Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RME posted:

what youre saying is you like the arr/hw style of largely putting things as added incentive for older content that already exists in the game as a primary driver of them. These werent ever exclusive and would sometimes motivate you to be doing a current raid but by and large it essentially worked like a mogtome event does, in a more complex fashion
i think this is a much lamer path than the more recent closer integrations to a newer content, especially since that content often had enough to offer on its own if you were progressing the relic or just wanted to be there anyways

No, what I’m saying is I was a variety of activities and content available to do to complete the relic. I don’t want my choice to be constrained between fates and minute selection of old content.

There’s nothing lamer than fates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

most steps for the resistance weapons aren't limited to skirmishes. I'd say all of them aren't but you're shooting yourself in the foot if you do the one-time zadnor step through the raid option, imo.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There’s nothing lamer than fates.

Hinterlands fate trains are a thing of beauty imo

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Always nice to see, enjoy your 20M-30M gil or fancy new shirt in 6.2.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Bozja was great, it almost always felt like I was doing something in addition to just working on a relic, could often double up, and the critical engagements alone were more interesting than just about anything you did for other relics, nevermind the raids. Lost actions let you do absurd things and were much better implemented than in Eureka.

To me, it's not even having multiple avenues to progress your relic, but that I was working towards my hovercycle, cluster reward, or leveling an alt job, or even just getting tons of gil selling fragments, I was almost never farming solely for the relic itself.

But I am also the idiot who did DR 255 times pre-nerf for all of the relics, so I'm damaged that way. I certainly can't bear to get all of my Eureka relics that far, though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I love FF12 and was really excited when it was announced Matsuno would be writing stuff. But the stuff he ended up writing was boring as hell. I don't even dislike it exactly, it's just impossible for me to care about any of it. I don't fault the dude for giving his OC super special echo powers and trying to set her up with Cid, but I ain't interested. The whole thing was just a little too separate from the rest of the game and didn't mesh that well overall. I wouldn't mind if Lilja showed up again though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The man can write a messy and bloody political drama that gets raw as hell but Bozja didn't feel like the best format for it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Mikoto is cute and my friend.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I literally just started Bozja last night and was like "wait, why is that random Ivalice NPC here?" Now I know!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

if history must be unwritten...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mikoto is very cute (she’s twinsies with my main WoL, I would know) and she could be an excellent side character if Matsuno didn’t decide he was going to add a love interest for Cid because ??? and thus made that her entire plot in Bojza.

I mean yes I do prefer CidNero which is part of the reason I feel this way but also I think five times divorced engineers where one is only quasi-moral is more interesting than “and get this………. There’s a girl with a crush on a guy. But she never says anything. And here’s the twist - the guy is completely oblivious and doesn’t seem intrest- what do you mean that’s done in half of all shonen manga”.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Lilja is clearly the coolest Bozja side character :psyduck:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the cid thing is extremely funny so it's good. also the good character in Bozja was Lyon.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hopeandjoy posted:

“and get this………. There’s a girl with a crush on a guy. But she never says anything. And here’s the twist - the guy is completely oblivious and doesn’t seem intrest- what do you mean that’s done in half of all shonen manga”.

And repeatedly in this game! I'm always so goddamn relieved when a romance plot actually progresses in this game, because I started as GLD and am still angry for Mylla.

also I hold great hope in my heart that, one day, Curious Gorge will gently caress. It could happen!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Bozja is where I managed to perform the 200 revives needed for The Kindness of Strangers V achievement so it's good.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Took 8 months but P4S finally goes down. Couple hours a week, totally blind, and everyone grey parsed the whole way but we got it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
what was your act 2 strat

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think it's pretty similar to what pf ended up with.

https://ff14.toolboxgaming.space/?id=903863005010661&preview=1

Our facing and positioning isn't that weird at the start. Just did it for clarity.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
How much reactivity does Endwalker have to things like levelling jobs, doing side quests and finishing Bozja/Eureka (even if it's little references)? I'm wondering how much time I should put into doing those things before I begin.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fez_machine posted:

How much reactivity does Endwalker have to things like levelling jobs and doing side quests (even if it's little references)? I'm wondering how much time I should put into doing those things before I begin.

There's a bunch of dialogue early in the EW MSQ for having done certain job storylines.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Countblanc posted:

the cid thing is extremely funny so it's good. also the good character in Bozja was Lyon.

Honestly there's not a single character in Bozja that I'd say is bad. So no matter who someone pointed to and said 'they're the best character', I'd buy it, it's just that some of those characters are expressed in side description more than actions.

My favorite is the Queen's Guard, because their bios do really well at describing that whole 'these were people, and now they are not' angle. Which is a clever way of building on the fact that in the fight itself, nobody seems to recognize their situation.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

fez_machine posted:

How much reactivity does Endwalker have to things like levelling jobs, doing side quests and finishing Bozja/Eureka (even if it's little references)? I'm wondering how much time I should put into doing those things before I begin.

All the trials, raids(except Nier) and Eureka/Bozja content will have cameos of characters if you did them. Job characters are a bit spottier in if you get a line of dialogue or not, since not everyone decides to join the Endwalker campaign, which you can find out if you run all the way back to them to check in on them. I assume there will just be camera pans to oddly empty spots for certain characters if you didn't do their particular raid or trial series.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite bit in Bozja is the fate storyline about the new red mage fighting his former mentor

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite bit in Bozja is the fate storyline about the new red mage fighting his former mentor

Her, but yes, Meryall and Lovro's story is REALLY good.

One I got a soft spot for in my video research was Yamatsumi, the onmyoji that's with the IVth Legion because he thinks they're the only place his tradition can thrive after Yotsuyu quashed them. And he's so desperate that he's blind to the fact he's being used by people that will happily sacrifice him for a minor, fleeting advantage.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the power rangers in southern front are really funny because if you're not paying attention to what's happening in skirmishes (or just queue in for critical engagements and spend the rest of your time idling at the entrance), you get introduced to a bunch of dudes who ghost you until the end where they come back and get owned.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Vitamean posted:

the power rangers in southern front are really funny because if you're not paying attention to what's happening in skirmishes (or just queue in for critical engagements and spend the rest of your time idling at the entrance), you get introduced to a bunch of dudes who ghost you until the end where they come back and get owned.

I love my guy Stanik the Unwavering, a dude you can trust to grab aggro on all the mobs chasing you when all you wanna do is pick up the magitek parts and hand them in.

He's a real hero, and his loss is keenly felt in Zadnor where you don't have him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Thinking about it, it's fitting that if you like a Bozja NPC it's not in the same way you like characters in any other part of the game, and more like how you inevitably get attached to that unit in a strategy game that just keeps coming in clutch with the crits, or the recurring miniboss unit that has like four lines but they're all straight fire.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

my like for lyon isn't complicated. i like lyon because he's a hot grandpa. it ain't deep

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
He's also the future beastmaster quest giver

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/freydraws/status/1557122550336978944

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

In endgame strat news, are there any good gear sets out there that sort of have a "salvaged" or "torn-up/damaged" look? Especially for a healer/tank/melee DPS role. The Nier sets are good but are a little too clean/precise for the vibe I'm going for.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

Her, but yes, Meryall and Lovro's story is REALLY good.

One I got a soft spot for in my video research was Yamatsumi, the onmyoji that's with the IVth Legion because he thinks they're the only place his tradition can thrive after Yotsuyu quashed them. And he's so desperate that he's blind to the fact he's being used by people that will happily sacrifice him for a minor, fleeting advantage.

Apparently I never looked closely enough at her model to note gender. :v:

The original RDM winding up his Limit Break only for her to interrupt it with her own is a really great moment.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

there are a lot of neat characters and plot lines woven thru the StQ content and it's a shame they'll probably never be developed further

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Relatedly, it was seen through the Steam DB history that Tactics Ogre Reborn appears to have started (PC) development in 2020, and Matsuno was tapped for the remaster/port (which is shaping up to have had a fair bit more work put into it than just bringing a 2010 PSP game to new systems), which is probably another reason he sat Endwalker out (not that this means he'll be back for 7.0).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bozja was worth it if only just for what has become my hairstyle.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bozja was worth it if only just for what has become my hairstyle.

Is that a hat or hairstyle?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is that a hat or hairstyle?
Hairstyle, but the headband is part of it. Kind of like the old FFXIII Snow hairstyle with the scarf, or the viera hair with their... tiara... thingy.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Consummate Professional posted:

He's also the future beastmaster quest giver

Adding beastmaster but putting the unlock quest behind finished Bozja would be 11/10 hilarious and they absolutely need to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nah, they’d just have Lyon wearing a fake mustache on top of his real one and awkwardly pretending you’ve never met if you did Bozja