Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

All the pumps I've interacted with so far that show video ads can be silenced with one of the buttons next to the screen. Just press all of them into either the sound stops or the pump blasts off or whatever.

I keep a sharpie in my car and write "MUTE" on the button that makes Cheddar TV stop happening. I wouldn't call my self a hero, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shrecknet posted:

I keep a sharpie in my car and write "MUTE" on the button that makes Cheddar TV stop happening. I wouldn't call my self a hero, but...

LOL. I do the exact same poo poo and write dumb crap like "gently caress your ads" or whatever and draw cartoon dicks and what have you on those things.

Godspeed fellow Sharpie Soldier, Schrecknet. You're a hero in my book

:fsmug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BiggerBoat posted:

As a bit of an aside, my new job has all of our "team members" on a WhatsApp message board so now, in addition to the scores of emails and texts I get every day, I have to monitor that poo poo when I'm off the clock.
What happens when you say, "I'm sorry, but I have plans for the evenings"?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Clock in, read the message, clock out. Every message.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hasn't really come up yet.

I ignore it for the most part and, to be fair, anything really important so far (like my schedule, benefits, etc.) has been sent to my personal email. BUT, when I tested positive for COVID last week, and had been in a tight training room with 7 other people, I figured I should probably put that on blast and notify folks.

If it ever comes to it, and I "miss" a "team message" on a Sunday informing me of some bullshit, I fully plan on letting them know I didn't see it since I wasn't on the clock and was at the water park or the beach with my kid. I'll report back when I finally learn how that goes but, to my mind, if you want me bascially "on call" 24/7, then pay me a loving salary.

Doesn't work that way, of course, but it should. I'm not leaving work at 6pm, driving an hour home then checking my app messages at 9 when I'm watching HBO or playing Elden Ring after eating dinner. Go gently caress yourselves

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Just mute the whatsapp group so you don't get any notifications from it, then you can only check it at your leisure when you're actually on the clock.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Blut posted:

Just mute the whatsapp group so you don't get any notifications from it, then you can only check it at your leisure when you're actually on the clock.
Exactly this. You can spend an hour of your working day every day examining every meme in great detail because "you don't want to miss anything important".

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Sagacity posted:

Exactly this. You can spend an hour of your working day every day examining every meme in great detail because "you don't want to miss anything important".

This. The best thing is to mute all notifications for every app except emails from the boss and customers, the phone is on dead silent always. I check stuff when I check stuff, no focus killers except the extremely rare phone call from a client.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also get a burner phone just for work.

even two.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Recently, Meta trained a machine-learning chatbot on Facebook data. A couple of days ago, it released that chatbot to the public, and surprise, it's exactly like how you'd expect: conspiracy theories, TRUMP, and racism at the drop of a hat.

https://twitter.com/micahwalter/status/1556355132119547907
https://twitter.com/JeffHorwitz/status/1556247595781042177
https://twitter.com/JeffHorwitz/status/1556364202511454208

The funny part is that it's not even a good chatbot. It gets confused easily and muddles up subjects quite a bit.

Honestly, at this point I'm not sure why AI researches keep releasing chatbots trained on what a large number of internet users think. It's always just a bunch of garbage, and it's been done so many times that we can't even say that it reflects any useful information anymore. Yeah, the internet's a cesspool, but we know that. Yeah, machine learning algorithms can't rely entirely on unscreened internet text, but companies keep making them that way.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"well we filtered out all the things that people said with Tay, that's good enough right?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol that they saw this exact thing happen to Microsoft and just released this into the wild anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volmarias posted:

"well we filtered out all the things that people said with Tay, that's good enough right?

Tay was better because she was at least funny when she was being lovely and terribly racist. This is just capitalism.txt with a chatbot frontend.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Social media is so driven by bots/astroturfing that you're not even repeating back anything that real people are saying or thinking.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Recently, Meta trained a machine-learning chatbot on Facebook data.

Main Paineframe posted:

The funny part is that it's not even a good chatbot. It gets confused easily and muddles up subjects quite a bit.
Sounds to me like it's a pretty good chatbot in terms of fitting its training data.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Foxfire_ posted:

Sounds to me like it's a pretty good chatbot in terms of fitting its training data.

That chatbot is indistinguishable from the FB comment section of any number of pages.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wonder if Alan Turing ever imagined that real-life people would be failing his test.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We've designed the computers to hate Jews.

What in the gently caress?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We didn't even do that, we designed the text generator to hate jews. This technology is not really impressive at all and has been available for decades.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

We didn't even do that, we designed the text generator to hate jews. This technology is not really impressive at all and has been available for decades.

admittedly the secret jew-hating chatbot was one of the more desperate late-war superweapons of nazi germany

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Buddy IBM was ahead of that particular curve nearly a century ago.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wonder if Alan Turing ever imagined that real-life people would be failing his test.

My favorite was when people used a Deepak Chopra bot in a scientific study of "pseudo-profound bullshit" and literally nobody, including Deppak Chopra, could tell which bullshit was coming from the bot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tobermory posted:

My favorite was when people used a Deepak Chopra bot in a scientific study of "pseudo-profound bullshit" and literally nobody, including Deppak Chopra, could tell which bullshit was coming from the bot.

Got a link?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Volmarias posted:

Buddy IBM was ahead of that particular curve nearly a century ago.

Yes I know that.

But that was barley a computer

Now its just 'computer set anti semitism threshold to 5'

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1556991029814886404

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Musk doesnt have* any kids why would he make a car that stops for them?

Also his Enrique is very very good and fast and only needs 1 second of leeway, never mind that defensive driving classes have like a 5 second or maybe even a 3 second following distance rule.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Move fast and break things

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

That chatbot is indistinguishable from the FB comment section of any number of pages.

the chatbot spells better

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Issue: Tesla car intentional runs over children.

Solution: When children are also driving tesla cars than does not occur. Issue is only that of lack of market situation.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1557224539267817472?s=20&t=MTlwFHS0K16kbpEo6SclGQ

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Elon: "How do we stop self-drive from not stopping correctly?"
Engineers: "Add LiDAR instead of just using easily fooled cameras you twat."
Elon: "No."
Engineers: "Welp, we tried."

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This probably has something to do with them charging up to $12000 to beta test autopilot (seriously :wtc:). I'd imagine people wouldn't be happy if they suddenly had to buy an expensive lidar upgrade for existing cars or the project just being declared a failure and only supported on models that don't exist yet.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mercury_Storm posted:

This probably has something to do with them charging up to $12000 to beta test autopilot (seriously :wtc:). I'd imagine people wouldn't be happy if they suddenly had to buy an expensive lidar upgrade for existing cars or the project just being declared a failure and only supported on models that don't exist yet.

They could just make up some bullshit about how the production release requires a hardware upgrade (LIDAR), and sell retrofit kits for a premium. The fans would probably have no issue with that.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It is kinda awesome that emerald boy managed to get in on a car company where 0-60 times are limited by tire technology.

Full stop, gently caress Elon Musk.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tech nightmare: I pay 12000 to beta test the murder children mini game

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1557489421318078464

start the clock and lets see how long this one lasts

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How many takes did she need to stop saying "white way" I wonder.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
God, imagine desiring to commit the physical act of love with a conservative... sick, sick poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Genuinely looking forward to this being something like AFF where just about every female account was a fake or a bot