Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
rainwater no longer safe to drink anywhere on earth is a real doozy of a headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

rainwater no longer safe to drink anywhere on earth is a real doozy of a headline.

it's fine

i was reassured today by someone that read that headline that acid rain was the scare of the 90s and they went outside without melting so people are worried about nothing

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.

Cheer up. Humans will defeat nature with technology, you'll see! You'll all see!!!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Microplastics posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/revealed-car-industry-s-secret-emissions-plan-would-slow-electric-vehicle-uptake-20220805-p5b7pe.html

It is just absolutely wild how even the most modest moves against climate change - things that would actually achieve next to nothing - are still relentlessly opposed. Lol and, if I may be allowed a followup, Lmao

I think this is actually a net positive. Given that Australian electricity is generated by coal and dingo farts this saves us going through the whole handwaving performative art thing of capture at source.

Why did I write that? If dingo farts are as gnarly as dingos look they'd have the average audibly flatulent black lab cowering in terror. Terrible thought. Sorry.

Stevie Lee posted:

i use a Brita™ I'm sure I'm fine

Britas are plastic, as I recall? I'm sure it's fine.

Activated carbon filters don't stay activated long. They do however provide a wonderful substrate for biofilm if you leave them for an extended period of time. At this point though I'm pretty sure that just makes your gut biome more interesting.

SplitSoul posted:

And people laughed at the Bripe.

Whatever the hell that is please tell me it's made using lead solder.

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol bc and newfoundland are both on fire now

people say canadians are lazy but we're burning the candle country at both ends :canada:

Our highest and best destiny - burn it down and gently caress in the ashes. At least we're working on the first part.

Spent some time today in a river bed poking at Upper Cretaceous fossils and thinking about mass extinction events. Young couple came down the trail, eyed the young children in the group and went somewhere else to get naked. Someday we will join the Cretaceous clams embedded in rock and getting splashed with reproductive secretions.

mawarannahr posted:

maybe but it’s not going to stick anymore

At least there's that.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Gonna need that Northwest passage ASAP
https://twitter.com/Greg0706/status/1557195972563927041

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

I mean, what does "unsafe to drink" actually mean? Oh no, I have an elevated risk of getting cancer 20 years from now and I've been rendered impotent :qq:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should use sea water???

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

they should use sea water???

could be totally wrong but I think the problem is with the sea water being at sea level. you'd have to pressurize it to get it to flow into the locks vs gravity feed

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Femur posted:

Why just warn against rainwater? Is tap water better or something?

I'm assuming they were trying to make the point these are chemicals that aren't being added via water infrastructure and that they aren't being removed by the water cycle :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should use gravy

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I mean if we're going to be pumping water we might as well just add another storage pond and pump the water that would be going out into that instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBvclVcesEE

He gets into how they conserve water at ~5 minutes

right now how things work is that they have a few storage tanks in each lock that store most of the water that is used in each run through the locks. If we're going to pump any water, then it would make more sense to pump the last little bit of water out of the locks instead of risking contaminating the upstream waterways with saltwater when boats are going upstream

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

bedpan posted:

could be totally wrong but I think the problem is with the sea water being at sea level. you'd have to pressurize it to get it to flow into the locks vs gravity feed

we have a lotta nukes dont we

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Pff, it's not like these chemicals can last forever. Next good rain will clear em out

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
note: there is no more good rain

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah but the next good rain will fix that

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Encrypted posted:

we have a lotta nukes dont we

nuclear plows, for sharing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol biden....to lease any future land for clean energy the federal goverment must first lease quadruple the total land acreage currently leased to fossil fuels to new exploration. big win for climate

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Wisest Moron posted:

I mean, what does "unsafe to drink" actually mean? Oh no, I have an elevated risk of getting cancer 20 years from now and I've been rendered impotent :qq:

kinda sounds like we should all be drinking more rainwater

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Lol just pissing away hundreds of thousands of lifetimes of fresh water every year so the pedos in Britain can have silk on time

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol i figured they'd just pump seawater in/out, but of course it's way dumber

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lmfao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Wisest Moron posted:

Truth is, rain water has probably been unsafe to drink for 50 years, but no one bothered to look until now

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Real hurthling! posted:

lol biden....to lease any future land for clean energy the federal goverment must first lease quadruple the total land acreage currently leased to fossil fuels to new exploration. big win for climate

You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

holy poo poo

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
THEY ARE NOT USING SEAWATER???

Griz
May 21, 2001

half the canal is a giant artificial freshwater lake that's also the local drinking water source

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
2 billion gallons of fresh water every drat day lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
time to start gene editing humans to drink saltwater

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I don't think we need to worry about humans using rain barrels in regards to rainwater being forever toxic now.

I think at least a few animals require rainwater. Might be bad if they all start dying off.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
NYT opinion piece headline, 2026: "Life: do you really need it to live?"

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

they use more water than the entire country I live in (18m people at an average of 100 gallons)

absolutely bonkers

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

Oryx and Crake is our best case scenario at this point

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
PFAS deez nuts

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

tiberion02 posted:

PFAS deez nuts

lol. lmao!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mediaphage posted:

The Windup Goon

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Griz posted:

half the canal is a giant artificial freshwater lake that's also the local drinking water source

lmao what? don't ships leak fuel and other toxic poo poo like constantly

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

New weather just dropped

https://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20220810-france-s-wildfire-crisis-worsens-as-heatwave-is-blamed-on-double-jet-stream posted:

Wildfires continue to rage in south-western France, destroying at least 16 houses, burning 6,000 hectares of land and forcing the evacuation of almost 6,000 people. Scientists blame the extreme weather on a "double jet stream" meteorological event that has trapped warm air over western Europe.

France, like the rest of Europe, is coping with a series of rolling heatwaves and an ongoing drought that has triggered multiple wildfires across the continent in recent months.

Authorities in the wine-growing Gironde department said in a statement: "The fire is rampant and has now spread to the Landes department," adding that 500 firefighters were mobilised.

The Gironde was hit by two wildfires in July that destroyed more than 20,000 hectares of forest and led to the evacuation of almost 40,000 people.

'Double jet stream' phenomenon

Meteorologists say the recent heat waves are the result of a specific meteorological event, called a "double jet stream", which favours rising temperatures.

Scientists say that France is caught in a so-called "heat dome" between two corridors of the powerful jet stream winds to the north and south, which trap warm air over Western Europe.

Due to climate change, this extreme weather phenomenon is expected to expose western Europe to high temperatures in the years to come.

https://i.imgur.com/yS9A72u.mp4

nature posted:

Both frequency and cumulative intensity of heatwaves show a much faster increasing rate in Europe compared to the rest of the midlatitudes for the large majority of land grid points (Fig. 1c, d). In particular, heatwave days show a mean increase over Europe of +0.61 days/decade, compared to +0.21 days/decade for the rest of the midlatitudes (Fig. 1c), constituting a ~3 times faster rate for Europe.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31432-y

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

God Hole posted:

lmao what? don't ships leak fuel and other toxic poo poo like constantly

I think the water is not supposed to go back into the lake after being put in the canal.

sirtommygunn has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

france is responsible for a huge amount of european ag too lol