperature lest kids manage to hide from and thus get run over by machines relying on IR to avoid them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

No need to wait

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Convince their wife............ to not divorce them for offering to put their child in danger?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus They're literally a cult

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Has to be trolling.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

Has to be trolling.

That account is 100% serious. Deep, deeeeeeep in the cult of Musk. These people are a danger.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That account is 100% serious. Deep, deeeeeeep in the cult of Musk. These people are a danger.

Yes honey, I need to put our child in mortal danger because there are internet people that must be proven wrong!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

coupedeville posted:

Yes honey, I need to put our child in mortal danger because there are internet people that must be proven wrong!

Well it's not dangerous you see because.....

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Mokka is a hateful, garbage car so having a timing chain issue and having to drop the loving subframe to pull the gearbox to be able to get at the thing is just proof that misery was the main aim with this thing.

https://twitter.com/asa_thorp/status/1557688672190976000?s=20&t=lJHpdUehwue8pYwe9aUmFw

Same car:
https://twitter.com/asa_thorp/status/1557760864463233024?s=20&t=lJHpdUehwue8pYwe9aUmFw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The Mokka is a hateful, garbage car so having a timing chain issue and having to drop the loving subframe to pull the gearbox to be able to get at the thing is just proof that misery was the main aim with this thing.

https://twitter.com/asa_thorp/status/1557688672190976000?s=20&t=lJHpdUehwue8pYwe9aUmFw

Same car:
https://twitter.com/asa_thorp/status/1557760864463233024?s=20&t=lJHpdUehwue8pYwe9aUmFw

Not to defend Vauxhall, but having the timing chains on the back of the motor is really common on modern engines, this isn't some exclusive Vauxhall issue.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CommieGIR posted:

Not to defend Vauxhall, but having the timing chains on the back of the motor is really common on modern engines, this isn't some exclusive Vauxhall issue.

Was about to say this

But I've also been saying this for years

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also looking at the dudes pictures really curious why hes dropped the brakes along with the subframe instead of just disconnecting the lower ball joints??

Also looks exactly like some of the shithole uk garages I used to work in lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

But I've also been saying this for years

Honestly the EGR on most modern diesels is awful, but yeah most people misunderstand that diesels really don't do inner city driving well, you really have to get good highway milage in to make them worth it.

Sadly, I'd still rather have a diesel.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

You've posted this in the correct thread, boss. That sounds absolutely nightmarish. I mean it's fine if you don't have a problem but...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You've posted this in the correct thread, boss. That sounds absolutely nightmarish. I mean it's fine if you don't have a problem but...

Timing chains aren't meant to be replaced, generally. If you do need to replace a timing chain, most of the time you've got enough problems that you need to pull the engine anyway.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Deteriorata posted:

Timing chains aren't meant to be replaced, generally. If you do need to replace a timing chain, most of the time you've got enough problems that you need to pull the engine anyway.

Chains still wear and stretch. The thought that they are not supposed to be replaced is a myth that needs to stop.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

the 22R Toyota's heralded as the million billion mile engine thats unkillable needs chains every 150,000 miles and if not it eats the timing cover by the coolant pump mixing coolant and oil while also contaminating the lubricating system with metal shavings.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ, how about not even running over something the size of a small piece of furniture regardless if it's breathing or not?

Yeah that was my first thought. I honestly don't know if that guy was joking or not but I was like I don't care if its a warm child or a cold child sized object I don't really want to hit one with my car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
VW went back to belts on their newer 1.4 and 1.5 TSI. They can't come up with a consistent replacement schedule either, it's all over the place depending on brand and market.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/CuOWeW1.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CommieGIR posted:

Honestly the EGR on most modern diesels is awful, but yeah most people misunderstand that diesels really don't do inner city driving well, you really have to get good highway milage in to make them worth it.

Sadly, I'd still rather have a diesel.

I rented a Mokka once and drove it from Malaga to Gibraltar / Algeciras four times in two days by mistake. It doesn't do highway driving well either.