Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The comedy option was that Clark was playing along to literally run a FBI honeypot on the standing president, and that's what Perry now needed a pardon from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
private pardons are back baby

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1557098994492444672

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How in the hell does that work?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Trump hands someone a notarized pardon signed by him during his presidency tenure and they stick it in a safe deposit box until it is needed like a get out of jail free card.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Hahaha what if Trump keeps the pardons in his safe as leverage over his minions? "You're free to come by MAL any time you want to check to make sure you're still in my good graces"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

negativeneil posted:

Hahaha what if Trump keeps the pardons in his safe as leverage over his minions? "You're free to come by MAL any time you want to check to make sure you're still in my good graces"

Lol pardon blackmail is absolutely on the table

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Trump hands someone a notarized pardon signed by him during his presidency tenure and they stick it in a safe deposit box until it is needed like a get out of jail free card.

That is not how it works.

cr0y posted:

It doesn't.

The only way a pardon can be used as a get out of jail free card in a criminal trial is you present it as evidence why your case should be dismissed. The court then determines that it was an actually valid issued pardon, as opposed to some poo poo Trump scrawled on a cocktail napkin last week.

There is an actual process to issuing a pardon. Trump skipped some of the preliminary investigative steps presidents had traditionally carried out, determining someone was who they said they were, and they actually deserved a pardon, and it wouldn't be a political liability, and so on; he didn't care about any of that. But an important step is still the actual promulgation, publicly announcing the pardon.

If the court checks with the National Archives and they have no evidence any such pardon exists, then it doesn't. There is not a court in this country, even Trump appointees, that would accept that a supposed Trump pardon really was issued 20+ months ago purely on his say-so, without any actual records proving its provenance.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

In true reality show host fashion, Trump no doubt 100% turned the Presidential Pardon into a loving hidden immunity idol from Survivor.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

The raid really was about the Records Act and handling of classified materials, according to a Trump lawyer who refers back to the warrant.

Also Trump PERSONALLY SHOWED DoJ where the records were in Mar-a-Lago in June. :rubby:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's been shared already so I'll just paraphrase to get right to the point.

It is possible the warrant for Mar-A-Lago docs was sort of a trojan horse to get the FBI on-site. Any evidence of other crimes they find is fair play. They can have a warrant to look, say, in the safe for these classified items. If they also happened to find something obviously attached to J6 or the fake electors scheme, they can have it and they can use it.

I've been saying all along Turmp and Co. are too goddamned stupid to competently hide anything. Like a week later we found out Alex Jones' lawyers sent his cellphone data to the plaintiff's attorneys. And now the J6 Committee has two years of data. Every text, e-mail, what-have-you. That is exactly the sort of ridiculous negligence I refer to, and I am quite confident there will be more. We just haven't heard, yet.

Don't forget there were something like seven documentary film crews on and around the Insurrection. I've no doubt when we finally get the juicy details it's going to be face-palmingly, heart-stoppingly insane.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fuschia tude posted:

There is an actual process to issuing a pardon. Trump skipped some of the preliminary investigative steps presidents had traditionally carried out, determining someone was who they said they were, and they actually deserved a pardon, and it wouldn't be a political liability, and so on; he didn't care about any of that. But an important step is still the actual promulgation, publicly announcing the pardon.

If the court checks with the National Archives and they have no evidence any such pardon exists, then it doesn't. There is not a court in this country, even Trump appointees, that would accept that a supposed Trump pardon really was issued 20+ months ago purely on his say-so, without any actual records proving its provenance.

Publicly announcing a pardon is not something that has been definitively established as a requirement. We probably should not recognize a "secret pardon", and the government would challenge the validity of a secret pardon that is presented to a court after someone is charged, and a court should probably not recognize a secret pardon as being valid. However, presuming you can somehow prove that a secret pardon was done while Trump was president (through video, reliable witnesses, or whatever), then this is something that is still debated in academia, but we don't really know if this is an option or not because no president has ever tried to do it before.

All that said, I really doubt this exists, because it would have leaked by now. Too many people who are now being chased by the committee would have had to know about it.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 10, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lol if this is the crime they go with

https://twitter.com/yarbro/status/1557136280785403904

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LMAO!

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

If that's the actual statue cited it will be pretty hilarious. Hoist by his own petard

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Please let this be it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
well well well, if it isnt the consequences of my own actions

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Me writing laws: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me subject to laws: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Kavros posted:

Me writing laws: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me subject to laws: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Conservatives.txt

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

That doesn't apply due to the "this law is for thee but not for me" statute of presidential authority

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

This being Trump, he probably faxed top secret documents to Putin and then had Kevin McCarthy cover the fax machine in LSD coated cartoon gorilla stickers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

Publicly announcing a pardon is not something that has been definitively established as a requirement. We probably should not recognize a "secret pardon", and the government would challenge the validity of a secret pardon that is presented to a court after someone is charged, and a court should probably not recognize a secret pardon as being valid. However, presuming you can somehow prove that a secret pardon was done while Trump was president (through video, reliable witnesses, or whatever), then this is something that is still debated in academia, but we don't really know if this is an option or not because no president has ever tried to do it before.

All that said, I really doubt this exists, because it would have leaked by now. Too many people who are now being chased by the committee would have had to know about it.

Eh, the onus would be on the defense to prove it was a valid pardon. That’s a big hurdle to overcome outside the normal process.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/09/trump-world-republicans-fbi-2024-run-00050485

quote:

By the end of the night, the RNC had dashed off a fundraising text: “THIS IS NOT A DRILL: UNPRECEDENTED move Biden’s FBI RAIDS Pres. Trump’s home. Time to take back Congress.”
"Two agencies down, with the middle agency very clearly operating without the direct influence of the president, directly received marching orders from the president to uphold the security requirements and the oath of office of the executive branch. We must fix this... with the legislative branch!"
:lsd:

The "law and order party" does its usual fine job of explaining how they'd abuse agencies.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
lol if a trump appointed fbi head goes after trump with a warrant signed by a trump judge over a violation of a trump law

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Murgos posted:

Eh, the onus would be on the defense to prove it was a valid pardon. That’s a big hurdle to overcome outside the normal process.

In a 6-3 decision today....

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cr0y posted:

Keep in mind most of these guys were imbeciles far out of their depth who’d at best be one term representatives, so their conception of government is not grounded in reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3UxfSiczbA

Or it could just be the equivalent of an

IOU 1 Pardon

- DJT

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The extreme comedy option is that people were promised a secret pardon but Trump just has a stack of Mcdonalds napkins with "I don't even know who that is" written on them

Keisari
May 24, 2011

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/10/politics/trump-deposition-ny-attorney-general/index.html

Holy poo poo. My jaw dropped. Itshappening.gif

The guy literally can't not lie. He's most definitely going to perjure the gently caress out of himself

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
C'mon Donald, there are still easy ways out. Don't fear the reaper

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The constant banana republic references are just so... I don't even know how to feel about them. Frustrated, amused, confused. None of these people have any idea what the word means (like many of the words they use), and they clearly don't care, but god drat do they believe it with all their hearts. They just... latch on to this stuff. Do they think it means anything beyond "bad"? Do they even think that or is it like just a outcome thing where they use it without thinking about what it means at all because they think it benefits them somehow? Or is it just regurgitation, and there's no thought that goes into it at all beyond some sort of aesthetic and popular appeal?

I really want to read a linguistics paper about this phenomena.

Keisari posted:

The guy literally can't not lie. He's most definitely going to perjure the gently caress out of himself

I wonder what will happen if he just refuses to show up.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Keisari posted:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/10/politics/trump-deposition-ny-attorney-general/index.html

Lots of "I do not recall" is my guess.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Keisari posted:

He's gonna wiggle out of this like he has everything from emoluments to an insurrection.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GlyphGryph posted:

The constant banana republic references are just so... I don't even know how to feel about them.

Most of the people using a phrase like "banana republic" would be perfectly happy with the OSS killing a bunch of Honduran banana farmers on behalf of United Fruit Company, so I'm pretty sure it's not coming from any deep historical well of political insight.

I always thought it was a pretty gross name even for a store - simultaneously racist and also gloating about American corporate imperialism

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 10, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It does feel like a certain, "We can't investigate the President of the United States" spell has worn off and everyone and their dog is investigating him now

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Banana Republic is nearly as useless of a term for discussion as "third world" is.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Keisari posted:

I thought I remembered reading that the very few times he has ever had to answer questions for a lawsuit (usually after not paying someone) he's always been pretty good about not remembering and not recalling poo poo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The fact that it's private means he'll probably do fine. It's a public hearing where he'd have an audience and he wouldn't be able to resist playing to said audience I think that he'd have trouble.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

The constant banana republic references are just so... I don't even know how to feel about them. Frustrated, amused, confused. None of these people have any idea what the word means (like many of the words they use), and they clearly don't care, but god drat do they believe it with all their hearts. They just... latch on to this stuff. Do they think it means anything beyond "bad"? Do they even think that or is it like just a outcome thing where they use it without thinking about what it means at all because they think it benefits them somehow? Or is it just regurgitation, and there's no thought that goes into it at all beyond some sort of aesthetic and popular appeal?

I really want to read a linguistics paper about this phenomena.

I wonder what will happen if he just refuses to show up.

You know how Trump's weird "like a dog!" tweets were evidence that he has never seen a dog?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thing that gets me about FBI raid is that these people defending Trump still don't the first single idea what was confiscated or what it involved. Nobody does. But, of course, Trump is automatically an innocent victim.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

I thought I remembered reading that the very few times he has ever had to answer questions for a lawsuit (usually after not paying someone) he's always been pretty good about not remembering and not recalling poo poo.

Yeah I was going to say what's to prevent him from just pleading the Fifth on everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

The fact that it's private means he'll probably do fine. It's a public hearing where he'd have an audience and he wouldn't be able to resist playing to said audience I think that he'd have trouble.

Are the recording or transcripts going to be made available afterwards?

I'm looking forward to a "What Is a Photocopier?" level of deposition here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

BiggerBoat posted:

Thing that gets me about FBI raid is that these people defending Trump still don't the first single idea what was confiscated or what it involved. Nobody does. But, of course, Trump is automatically an innocent victim.

It's incredible just how mad they are without even a hint of misconduct. I mean I knew all fascists are little crybabies but wow.