Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

EVIL Gibson posted:

I saw a keyboard in an article recently where the plate also moved slightly due to it being supported by rubber and not screwed down (I think).

Pretty sure it began with a "Q" but don't take that as fact.

I just want to watch some videos and reviews of that type of keyboard instead of making assumptions
Probably the Keychron Q1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Put this together yesterday since I just got my DSA witch girl caps. It's great. Though the metal keycap on enter is sooooo heavy it honestly feels weird to hit it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Could do a spring swap on that one switch to counterbalance the heavy keycap

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

NotNut posted:

There's a tear around one of the nubs on my membrane keyboard and I'm wondering what I should use to fix it. I tried some super glue but it was too stiff and made the key press harder. Should I use some kind of rubberized seal? Or glue that advertises itself as flexible?

I went through a whole bunch of different ways to try and fix a problem like this and eventually just gave up.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Screwed up the colors on the 1 and 4 on the tenkey but otherwise I have a lot of fun typing on that thing, it's covered in fiducials that make it fast to orient in low-light and stuff.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Does anyone else have a Hakko FA-400 and think it fuckin sucks? It's not absorbing any smoke unless it's nearly in contact with whatever I'm working on. Or is it supposed to be this short-ranged?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

hailthefish posted:

I went through a whole bunch of different ways to try and fix a problem like this and eventually just gave up.

I'm trying cement rubber and it might work, but I might have gone too far in the opposite direction from super glue and it's not strong enough. I really think I just need an adhesive that's flexible but strong. It just seems like a waste to throw away a whole keyboard because of one half-centimeter tear in some plastic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's silicone, very little will stick to it unfortunately.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

death cob for cutie posted:

Does anyone else have a Hakko FA-400 and think it fuckin sucks? It's not absorbing any smoke unless it's nearly in contact with whatever I'm working on. Or is it supposed to be this short-ranged?

Alpha Phoenix did a little video about why the soldering smoke always goes right into your eyes. He goes through a few tests before figuring it out around 7:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRgzJaB3D4&t=30s

The video is worth a look but the TLDW is that having your hands positioned in front of you holding things seems to direct the air up and towards your face.

I imagine the extractor would have to pull air out of the region your arms are blocking to help. Maybe a fan positioned over your shoulder or behind your elbow could help direct the smoke a bit towards the extractor to improve things. I've been using some dewalt safety goggles if I'm doing a lot of soldering lately. They're not perfectly air tight but it helps deflect a lot of the smoke away and my glasses fit inside them. I haven't done a lot of big soldering projects lately or I'd probably figure out a better solution.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Redragon makes ok "My First Mechanical Keyboard", I'd say bordering on good (for what they are), but then they go and make this - https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Keyboard-Ergonomic-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B09V4HTWLT

mewse
May 2, 2006

Koskun posted:

Redragon makes ok "My First Mechanical Keyboard", I'd say bordering on good (for what they are), but then they go and make this - https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Keyboard-Ergonomic-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B09V4HTWLT

just when i think they couldn’t get any worse they do something like this. and COMPLETELY REDEEM THEMSELVES

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's amazing and I want one but not enough to pay that much for it. Okay, I'll put it on the wishlist.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

I'm really confused by what "conflict free" means in this case.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NKRO I think

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Used loctite vinyl, fabric and plastic flexible adhesive on the membrane and it worked perfectly. Saved me 40 bucks, or 33 if you deduct the price of the glue

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Actually no it didn't

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:yossame:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

NotNut posted:

Used loctite vinyl, fabric and plastic flexible adhesive on the membrane and it worked perfectly. Saved me 40 bucks, or 33 if you deduct the price of the glue

40 dollars for a membrane keyboard?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There are membrane keyboards that cost far more than that, and people buy them

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are membrane keyboards that cost far more than that, and people buy them

hosed up if true

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Razer has a whole line of expensive membrane keyboards built on the assumption that you won't have to deal with rebound from physical switches bouncing back into place

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m all over the place and now I’ve gone from wanting a mode sonnet to just wanting a high end 65 or an ikki 68. Grumble, more things need to be in stock.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

LionArcher posted:

I’m all over the place and now I’ve gone from wanting a mode sonnet to just wanting a high end 65 or an ikki 68. Grumble, more things need to be in stock.

I just want a high-quality aluminum, mostly silent, 65%-68% with a knob and maybe an OLED, and south facing LEDs, a heavy rear end plate, and a matching numpad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I saw an old man at the airport whip out a Logitech MK550 and start bangin away on it. Who is hardo enough to bring a keyboard to the airport but lame enough that the keyboard of choice is a MK550

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I posted like a year ago about the QMK based replacement controller for the Unicomp Mini M project, which would replace the original controller that it shipped with which was having some problems. The project has been on the level1techs forum because Wendell over there has been working on sourcing parts and potentially selling the controllers on the level1 storefront (they do youtube tech reviews and a tech news show, but also sell KVMs and merch). Anyway, in the last couple of weeks the positive thing that happened was Wendell got some controllers soldered together and offered up a couple of hand soldered ones for $70 (not through the storefront since I don't think he plans on making them himself if it's something the sell but if they work he may source a small order from a supplier), but then the negative thing that happened was that Unicomp has pulled the keyboard from their storefront because they can't source the controllers they use. Wendell tried to buy 20 or so keyboards sans controllers from them but they didn't want to sell them without controllers.

So, if you have one sitting around waiting for a controller it seems like the project is in a state where you might be able to make your own, but you won't be able to source new ones until Unicomp can buy their controllers. Here's the level1techs forum subject about the whole thing. It's not that interesting unless you want to do weird buckling spring stuff, but the goal of the project is to eventually have controller swaps available that can support QMK for more buckling spring keyboards at the end. The Mini M was just the initial target because it's different from other Model Ms due to having been designed by Unicomp, and its controller had some issues right out of the box.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I just want a high-quality aluminum, mostly silent, 65%-68% with a knob and maybe an OLED, and south facing LEDs, a heavy rear end plate, and a matching numpad.

I get that. Built a q2 and I like it. But I just want more premium. Maybe the mode sonnet really is the sweet spot. Won’t know till January if I ordered today lol.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm sitting here with a Wind X and the keyboard is so nice the only other I want to get right now is the Wind X 98 for the bluetooth and F keys. :shobon:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I just switched the Gateron Browns in my Q5 (only the letter keys) with Cherry Speed Silvers and it feels so good to type on.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i'm interested in the nuphy wireless kb (not sure if i want 60% or 75% though) since i'd been holding off on getting a keychron and this seems like a good alternative.

my only question is that will i always have to use low profile switches and caps for it, or could i swap it out with regular sized switches and caps like a weirdo?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Splash Attack posted:

i'm interested in the nuphy wireless kb (not sure if i want 60% or 75% though) since i'd been holding off on getting a keychron and this seems like a good alternative.

my only question is that will i always have to use low profile switches and caps for it, or could i swap it out with regular sized switches and caps like a weirdo?
I can't answer your question, but the appeal of my Nuphy F1 is that it sits on top of my MacBook keyboard. Regular switches would be way too high.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I did it. I got an ikki 68, (mint) new deskmat and box white switches (my favorite switches are boba u4t's, but I like the box white I have and want one keyboard with a louder clack) for just over $200. Honestly for a birthday present to myself, not bad! (I didn't order stabs because I"m an idiot and now have ordered the right ones from the creators directly for another $28 bucks, good thing they're still in stock).

Current keyboards. (not including the pre built's I'll never use, mainly the Race 3 Vortex and Durgod I'm giving to a friend). GMMK PRO, XDA keycaps, Boba u4t's.

Keychron q2 with Boba U4t's.

and soon to be Ikki with box white and XDA keycaps.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 10, 2022

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

teethgrinder posted:

I can't answer your question, but the appeal of my Nuphy F1 is that it sits on top of my MacBook keyboard. Regular switches would be way too high.

oh yeah, i get that and think it's quite neat - one reason why the nuphy appeals to me is that i plan on using it for my macbook at work, now that i'm back at the office. i don't really see myself setting it on top of the keyboard, since i want to have my laptop to the side as a second monitor while i work.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

my solution for this dilemma was to get the air75 and halo65. problem solved!

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Koskun posted:

Clearly we can do better than that:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/razer-novelkeys-big-keyboard-ces-bfk,36350.html

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I think I'm finally getting my first 40% keyboard, and my first groub-buy.

https://p3dstore.com/products/hubris-case-and-minisub-pcb

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I have a Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Speeds and it's good enough, but I think i'd like to get a 75% keyboard? (regular keys + fn, right?) to give myself more desk space. I'm using it for gaming but IDK if i care enough about speeds vs reds; only important things are that it's backlit (tho single color is just fine) and that it's dependable/sturdy. Any normal go-to suggestions? Not trying to geek out too hard, I just want a decent smaller keyboard. I like sticking my map key on tilde so idk if I want to go with a 60% or not.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

I have a Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Speeds and it's good enough, but I think i'd like to get a 75% keyboard? (regular keys + fn, right?) to give myself more desk space. I'm using it for gaming but IDK if i care enough about speeds vs reds; only important things are that it's backlit (tho single color is just fine) and that it's dependable/sturdy. Any normal go-to suggestions? Not trying to geek out too hard, I just want a decent smaller keyboard. I like sticking my map key on tilde so idk if I want to go with a 60% or not.

Keychron q1 and GMMk pro are the next level up, both 75’s.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gay Retard posted:

I think I'm finally getting my first 40% keyboard, and my first groub-buy.

https://p3dstore.com/products/hubris-case-and-minisub-pcb

ayy congrats! P3D owner is really good people as is the designer, Rain. Are you going to get it cerakoted?

Obligatory link to the 40% discord: https://discord.gg/40percent
and Rainkeebs discord: https://discord.gg/HTUM498QXR
You're always welcome to ask me questions as well.

Consider using layer tap on the split space layout.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
WASD finally released hotswap boards:
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/hotswap-v3-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/hotswap-v3-87-key-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html

I guess the market has kind of moved past them but I have fond memories of their stuff, so will be trying one of these in some capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

emdash posted:

WASD finally released hotswap boards:
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/hotswap-v3-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html
https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/hotswap-v3-87-key-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html

I guess the market has kind of moved past them but I have fond memories of their stuff, so will be trying one of these in some capacity

For that price you'd probably be better off getting the Monokei Standard.