Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder if the outage affected spam callers because I just realized I didn’t get any over the weekend lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

if the suez canal fiasco taught us anything it's that you should not be surprised to learn that our infrastructure is only one small gently caress up away from complete catastrophe at all times.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

polyester concept posted:

if the suez canal fiasco taught us anything it's that you should not be surprised to learn that our infrastructure is only one small gently caress up away from complete catastrophe at all times.

2003 blackout never forget

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
lol 5 days credit now

https://twitter.com/RogersHelps/status/1546997969098084354

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been having issues with LTE since the outage to the point that I'd have to switch over to to 3G for data to work reliably. After some troubleshooting it turns out that my phone downloaded APN info for Petro Canada Mobility while the network was all screwed up and my phone was defaulting to that. Sharing in case anyone else is still running into problems since the outage.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Apparently Rogers doesn’t have a roaming partner in the US now since 3G is gone over there. Are there any recommended travel sim providers for short trips to the US?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

T-Mobile has a $15 SIM for travelers, or did a while back anyway.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
If you can do esim US Mobile has a 10 day free trial with unlimited everything.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Acer Pilot posted:

Apparently Rogers doesn’t have a roaming partner in the US now since 3G is gone over there. Are there any recommended travel sim providers for short trips to the US?

They have LTE roaming with AT&T according to a news story from eight years ago.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Evis posted:

They have LTE roaming with AT&T according to a news story from eight years ago.

Apparently they just made it so people on Zoomer can't roam at all in the US because Rogers doesn't want to support VoLTE on Zoomer. The Zoomer FAQ just says you're poo poo out of luck but the Rogers FAQ mentions that your device needs to have VoLTE support. The best part is that if you're on Zoomer, you can't call 9-1-1 in an emergency if you're in the US.

https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/addons#addons-tab-travel

quote:

What is happening?​

Wireless providers in the United States, including AT&T and T-Mobile, will permanently shut down their 3G/HSPA networks effective July 1, 2022.​

As of July 1, 2022, all major U.S. carriers will permanently shut down their 3G/HSPA wireless network service within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands). If you're still roaming in the U.S., starting on July 1, 2022, you will no longer be able to use wireless roaming services (including Emergency 9-1-1). Please note, there is no impact to your service while in Canada.​

ALL customers will no longer be able to use wireless roaming services, such as wireless calls (including 911 calls), send or receive text messages or use cellular data while in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands).

Can I continue to use my wireless phone in the U.S.?

You will no longer be able to use wireless roaming services in the U.S. as of July 1, 2022. You will no longer be able to make or receive wireless calls (including 911 calls), send or receive text messages or use cellular data while in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands).

If I purchase or use a new device, will my wireless service work in the U.S.?

Unfortunately, no.

Yet if you're on Rogers proper...

https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/3g-shutdowns-postpaid?icid=R_WIR_HUP_Z2JZTU

quote:

What should I do if my phone no longer works after the shutdowns?
If your device is affected by the US 3G/HSPA network shutdowns and you’d still like to use talk, text and data services while travelling in the US, you’ll need to upgrade to a device that’s 4G LTE data and VoLTE roaming capable.

You can upgrade your phone online >, or contact us so we can help you upgrade.

Guess I'll take a look at US Mobile and T-Mobile, thanks!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol I was gonna say I used Roam Mobility on my last trip and it was decent, but they shut down in 2020.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We're mostly through 2022. Why, in this age, do I need a physical object from Rogers to activate an eSIM? It's a loving QR code (??), just sell me one on your website. Don't make me wait to receive a hunk of single use plastic in the mail.

I mean yeah, I can go buy one at the store too, but the whole concept of buying a physical item to enable a digital asset in 2022 is incredibly "Canadian Cellular" to me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ah yes, that Fido account I definitely have!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My mother got that and asked me if she should click the link.

I threatened to replace her phone with an Etch-A-Sketch

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can use that Fido rebate to pay for all the Norton Antivirus renewal demands in my spam box.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cannot believe my once trusted Norton is still standing, even if 90% of remaining computer users know absolutely nothing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do the big 3 do sales or promos for back to school? My needs have changed and I'm thinking of switching from Koodo to Telus proper but dunno if I should wait a few more weeks in case of sales.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Black friday is prob your best bet, whenever that is. Ours is before the yankee one isn't it?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

codo27 posted:

Black friday is prob your best bet, whenever that is. Ours is before the yankee one isn't it?

A lot of places hold black friday sales at the same time as US black friday to try to keep people from crossing the border for shopping. There's sometimes also Canadian thanksgiving sales. But the OG Canadian version of black friday is Boxing Day.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Housh posted:

Do the big 3 do sales or promos for back to school? My needs have changed and I'm thinking of switching from Koodo to Telus proper but dunno if I should wait a few more weeks in case of sales.

They used to. Two years ago this was the 2nd best time of the year to get a phone and plan. Larger discounts on the phone and better plans for people with no pre-negotiated deal through their employer. There was some semi-competition to get subscribers.

I’m waiting and watching for this years back to school deals as I need to switch someone off Freedom to an actual working network, but so far, nothing.

Maybe next week.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Speaking of Koodo, they're doing $60 for 20GB a month. Seems like a pretty good deal for a data plan

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God, every time I go to click on my koodo bookmark I click on loving kijiji instead. Who even needs kijiji anymore?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

Speaking of Koodo, they're doing $60 for 20GB a month. Seems like a pretty good deal for a data plan

All the discount ones are doing the same. I’m switching back to virgin from Koodo to get the deal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

codo27 posted:

God, every time I go to click on my koodo bookmark I click on loving kijiji instead. Who even needs kijiji anymore?

Realtalk, where do people do local sales now? Used to be craigs, now I use kijiji.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Facebook. :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Good thing about fb, if there is one, is you can easily deduce if the seller is a piece of poo poo at least by looking at their profile.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Kijiji is a blight and i’m annoyed that it seems to have displaced Craigslist. Seriously what kind of cursed online classifieds website doesn’t have a map for the housing rentals?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shofixti posted:

Kijiji is a blight and i’m annoyed that it seems to have displaced Craigslist. Seriously what kind of cursed online classifieds website doesn’t have a map for the housing rentals?

I have no idea how you Americans prefer craigslist, that web 1.0-rear end looking piece of crap.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

:raise:

Seriously though, in TYOOL 2022 Kijiji still doesn't have a loving map view to see where all the posted rentals are located. Probably because it would reduce ad views.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shofixti posted:

:raise:

Seriously though, in TYOOL 2022 Kijiji still doesn't have a loving map view to see where all the posted rentals are located. Probably because it would reduce ad views.

Use an adblocker dude, it's 2022.

(I forgot this was the Canada phone thread. :imunfunny: )

Can't you just use the distance filter to narrow the results for homes?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 10, 2022

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
When I lived in Vancouver Craigslist was the goto site but the rest of Canada doesn't really seem to use it at all for the most part. Once you are used to the clean simplicity of both posting and searching with Craigslist it's really frustrating to use other sites like Kijiji. Craigslist has nice straight forward searching where you can use exclusion terms, ors, ands, etc without having that modern web fuzzy searching where it tries to find as many similar results as it can which is usually unhelpful and just clutters the results. Kijiji also leans heavily into the pay model where you can give them money to push your product to the top of the results and I think there's also several other features that you have to pay for as a seller that are free on Craigslist. Now that I don't live on the west coast and have sworn off Facebook, Kijiji is the only option and it's both awful to use as well as dying to what I assume is Facebook marketplace. Nobody here uses Craigslist except to post scams or weird sex stuff (which is probably also scams).

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It used to be the best place to have a chance at finding affordable housing, but ypuu still had to F5 every 2 minutes for a month or write a script that shoots off an email when it detects a new post in your bracket.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Squibbles posted:

When I lived in Vancouver Craigslist was the goto site but the rest of Canada doesn't really seem to use it at all for the most part. Once you are used to the clean simplicity of both posting and searching with Craigslist it's really frustrating to use other sites like Kijiji. Craigslist has nice straight forward searching where you can use exclusion terms, ors, ands, etc without having that modern web fuzzy searching where it tries to find as many similar results as it can which is usually unhelpful and just clutters the results. Kijiji also leans heavily into the pay model where you can give them money to push your product to the top of the results and I think there's also several other features that you have to pay for as a seller that are free on Craigslist. Now that I don't live on the west coast and have sworn off Facebook, Kijiji is the only option and it's both awful to use as well as dying to what I assume is Facebook marketplace. Nobody here uses Craigslist except to post scams or weird sex stuff (which is probably also scams).

FB marketplace is good, I've consistently gotten faster/more intelligent results/replies than kiiiji. I've erased everything else about that poo poo social network, but i keep my account just for that and chat.

I really dislike how it doesn't use chronological posting for classifieds though.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
In Victoria BC, it seems like we leaned into UsedVictoria.com

But I’ve also seen people using VarageSale around here more and more. I’ve tried it myself and it’s not bad. Just no way of knowing how old a listing is, and they don’t move old listings out (while UsedVictoria does do that).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Rogers starting to insert "Likely Spam" into caller ID for suspicious calls now or is this something I added to my phone without remembering it?

I almost wanted to answer the phone and ask if this was a likely spam call but they're all automated these days. The last live human I got back when I still picked up voice calls was duct cleaning three years ago, and at least I could have some fun leading them on. Nowadays I feel I need to lean mandarin just to understand what crazy thing I'm being accused of and need to take immediate action on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont think its a rogers thing, but maybe I'm wrong. I get it with Koodo. I guess more and more people are employing call control because the spam texts have been out of control lately. God why cant all those scammers just burn alive

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yesterday I got 8 spam calls spoofing the same first 3 digits of my cell number. It's now up to like 80% of all incoming calls on my personal line and maybe 50% on my work line. CRTC is gonna do something right after they finish approving Shaw to Rogers though, for sure this time.

E: anyone else getting buttloads of "hi" or "hey, can we talk?" texts from random area codes around the country? I'm pretty sure it's hot single women that want to get to know me but I'm too shy to respond.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 10, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Basically if it's not a number in my address book I will literally not pick up the phone. I think there's a way to make my iPhone not ring unless it's from a known number but I think that involves monkeying with do-not-disturb settings or something so for now I'm happy enough to just insta-X the call screen.

e: Oh wait nevermind, there's a general "Silence Unknown Callers" option wowee! Today is the day my life begins anew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

E: anyone else getting buttloads of "hi" or "hey, can we talk?" texts from random area codes around the country? I'm pretty sure it's hot single women that want to get to know me but I'm too shy to respond.

These are the ones bombarding my own and half our company's phones lately. Glad its not just us.

(I think the snapchat one was legit)

My name is not John Joe