Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He's gone a bit Canadian alt-right. Covid denier, big fan of the truck convoys etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A lot of his language is problematic. Measuring things in c*nt hairs and the like.

He was very pro anti-vax-trucker convoy in Canada

I’m pretty sure hes a chud, but the rare kind of chud who is smart enough to not run his mouth constantly about it so that he can hang on to his anti-chud viewers

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Ah, hell. That's disappointing to hear.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I watched him before the crazy times. He had some interesting content. But yea, nah. No thanks.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A lot of his language is problematic. Measuring things in c*nt hairs and the like

It wasn’t so much the language itself for me, but the CONSTANT use of them and it was always the same sayings/jokes. If he used them more sparingly or had more variety it would be a thousands times better.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nothing about his videos was ever good

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Seeing the workings of the tools while he talked about some of the processes involved was kind of interesting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When he’s explaining the tech behind stuff it’s good content but he can’t keep his trap shut about gross stuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A lot of his language is problematic. Measuring things in c*nt hairs and the like.

This was a couple Automotive Insanity superstars at one point and it always made me cringe so hard. Just imagining that wheezy laugh after saying something like “this vacuum tube sucks harder than your sister!” gives me chills.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Aren't they bound by law to offer some bare minimum warranty? Over here in Europe, if you sell brand-new goods commercially, you have to grant a two year warranty. I assume there's exemptions for small runs, but this is probably gonna be anything but a small run.

I don't know about Canada but the US doesn't have a good track record when it comes to protecting consumers.

Or workers, women, minorities, gay people, or anyone who isn't rich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

quote:

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ave gave me a really bad vibe after watching only a couple of his videos so I feel vindicated to find out he's worse than I expected

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

This was a couple Automotive Insanity superstars at one point and it always made me cringe so hard. Just imagining that wheezy laugh after saying something like “this vacuum tube sucks harder than your sister!” gives me chills.

I agree it's unfunny but my god don't act like you're now somehow psychologically scarred from all your cringing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Every terrible post I make and read inflicts a small but tangible wound on my psyche

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
new allegation of inappropriate behavior at LTT is making the rounds. allegedly, and again this is apparently the kind of thing that people apparently discord to each other out of the blue so no claims as to validity, naomi wu, a chinese tech youtuber alleges that linus's behaviour at a chinese conference originally was nice and was in some kind of group chat with him and his wife, at which point linus somehow dropped her (not clear if he removed her from the chat or DMed or what) and sent wu an invitation to come to his hotel in the middle of the night. as she puts it:

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1557309978251210752?s=20&t=4c8uEq-3e7xZM60zP3Fz8Q

no idea whatsoever on validity or the person in question, don't know her from adam i can honestly say. i thought i knew of her from a cosplay someone did where they lit up their anatomy as part of a cyberpunk costume, but i might be misremembering otherwise i've never heard of her but she seems like a legit smaller creator from the most cursory glance.

there seems to be some unpleasantness with her being harassed over it too as you see alleged in the tweet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CoolCab posted:

no idea whatsoever on validity or the person in question, don't know her from adam i can honestly say. i thought i knew of her from a cosplay someone did where they lit up their anatomy as part of a cyberpunk costume, but i might be misremembering otherwise i've never heard of her but she seems like a legit smaller creator from the most cursory glance.

there seems to be some unpleasantness with her being harassed over it too as you see alleged in the tweet.

Naomi Wu's a somewhat legendary tech person who has a history of being constantly shouted down or has people cast doubt on whether or not she actually made the stuff she does. She made the camera for spotting people taking upskirt photos that people mass reported on Youtube for violating privacy, and got doxxed by Vice about being a lesbian when she refused to talk to them about a story they were doing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

njsykora posted:

Naomi Wu's a somewhat legendary tech person who has a history of being constantly shouted down or has people cast doubt on whether or not she actually made the stuff she does. She made the camera for spotting people taking upskirt photos that people mass reported on Youtube for violating privacy, and got doxxed by Vice about being a lesbian when she refused to talk to them about a story they were doing.

demonstrating my ignorance then, that was a five second lookup going purely by follower count and blue check on twitter. that's even worse.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Just :lol: if it's confirmed Linus is a creep, but also I would caution about Naomi Wu. She's done a lot of really cool poo poo but she also unquestionably has a persecution complex and some questionable history herself that's hard to overlook. The poo poo the NYT and Vice pulled with her was absolute horseshit, but she also has a history of completely unreasonable blowups and at least being deceptive if not outright lying.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

K8.0 posted:

Just :lol: if it's confirmed Linus is a creep, but also I would caution about Naomi Wu. She's done a lot of really cool poo poo but she also unquestionably has a persecution complex and some questionable history herself that's hard to overlook. The poo poo the NYT and Vice pulled with her was absolute horseshit, but she also has a history of completely unreasonable blowups and at least being deceptive if not outright lying.

it's hard because i'm trying to describe it as best as she has (they seem to be referencing some stuff that's already been pulled or is maybe in a reply tweet chain i can't find, she tweets a lot) and i know from other times he talked about linus was basically dead on his feet doing that video, hated making it extremely passionately and basically can't really reflect positively on the content he made which did crazy well because he had such a miserable time.

the most charitable read, the one wu initally took is maybe he legitimately is so hollywood that he was like "we can't use her for (reason x, maybe the wife) but schedule her for after so i can explain" and afterwards wound up being like midnight or whatever. i dunno it's a very very loving stupid thing to do, and wu's reaction of absofuckinglutely not was both completely justified and safe. and ghosting her after makes it look even worse. i don't think she's lying and i think linus is a fuckin idiot even if it was totally innocent.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I can't wait for Linus to manage a world-record bad response to this given his utter inability to admit that he might have been wrong about something. Even if he actually is innocent he'll probably find a way to come out looking horrible.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also if it is innocent and this is the kind of thing he innocently does loving no wonder he's so anti union and why his wife is his hr department lead, lmao

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Linus is absolutely the awkward type of nerd who makes a business meeting sound like an impromptu booty call

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CoolCab posted:

the most charitable read, the one wu initally took is maybe he legitimately is so hollywood that he was like "we can't use her for (reason x, maybe the wife) but schedule her for after so i can explain" and afterwards wound up being like midnight or whatever. i dunno it's a very very loving stupid thing to do, and wu's reaction of absofuckinglutely not was both completely justified and safe. and ghosting her after makes it look even worse. i don't think she's lying and i think linus is a fuckin idiot even if it was totally innocent.

This sounds plausible to me. But because Linus is the person who cannot understand that just because you didn't technically do wrong doesn't make you right he's absolutely going to create a multi-car pile up on WAN show tomorrow.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, he claims he meant the hotel lobby as the meeting place but instead of trying to be diplomatic about it, it's Linus.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
please tell me he's not going to discuss the finer points of sexual propriety with a loving pirate hat pfp

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
He's going to discuss the finer points of sexual propriety with a pirate hat pfp

Sorry

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I decided to go look more up on her twitter and... yeah this is the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. She blows the gently caress up for absolutely no reason.

https://twitter.com/dkarg/status/1557620294876930048

Click and scroll up to get the thread. She does this poo poo all the time, makes an assumption and sticks to it like glue... but if you go to the person's twitter, you can see that he's tweeting for a while about how he's enjoying a more plaintext twitter and wishing for a return to a more early-90s style internet where content consumption is more deliberate than the modern visual engagement/automated endless push content style, then he @s her about it and she immediately decides that this is entirely about him not wanting to see her tits and blows the gently caress up and insists that he's lying despite the evidence clearly pointing the other way.

e - to be clear, I don't necessarily fault her initial reaction given the ordinary course of her experiences, but I'm so sick of the way she refuses to accept when she's very obviously wrong about her first assumption despite the evidence. It's why I stopped following her and only occasionally go to her youtube to see what stuff she's done, but I really have to take it all with a grain of salt now.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 11, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

This seems like the main back-and-forth:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

K8.0 posted:

but she also has a history of completely unreasonable blowups and at least being deceptive if not outright lying.
This feels a bit tinged with "LOL Crazy Sexy Lady" considering we're talking about Linus, who has a history of unreasonable blowups and shady if not deceptive statements.

Wu has a very enlightening video about why she presents the way she does and her background, for anyone interested.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Love to start my defense with "My reputation is impeccable".

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

power crystals posted:

I can't wait for Linus to manage a world-record bad response to this given his utter inability to admit that he might have been wrong about something. Even if he actually is innocent he'll probably find a way to come out looking horrible.

Maybe, a list of everyone he hasn't had sex with.
No names this time, just artistic impressions using that AI thing

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i did not pull that defense about linus from his btw, just from my extremely and tragically diseased memory and brain

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mewse posted:

This seems like the main back-and-forth:

Used to do public facing comms work for orgs and I can safely say it is never ever a good idea for the CEO or equivalent to have unfettered access to the work social media.

If you work in communications or PR the number one best thing you can do is change the Twitter password and not tell the boss the new one.

FilthyImp posted:

This feels a bit tinged with "LOL Crazy Sexy Lady" considering we're talking about Linus, who has a history of unreasonable blowups and shady if not deceptive statements.

Wu has a very enlightening video about why she presents the way she does and her background, for anyone interested.

Yeah I agree with this sentiment. Clearly doing what she does for work combined with how she looks is going to put her under a huge amount of pressure and abuse from internet chuds that Linus will simply never experience, which can make online interactions in the margins of your work (e.g. on twitter) more tense because you're under so much stress. My view would be that everyone who works in a public capacity should be very careful about not losing their cool on social media, however people making memes about Linus' unshaven face isn't really in the same ballpark as what she probably experiences and he has far less of a justification than Wu does to respond in a confrontational way to people.

As someone who is arguably the leader in his space he should also be extremely aware of how the power differential will colour all of his on/offline interactions, regardless of whether he feels in his tech boy liberty brain that this is unfair or undeserved.

The other thing the dude really needs to learn but never will is to learn whether someone online is talking to you or about you. If it's the latter, you should never respond. It can present as the former and still be the latter. If you can't make the distinction, give someone else control of your socials.

Not to theorize too much, but part of me wonders whether his ridiculous recent online behaviour - markedly worse than normal - is because they massively expanded LTT from 2020 where people were buying more computer stuff for their homes etc etc, but now there's a decade+ global recession round the corner (plus an ongoing supply chain crisis moving people away from the PC gaming space) the mansion and warehouse and whatever else that was added to the LTT empire are looking like more and more fraught?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linus should realize that as a white male in tech, he will automatically garner a gaggle of also white incel chuds who will absolutely pounce on anyone who decries his name, especially if that person isnt white or male, and he should act accordingly

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linus should realize

I found the problem with this plan.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linus should also realize that as a white male in tech, he will automatically garner a gaggle of incel chuds who will absolutely pounce on anyone who decries his name, especially if that person isnt white or male.

Yes exactly, it's the Graham Linehan cautionary tale all over - it doesn't matter how right you think you are (not that he is), if you quote tweet someone who is not a public persona with 30 followers to slam them you are going to completely ruin their life as your bigoted followers make their social media (and probably their entire phone) hostile and unusable, and you will always come across like the bully that you are being.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

I decided to go look more up on her twitter and...

take that, women on the internet

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inept posted:

take that, women on the internet
Also atomic lols at "Let me page through your Twitter!" while ignoring the huge pinned tweet that is basically "why am I this way"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linus should realize that as a white male in tech, he will automatically garner a gaggle of also white incel chuds who will absolutely pounce on anyone who decries his name, especially if that person isnt white or male, and he should act accordingly

Linus didn't bring this up or comment on it at all currently, this is 4chan shitlords who Naomi Wu decided to give attention to.

Like, he probably shouldn't have responded that way back in 2021 (regardless of whether he did something wrong or it was just a miscommunication).

But also, if you don't enjoy getting getting bad attention from 4chan shitlords, don't link to 4chan threads and screenshot 4chan posts on your twitter. There are far more white incel chuds there than in the LTT fanbase or anywhere else.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

making sure to put a disclaimer about maybe linus isn't perfect before the multi-sentence making GBS threads on the woman who accused him sure is popular this page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

But also, if you don't enjoy getting getting bad attention from 4chan shitlords, don't link to 4chan threads and screenshot 4chan posts on your twitter. There are far more white incel chuds there than in the LTT fanbase or anywhere else.
It's not like the strategy of "just ignore it" has ever worked. Wu tends to have the subtlety of a brick to the face, but she already suffered a lot of reputation damage from westerners make poo poo up about her. So one can't blame her for immediately publicly going "gently caress you, here's what actually happened" so she can point to that in the future.