Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I’m still on YNAB 4, but I tried out Budget with Buckets when the price kerfluffle happened and liked it enough that I’ll likely switch to that if YNAB 4 ever stops working for me. I don’t use any sort of import, I like adding my own transactions.

I never actually tried new YNAB so I don’t know what features it has, but I liked how Buckets showed progress in each category with a goal and how much to add each month for a timed goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kusaru posted:

I’m still on YNAB 4, but I tried out Budget with Buckets when the price kerfluffle happened and liked it enough that I’ll likely switch to that if YNAB 4 ever stops working for me. I don’t use any sort of import, I like adding my own transactions.

I never actually tried new YNAB so I don’t know what features it has, but I liked how Buckets showed progress in each category with a goal and how much to add each month for a timed goal.

Good to know there is an alternative that will mostly work. Im so ingrained with YNAB4 now though that I will keep it running in a VM for eternity.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
hey ynab thread. i used to use ynab4 but managing transactions and constantly downloading/importing lists was a huge pain in the rear end. the new ynab sounds like it hasn't really gotten any better from when it first started

if i'm mainly just interested in seeing where spending is going and not worrying about the budget itself so much, is mint a better option? the thread op is over 11 years old now and i'm not sure what the recommendations are.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Zamujasa posted:

hey ynab thread. i used to use ynab4 but managing transactions and constantly downloading/importing lists was a huge pain in the rear end. the new ynab sounds like it hasn't really gotten any better from when it first started

if i'm mainly just interested in seeing where spending is going and not worrying about the budget itself so much, is mint a better option? the thread op is over 11 years old now and i'm not sure what the recommendations are.

Shamelessly posting from r/ynab a few months ago (also don’t use Mint):

quote:

Aspire - Free solution and works with Google Sheets but does not have automatic sync with your bank

Tiller - similar to YNAB has automatic sync with your bank cost 80 bucks a year but not as great of a UI in my opinion

Good budget - similar to YNAB has the charts does offer a free tier or a paid tier ($60 per year) envelope method allows up to five devices and seven years of history has debt tracking as well

Buckets - privacy focused stays all on your computers unlimited free trial but does have a $49 one-time fee it does allow to sync with your bank and seems like the most one-to-one comparison with YNAB but does seem to lack some of the charts and accounting features

Co-pilot - All app based but seems very similar to YNAB does allow syncing with your banks does allow goals and charts cost is $69 per year

TOTALLY DIFFERENT BUDGETING SOLUTIONS

Mint - need I say more it’s the most common but blast you with ads and has a very dated UI and not a lot of flexibility with its primary categories that you can’t delete

Every dollar - Dave Ramsey solution does not have fancy reporting based off of the Dave Ramsey methodology which may or may not work for some people

Google sheets - it can be whatever you want it to be

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

If you are more interested in analyzing spending/reasoning about scenarios and plans rather than envelope budgeting, Pocketsmith might be your jam.

I use YNAB for my personal budget but my spouse and I are starting up with Pocketsmith which more closely matches her mental models (and what you are describing) and it seems really promising.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My short experience with Pocketsmith was that their service was great (extended free trial, lots of help by email) but the product was too automated for me. I couldn't auto-import from my bank and manually entering transactions was really slow. And there was no way to split transactions so the reports were basically how much I spent at different places instead of how much I spent in different categories.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sad to say I’m probably just going to eat the YNAB price hike. Auto-import is a must. It’s a nice to have for me, but my wife doesn’t enter poo poo so I need it for my sanity.

It just sucks that Plaid kind of blows and I have to re-auth certain accounts almost monthly. And is super slow with certain banks. We had one CC (BBVA/Compass/now PNC) that would only import once a month. Nothing like having your budget looking all nice and pretty and BOOM a whole month of transactions napalming your green numbers. Thankfully we closed that one.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

Shamelessly posting from r/ynab a few months ago (also don’t use Mint):

Shamelessly stole this for the OP.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since this is probably tl;dr, just click on the Get Started button to see why this is pretty lol-worthy.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/coaching/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m certified in YNAB

*points to net worth graph moving upward*

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since this is probably tl;dr, just click on the Get Started button to see why this is pretty lol-worthy.

jesus christ this company

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Their newish subscription model is so pants on head stupid. Like I would've gladly paid $50 every 4-5 years for updates to keep the app working with new OSs, mobile support, newer graphs etc.

Now it'll just run in WINE or a windows VM for eternity and god as my witness they'll never get another dime from me!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I paid the subscription fee because I have had a lot of success sticking to a budget and paying down debt with YNAB (granted my sample size is only two months).

if you're not using it as a debt utility* then I'm not really sure what the point is, and this will likely be the only time I subscribe.

*there are a lot of apps that can accomplish this but like I said I've been very successful with YNAB after several attempts with other apps.

I'll probably go to something a little more hands off once my CCs are paid off.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

$500, fairly extensive time commitment, no extra support outside of being part of the YNAB community, no coaching clients provided and no way to charge them for coaching sessions using YNABs platform.

Hell of a deal I’m all in.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If I have to deal with another spreadsheet entry I'm going to go insane. Is there a tool out there that does simple expense tracking and reporting without all the extra bullshit of budgeting along with it? I know Mint can basically do that, but Mint requires you to do automatic imports to even sign up and I don't want to do that. I'm perfectly happy if could just manually import transactions and categorize them with a couple clicks then get a nice little monthly and annual graph. That's all I want, which seems to basically be a incredible ask if every tool I can find is anything to go by.

The problem with just sticking with a spreadsheet is importing transactions is never a clean process, ultimately making it easier to just manually type things out. I really don't care about individual transactions so much as totals each month so I usually end up just totaling ever transaction over the month and dropping it in a single entry by category. Which you think wouldn't be a problem but it means going down the whole list of transactions across a few different websites and totaling them all up for one type of transaction, then doing it all over for another, then another. Or I could jot down each transaction as I go into separate categories and then add them all up at the end. Which is where a budgeting tool would be super helpful, I wouldn't have to manually segment out each transaction then total them all up together, it'd be great if I could just import the list, select a category for the individual item, and move on.

Which literally every tool supports, but then it all falls apart when the zero sum budgeting dynamic requires poo poo like doing extra steps to associate the transaction negative with the budgeted entry for the category, because associating a $15 monthly transaction with a $15 monthly budgeted item is serious rocket science for an automated app. Or how if I don't care about zeroing everything and can recognize a simple pattern because I'm a human being, the numbers get all hosed up month by month.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Have you tried https://www.tillerhq.com/ ? It’s basically a service that automates fetching transaction data into spreadsheet templates. I haven’t tried it yet but it’s one of the things I was looking at late last year.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I just can't get out of YNAB4, because I am a Euro goon and the few (attempts) at making replacements for YNAB all seem to only support them dollar doshs. Really I think I only need a good balancing tool at this point, I can live without the budget features.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I think my YNAB4 cloud sync has poo poo the bed. Any ideas to get it working again? It's not pulling transactions I'm entering from my phone in to my desktop.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have to fairly frequently clear the cache and data from my (Android) YNAB4 app and resync it with the budget data in Dropbox. I would try that as a first step.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
poo poo. No dice. Won't even load a budget on the phone.

Edit: Created a test budget and can't load that either. What's really weird is that the phone can see the budgets but won't open them. I even reinstalled the YNAB app and resync'd to Dropbox and it still didn't work.

I can still Wi-Fi sync, but what a pain in the rear end that's gonna be.

Edit 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/ynab/comments/u4bnmi/ynab_classic_sync/
gently caress.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 17, 2022

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

From another Reddit post:

quote:

The syncing issue may be because android changed the storage API and apps using the older API aren’t able to access files from syncing apps like dropbox or syncthing like they used to. I’ve experienced this with a different app. There may some work arounds to force the old API, but they aren’t ones which can work in my case. But maybe you’d be able to find a way to use the old app still.

YNAB4 was working fine for me as of last night, and I have an iPhone so… phew.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
A wonderful soul on Reddit seems to have released an updated APK that resolves the issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/ynab/comments/u4bnmi/ynab_classic_sync/i55vgis/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

As always beware unsigned APKs and poo poo. I'm going to sit on it for a few days and make sure this isn't some kind of honeypot.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Never liked how auto import handled credit card holding transactions so I was looking for alternatives.

Looks like I missed the price increase (october 27th) renewal date. Guess I'll puts around and revert back to ynab 4 or firefly 3.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Beach Bum posted:

I'm going to sit on it for a few days and make sure this isn't some kind of honeypot.

Any updates on this?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

qsvui posted:

Any updates on this?

I followed the guide to update the APK myself and it diffs exactly the same as his post. I think it is legit, but if you don't, feel free to install apktool and adb and do it yourself, it is very easy (once you install those tools, which does take some fuckery).

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I went ahead and did it and it fixed the mobile app. Idk if it's stealing my bank info but the sync works again

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Might be of interest to people here. https://actualbudget.com/open-source

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Wow. At the end, it says Actual had 810 paid subscribers. $38,880/year. Ouch.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Has anyone here tried True Bill? I know it's advertised as a way to get your bills lowered, but I'm wondering if anyone has used it purely for budgeting reasons.

I used YNAB way back in the day and it helped me pay down my student loans early, but now I barely use my computer anymore, and true bill and new YNAB both have phone apps to complement the computer version. I would really like to get back into budgeting, and having something that syncs with my accounts would really help me move towards that goal.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
YNAB has been having trouble syncing with my Capital One credit card lately.

I am at a point where I don’t really need to be neurotic about every penny and I don’t feel like logging small stuff like $2 coffee purchases anymore. But if I don’t have a budget I don’t feel like I’m being responsible, and zero based budgeting seems like the best match for me.

I’d like to just check it once a day to see how my budget is tracking for the month, but I have to reconnect my Capital One account for it to import, otherwise it might take days (if it imports at all — lotta orange wrenches popping up though).

This is very inconvenient.

Grr….

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

My capital one accounts work fine, maybe just open a ticket with support, you might be connected to an old provider

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah my C1 Walmart card seems to be a card that actually works well.

BBVA loving sucks and it was a big reason we got rid of it. It constantly disconnected, only imported transactions once a month, and you had to constantly call them to fix poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for the tip about putting in a support ticket. I got a really quick response and I am switching from plaid to MX, which I suppose works better with Mastercards (I have a hunch that MX is a Mastercard company?).

I know people hate paying for YNAB but the app has helped me pay down thousands of dollars of debt so I’ve definitely got my money’s worth. The bucket system and zero based budgeting just clicks so well with me.

The quick response to my issue from YNAB helps as well.

e: I guess MX isn't a Mastercard thing and is its own company.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 14, 2022

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

RichardA posted:

Might be of interest to people here. https://actualbudget.com/open-source

Between this, buckets, and simplefin I'm super hopeful that this will be the last year I'm on YNAB. The only thing keeping me is transaction syncing and a lot of other projects look close to solving that issue. As soon as one does, I'm out.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

spinst posted:

Someone wrote a script that converts YNAB4 from 32-bit to 64-bit, enabling it to be used on newer Mac OS. Provided you still have your key.

Use at your own risk, of course. I didn't write it so I have no idea if it also steals all your information. https://gitlab.com/bradleymiller/Y64/-/blob/master/install

+1 on this, I used a fork of this I found here awhile back and it worked fine and my identity wasn't stolen. Kept the output dmg in case I ever need to reinstall and they pull the installer from their website.

I never did move to nYNAB and I looked into maybe trying it recently, saw it's $15 goddamn united states dollars per month now, and changed my mind. I won't even use bank integration (gently caress giving a third party my credentials) so I'm not going to subsidize that feature. I would have happily paid $5/mo or something... i'm not opposed to subscriptions for software and I even subscribe to a really useful grocery list app but it's like $15/year not $15/mo.

I tried Pocketsmith out and it's ok but kinda janky. I'm going to give Budget with Buckets a try. Failing that I'll stick w/ ynab4 as long as I can.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ill run YNAB4 in a VM and keep it chugging along as long as I can. They'll never take it away from me.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I didn't end up migrating to BwB as it didn't really appeal to me. I also tried the Buxfer demo; it seems decent and the price is good (4usd/mo) but I could not figure out how to split transactions, which is quite important to me.

So in the end I went crawling back to ynab4. However, I was sick of how ridiculously slow my 10 year old file was (even after compressing it and doing a few fresh starts over the years) so I decided to restart my budget effective Jan 1 this year in ynab4. Created my accounts, set opening balances, and recreated my current categories, exported registers from my old file as csvs, imported into my new ynab4 budget. Everything categorized properly so i just had to approve, delete some duplicate transfers, and I was done.

Net result? My ynab budget file "package" went from ~220MB to ~2MB!

Good for another ten years and

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ill run YNAB4 in a VM and keep it chugging along as long as I can. They'll never take it away from me.

i'll absolutely do this too if it comes to it.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Just wanted to chime in that I successfully switched to Budget with Buckets in about an hour.

Only found out about the subscription price hike because i got an email from apple saying the sub price is going up and they won't auto-renew until I accept the new price (Thanks Apple!)

The analysis charts are more helpful to me than the YNAB charts which I always just found completely useless in a Mint-like way.

Only downside is no mobile app to categorize/clear transactions coming in.

SimpleFIN is fascinating and I like their mission statement but good luck getting banks to adopt lmao. I tried their API directly and it makes me want to
1. Try to import into google sheets automatically somehow
2. Build my own app on top of it because the bucket approach still doesn't exactly match my mental model.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For any replacement app, what I really want/need is something like the detailed income/expense report in YNAB. Seems like practically no one is implementing that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Am hoping I can get an idea of what budgeting software I can use since I haven't had a lot of luck with any of the big ones lately aside from Excel (and it's hard to track how much I spend on, say, Lego sets each quarter doing everything through Excel).

I live most of my life on plastic and put all my monthly payments on a credit card aside from rent. I pay off the card in full each month. Budget software seems to tell me I need to be saving money in August to pay for what I'm buying in August but I'm using my August paycheck to pay for what I bought in July, if that makes sense. This leads to my budgets always looking like they're in the red because I have a credit card debt of $6 trillion in June and then at the beginning of July I pay off $6 trillion and instead have a credit card debt of $4 million made up of stuff I bought in June. Kind of feels like I'm entering in data twice when I put my Lego grand piano on my credit card in July, entered it as something I bought in July's budget, and it's sitting as an expense on my credit card total in August's budget.

I guess it's hard for me to wrap my head around budgeting when I have a huge red negative sign over all my entries and budget programs are like HOLY poo poo YOU ARE $10 MILLION IN DEBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when actually I'm only $5 million in debt :colbert: